• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK's Hitboxes

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Here is the video with DK's hitboxes shown via frame hacks and modifactions the DK's .pac in PSA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qExAo_hAXhI. I did most of the PSA hacking and Chaosgriffin did the recording and helped me out with some of PSA hacking as well. The fixes for down b, up b , and the pivot grab (omitted by accident) will be in the next video when we find out how to fix down b. I will post the .pac later as well if you are interested in looking at it or helping us figure out how to get down b working.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Nice, thanks for showing them. =)

Could you maybe do all of DKs moves in the second video without slowmotion? It would help too, and maybe on a stage with a background where you can see the hitboxes better (like Pictochat or something) and without a tag, because sometimes you don't really see the hitboxes that well (especially fair). (also could you do angled up/down ftilt?)

I actually thought he would have just a very little bit more range. Maybe it just seems a bit smaller, because he leans forward often... ^^

crifer

Smash Lord
lol somehow it seems, that DK has not that insane range we thought,
but it´s only bc his head is going in the direction of the move,lol.

Conclusion: DK´s power comes from his head.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
lol somehow it seems, that DK has not that insane range we thought,
but it´s only bc his head is going in the direction of the move,lol.

Conclusion: DK´s power comes from his head.
DK has more power in his head than Mewtwo.

Seriously, though. DK's range is amazing. His arms are just gigantic.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
How uninteresting. Most of his hitboxes are exactly where his limbs are. =/

B-air is cool, I'm pretty sure you also forgot Dash Attack btw.

F-air is funny. The hitbox stretches more towards the Z-axis the longer it lingers lol.

Silfa

Smash Ace
Many of them were where I thought they'd be too, but it's really cool nonetheless. Nice work guys.

I thought many of them seemed pretty underwhelming at first in terms of range before I realised how he leans forward on some of them. Dair was lol though.

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
Watching his grabs makes me wanna say "stretch them fangles DK!"... </3 dash grab

Just a thought if you do another video... do dsmash over the edge maybe, since it kidna goes below his fists right? At least it feels that way (just a little)

No huge surprises, but i was surprised at the distance behind him it hits on the aerial punch

Edit: Nice DK suit & tie

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
In the next video could you do the moves on a platform?

bair is amazing. It's like the size of DK's body, but next to him.

D0N

Smash Ace
In the next vid you should add in a pivot grab to see exactly how much extra range we get if any

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
The platform lets us see how far below the ground DK's hit boxes go. The main move I would want to see is dsmash but after seeing that fsmash is pretty low I'd like to see it too. Oh yeah and down b once that gets working.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
now we can see why its so easy to hit DK out of his recovery, his hitboxes dont cover a lot

also, i think this is cool because if you look closely, nair has a small hitbox below it, and uair's hitbox ends in front of DK, so perhaps we can implement this into a safer aproach when facing the opponent? it would be good to be able to mix up our approaches so its not only bair, bair, bair, bair....

Luigi player

Smash Master
now we can see why its so easy to hit DK out of his recovery, his hitboxes dont cover a lot

also, i think this is cool because if you look closely, nair has a small hitbox below it, and uair's hitbox ends in front of DK, so perhaps we can implement this into a safer aproach when facing the opponent? it would be good to be able to mix up our approaches so its not only bair, bair, bair, bair....
Yeah you can also sh uair fast fall autocancel. It's nice and you can also retreat with it while facing the opponent, although I'm not sure how useful this is...

yes it can.
It never works for me. =/ the strong hit of dair never hits MK out of the tornado, same with fairs spike (~last frames of the fair). They always clank and I get hit... I hate it. It's easier to hit MK out of the tornado with bair, uair or even nair, lol (because it's at least possible somehow).

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
It never works for me. =/ the strong hit of dair never hits MK out of the tornado, same with fairs spike (~last frames of the fair). They always clank and I get hit... I hate it. It's easier to hit MK out of the tornado with bair, uair or even nair, lol (because it's at least possible somehow).
really? if i can get it out in time it always works for me

also, can you guys test the hitbox on a 9 punch? i swear it's different than the full charge

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
really? if i can get it out in time it always works for me

also, can you guys test the hitbox on a 9 punch? i swear it's different than the full charge
It has the same hitboxes as a fully charged punch, just a tad smaller.

@MK26 I can send you my .pac through AIM. Just tell me your AIM name if you are still interested.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
also, just for mental images, could you test the different ftilt angles? I wanna see where up angled hits, and whether or not i can ftilt people off the ledge with a down angled one

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
also, just for mental images, could you test the different ftilt angles? I wanna see where up angled hits, and whether or not i can ftilt people off the ledge with a down angled one
I'll try and make sure that happens in the next video.

Is there anything you guys would like to have changed in the next video? Things that could be done differently or better?

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
Well i was doing it by myself so that why there is a delay, if I were to do all of the things that you guys are requesting, it would a really really long video like 15-20 minutes.

So I was thinking, in the new video why not only slow down and show the moves frame by frame for the moves that were left out or hard to see to in the first video, and others things. So far the list is. . .

Pivot Grab
Dash Attack
Fixed Down B (on platform) (and by ledge)
Fixed Up B (grounded and aerial)
Fair
Up Smash
Forward smash (on platform)
Down smash (on platform) (and by ledge)
Angled Forward tilts (up and down) (also near edge for down angled)
Ledge get up attacks (below and over 100%)
Get up attacks (from back and stomach)
Trip get up attack

Also real time for all moves, each move will be done twice or more.

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
What about get up attacks from the ledge under and over 100%, and get up attacks from DK's back, stomach, and after tripping? Wouldn't it be helpful to include things like that as well?

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
Completely forgot about those. ok updated
If I recall correctly from watching the Ganon hitbubble vid, it was necessary to use the other player to deal enough damage to Ganon to knock him over onto the ground (either the back or the stomach depending on the way he lands) to portray the get up attack from his back and stomach.

And there is only one get up attack from tripping, which is from the sitting position. Just thought I would further clarify based on what I remember seeing =)

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
In the up b I messed up on the looping so it kept getting brighter as the hitbox glows kept stacking on each other. I fixed it before the video but I forgot to send chaosgriffin the fixed version in time.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
I can not figure what to do, where to go, or even how to start fixing DK's down b. If anybody finds out anything, learns anything. Please let me or Big O know thank you.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Would you guys like a different color for the hitboxes? I was thinking of making the color red or green. I think it will also get rid of the faint glow the hitboxes had in the first video.

Top Bottom