• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario's Week 18 Matchup REDISCUSSION: Falco!

Padô

Smash Lord
This week:

Falco!

Please don't come here saying: "CG PWNzzZzz HArdz0r!1 368-0"

He's got a good spam and a very effective way to camp.

I think this a good issue to start discussing.

Good Discussion!

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
I start of the match playing really safe as to not get CG'd and risk messing up and losing a stock.
(When you're standing on a platform on like BF, you can shield grab falco's aerials even though he's not all the way through the platform.)

From 53%-70% you can start the buffered downthrow CG that goes to around 120% After that I usually uthrow and bait the airdodge for a clap or fart.

The only hard part of this matchup is approaching.
His lasers and camping in general are REALLY good and annoying to deal with.

It's especially annoying when his lasers eat our jump :(
when this happens to me i often get buffer ****ed and miss the auto cancel on an aerial and wind up getting grabbed >_<

Random things to note:
-Watch out for Jab>Grab, that ****'s gay as hell. He can jab you as you're rolling away then grab, so you cant roll away lol. Try to SDI it
-Don't spotdodge unless you are 100% sure he's grabbing, otherwise you're open to be grabbed afterwards
-SDI THE SPIKE!!!!!! this is incredibly important! SDI towards the stage when you're being spiked and tech so that there's no risk of being gimped.
-Falco Can Grab Release>Spike at the edge, but it's easy to SDI because you start from really high up and its easy to time the SDI inputs
-Recover high, trust me
-don't airdodge into his fsmash, or into him at all really LOL
-Our nair and dsmash EASILY interrupt falco's illusion

When you interrupt falco's illusion he will have a LOT of landing lag next time he touches the ground. So be ready to punish that.

Also falco's kill moves (aside from bair) are REALLY easy to predict

I'll add more later

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Well, actually, certain moves can only beat Illusion at start up or ending frames, b/c it has increased priority in the middle. I think Fiction claimed that dsmash will always at least clank.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You can also sometimes Bite them out of it. Like, "clank" with it. Falco will look like he is gonna be eaten, and it will look like the Cypher gimp we do to Snake.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
If it acts like a cypher gimp, why not? That's like as close to guaranteed death for Falco as it gets. He falls, you can either go for a stage spike/edgeguard or you can edgehog. Poof.

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
oh i see...

are you sure he cant up b again? because i thought those sort of gimps only worked on character who dont go into helpless mode after their recovery move (Snake, GnW, etc.)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
He can Upb, however he is so low that by this point if you can't outright edgehog him, you can Fair him/Knock him a tad and then edgehog with ease.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
You gotta bite him at startup or near end. Also, it sucks b/c if they have fast reflexes they can just side B onto the stage/ledge before they fall at all. BUT, it COULD net you a surprise gimp/kill.

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
wooow, I gotta try that. So stay near the ledge and just time the bite? Or can I just hold it out?
It's not easy to do.

overall, nair is best for interrupting illusion.

but dsmash is good if they are at high % because they will most likely not DI it and you can get an easy surprise kill.

don't forget that when you interrupt illusion, they get like 30 frames of landing lag or something ridiculous next time they touch the stage

ChomP

Smash Cadet
Do you guys think falco is easier to beat on japes rather than FD? I beat some falcos on japes, but they aren't good. :(

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Do you guys think falco is easier to beat on japes rather than FD? I beat some falcos on japes, but they aren't good. :(
Japes is banned in my region so I wouldn't know. The only falco i played on Final D wrecked me so I would suggest banning that stage against him.

ChomP

Smash Cadet
alright cool, I usually ban FD against falcos anyways. I prefer fighting them on japes. lol

ChomP

Smash Cadet
Falcos also use their illusion a lot on japes from what i've noticed.

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
Falcos also use their illusion a lot on japes from what i've noticed.
yes, they have a lot of illusion tricks. This combined with the platform set up makes they're camping really efficient.

also the high ceiling is gay because i usually kill falco off the top with uair because fsmash is risky in this matchup.

ChomP

Smash Cadet
You kill them with uair? What percent do they die at with a fresh uair? I usually use fsmash when I'm above the chain grabbing percent.

