• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap Jump Off? - GaW control sets

Splice

Smash Hero
UTD Zac Edit: Vote in the poll here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=257321

This could have been a simple question for the "Ask a Question" thread, but i see some discussion in this.

Is Tap Jump On more useful in some matchups, and Tap Jump Off useful for others?

For example, You can't UpB OoS with Tap Jump Off, and this can be useful against MK's Tornado and likely other things too.
But with Tap Jump Off, it is easy and useful to perform the extra jump after the UpB, which quite frankly really helps me with the Snake MU.

Also, if you have Tap Jump On, is it easier/faster to use GaWs Uair after a jump (to catch a MK that used UpB right next to you and hit your shield, for example?) That's the question I had that this all originated from.

But yeah, are there any other MU's where a certain control set may be more desireable for any reasons? And not just Tap Jump On or Off, but any other changes that anyone may have for some reason, would also be good to discuss/mention.

kaak

Smash Journeyman
i play with tapjump ON

I have no problems with the extra jump after upB or upair, and i realy like upB oos against marth/diddy/snake/mk, and i dont like shield>jump upB as alternative for upB oos with tap jump off.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I play with Tap Jump off, typically. G&W's upB OoS is great versus MK, though, so I do occasionally switch back to that. Just that, tap jump off seems to help with SDIing out of multihit moves without using up your jump.

Not to mention you can still upB OoS with it off, you just need to input a few extra commands to do it.

Novabound

Smash Apprentice
I've played melee since way back in the day. I can turn on a dime while up tilting, and I can jump oos up b, and oos up b without a problem. I feel tap jump should always be on (IMO). Reason being, there will be a time you need to up air the same frame you jump, without moving left or right...and pressing up and a just feels much easier and muuuuuuuch faster than pressing Y, Up C, or Y>up > A.

Lightning Tiger

Smash Apprentice
I have never been able to get my sj out after up bing. I have no idea what i am doing wrong.
Can some1 simply explain it?

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
regular control settings.
tap jump on works wonders, no matter which MU.

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
Tap Jump ON allows for UpB out of shield. It's very necessary imo.
ur bad bro, upB OOS can be done with tap jump on OR off. to do it with Off you need to set R trigger as jump. if you use R trigger as shield your probably a noob, just reverse it. if this dont work for u, you got WTF'd

takes a littler more skill, but youll realize soon that its the only way to play GW, otherwise your second rate

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I still don't understand why you would need tap jump off.

You don't need it to help you utilt better. Utilt is not a good move.
You don't need it to do uair, that's what Cstick is for.
You don't have to worry about accidentally jumping with up and starting a glide (like with mk) and killing yourself.

That and a good player should never "accidentally" input a jump when they don't mean to.

The only advantage I see for having tap jump off is to UpB, save your second jump, aerial, then use your second jump. However, this can be achieved simply by using an attack or airdodge (I like to bucket), then hold up before the attack ends and buffer an UpB. You won't lose your second jump this way.

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion

You don't have to worry about accidentally jumping with up and starting a glide (like with mk) and killing yourself.

That and a good player should never "accidentally" input a jump when they don't mean to.

The only advantage I see for having tap jump off is to UpB, save your second jump, aerial, then use your second jump. However, this can be achieved simply by using an attack or airdodge (I like to bucket), then hold up before the attack ends and buffer an UpB. You won't lose your second jump this way.
i read 2 lines and said, this guys is ********.
bro just dont talk to me ok. your like dire... cept dire was cool
once you use Utilt ina combo ill consider you as a GW. until then shut the fvck up

Splice

Smash Hero
ur bad bro, upB OOS can be done with tap jump on OR off. to do it with Off you need to set R trigger as jump. if you use R trigger as shield your probably a noob, just reverse it. if this dont work for u, you got WTF'd

takes a littler more skill, but youll realize soon that its the only way to play GW, otherwise your second rate
This sounds really smart to me, actually. I'll be doing this!
Seeing as it really isnt any trouble to adapt to R as jump for me (just mucking around then) and Tap Jump Off is, whilst only a tiny bit more useful, still useful.

Utilt is a good move sometimes, it's really easy to kill with Utilt on Brinstar.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
I gotta back NoJ up (with the u-tilt thing, i respect UTD for keeping G&W alive single handedly)

take wolf. you get him in a u-tilt early on, you can link like 4, then two nairs.

u-tilt --> nairs is amazing.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655

G&W's up tilt is amazing so idk what your talking about. And turning off tap jump does help you do Utilts a lot better. I love how mods resolve issues, ban people that disagree with them. Nazis.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Lol I really like NoJ. He's a cool guy. I'm glad that he brings these type of arguments to the table, it makes people think. I banned him because he kept making stupid threads and posts and calling me names and stuff.

