• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Back Room Reopening

D

Deleted member

Yes it has been a few months now but the MBR has been revived. New members have been added and are still being added, and a slew of new activity has come with it. Here's what you can expect from the MBR over the new few months:

1. New standard rule set.
2. New membership additons to the MBR.
3. A first attempt at a Teams Tier List.
4. Full coverage and analysis of *Pound* 4.
5. A small set of community-wide definitions.
6. More MBR Leadership to be added to a maximum of 3.
7. Old and/or inactive members will be removed en masse.

If you are removed from the MBR and would like your MBR status back, just PM me for it. I just want to be sure it is full of active posters. While we're adding new members, some new members are encouraged to join us at this time. The MBR has taken a vote, and we collectively want these people:

DaShizWiz
Pakman
Sliq
VaNz
KevinM
PockyD

I would also like to present an updated Stage List at this time. The stage list is a portion of the recommended rule set. That said, it is recommended, not forced in any way.

Singles

Starter Strike Stage List-
Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
Past Stages: Dream Land
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List-
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
Planet Zebes: Brinstar

Teams

Starter Strike Stage List-
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Past Stages: Dream Land
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List-
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
Planet Zebes: Brinstar

This announcement is open for any kind of discussion. Have at it! New members, join the MBR by going to User CP, then to Group Memberships and join from there.

Eggm

Smash Hero
By reopening do you mean available for the public to read but not post like it was before? That would be cool.

LLDL

Smash Hero
I agree with letting Shiz in the BR, but he's not really an active poster lol.

LAX_

Smash Apprentice
Does this mean non BR members can see what is going on in the BR but not post? That would be nice.

@slartibartfast42
pokemon stadium is neutral only on i think 2 of the 5 transformations. the other ones would be banned if they were stand alone stages. but since they only last sometime, and since you have a warning of the stage change prior, it is a counterpick and not banned.
go to the fox character specific section and look at the thread named "this ruleset sucks" they explained it better there.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Seems interesting. Can't wait to see some new things come about.

Team tier list would be interesting lol, I'm curious to see how you guys determine if Ness & Kirby is a better team than Yoshi & GaW.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
I think he means like which character performs the best in teams

I don't know they may do that too though.

D

Deleted member

I think it's better off with individual teams. it's going to be a hard call picking between fox/jigglypuff or peach/sheik and the like.

added pakman and vanz to the MBR.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
I tried to join the MBR and got rejected about 2 weeks ago =/

So is this just open for those people in the first post or something? >_>;

Pokemon Stadium as counter-only is absolutely horrid. Could somebody show me the argument FOR the stage to be counter-only?

WaveLength

Smash Apprentice
Pokemon Stadium as a counter pick only? Explain, please.

I'm curious as to how that Team Tier list will turn out.

D

Deleted member

PS as CP is a result of having 6 neutrals to start with and wanting to incorporate stage striking.

john!

Smash Hero
Stadium is counter! I've been wanting this for ages. That stage is wack.

But I hope that this is a sign of Melee's comeback.

EDIT: Wait wtf no Mute?! Well it's just a suggested list anyway. At least Green Greens and Floats are out.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Can you guys re-do the recovery tier list? Kirby having a good recovery according to the list seems off to me. It's so gimpable.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
lol who says brawl is ban happy? if anything they're too lenient, like people who want pictochat to be legal XD.

Stage striking is a good way to do tourney sets, and it needs an odd number of stages. Either you add DK64 or you remove stadium, and honsestly, I'm fine with stadium being gone. Stage transformations have tons of random edges and stuff that screw people up.

If you look at the way striking works, you're never going to play on stadium anyways if the other person doesn't want to, because they'll just strike it. You can still counterpick it, and for those like thumbswayup who think fountain should be CP instead, just strike it. Really, if you don't like a stage, you just strike it. Most people only have two or three stages they don't want to play on in the neutrals, and this way you can get rid of them and play on something neither player minds. You can still counterpick stadium, so who cares? The only difference is fox players won't randomly get lucky and get stadium first match, but peach won't get dreamland, and marth won't get yoshi's story, etc, unless you actively take them there because it's striking. Having stadium or FoD or something else made to be a counterpick makes ZERO difference in stage striking, because it's always going to end up on a more neutral stage like dreamland or FD. If you have two fox players, they can AGREE to play stadium first match if they really want to.

