• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

knihT Interviews; You (Update: 13:47-1-12-09)

Pi

Smash Hero
Hey you!
I want to get inside you... :love:
your head!!

I'm always interested in finding out peoples mental states when they are playing in tournament sets, so I figure why not ask everyone all at once ^^

I spent a lot of time thinking of these questions and while I think I got most of them I know I'll think of some more, I'll edit the post and make it pretty clear to any new questions I come up with, so please check back in regularly.

Also! I really would like the people below to answer my interview questions, either in this thread, OR WITH A PM!!(if you want only me to see) Hell you could put together a video if you want

I have selected these people because to me they stand out in some way or another, not to say YOU don't, I juss might not have been made aware of your uniqueness, so don't get put off or anything, juss make it apparent to me in your response to my interview!

WANTED:

• Mew2king the robot who needs some oil!
  • Mango the drunk (get wrecked by kage son)
  • Lucky the fro fox
  • Kage the WARRIOR!!
  • Lampchops the all-knowing
  • Col bol the child prodigy who needs to stop losing, you *****
  • QDVS the wise
  • JMAN the savior
  • Zhu watch my feet falco
  • DaShizWiz THE Falco.
  • Uberice the lol@samus matchup
  • Chu Dat the father of the twins
  • Linguini the falco slayer
  • Dr. PeePee the southerner
  • Hungrybox the devourer of burrito's
  • HugS the patient
  • Phanna the flashy
  • (all my samus brothers!!!!)
  • DJ (tomahawk) NINTENDO
  • unknown522 who are you!?
  • AXE ketchum
  • Scar the mufasa slayer
  • Darkrain, does he come here?
  • Amsah the comeback king with kicking hair
  • Armada the wtf is that peach doing?!
  • Azen lol@mains
  • ISAI the ISAI, I KNOW YOU LURK HERE FOOL! PLEEEASEE ^^
  • Ken? Lol
  • PC Chris, have an account here?
  • KDJ
  • chillin
  • all the old school mlg, ken saga, pre youtube smashers, all of DBR, lots of people man
  • RaynEX as per request; make someone happy RaynEX ^^

EVERYONE TAKE MY INTERVIEW!!
Here it is!! Also remember that the questions are pretty open ended, respond however you feel appropriate, also don't neglect the misc. questions section at the bottom! And PLEASE put the name you are most known by, if you don't put it I'll juss use your forum name in the participants list. Also DON'T RUSH!! Answer however much you want whenever you want, edit your post days, weeks, months later idc, as long as you're mad honest!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Interview ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your Smash Career

1. How long have you been with the series? (since ssb64, started with melee, dropped brawl for melee)
  2. How did you discover competitive melee? (local tournament, met some pro's, etc. etc.)
  3. How long have you been attending tournaments?
  4. What keeps you stuck on this game? (community, the depth, the ever evolving metagame, etc. etc.)

Pre-tournament

1. What do you do to warm up for the tournament?(practice tech skill, train with your friends, practice your secondaries)
  2. Anything different from normal routine?
  3. If so, how early do you start training?(smashfest before, day before, week before)
  4. Do you view matches of opponents that will be at the tournament?(study them?)
  5. What's your mindset going to the tournament?(I'm going to win/I hope I place well/I hope I don't have to fight xxxxx)

Pre-match

1. The TO announces you have a match on TV 3 with a smasher you have never heard of, what's your game plan? What do you assume about the player, if anything?(Are you thinking about what character you will use, sizing your opponent up, underestimating him, overestimating him?)
  2. What about a match with a smasher who you know/heard of, but are fairly confident of beating?(what are some specific thoughts to describe your mental state; "K I'm going to win this one, wonder who I have next" "I usually beat this guy in friendlies, I should win" etc. etc.)
  3. What about a match with a smasher who you know/heard of, but have classified him as better than you?("****, gonna lose this one." "I still have a chance, always have a chance" etc. etc.)

Pre-match 1

1. You both plug into the cube, pick your characters, and move to the stage selection screen to pick your bans, how do you decide what to ban?("well if he's falco, I'll ban FD", "I really hate BF so I always ban it", etc. etc.)
  2. Is your mindset still the same? Are you nervous? Where is your head at when you press start and it selects a stage?

