• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Match-up Discussion~ #6: Olimar

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~

Image by ~Madmatica

Olimar

One of my most hated characters in the game D:<

He's just..... >__<
He can camp like a *****. His purple pikmin basically go through anything from what I've seen and his pivot grabs are such a pain to deal with.

So basically he can destroy you if youre far away or is you're up close, but that's if you don't know what you're doing ;)
Like me......

So let's look at what options we have in this match-up!

What to think about.

- What are some of the best moves here?
lol nair
And what moves should we try not to use?
- Each Pikmin and their strengths and weaknesses. It's good to know this if you want to effectively improve your game against Olimar.
- Is Olimar gay?
- What stages should we go to/avoid?

Here's a great way to discuss match ups if you want to use it. Mentioned by Teneban.
1) First thoughts
2) What followups after a jab do we have ?
3) Approaching
4) Defense & camping
5) Edge game
6) The KO stuff
7)Stage stuff

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
OOOOOk the Olimar matchup is really lulzy.

Nair ***** his Usmash and all of his aerials barring Uair, and Luigi's Uair will beat all of Olimar's moveset if you're below him. So keep that in mind when hes in the air. On the ground tornado beats pretty much everything he has as well, so tornado approach is actually really, really safe.

Jab combos essentially are what make this matchup as bad as it is. Jab -> anything is unavoidable for olimar, and you can literally jab cancel him at least 3 times before he has the option to move sometimes. Jab -> UpB kills at 41 if I recall and as long as you're close enough its a guaranteed connect.

65:35 Luigi

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
**** Olimar's *** to hell and back, we've got this!

Nair destroys most of his pikmin/approaches.

Tornados murders his pikimin.

Jab can connect to many things, and to Up B it's virtually inescapable.

These are essentually his most prominantly used and winning tools in this matchups, Olimar lacks anwsers to these.

Careful for Oli's camping though (Which cam mostly be tornadoed through, except possible the purple one? (cant remember) ), and his white pikmin which can rack damage stupidly fast. Olimar can kill at reasonable percentages. His recovery fails, and Luigi's doesn't...as much, so he should be easy enough to gimp.

So 60:40, or 65:35. Most likely 65:35. Good olimars have real trouble against Weegee.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Luigi's only main problem are the red and purple pikmin

Red due to not being able to fireball and purple due to the priority

Otherwise, Luigi has an overall better approach and better killing ideas.

Olimar has huge grab range but Luigi stays in the air so much that it isn't that big a problem

Also, don't Down B too much, olimar can grab Luigi out of it. As said, get olimar above you using n-air, down b (last hit), throws, and even an occasional down smash. Stay away from FD and BF. Pick small stages and force Lolimar to be in a bad position. I prefer playing on smashville over BF since the platforms allow Olimar to stay on the ground and his up air is one of his few saving points in this matchup. Yoshi's and PS1/Lylat are the top choices, followed by SV, followed by BF/FD. Ban FD and Luigi's Mansion. Counterpick Frigate Orpheon, Yoshi's and many other stages.

Luigi has more stages than olimar and a better approach. Luigi vs Olimar is like Marth vs Luigi. Its just that one character has that much better an approach that its difficult for the other character to even try to stay even

60-40 Luigi

65-35 on bad Olimar stages and 60-40 Olimar on FD and 90-10 (:p) olimar on Mansion

TreK

Is "that guy"

Red due to not being able to fireball and purple due to the priority

Otherwise, Luigi has an overall better approach and better killing ideas.

Olimar has huge grab range but Luigi stays in the air so much that it isn't that big a problem

Also, don't Down B too much, olimar can grab Luigi out of it. As said, get olimar above you using n-air, down b (last hit), throws, and even an occasional down smash. Stay away from FD and BF. Pick small stages and force Lolimar to be in a bad position. I prefer playing on smashville over BF since the platforms allow Olimar to stay on the ground and his up air is one of his few saving points in this matchup. Yoshi's and PS1/Lylat are the top choices, followed by SV, followed by BF/FD. Ban FD and Luigi's Mansion. Counterpick Frigate Orpheon, Yoshi's and many other stages.

Luigi has more stages than olimar and a better approach. Luigi vs Olimar is like Marth vs Luigi. Its just that one character has that much better an approach that its difficult for the other character to even try to stay even

60-40 Luigi

65-35 on bad Olimar stages and 60-40 Olimar on FD and 90-10 (:p) olimar on Mansion
I disagree ._.
Orpheon is a really, really bad idea... Lots of people get trapped into playing it against olimar because of the lack of ledge on the 1st part, but do the test and you will see that you will spend twice as much time in the second form of the stage than in the first in a 4-5mn match ; and that form is really really olimar friendly =/
I cp just about everyone but Olimar there lol

Or it may be because I hate the matchup... If you feel like it's the case, teach me 8D

CR4SH

Smash Lord
. On the ground tornado beats pretty much everything he has as well, so tornado approach is actually really, really safe.
If you get predictable with it, tornado becomes very easy to grab and even easier to pivot grab. It's actually olimar's easiest way to rack damage in this matchup. Run away and wait for a tornado to grab. So yeah, be careful. If they like throwing smashes though, yes lol tornado through it and ruin them.

