• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little known facts about Mr. Game & Watch

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
If you reply to this post, say how many of these (that aren't character specific) you didn't know at the top of your post. I'm just curious.

Most Helpful Tricks
  • 1) While G&W is in his parachute after he UpBs or after he releases the parachute by tapping down/attacking, if he is footstooled, hit by a windbox/water, or hit with an attack that doesn't have knockback, then he will get his UpB back. This applies to Mario's DownB, Link's SideB, Kirby's B, Fox's B, G&W's UpB, G&W's uair, Sheik's UpB, Pit's UpB, Squirtle's B, Snake's grenades, Ness's DownB, Ganon's utilt, DDD's B, and Warioman's Upsmash (Wario + final smash).
  • 2) G&W's Down B, the bucket, stops all of G&W's momentum (this includes after being hit by an attack). To bukit brake is to use G&W's fastest aerial, nair, then use DownB asap. This doesn't work if the bucket is full.
  • 3) UpB and Uair have windboxes. This simple fact allows you to stop all of the momentum of a character simply by hitting them with the windbox. For example, the opponent lands a KO move on your teammate then you hit your teammate with the windbox of either move and the don't die.
  • 4) The windboxes of UpB and Uair restore decay even if you don't do any damage and even there is no noticeable difference that you are attacking something. This restoration occurs if you hit a character, a waddle dee, or any stage object like green green blocks, smashville balloons, yoshi shy guys, and skyworld platforms.

Other Tricks
  • 5) If G&W is being attack from below while standing on a platform (like skyworld or jungle japes) he can UpB to stage spike them. This is because the UpB's windbox goes through the platform and tries to pull the opponent upward with a huge force, but bounces them off of the platform instead.
  • 6) It is possible to perform the second/midair jump AFTER using UpB. To do this, simply attack while in the parachute of the UpB. Simply releasing the parachute by tapping down won't allow you to jump.
  • 7) If getting hit causes you to bounce off of two walls (luigi's mansion or ps1 windmill) you can immediately use any attack instead of having to wait for hitstun. This allows you to bukit instantly, surviving at any percent.
  • 8) The windboxes of UpB and Uair go through solid objects. For example, you can fall beneath Smashville and Uair to hit the opponent waiting for you to get back on the stage. This safely helps restore move decay.
  • 9) If you use bair right before your character lands on the ground, the animation for the attack will appear but no hitbox or lag will occur. This applies to ALL of G&W's aerials, bair is just easiest to do and most noticeable.
  • 10) While hanging off of the right ledge of Yoshi's Island, pressing the jump button while under 100% damage will cancel the jump-from-ledge animation and cause G&W to fall down as if he just released from the ledge. This is very useful in that you are slightly above the stage after jumping, allowing you to stand up on stage from the ledge with shield or any attack. This also works on Pictochat, Distant Planet, and Corneria.
  • 11) The first time you use G&W's SideB in a match, it cannot be a 1. The second time you use SideB, it cannot be a 1 or the number you just threw. The third (fourth, fifth, and so on) time you use SideB, it cannot be the previous two throws. For example, if you first get a 7, then a 4, the next time you use SideB you cannot get 7 or 4.
  • 12) The above rule that you cannot get the two previous numbers thrown from sideB is reset at the beginning of each match or if Sudden Death occurs.
  • 13) G&W's 7 produces an apple even if he hits a shield or stage object (like green greens blocks) and only if G&W's feet are touching the ground.
  • 14) When the opponent is knocked onto the ground, you can "jab lock" them with a 2, 7, or weak hit of fair.
  • 15) G&W's glide toss goes so far that he can actually recatch items he just threw. This works for Link's bombs, Toon Link's bombs, Peach's turnips, and maybe a few others.
  • 16) G&W can dtilt lock most characters against a wall to around 90% or more.
  • 17) Unlike all characters that have a dair that propels the character downward at high speeds, G&W's dair is different. If you try to fast fall his dair, instead the dair will fall slower. You can change the speed of dair at any time during the dair animation.
  • 18) G&W's dthrow animation is the same has his bthrow and uthrow. Only his fthrow is different.
  • 19) If G&W dthrows an opponent near a ledge and they DI toward the ledge, they will get thrown downward off the stage so far that it's almost impossible to recover.
  • 20) There is a certain height that if G&W uses an unfull bucket then lands on the ground, it will re-use the bucket causing the character to just sit there with more lag. You'll notice this by a second beep and a small flash upon landing on the ground.
  • 21) G&W's cartwheel roll has some unique properties. Get as close to the ledge as possible. Then step away about one G&W foot length. If you try rolling to the ledge you'll go no where, you'll only roll in place.

