• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Blog of the Week: A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words...

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Link to original post: [drupal=2796]A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words...[/drupal]

Or so they say.

I love reading. Reading gives me a world of my own to create and give shape to. When the book explains what the surroundings look like, it only stimulates my imagination further. I make things look exactly what I think they should look like.

I love writing just as much. It gives me the oppurtunity to explain what the world looks like to me, to other people. Even more so, I love writing about a person's thoughts. Wether it be a character, me or anyone or anything else. I just love to take a look inside someone's minds and fully know them.

I love watching animated pictures, or movies if you will. It gives me a feeling of comfort to be able to just watch a picture without much thought. However, this makes me extremely lazy and limits my imagination to a near minimum.

Where do these three collide? (two actually, writing isn't really involved.)
When I watch a movie of a book I have read. This is one of the biggest killjoys for me. I haven't had this happen often before, as I'm young and haven't read many books before seeing the animated picture.
The best example I have for this is 'The Chronicles of Narnia'. I read this book (or collection of stories) a few years ago, before the first movie was made. It was one of the best stories I had read (especially the Voyage of the Dawn Trader, but never mind that). Soon, the first Narnia movie came out (The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe). Needless to say, I saw the movie. I didn't say A SINGLE WORD while watching. At the end I was so sad. Everything I imagined in the book was null, because the pictures I had seen in real would never go away. (WHAT HAS BEEN SEEN CANNOT BE UNSEEN.)
Lucy never looked like such a whiny girl in my imagination, Edmund made me do a :S face. Aslan was a lion? I never imagined him as an ACTUAL LION. I know he is portrayed as a lion, but he was a metaphor to me. (Yes, I know how this is based on Christianity blablabla.) To take my imagination and let it be spoiled by the animated pictures was entirely my fault. I promised myself to NEVER watch a Narnia movie again, to not spoil any further stories.

Now I also had the opposite end of this story. First, I saw the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Not too soon after, I found out we have the complete book. I went to read it, which took about a year (I read slow and take my time), and I enjoyed it a great lot. However, I could never imagine things differently than it was in the movies. Frodo was Elijah Woods, Gollem was the... thing he was, etc. The only times where I could use my own imaginations were the parts that were in the book, but not in the movies, like the house of Tom Bombadil and his wife Goldberry. Those parts were also the most beautiful and most impressive parts.

What does this mean to me?
An image spoils your imagination. A thousand words describe something not as accurate as a picture, but they always leave the shape up to you.
Thanks for reading this horribly shaped blog, I hope you can imagine your own view around this. Don't make me include pictures

Omis

my friends were skinny
Not really too related but whenever I read novels I have great details going on in my mind. Everything is so clear..............but the faces. Im not really sure why but I can never imagine the characters face even if I have seen the actor or if the author describes the character really well. All of them are mearly faceless.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
good read Gf2tw, I can't agree more. I may be biased having majored in English, but there's really no comparing the mind's eye to a presentation. I used to read the DrangonLance novels over and over, picturing my own world as it unfolded, and though I had some help w/the imagery from Larry Elmore to help out, I never did quite picture raistlin and caramon as such, always had my own image of them. I read the LoTR before the movies, but not before seeing the cartoon, and that did make it more difficult to imagine. I guess the lesson here is Spoilers are spoilers, and it's something to consider at all times. If you don't want to ruin your chance at a vivid portrayal using your imagination, definitely allow yourself the chance to read a novel vs watching it on TV or in the movies.

Eyada

Smash Apprentice
This was a good read, and I agree. Movies/Books do not mix well.

Many years ago, I saw a few scenes from some old film version of The Chronicles of Narnia. All of the talking animals (Reepicheep, badgers, beavers, etc) were actors in laughably bad costumes and Aslan was a puppet/stuffed prop (which apparently didn't have a fully functional mouth because whenever he spoke his jaw would slowly move up-and-down totally out of sync with his words).