Match 1

1. Game starts, announcer says GO, what position do you take?(offensive, defensive, if you have projectiles do you get them out there, be general if you want cause I know it might depend on the characters you're playing, are you trying to be fancy or playing conservititve?)
  2. What are you looking for, if anything, in your opponents playstyle?(is he rolling predictably, teching predictably, is he playing really offensive, shielding too much?)
  3. Are you looking for how your opponent is punishing you?(is he predicting your rolls, your spotdodges, your techs? Do you change up your playstyle to keep the lead, or do you get more aggressive, do you go for more fancy ****?)
  4. You are ahead, got a stock or two up, how are you feeling?(confident, staying humble, trying to keep focus)
  5. You fall behind, not too far, but you're behind, do you change your style?(start playing more defensive/offensive, stop going for fancy edgeguards or cut out some new techniques you have been trying?)
  6. Games over, based on what happen (win or lose), what are you thinking about?("yes! I won, I got this, he's not very good", "crap, I loss, I don't think I can beat him" and everything in between.)

Match 2

1. Based on how the last match went, what are you thinking about going into match 2? ("I noticed he was rolling/reading my rolls so let me adjust for that", "I need to gimp/not get gimped this time", "Hope I get lucky/hope he gets unlucky", etc. etc, anything that's going through your head)
  2. Do you change characters?(specific situations, or do you always change characters? do you pick characters to counter playstyles?)
  3. If you are in the position to counterpick, what do you base it off of? ("I noticed he was playing like this, I thought this stage would counter that", "I'm really comfortable on this stage, so I chose it")
  4. Match 2 starts, depending on how the last match went how are you playing?("I won last time so I'm kinda ******* around this time", "I loss last time so I'm playing a lot more careful this time", "I already know I'm gonna win/lose so I'm not really focused")
  5. Depending on how the match is going, you're winning/losing, how's your mindset?("When I'm losing I kinda give up since I'm already a match behind.", "If I'm winning I get excited and lose focus")

Match 3(if)

1. Last match, you've played your preferred characters, your preferred stage, how are you feeling?("I'm pretty confident I can win, I'll focus to be sure", "I got lucky 1 match, don't think I can win now", "I've figured out his playstyle and he doesn't seem to be switching it up, I got this", "Juss happy to have taken a game off him")

Post-set

1. Depending on if you won or loss, what are you feeling?(did you surprise yourself? did your opponent surprise you? are you happy/mad? reviewing your mistakes?)

Misc. Questions

1. What character(s) do you use in tournament matches, and when (fox when I'm serious, falcon when I'm not)?
  2. Are you constantly adapting new techniques, are juss trying to perfect the basics?
  3. Does your playstyle vary from friendlies to tournament? Do you play 'better' in one versus the other?
  4. What are some things you think a lot of people overlook, when it comes to winning?
  5. What would you say the main aspect of your playstyle is? Tech skill/mindgames/reading?
  6. Who was/is the most influential smasher to you?
  7. Whats up with your name, why did you choose it?
  8. What is your personal favorite technique to use in a match?(technical or psychological, either one :p)
~*REMINDER*~ put the name you're most well known by!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also! If you have any questions you would like to ask to the smash community feel free to make it noticeable at the bottom of your post

[EDIT] MAKE REQUESTS
request someone you wanna see take this interview and I'll put em on blast up here on the OP!!

nickname not required, but highly recommended!

EVERYBODY

is encouraged to participate, I made this thread mainly for myself, so I personally could learn about every type of smasher out there, if you're a pro, if you're a noob, if you're some where in between, if you can answer some of these questions, DO IT!!

R.I.P. NES n00b - a great smasher, a great person, fondly remembered forever.
Thread Article

Updates:

1. 00:50-25-11-09
  2. 23:44-26-11-09
  3. 13:47-1-12-09

Proverbs

Smash Lord
I know you just forgot me on that list, so I'll just start filling it out now :p Kidding, but this is a cool idea. I look forward to seeing some interviews.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I'll fill this out sometime tonight or tomorrow hopefully.

I'm interested in some of these responses from the players you mentioned as well. =p

Edit: I laughed at "southerner" XD

Pi

Smash Hero
I'll fill this out sometime tonight or tomorrow hopefully.

I'm interested in some of these responses from the players you mentioned as well. =p

Edit: I laughed at "southerner" XD
haha, sorry bro but that's what i think when i hear you talk ^^

Pi

Smash Hero
I love this thread. Gonna address this over to the Swedes/Armada asap
woot!

quick now someone link this to the legendary smasher over in africa and we'll be all set!!