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
You kill them with uair? What percent do they die at with a fresh uair? I usually use fsmash when I'm above the chain grabbing percent.
freash uair starts killing above 100% pretty much.

but like, falco can still do stuff besides CG to punish.

like a whiffed fsmash can end in you getting usmashed or grabbed and thrown for like 15% (if you count pummels)

im not saying to not fsmash but i definitely don't kill with it often.

Gichan

Smash Champion
yeah, **** falco on japes, it is A LOT harder than FD. That cg to spike, if you don't tech it, you're gone. it's worse than on FD cause at least you can mindgame yourself back on the stage.

Illusion all over the place, laser laser, illusion on to ledges. It's ridiculous.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
erm, its easier for them to camp on japes i think.

also the CG to spike shouldnt be a factor because you should always SDI it and tech
I guess I need to get my tech skill up.

Anyways Japes isn't a stage you want to see falco on neither is final D. Also I don't see how one stage makes it easier for them to camp as opposed to another one.

Gichan

Smash Champion
it's their ability to get around much faster on japes then on FD by grabbing on the ledges so they don't have that little lag at the end of the move. And I also feel that the cg to spike is worse on japes, so personally japes is more dangerous then FD.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
CG spike should never kill you on japes unless they're spiking you into a klaptrap. Also, Wario should never die to Falco on Japes ever.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
About the Phantasm interruption...

The first half of the teleporting part of the Phantasm is filled with invincibility frames, so if you want to get them at the beginning you have to go for the start-up frames. At the second half of the Phantasm, you can interrupt it with pretty much EVERYTHING so long as you time it right. The whole idea is that it's easier to do with longer lasting hitboxes because it makes the timing easier.

Dsmash won't kill when you use it to interrupt the Phantasm unless you are capable of timing it in the first frames, in which case you would also have been capable to use fsmash or whatever. The good thing is that at high percentages, a dsmash weakbox would be a decent gimp if the second half of the Phantasm isn't done on-stage, but rather aerial (mostly because of the weird knockback angle the thing seems to feature...).

If timing isn't your thing, Nair works fine of course. Fair is also decent if you're more confident in your timing capabilities, and hell it does 2% more damage undiminished...

And there I almost forgot about Dair, it has quite the lasting hitbox as well.

On Bite: I wouldn't recommend it, it looks cool and such and you could say it would be a surprise gimp offstage, but really Nair would do the job in the same fashion, only more effective and less risky.

toobusytocare

Smash Lord

The first half of the teleporting part of the Phantasm is filled with invincibility frames, so if you want to get them at the beginning you have to go for the start-up frames. At the second half of the Phantasm, you can interrupt it with pretty much EVERYTHING so long as you time it right. The whole idea is that it's easier to do with longer lasting hitboxes because it makes the timing easier.

Dsmash won't kill when you use it to interrupt the Phantasm unless you are capable of timing it in the first frames, in which case you would also have been capable to use fsmash or whatever. The good thing is that at high percentages, a dsmash weakbox would be a decent gimp if the second half of the Phantasm isn't done on-stage, but rather aerial (mostly because of the weird knockback angle the thing seems to feature...).

If timing isn't your thing, Nair works fine of course. Fair is also decent if you're more confident in your timing capabilities, and hell it does 2% more damage undiminished...

On Bite: I wouldn't recommend it, it looks cool and such and you could say it would be a surprise gimp offstage, but really Nair would do the job in the same fashion, only more effective and less risky.
I find it easier to hit with the strong part of dsmash than fsmash. but idk lol

Waft-OLi

Smash Journeyman

can you get a replay or record it? if you cant record it make a replay and send it to me i want to see it.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
I bet this match up is extremely ******** ;o
this man bets the truth

either falco is gonna be gay to wario, or wario is gonna be gay to falco. either way the matchup is rather boring.

Wario's game: chaingrab and dodge lasers
Falco's game: chaingrab and try to pile damage with lasers
Crowd: lets watch something else

done! next rediscussed match up?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Gay for both sides? 55:45 Wario, possibly 6:4.

Peach on Brinstar that is.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Gay for both sides? 55:45 Wario, possibly 6:4.

Peach on Brinstar that is.
not exactly gay. its just boring.

I havnt fought any GOOD peaches but that would be a matchup ide love to keep away from.

Top Bottom