Counterpick Frigate Orpheon, Yoshi's and many other stages.
Luigi's only main problems are yellow and purple pikmin. Yellows have enough priority to actually beat some of luigi's moves. Yellow fair can beat your aerials, yellow upsmash will beat your nair. Purple throw knocks you out of the air if you don't have a sweetspot aerial out, and can knock you out of a tornado too. Purple fsmash can also become a problem if you get predictable.

Frigate orpheon is a terrible place to CP olimar. As a matter of fact it might not be a terrible place for olimar to cp luigi, though nobody would actually do that. The problem is pikmin pluck %s. Frigate gives olimar a pretty large chance to pluck yellows and purples. A line full of yellows and purples is something to be very afraid of. To win a close fight on this stage you'll spend lots of your time baiting pikmin throws to be able to kill the pikmin that are giving you trouble.

As for the no ledge? It really doesn't make any difference. The reason olimar is so easy to gimp is that the ledge really isn't a tool in his recovery. If you've got any handle on how to gimp olimar, any time he has to use the edge he's dead. There should be no reason you ever let oli grab the ledge unless you really ****ed up. So the fact that there isn't one doesn't do you any good.

CP him to rainbow cruise or norfair.

On rainbow cruise just remember to camp out the top part with the walkoffs. He has the advantage there, so its not worth fighting it. Just stall for a better transformation.

On norfair you're going to want to play a very conservative pressure game. You can jump up and bair through the platforms because oli's grab range covers the whole platform. What you're going to want to do is use the ledges on the bottom and second platforms to pressure oli upwards. Once you've got him on the top platform play a chip pressure game, don't take any chances, just keep him uncomfortable. You should be able to do a bit of damage every time until he manages to move. That's when he's most vulnerable, so if you see him starting to want to get out, make him think you're letting him out then go hit him (I wish I could explain that better). If you keep this up you should be at a % lead by the time the lava forces you together, and you can get a kill without too much trouble.

LSDX

Wah!
I'm looking forward to versing one of them buggers.

I never knew Luigi nair > Oli usmash. I may have to learn to not be such a cyclone...

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
Coming from someone who plays both characters, here is my advice as Luigi against Oli.

When approaching from the air, approach him from diagnal angles. 45, 135, 225, and 315 degrees. Oli has good aerials, but you have a few more frames when trying to approach like that. If you fight on the ground, you will lose.

Go to the oli boards and read up on whistling. If you can keep track of his whistles (which Pikmin will come out next), you can predict alot about him. You can tell a good Oli by how well they whistle, and how well they keep track of the order. If he is good with his whistle and uses it to swap purples to the front of the line, careful since he will most likely go for the kill...

Plucking: Olimar can pluck cancel when he is replenishing his stock of pikmin. This means the first pluck he can cancel into a smash. From the second pluck and on though, punish if able. Also, another sign of a good olimar is he does not overpluck.

Lastly, since purples are Oli's best defense against weegee because their insane priority, NEVER leave Olimar near an edge to pluck freely. Purple and White pikmin land closer on the ground to Oli than reg/green/yellow, so he can pluck when spaced properly near an edge, and all but the purple/white pikmin will fall off the edge of the stage, leaving oli with purple and white only.

My 2 cents.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
use stupid amounts of nair and bair, when olimar does a pitiful shorthop side b use some down-b, then proceed to spam grabs until you can land a jab-up-B

.Phyro.

Smash Rookie
On to the next match up... luigi king just explain it all... i play richbrown all the time he is "SOCAL POWER RANK" and uses olimar everything lk said is true...

jbandrew

Smash Lord
I still have a horribly hard time beating Olimar with Luigi.... it just never happens. how do I play this matchup? Should I jst stand there and wait?? Cuz I feel like If I approach i just get ***** =/...

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
According to Crash, you can safely hit Olimar's shield with Nair and get a Jab out before his grab connects.

Can I assume that means I need to fast fall, and perform the Nair when I get really close to the ground? I mean REALLY close, so that the hitbox is active for, like, 1 frame?

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Press A, then calmly let go of the A button, gently hold up on the control stick, and press B right afterwards. After that press up on the D-pad.

yoshq

Smash Master
According to Crash, you can safely hit Olimar's shield with Nair and get a Jab out before his grab connects.

Can I assume that means I need to fast fall, and perform the Nair when I get really close to the ground? I mean REALLY close, so that the hitbox is active for, like, 1 frame?
I'd like to know how this works as well.

holyv

Smash Journeyman
Down b get past from pikmins, to prevent camping.
Luigi can gimp olimar easily

Olimar has more range.
Olimar can hit luigi from a distance where luigi can't hit him back.

55:45 Luigi

holyv

Smash Journeyman
Olimar still suffers from stun after luigi's jab, like you said: Press the a button, then up b, then up on the d pad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom