• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Thread of Remembrance - R.I.P. Ryan Roberts (NES n00b)

Sariku

Smash Master
http://www.sunherald.com/278/story/1771894.html?storylink=omni_popular

OCEAN SPRINGS — Gayle Roberts spent Thanksgiving Day remembering her son, an academic scholar who was looking forward to a promising career in computer technology.

Her son, Ryan Spencer Roberts, 22, died in a three-vehicle collision Tuesday night on U.S. 49 in Wiggins. Roberts was southbound when a vehicle going the wrong way on 49 hit him almost head-on. Also killed in the crash was the driver of the other vehicle, a pickup, identified as Robert McCollum, 36, of Pulaski, Tenn.

Roberts, a junior at the University of Mississippi was headed home to Ocean Springs to spend time with his mother before the two of them darted off to Albany, La., to enjoy an annual Thanksgiving holiday hayride with friends and relatives.
The full story can be read at the link above.

----

I personally love Ryan to death. He taught me how to play Melee competitively and was one of the most real people I knew. He would go out his way to do anything, if only for the community... How about anyone else?

ZiggyZiggs

Smash Cadet
Loved n00b. Loved him, loved him, loved him. And still do.
I enjoyed riding with him to go get snacks and listening to the Beach Boys once, and just playing Smash all night with him. <3

kinghippo99

Smash Lord
I didn't know him very well, but he was still an awesome guy. It's terrible that he's gone now.

Zip.

Smash Lord
i didnt know him, but i saw his posts alot on the atlantic south boards.. :(

GofG

Smash Champion
I didn't know him, and I don't want to diminish the meaningfulness of the distress and sadness felt by those who did,

but I saw his posts and always thought he was definitely a cool guy, and this news makes me excessively sad.

Sariku

Smash Master
Yeah, I'm of the few that made a thread about this, not knowing people already posted this one. Sorry for that, but at least it was for a good cause.

I'm one of the many who knew him in real life, and he was definitely one of the most amazing people I've ever had the privileged of meeting. Only talking Smash terms, he taught me how to play the game competitively with two simple words- "Don't suck." He repeatedly nailed me down with Falcon and Link, forcing me to learn myself, which is a way of teaching that does truly work. I live about twenty minutes from his mother, so whenever he would visit her, he'd drive down to my house and we'd play for hours. He'd stay for days, even. He came to my birthday, which was the day Brawl came out, and played with us all night long at the party, even though he didn't care for the game. He even volunteered to play online for my old clan just a year ago, again, even though he hates Brawl.

He was one of the most down-to-earth-while-still-positive people in my life. I last saw him when he randomly drove down here, found out I was at my church lock-in, and then chaperoned the entire night without an overnight back or anything. All he had was a game cube controller and an extra copy of the game that brought us together.

I currently have the graduation ring he left at my house that belongs to a member of his family, John Roberts. I'm not sure if that's his father or something else, but I know I need to return this back to his mother. I'm also in full support of a donation and a tournament in his name.

I love this man. May we see him again in heaven. <3

Rayku

Smash Lord
This event makes me wish there was a heaven so I can see him and other people I've lost another time.

R.I.P. Friend.

skaterbaj

Smash Lord
Never had the chance to meet this guy but i have seen him post here from time to time..I also heard his name a lot from other smashers here in GA and back in FL

My heart goes out to his family

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
I didn't know NES Noob too well, but he was still a great guy, and a skilled player who was only getting better and better every event. It truely is unfortunate what happened to him.

My first time meeting NES Noob was when I housed him and ragnarok, a fox main from Alabama, for one of the Gigabits melee tourneys that used to happen every month in Orlando. We had a great time, and I enjoyed housing him.

Sleep well, Ryan.

Top Bottom