Devil Ray

Smash Lord
agreed, mute is worse than brinstar. i still don't think either stage should be allowed, they're both ridiculous.

btw, can anyone explain the sequence for picking stages for the loser and winner??? from what i read in the pound 4 thread, it seems like it's just the loser gets to ban a stage first

-do you ban a stage after or after you pick characters(players might switch for the second match) ?
-why does the loser get first ban and the stage choice?

rhan

Smash Hero
PS is BS as a counterpick.

I feel the BF deserves to be a CP insted but that's just my opinion.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I think it's better off with individual teams. it's going to be a hard call picking between fox/jigglypuff or peach/sheik and the like.
Not to mention there would be a billion combos in the list.

Clint_Eastwood

Smash Apprentice
If you want to Revive Melee then stop trying to make it bland and predictable. That stage selection is incredibly boring.

You know which stage is never boring, though? (and in my lowly opinion, quite balanced)

...Pokemon Stadium.

Pokemon stadium is balanced about half of the time. And that's a pretty generous generalization.

The other half it's usually a bull**** imbalanced stage.

ru5514n

Smash Ace
PS is only balanced in its neutral stage. Most other transformations can overwhelmingly favorable toward certain characters and strategies (infinite waveshines, Peach's d-smash against a wall, weird edges, etc.) However, I would be hesitant to remove the stage from the neutrals list completely, mostly because it only leaves five other neutral stages, and PS itself is in "default" transformation most of the time.

And I fully support MC being banned.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
If you want to Revive Melee then stop trying to make it bland and predictable. That stage selection is incredibly boring.

You know which stage is never boring, though? (and in my lowly opinion, quite balanced)

...Pokemon Stadium.
Actually it's VERY boring alot of the time, because in two of the stage changes, most good players will just camp on either side of the tree/cliff and just wait until it changes back. That's definitely interesting.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Pokemon Stadium literally turns into Onett. That's generally not going to be a neutral stage.

Eggz

Smash Hero
I want in the BR T_T
My application was rejected as a joke, which was kind of offensive and pretty much just reassured me that the BR is still about has-beens and people who aren't even good deciding the way of the community.

Granted I am a spammy *****, but when the time comes around I ****.

Wschl

Smash Apprentice
Is there any reliable argument for banning Mute City?
"peach and jiggs are 2 strong atm" lol.
srsly. Cars are not that random.

good choice with banning poke stadium anyway.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
mute city:

no edges
(one of the) largest blastzone(s)
stage changes with hazardous ground
for a solid chunk of time the stage consists of a stage smaller than yoshi's or FoD, has no edges or platforms and no track under it.

none of that hurts characters who can stay in the air for long periods of time (puff/peach) and really hurts everyone else, to the point where it is completely unfair. For example, on saturday I beat a peach on FD then got 2 or 3 stocked on MC (using marth)

Sliq

Smash Master
Holy ****, I'm being recommended and ****. It must be mah berfday.

Also, it's pointless to ban Mute City, it's not an auto win for either Peach or Jigglypuff. Neither is Brinstar.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
DK64 should take Fountain of Dreams' place as a neutral. Hands down.

EDIT: @Sveet: I'm not sure those are good reasons for banning Mute City. I think those are reasons why Mute City is a good counterpick for Peach and Puff. It gives them the advantage--that's what a counterpick is supposed to be. Believe me, I had the same situation happen to me the other day when a Peach counterpicked Brinstar. It's rough but that's why you have a counterpick as well.

RetroAntonio

Smash Apprentice
What is the MBR? I wanna join. I'm most likely one of the youngest smashers here, and I'm not bad. If I can fight some humans...that'd be great.

Top Bottom