AND REMEMBER, YOU ARE ALL WELCOME TO ANSWER THE QUESTIONS YOURSELF!!!
do I need to take my own interview to get things started or what?!

AND REMEMBER, YOU ARE ALL WELCOME TO ANSWER THE QUESTIONS YOURSELF!!!
do I need to take my own interview to get things started or what?!
Alright, so I guess I'll be the first to answer any questions?

I like the misc questions more than the main ones, so I'm mainly going to answer them instead of the main ones.

1. What character(s) do you use in tournament matches, and when (fox when I'm serious, falcon when I'm not)?
  2. Are you constantly adapting new techniques, are juss trying to perfect the basics?
  3. Does your playstyle vary from friendlies to tournament? Do you think it should?
  4. What are some things you think a lot of people overlook, when it comes to winning?
  5. What would you say the main aspect of your playstyle is? Tech skill/mindgames/reading?

Also! If you have any questions you would like to ask to the smash community feel free to make it noticeable at the bottom of your post
1. I play Fox all the time in tournament sets. No exceptions.

2. I always try to learn every technique, even if it's near useless for winning purposes (turn-around waveShining). Practicing solely on a more limited number of techniques gets boring fast.

3. My style varies only when I'm edgeguarding from tournament play to friendly play. In friendlies, I always go for flashy edgeguards (Shine spikes ftw), but I rarely show off in tournament play (sometimes habit takes over). And yes, I play better in tournament sets.

4. I'm not an expert in this game, so I'm not sure if I can legitimately answer this question. But if I had to answer, I believe some players fixate a little too much on the importance of playing smarter overe playing technical (when giving advice to new players). The essential techniques like L-canceling, short hopping, and wavedashing (for most characters) can't be ignored. Without them, a players options can become limited.
5. I play a very aggressive/campy game. I try to play one style when my opponent expects the other. Basically, I wait for the mistake, jump in and combo, then get out before I get comboed back. I don't really focus on prediction outside of tech chases. I just try to react to everything.

6. There's a lot of influential Smashers; Zelgadis (Shined Blind), Ken (King of Smash/Melee, watched him destroy everyone on youtube), Mew2King (the robot, a new player to follow (on youtube)), but actually, the most influential is kind of a novice. An old friend of mine reminded me of how awesome Melee is. Back when barlw launched, it was pretty much the only Smash game I played and that sadly lasted only about two months. At that point, I realized this game was so boring, I quit playing Smash entirely. Then one day, my network administrations teaher held an end-of-the-quarter party for all his students, so I brought my wii and barlw mainly for the sake of having an additional game set up for the party. My class for that teacher didn't start until after lunch, so I had to leave until then. That old friend of mine noticed barlw was in my set up, so he took it out and put his Melee disk in while I was away. When I got back for the party when lunch started, I noticed he and a few other students were playing on my setup with Melee in it. They all even organized a mini-tournament during lunch (I won). I realized how much fun Melee is when playing with friends and new people. Ever since then, I've made a few Smasher friends at school and eventually got sort of invited to a local Melee tournament only a few miles from my house. Had that mini-tournament never happened, I don't think I'd be playing Smash at all. The only let down is my friend kind of quit playing Melee.

7. Here's where I first got my name:
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/812/812230p1.html
Back then, I was really into Halo PC, so when I saw the name 'Halo 3 Epsilon,' I though Epsilon was a really cool name, so I used it as mine. So then one day I got Crysis and wanted to play it online. I wanted to use Epsilon as my tag, but someone else already took it, so I just quickly added a 3 digit number on the end of my name (Epsilon933) (I chose 933 because the processor clock speed on my computer is 2,933 MHz). I can't remember where it was from, but one day, I accidentally wrote EPsilon933 with a capital P and I though it looked a little cooler. So I kept it that way.
EPsilon933 (Everyone in real life just calls me Epsilon)

[edit]Added Misc. Question #8
What is your personal favorite technique to use in a match?(technical or psychological, either one :p)
The Shine. There's no other way to be flashier.

Pi

Smash Hero
woot!
those are exactly the responses i was looking for
thanks for participating bro! get to work on the other questions!! :D

[edit] Question for everyone else: Why did you start playing this game competitively?
i started playing competitively after playing with my group of ~3 friends for months and ASSUMING we were probably some of the best in our state, going to gigs, getting WRECKED by everyone and their grandmother, bailing out of the tournament after we had entered, then going home to play amongst ourselfs. out of the group i was the only one who really took initiative, i looked up advance techniques, began watching video's of better players, mistakenly thinking that tech skill would carry my character (samus) to victory! brawl came out months later, we quit melee, moved onto brawl, i went to a couple tournaments and discovered that the melee scene was still very much alive. i picked it up again, practiced with a new group of friends, went over one day to play with my old smash buddies and was still (even though i KNEW i had improved) getting beat/barely beating them! figured out that i spent too much time looking at my own character, was approaching every chance i could get, assuming L canceling would carry me to victory. came back few weeks later, was 2,3, & 4 stocking them. been really into the competitive scene since around the time i found out it was still alive

4% APR

Smash Champion
I didnt write the questions with the answers. They are in the same order though so it should be fine.

Pre-Tourney

1. To get ready i normally just play with my friends with night before or whatever. I start to use my main a lot more in friendlies than I normally do.

2. Less using dumb characters. I have a problem with always using doc/samus/ganon/falcon in friendlies haha.

3. Normally once or twice the week of the tourney.

4. If I know there is gonna be someone good that I have never played or am unfamiliar with then yeah, i do watch some of their vids. More to see what I'm up against than to really study them though. I do think of what stages I would take them to on my cp though.

5. It depends on the size. If it's local then i usually think I'm gonna win. If it's bigger I just hope to place well. (and I hope m2k doesn't show, lol sorry jason)

Pre-Match

1. This again depends on the size of the tourney. If it were a local, then i would assume its someone new and that i was going to beat them. If it's a bigger tourney and out of my region, then I give everyone I've never heard of the benefit of the doubt and assume they are gonna be good. In this case I might ask a friend real quick about the player and for any advice they have.

2. If it's a player I'm fairly sure I can beat then that's exactly how I feel. The thought of getting more tourney exp. with a secondary in this set is a common thought, If I feel pretty confident.

3. If it's someone I know is probably better or someone I've had trouble with in the past then I try to keep myself positive about the match. I never really think I have no chance. If it's someone I've played before I try to think about why they beat me before and how to get around that this time.

Pre-match 1

1. My ban usually is based who I and my opponent are using. There aren't any stages that I hate enough to always ban and I have the characters to cover most stupid cp stages.

2. The only change in my mind set at this point would be depending on the stage we got on random. Either, "nice, my best one", or "uh oh, that's not good" or somewhere in the middle. I'm not any more nervous at this point.

Match 1

1. It depends on who I'm using. If I'm fox then I generally go for the quick offensive and try to catch them off guard or something. If I'm marth then I usually sit back and see what they are gonna do.

2. To be honest, I don't look for very much in my opponents style. Just how aggressive/defensive they are really.

3. I look at what he is punishing me for. If it happens a lot I'll try to change it up and not do that specific thing as often or at all if possible.

4. If I'm up a stock or two I get even more aggressive and try to end it quickly so they can't get bring it back. This can fairly easily back fire though and if that happens I pull out the camp mode.
5. I'll try to cut down on the more techy things I do to minimize mistakes and I just try to play safer in general.

6. If I won I'm just thinking about how to keep the momentum and take the next game. If I lost I'm thinking about my cp and If I should switch chars or not, and how to not do the same things I did before that made me lose.

Match 2

1. Going into the second I'm usually just trying to stay focused on the match itself and how I can minimize any quickness that I seemed to have in game one.

2. I change characters if I feel like they knew the match up better than I did or if I wanna try to take them to a gay cp. (jiggs/mute city)

3. I base it mostly off of each players' characters. Personal preference is a big factor too. I feel a lot more comfortable on japes than most people, so I use that a decent amount.

4. It depends a lot on what the last match was like. If I lost but I really feel like I can beat this person then I go for no nonsense aggression/pressure. I try my best not to let up at all so they can't get their balance. If I was just out played game one then I'm a little more nervous and try to play safer.

5. If I'm winning this one then I try to not get ahead of myself and stay as focused as possible on the match. If I'm falling behind again I try to change up my style and go for a more campy game to try to bring it back in my favor.

Match 3

1. If it's on game 3, how I feel is dependent on who's cp it is and how gay the cp is. If it's my cp I usually feel pretty good, I feel like if I beat them game one then I can win on my cp. If it's their cp, then I'm a little more worried but still try to be confident.

Post Set

1. If I won a surprising victory I'm just trying to keep playing that well for the next round and not to lose my momentum. If I lost then I think about the mistakes that made me lose and how to get around them in the future. I'm happy as long it was a close game and i had fun. I'm rarely upset when I lose, unless i felt it was to someone I should have beaten fairly easily.

Misc

1. I use mostly Fox in tourney but I also use marth a good amount as well. I would call fox/marth my joint mains while my secondaries are jiggs/falcon. I don't ever really use anyone else in tourney.

2. I try to get good at any new techs I see that look cool in vids. Obviously I'm always working on the basics but I have them down pretty well at this point.

3. My play style does vary but not all that much. In friendlies I try to do cooler/more fun things while in tourney I rely on the more staple combos that I won't mess up as easily. And I go for some pretty irresponsible edgeguards in friendlies haha

4. I think people need to put more thought into the cp stages they use. I pretty much agree with the pound 4 stage list, but as long as japes and green greens are legal, if it helps me to win then I'm gonna use them.

5. The main aspect of my fox I would say is just somewhat techy aggression. I don't do over the top techy things with fox but I try to be as quick as i can. With marth I would say the main aspect is just spacing fairs lol

6. I have a few names for this one. One huge influence on me was vidjo. I think he is the main reason I'm as good as I am today. He always kept me humble when I would start to think I was getting pretty good haha. Another is my boy swiftbass, we always had close sets and we played in so many tournies. Trying to beat him was one thing that always kept me going and made me want to improve. My last one is probably my old teams partner X. It was really good having someone to get better with you, and teaming with a friend is always more fun. We beat some pretty good teams, you gotta come back bro.

7. I think I saw a car commercial when I was making my account haha. That's all I got.

At tournies I'm usually called 4% or just my real name.

****, thats pretty long haha sorry.

LAX_

Smash Apprentice
lol to be perfectly honest, i thought that people just go in and "do".
i didn't think they thought out alllll of that.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
i'm looking forwards to this.

Yeah pc had an account for ages i think lol.

Pi

Smash Hero
****, thats pretty long haha sorry.
naaaaaa man thanks so much for taking the time
really enjoyed reading, your answers were honest & individual juss like i want ^^
also, yea that format was fine

and @lax i don't think everyone does think it out
i've met a lot of diff smashers who i get different impressions of
some people really know everything that is going on
and others it juss seems like instinct
that's half of why i made this thread actually, to find out

4% APR

Smash Champion
Im glad you enjoyed it. I was hoping to sorta get the ball rolling with it. I really like the idea

keeper

Smash Champion
Pre-tournament

1. What do you do to warm up for the tournament?(practice tech skill, train with your friends, practice your secondaries)
  2. Anything different from normal routine?
  3. If so, how early do you start training?(smashfest before, day before, week before)
  4. Do you view matches of opponents that will be at the tournament?(study them?)
  5. What's your mindset going to the tournament?(I'm going to win/I hope I place well/I hope I don't have to fight xxxxx)

Pre-match

1. The TO announces you have a match on TV 3 with a smasher you have never heard of, what's your game plan? What do you assume about the player, if anything?(Are you thinking about what character you will use, sizing your opponent up, underestimating him, overestimating him?)
  2. What about a match with a smasher who you know/heard of, but are fairly confident of beating?(what are some specific thoughts to describe your mental state; "K I'm going to win this one, wonder who I have next" "I usually beat this guy in friendlies, I should win" etc. etc.)
  3. What about a match with a smasher who you know/heard of, but have classified him as better than you?("****, gonna lose this one." "I still have a chance, always have a chance" etc. etc.)

Pre-match 1

1. You both plug into the cube, pick your characters, and move to the stage selection screen to pick your bans, how do you decide what to ban?("well if he's falco, I'll ban FD", "I really hate BF so I always ban it", etc. etc.)
  2. Is your mindset still the same? Are you nervous? Where is your head at when you press start and it selects a stage?

Match 1

1. Game starts, announcer says GO, what position do you take?(offensive, defensive, if you have projectiles do you get them out there, be general if you want cause I know it might depend on the characters you're playing, are you trying to be fancy or playing conservititve?)
  2. What are you looking for, if anything, in your opponents playstyle?(is he rolling predictably, teching predictably, is he playing really offensive, shielding too much?)
  3. Are you looking for how your opponent is punishing you?(is he predicting your rolls, your spotdodges, your techs? Do you change up your playstyle to keep the lead, or do you get more aggressive, do you go for more fancy ****?)
  4. You are ahead, got a stock or two up, how are you feeling?(confident, staying humble, trying to keep focus)
  5. You fall behind, not too far, but you're behind, do you change your style?(start playing more defensive/offensive, stop going for fancy edgeguards or cut out some new techniques you have been trying?)
  6. Games over, based on what happen (win or lose), what are you thinking about?("yes! I won, I got this, he's not very good", "crap, I loss, I don't think I can beat him" and everything in between.)

Match 2

1. Based on how the last match went, what are you thinking about going into match 2? ("I noticed he was rolling/reading my rolls so let me adjust for that", "I need to gimp/not get gimped this time", "Hope I get lucky/hope he gets unlucky", etc. etc, anything that's going through your head)
  2. Do you change characters?(specific situations, or do you always change characters? do you pick characters to counter playstyles?)
  3. If you are in the position to counterpick, what do you base it off of? ("I noticed he was playing like this, I thought this stage would counter that", "I'm really comfortable on this stage, so I chose it")
  4. Match 2 starts, depending on how the last match went how are you playing?("I won last time so I'm kinda ******* around this time", "I loss last time so I'm playing a lot more careful this time", "I already know I'm gonna win/lose so I'm not really focused")
  5. Depending on how the match is going, you're winning/losing, how's your mindset?("When I'm losing I kinda give up since I'm already a match behind.", "If I'm winning I get excited and lose focus")

Match 3(if)

1. Last match, you've played your preferred characters, your preferred stage, how are you feeling?("I'm pretty confident I can win, I'll focus to be sure", "I got lucky 1 match, don't think I can win now", "I've figured out his playstyle and he doesn't seem to be switching it up, I got this", "Juss happy to have taken a game off him")

Post-set

1. Depending on if you won or loss, what are you feeling?(did you surprise yourself? did your opponent surprise you? are you happy/mad? reviewing your mistakes?)

Misc. Questions

3. Does your playstyle vary from friendlies to tournament? Do you think it should?
Pre-Tournament
1a.) When I'm at a tournament, I get a ton of friendlies in. Whether it be doubles or singles. Otherwise, I practice in my room, trying to do either more technical of things or to be more consistent on things. I sometimes go to little smashfests with Gage (Peach Masta) and Juce. Those help...

2a.) Not particularly. I try to keep it consistent.

3a.) The above two answered, this, or implied it. I try to get at least a couple practice rounds in every day or so.

4a.) Yes. Not too intently, but I watch them. I'm more inclined to watch them play the round before I play them so as to perhaps gain a feel for how they play. The only detrimental thing to this is possible intimidation, which can motivate me.

5a.) "I want to place the same, if not better than the last tournament I went to." That's my general goal. I view it as progressive as it's a "If I win overall, great! If I don't, how did I do compared to my previous performances and why?" So far my trend is decent with performing better or meeting last tournament's performance. Best being 5th at the moment.

Pre-Match
1b.) I often look ahead in bracket and usually (try) to help manage it. Living in Oregon (playing WA, OR, sometimes ID), I have a good idea of who's who. So, the situation where I don't know someone is very rare. If I don't know them, I size them up by character, then by how the first stock plays out. If I get ganked on stock one, I don't lose confidence. I, instead, pull that Forward crap and come back a couple stocks or the entire stock as I now know what to expect or what to do. Prior to a match, after the bans and whole "are you ready?" I take a really deep breath. This is the only time this has ever helped me... As I exhale, I lean in and strike my game pose as the match begins.

2b.) Much more relaxed than I really ought to be. It's almost cost me before, but I managed to not mess it up. I basically overestimate everyone else now, that way I just go really aggro and controlling on their first life.

3b.) I really try to just have fun with these and see how I do. I give it my all, but usually end it without being disappointed, but also without a win. Eggz can attest to this. haha

Pre-Match 1
1c.) I ban Final Destination. I have been drillshined across it by Juce way too many times to like it now. I generally just don't like the stage anyway, even if I am a Sheik user. I don't like it against Spacies and against others I just dislike the ledges. I always go for Port 1 or Port 2.

2c.) I'm really quite good at turning nervous energy into concentration. It comes from years of sports though. I play best when I have a headache as it gives me tunnel vision and distractions dissolve.

Match 1
1d.) I actually look at what they do and make an instant assumption about their playstyle. If they WD back, they're most likely defensive. If they run at me, they're most likely aggressive. I take whichever post benefits me most on the stage based on which port I am. I usually run either left or right, in the long run though. On places like PS or FoD, I drop through the platform and back or something.

2d.) Attitude and consistency. I refuse to listen to music as I play since I can't hear their controller. If I grab someone and I hear no clicking, I pummel away. If I hear clicking, I'll throw them to abuse their will-be-bad DI. I then also look for roll patterns and try to condition them to roll where I want.

3d.) Yes. People have patterns, even if that pattern is "lack of pattern."

4d.) Too confident, I hate being in this position.

5d.) Get more defensive and play a total "don't get hit" style. Normally I like to take trades, but when I'm down, I just go crazy on spacing and camping. I'm campy as is, but I get more campy and careful. I've come back stocks doing this.

6d.) My counterpick, their counterpick, who's watching, what to expect next round, how to hold my momentum, how to swing it to my favor, how to gimp them in 10 seconds. Do some more heavy breathing.

Match 2
1e.) Mental notes about everything they did. I often find it interesting that people's tech patterns reset after match 1.

2e.) I sometimes go from Sheik to Fox if I'm feeling on top or if they CP a decent Fox stage.

3e.) What stage I like/what stage they hate/what stage is generally disliked by people. I feel it throws people for a mental loop if you pick a stage they knowingly hate. I often do this with battlefield. I really like neutral stages that can easily cause people to kill themselves. I take into account how they have to recover too. Such as on Yoshi's, a Fox will rarely be in the position to recover from very low and must be really good at sweetspotting from below if they have the opportunity.

4e.) I feel I've already answered this, haha.

5e.) I've answered this too. =P

Match 3
1f.) Nerve racked. This becomes nervous energy, which I turn into concentration. I often have a (good) aggro moment on round 3.

Post Set
1g.) I love winning, a lot. I hate beating my friends when I have to play them in tournament, but I like to win and I know we're both trying. We play like it's a tournament, no limits to be had. I think I've only been mad once so far losing a Melee set, but it wasn't that bad. I try to turn it into motivation to get better.

Misc:
1.) Almost all Sheik at this point. My Fox is better in doubles though.
2.) Yes. I always try to get more technical. Stop typing "juss," it makes you look like a tool and it's stupid.
3.) I play better in tournament. Regardless of how hard I try in friendlies, I still always play better in tournament.
4.) Psychological aspects of playing.
5.) Consistent tech skill beyond how long I've played and conditioning my opponents. I like to think I have good spacing.
6.) Aftermath, Juce, M2K, Forward, Forward's brother.
7.) I've been using "keeper" since around 2005. I was a goalie in hockey for about 9 years. "Xyrofen," as I'll be seen as when posting on streams I made up three years ago, I realize how unoriginal is now, but I'm stuck with it. I'm "keeper the camper" at this point, affectionately anyway.

Post Thing Comments:
1.) Why do you say "Juss" and "Loss?" It's "Just" and "Lost." Stop that, it's stupid. :| Loss is a different word. FFFFFF
2.) I realize I'm not known, maybe someday though, aye?I have aspirations and have been moving up pretty quick locally.
3.) Well, in every sport I've played I've played a defensive position, primarily. When I played hockey for 9 years, I was a defenseman for a year, then a goalie for the rest. In lacrosse, I'm a defenseman, and when I played soccer I was either Sweeper of left striker.

I'm positionally minded and play a pressure position. I'm really small for a defenseman, so I just keep pressure on the person and follow them, giving very little openings.

Pi

Smash Hero
rofl
yea i know it's just and lost
i juss recently started typing juss and loss
i started it cause i'm pretty sure that's how it sounds when i say it, juss any way, lost i think i put emphasis on the t

any way, thanks for takin the time mayne, i'm liking the varying answers :), I remember when I played baseball, whenever I had 2 strikes on me I'd always get the hit, need to bring back that quality i think lol

and also to everyone, feel free to skip questions if you feel you'd juss be repeating yourself

hm, i think i will add "Do you think you play 'better' in tournament matches" as a question

[edit]
Changed Misc. Question #3
Old - Does your playstyle vary from friendlies to tournament? Do you think it should?
New - Does your playstyle vary from friendlies to tournament? Do you play 'better' in one versus the other?

keeper

Smash Champion
Well, in every sport I've played I've played a defensive position, primarily. When I played hockey for 9 years, I was a defenseman for a year, then a goalie for the rest. In lacrosse, I'm a defenseman, and when I played soccer I was either Sweeper of left striker.

I'm positionally minded and play a pressure position. I'm really small for a defenseman, so I just keep pressure on the person and follow them, giving very little openings.

As for other stuff: There's typing how you speak, but sometimes that's annoying. Imagine reading someone typing in southern drawl, yuck.

Pi

Smash Hero
Well, in every sport I've played I've played a defensive position, primarily. When I played hockey for 9 years, I was a defenseman for a year, then a goalie for the rest. In lacrosse, I'm a defenseman, and when I played soccer I was either Sweeper of left striker.

As for other stuff: There's typing how you speak, but sometimes that's annoying. Imagine reading someone typing in southern drawl, yuck.
Noted.

Dr. PeePee is now required to type how he speaks. jajajajaja

I was always centerfield cause I was quick, wasn't my favorite location though, I generalized the outfield as a place they put bad players, but that was really only left field, or right field, idk. I was a good player, but I was scared to go up to bat the older I got, pitches kept gettin faster, I saw no benefit to that for me >.>

keeper

Smash Champion
LOL.

Also, this will sound really petty, but I never capitalize the k at the beginning of my name. It's either all lower or all upper. >_>;

Pi

Smash Hero
LOL.

Also, this will sound really petty, but I never capitalize the k at the beginning of my name. It's either all lower or all upper. >_>;
np, I'm juss as nitpicky
bothers me in games that auto-capitalize the first letter of the name cause I cap my T for a reason >=|, if they cap the K juss promotes the stereotype that I don't know how to spell Knight.

keeper

Smash Champion
Random question for you: Favorite Metroid game, why, and favorite suit ever?

Come on, PP, you got this. haha

Pi

Smash Hero
Random question for you: Favorite Metroid game, why, and favorite suit ever?

Come on, PP, you got this. haha
I'm rather ashamed to admit that I have never beat a metroid game T.T, I've played a few here and there when I was younger, got stumped cause I never read instructions, and kinda drifted away from console games as of late (save for melee). Perhaps that why I haven't become as good as I wanted with Samus, her history is unknown to me!!

And I the gravity suit of course! That suit is the reason my favorite color is purple.

and lol. Totally hearing that in my head pp.

Pi

Smash Hero
So yeah, thinking about doing this. Starting like prepound 3 = old enough right?
definitely do it
i want to get participants from every standing
the old vets
the up and coming
the guys who have only been to 1 tourney!
i think i will make this more apparent in the OP

_lemons

Smash Journeyman
I never played the Primes, but Super Metroid is one of my top 5 favorite games, I think. Fusion was pretty sweet, too.

Metroid Primes 1 and 2 are amazing. Prime 3 is a little meh. That game doesn't give the feeling of exploring an unknown world like the first two did (too many allies in 3), which made them great. And the puzzles are too easy in 3.

keeper

Smash Champion
Metroid Primes 1 and 2 are amazing. Prime 3 is a little meh. That game doesn't give the feeling of exploring an unknown world like the first two did (too many allies in 3), which made them great. And the puzzles are too easy in 3.
The environment and game engine more than makes up for it.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
kniht, I'm in the process of filling this out now. I have a question though:

If I PM the response to you, then you will be the only one who observes my answers, right? Exposing my whole mental game when I play for other good players to see seems self-destructive. I support your cause though. I just want to help you haha.

Edit: Sorry if this pisses anyone off.....

Edit 2: Maybe I'm not saying anything that isn't totally obvious here..........I don't know. I can't decide what I should do lol.

ThePrime

Smash Lord
playing through prime3 on normal is ridiculously easy. Playing it again on hyper difficulty is a real challenge, you actually die lol.

Top Bottom