Chracter Specific Tricks
  • Meta Knight: UpB is good against all of MK's B moves to put him in a free-fall state.
  • King DeDeDe: You can dair DeDeDe right out of his suck if you wiggle a lot before he shoots you out. You can wiggle out of suck like wiggling out of grabs.
  • King DeDeDe: UpB outprioritize DeDeDe's Recovery.
  • Olimar: UpB removes 99.9% of attached pikmin.
  • Olimar: Shield Olimar's getup attack, drop shield, then use neutral B. It should greatly help you gimp him.
  • Wolf: Shield Wolf's fmsash, drop shield, fsmash him back.
  • Snake: G&W's bucket (if it isn't full), G&W's Uair, and G&W's dair all destroy Snakes dsmash mine without harming you.
  • Falco: If you have a full bukit while falco is chaingrabbing you, spam downB might get you out (test plz).
  • Pikachu: Bucket lightning in ball form is stronger than the grounded form. It's as strong as pika's thunder.
  • Marth: Shield 4th hit of dancing blade, drop shield, fsmash.
  • Pit: G&W's bair goes through Pit's Mirror Shield at any angle.
  • Ness/Lucas: Uair or UpB their recovery screws them up. This is useful if you can't get their to bukit in time.
  • ZSS: Crouch under grab to avoid it.
  • ZSS: If she DownBs on stage, shield it, then fsmash.
  • Yoshi: Crouch under running grab to avoid it.
  • Wario: If you grab Wario so that his feet dangle off the ledge, you can force a grab release. You can follow up with fsmash, charged dsmash, judgment, or dair spike guaranteed.
  • Wario: If Wario fart's and you uair/UpB at the same time, you'll kill him instantly.
  • Kirby: G&W cannot bucket another G&W's bacon. He can, however, bucket Kirby's bacon.

Yeah I know a LOT about my character =D

Got more? Post them.

Anauel

Smash Cadet
General tip: Uair has a million uses. It's one of the best moves in the game.

Metaknight: If MK goes for a running grab and you spotdodge, you get a free dsmash.
Wario: You can kill wario easily with uair if you catch him while farting. UpB works, but the timing is a lot harder.

I'll try to think some more up. Great post, Zac!

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You can autocancel ledgehopped F-airs and B-airs. Actually, if you do it frame perfectly, the attack ends a few frames before you hit the ground, so you can buffer a D-air.

Up-smash combos into N-air at extremely low percents.

G&W's N-air has the most range at a 40-60 degree angle above him, not directly above him. If another G&W D-airs DIRECTLY above G&W's N-air, it trades hits. Off a bit to the side, D-air is outranged.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Great post, I learned some stuff for my G&W. I counted nine I didn't know.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Oh yeah against really tall characters, I believe Bowser, Ganondorf, and Donkey Kong at least, G&W's D-smash is able to hit them while you stand on the platforms.

Neb

Smash Lord
Knew everything for the most part :).

Upb OOS angled away will slide G&W across his trampoline (nearly off of it!) during the start-up frames. This allows you to space better before his wind hitbox and invincibility frames appear.

You can cancel shield pushback with a spotdodge, allowing you to punish with a wider range of attacks.

Mr. Grey

Smash Cadet
Didnt know 14, 18, 21,

And I certainly need to test that bucket release with falcos chaingrab. Would make that match up a little less stressful :d

Splice

Smash Hero
Didnt know 5,10,21.

Also can't you use Dair at the height of your jump and it makes you go up a little bit whilst using Dair?
And if you want Stage Specific tricks there is that Norfair thing where if your floating and facing a certain direction the lava doesn't hit you.
Also you can Dair without jumping if you run off the stage and DI back, and you can fall through a platform, use Dair quickly and land back on it.

I like this thread :) Hooray for UTD

NatP

Smash Ace
I didn't know 6 and the beggining of 11. I love this thread. Even though I knew most of this, this is still awesome. Also, when meta's shuttle loop and g&w's uair hit at the same time, in some stages, meta will go flying off screen.
Amazing thread. :D

Lightning Tiger

Smash Apprentice
[*]20) There is a certain height that if G&W uses an unfull bucket then lands on the ground, it will re-use the bucket causing the character to just sit there with more lag. You'll notice this by a second beep and a small flash upon landing on the ground.

Hm. Can you put up a vid of this?
and explain it.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
In a similar boat as Neb in that I know each of these myself, though I do appreciate this thread as it seems that there are quite a few others who didnt know some of these.

At the moment I haven't really brainstormed if you missed anything noteworthy, and if I can think of something ill edit this or post later on. Good job Zac!

edits:
-10 and 11 are both really not specific to G&W, I'd like to say.
-The one about his Dthrow one should be stated differently. They dont need to DI to the ledge to get spiked, lack of moving at all can get them "spiked" too but they can always DI behind him to not get spiked.
-Also, you should mention Oil Slicking since that isn't really well known. Besides this maybe mention the specific height of his jump allows him to perform sliding maneuvers on Corneria's fin and it also allows him to to have that fun upB-> bair isjr.
-Little known that bucketing itself is added to the stale moves que and the absorption process affects the bucket yield itself (unless you unstale it in which it becomes a fresh oil panic). This may be why people think low buckets cant kill ever, because they are usually slightly stale because people are impatient with buckets.
-All of his b moves aside from upB have the cool boost mechanic on ledges. Chef will slide while the other ones are boosted.
-Uh not everyone seems to know down aerial can spike. That's noteworthy!
-G&W's parachute floating animation grants him strange immunity to some norfair hazards.
-Some people dont know G&W can go under SV and other stages!
-G&W's parachute can stall in place in MKII's blocks and somewhat on Green Greens.
-G&W can go under the rock and rudder on Pirate Ship.

Feel free to edit any of these you like into your post.
Maybe add a Stage Specific section?

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Well actually all that means is he isnt a true G&W player!

Try to keep this on topic from now on, however, guys. We have the general discussion for that kind of stuff, while this thread actually has some promise in getting little known info out.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
its not my thread ._.

"upB-> bair isjr
what is that?"

God-is-my-Rock said:
Full Hop to INSTANT B-air
Up-B(make sure you do the Up-B which give G&W the furthest horizontal range)
B-air as soon as possible at the top of the up-B
Double jump to instant B-air
Up-B...
It just keeps going. The timing is strict though.
This is apparently possible because the height of his DJ being so similar to his full hop, according to GIMR.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
i knew everything besides 11, altho I did relearn 6. I might have discovered 14 with that stupid up-tilt-->footstool thing from forever ago.

I totally knew the wolf and marth tips by experience too. I don't feel like such a bad G&W anymore =P

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
i feel like a bad G&W
i haven't discovered anything at all ;_;

tho i think you forgot about the possible SH 9 hammer after you freeze your opponent with an 8 hammer

if that counts xD

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
The timing's really strict (I can't do it consistently) but if you Up-B to immediate slowfalled DAir, the aerial will end before you touch the ground, eliminating ending lag.

KirbyIRL

Smash Journeyman
I think the invincibility you get for 24 frames after bucketing projectiles is valid enough for the list in teams.

It's hilarious when GW teams with ZSS or someone and both of your enemies try to stop them from filling the bucket; they both end up hitting eachother and gw just stands there blinking with his newly filled bukit and no damage to show for it.

lou4222

Smash Lord
A trick I just recently learned, although some of you might know it.

On Smashville if you grab metaknight on the platform it allows for a free grab release into whatever you like.

For example the platform is moving to the right, I grab metaknight on my right, he will grab release and the moving platform sets you up perfectly. Use the match or upsmash if they are at high percents or go for the 9 if they are low. I need to test it a bit more, but im pretty sure this is guranteed.

Its situational, but a grab to 9 at low percents would be epic.

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
does that mean that u cann bucket his dsmash?. i never tried the key cause it doesnt look lyk it could work but i'll try these.
you can't bucket it, it just destroys the dsmash mine without doing any harm on you.

kaak

Smash Journeyman
G&W's bucket (if it isn't full), G&W's Uair, and G&W's dair all destroy Snakes dsmash mine without harming you.
Dtilt works to =)

Falco: If you have a full bukit while falco is chaingrabbing you, spam downB might get you out (test plz).

this only works on falco's who can't do the frame perfect cg because you only got 2 frames to do it. Works fine against regular falco's but not on the good ones

Top Bottom