There was this one scene where the camera looked at Aslan from behind as he walked away. Words really cannot adequately describe just how horrifyingly bad this scene was. The puppet was flopping all over the place, and it didn't have enough stuffing in it so Aslan looked like he was starving to death. His legs looked limp and atrophied and they drug along the floor as he bobbed up and down. My childhood memories were instantly and irreparably shattered by it.

The new Narnia movies, as bad as they are, are amazing in comparison.

I can't remember anything else about the film or I would try to find the footage.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
I do sometimes lament the new generation's dependency on CGI in visual media. I liked the puppets in old kid's movies (not talking about the old Narnia here). Maybe it's the creepiness that only comes from a talking puppet that appealed to me.

For books, I have a horrible time visualizing anything. Faces, places, flying cars, robots, mountains, countrysides, city streets, quiet suburbia. A tree. I read stories without "seeing" them. This may have something to do with why I'm so sparse on visual details in my own writing. When I need an image, I have to go steal it from somewhere else and attempt to recreate it in word form.

How do you handle books with bad covers then?

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
How do you handle books with bad covers then?
What do you mean with bad covers? Like, with a drawing/picture up front?
Most books I read or see in the stores don't have a real drawing/picture of what the story is about, but rather something that outlines the story in general, while others have barely anything revealing on the cover. If I do see a book with a revealing cover about what the world would look like (think of the main characters standing in the world with face visible), I get turned off a bit by it. I missed out on some good stories because of this. The one exception was Lord of the Rings with Gandalf going trough the rain. This doesn't count, because I only knew Gandalf as the dude in the movies :/.

Thanks for your replies, and yea, I can understand what you mean with the faces. I prefer my characters faceless, I would just worry too much about a face. I think of a major lineout of him (if the author describes him), like hair, maybe clothing and colour of skin, not much else. The surroundings however, I can fully imagine.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
What do you mean with bad covers? Like, with a drawing/picture up front?
Most books I read or see in the stores don't have a real drawing/picture of what the story is about, but rather something that outlines the story in general, while others have barely anything revealing on the cover.
Wow. I really do hail from some bygone era, don't I?

Behold the relics of my childhood:
http://www.cracked.com/article_14790_best-worst-fantasy-science-fiction-book-covers.html

http://io9.com/5308681/can-you-come-up-with-a-science-fiction-book-cover-worse-than-these

They don't make 'em like they used to.

I should make a thread on old video game box art.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
OP you have hit the nail on the head. I feel the exact same way.

I read the Harry Potter series and everything I had imagined, the setting, the characters, it all felt perfect. Once I saw the movies, the images in my mind (once I went to reread) were distorted, parts of the movies would flash in and push aside my already conceived impressions and appearance of an individual or setting.

Whereas LOTR and Eragon were the opposite. I saw the movies first and then proceeded to read the books. Much from the movies was planted in my mind as I read, If I had never seen a picture of Gollem, I would be certain I'd have imagined a different form of Gollem then from the film.
Luckily a lot of the book was never included in the movies.

Read the books first, movies are pretty much a crappy summary that ruin the joy of reading. ^_^

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Zie post op SmashEU
:ace:

Unvote: Crack
Vote: Wingz
I think you are trying to plant the seed of chaos into smashboards, wich is something scum would do.

But I don't give a crap.

Unvote: girlfriend2

Vote: Jens

Because he thinks he's Italian.

Ontopic, I totally agree with what you say about books, it's wonderfull to be able to "escape reality" for a litle time. Right now I'm reading Shadow of a Dark Queen, by Raymond E. Feist.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority

Clint_Eastwood

Smash Apprentice
I think you are trying to plant the seed of chaos into smashboards, wich is something scum would do.

But I don't give a crap.

Unvote: girlfriend2

Vote: Jens

Because he thinks he's Italian.

Ontopic, I totally agree with what you say about books, it's wonderfull to be able to "escape reality" for a litle time. Right now I'm reading Shadow of a Dark Queen, by Raymond E. Feist.
I just started Magician: Master and it is pretty bad. Are his later works good?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Wow. I really do hail from some bygone era, don't I?

Behold the relics of my childhood:
http://www.cracked.com/article_14790_best-worst-fantasy-science-fiction-book-covers.html

http://io9.com/5308681/can-you-come-up-with-a-science-fiction-book-cover-worse-than-these

They don't make 'em like they used to.

I should make a thread on old video game box art.
That is my new favorite website. I'm embarrassed to say I'd never read Cracked or visited the site... but after reading the article on Twilight, yah, they're my new heroes.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Loooool, that's well before my time.
Stop making me feel old. >_<

after reading the article on Twilight, yah, they're my new heroes.
I liked this part:

"Edward, being a thirteen-year-old girl, thinks Bella has died and goes to Italy to commit suicide. He attempts to do this by exposing himself to the sun at noon in an Italian town. Since sunlight doesn't actually harm Twilight vampires, one must assume that Edward is hoping some macho Italians will see him in at full sparkle and beat him to death for being gay."

Obvious contradiction is obvious.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Stop making me feel old. >_<
Like the sultan objects to jaffar lol "but... but... you're so oooold."

I liked this part:

"Edward, being a thirteen-year-old girl, thinks Bella has died and goes to Italy to commit suicide. He attempts to do this by exposing himself to the sun at noon in an Italian town. Since sunlight doesn't actually harm Twilight vampires, one must assume that Edward is hoping some macho Italians will see him in at full sparkle and beat him to death for being gay."

Obvious contradiction is obvious.
Hahaha there's so many great quips in that article, and funny pics too!

But my favorite is their bit about Breaking Dawn:

Long story short: Bella gets pregnant. It goes downhill from there.

After a bunch of vampire/werewolf crap that nobody cares about, Jacob, Edward and Edward's sister all gather around Bella waiting for Edward's doctor father to return so that he can help her birth the fast-growing demon spawn. Bella has one ****ing job, which is to not mess up until the doctor arrives. Being an adorably klutzy flawed heroine, she can't manage it. She trips on her way to the bathroom, and the reader is treated to the sound of the placenta displacing (a 'muffled ripping sound'--thanks for the image, Meyer, you *****) and a description of Bella's bladder releasing, racehorse-like urine flowing down her legs and onto the floor and - oh wait, this is a Stephenie Meyer novel, so the heroine only does more delicate things. Like 'vomiting a fountain of blood'. No, we didn't make that part up.

:laugh:

OH... sorry, Gf2tw... >.> hope these pics don't ruin the story for ya ^^;

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I just started Magician: Master and it is pretty bad. Are his later works good?
It probably depends on your tastes. I thought Mafician: Master was okay, not really all that great. But I didnt have anything else to read.

Rise of a Dark Queen however, is really great. Suspension is good, they pull off the "switch to other characters when it gets exciting at the other characters" really good.

About the twilight ****.

I didn't know the whole thing when I went to the movies with my girlfriend, (she also didn't) so I was like, oooh a vampire movie, that's been a while. So I went into the theatre with a mindset of "Time for some badass ****". A man came up to me after the movie saying that me yelling "WHAT THE **** IS THIS ****" made the movie worth the 8 bucks for him.

Watching twilight is like watching the seeds of cancer spread.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Congratulations on BotW, I enjoyed this, and it's quite true.

Just so you know, I went to school with Edmund, I'll be sure to let him know someone went ":S" next time I see him. ;)

Funnily enough, even though I'd seen Silence of the Lambs before reading the Hannibal Lecter books, Thomas Harris' portrayal of him was so good, that I was able to create my own picture of him. Clarice Starling, however, will always be Jodie Foster, lol.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Congratulations on BotW, I enjoyed this, and it's quite true.

Just so you know, I went to school with Edmund, I'll be sure to let him know someone went ":S" next time I see him. ;)

Funnily enough, even though I'd seen Silence of the Lambs before reading the Hannibal Lecter books, Thomas Harris' portrayal of him was so good, that I was able to create my own picture of him. Clarice Starling, however, will always be Jodie Foster, lol.
Awesome, BotW :)

Wow, you went to school with him? That's pretty cool.
I haven't read the Hannibal books though :S That's not my kind of book.

Top Bottom