Anyway, I think the reason tap jump off helps you do utilts more easily is because you guys' thumbs aren't trained well enough. Sure it's going to be easy to just jam the control stick up without caring about how hard you hit it and then input A or cstick up. It's "easier" then having to concentrate on pushing it up slowly.

However, coming from the times of Super Monkey Ball has helped me realize that it really isn't that hard to train yourself to utilt with tap jump on. All it takes is some practice (and it's a lot easier to learn than wavedashing). I have never had a problem where I've accidentally usmashed instead of utilted, it just doesnt happen to me. The thought process for me to utilt is second nature.

If anything, this thread has convinced me to find good uses for utilt (if any).

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
Lol I really like NoJ. He's a cool guy. I'm glad that he brings these type of arguments to the table, it makes people think. I banned him because he kept making stupid threads and posts and calling me names and stuff.

Anyway, I think the reason tap jump off helps you do utilts more easily is because you guys' thumbs aren't trained well enough. Sure it's going to be easy to just jam the control stick up without caring about how hard you hit it and then input A or cstick up. It's "easier" then having to concentrate on pushing it up slowly.

However, coming from the times of Super Monkey Ball has helped me realize that it really isn't that hard to train yourself to utilt with tap jump on. All it takes is some practice (and it's a lot easier to learn than wavedashing). I have never had a problem where I've accidentally usmashed instead of utilted, it just doesnt happen to me. The thought process for me to utilt is second nature.

If anything, this thread has convinced me to find good uses for utilt (if any).
Theres a lot of good uses for it. Tap jump is just terrible.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
i'm surprised he hasn't been banned earlier since this isnt' first time he's done this.

If it was anyone else, you would have banned them on the spot the first time,dontcha think? lol

I keep it off cuz it's just become a habit lol,but i can play either one
and nah....as much as you want to try and make utilt look good,it isn't
it's horrible in fact

the only good uses for it is
- racking up good damage at 0%, if you even manage to get that close,better on heavy character(and the star fox characters)
but you don't wanna be getting that close to heavy characters like snake or DDD lol
-killing at extremely high percantages (170% and up)
-getting a grab on rob at 0%( this is the only common use i see for it)

although these are good uses for it, these opportunities don't come up very often and are hard to pull off without getting damaged yourself lol
Though this will be the case most of the times and you'll end up taking unnecessary damage=/.

It's true that every move of every character has a use but some of them just have very little uses,that another attack can cover without the risk.

Another example,
Warios utilt lol

Novabound

Smash Apprentice
Robs that miss the tech can't buffer a roll fast enough to dodge utilt from Dthrow.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
i'm surprised he hasn't been banned earlier since this isnt' first time he's done this.

If it was anyone else, you would have banned them on the spot the first time,dontcha think? lol

I keep it off cuz it's just become a habit lol,but i can play either one
and nah....as much as you want to try and make utilt look good,it isn't
it's horrible in fact

the only good uses for it is
- racking up good damage at 0%, if you even manage to get that close,better on heavy character(and the star fox characters)
but you don't wanna be getting that close to heavy characters like snake or DDD lol
-killing at extremely high percantages (170% and up)
-getting a grab on rob at 0%( this is the only common use i see for it)

although these are good uses for it, these opportunities don't come up very often and are hard to pull off without getting damaged yourself lol
Though this will be the case most of the times and you'll end up taking unnecessary damage=/.

It's true that every move of every character has a use but some of them just have very little uses,that another attack can cover without the risk.

Another example,
Warios utilt lol

I dont think he should of been banned at all. He said what was needed to be said. But G&W up tilt serves for a lot more purposes. It can hit Fox and Falco out of phantasms. Also you can follow it with a nair or uair to bair or something. Out of curiousity Penta like what do you do? I dont see you in any tourney results I dont see any vids of you on youtube playing brawl with your main. But yet you have over 3,000 posts. Do you just sit on smashboards all day? And talk about competetive smash when you do nothing in it. It seems like your just like one of UTD zac's cronies that just agrees to everything he says and does.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
I dont think he should of been banned at all. He said what was needed to be said. But G&W up tilt serves for a lot more purposes. It can hit Fox and Falco out of phantasms. Also you can follow it with a nair or uair to bair or something. Out of curiousity Penta like what do you do? I dont see you in any tourney results I dont see any vids of you on youtube playing brawl with your main. But yet you have over 3,000 posts. Do you just sit on smashboards all day? And talk about competetive smash when you do nothing in it. It seems like your just like one of UTD zac's cronies that just agrees to everything he says and does.
i don't post vids of myself cuz i mostly wifi
and it's not really worth putting up.
At tourneys,i could probably get vids of myself,but again,i don't find any purpose to it yet ;/.
I brawl alot though

I go to every tourney around here that i could tho my results are meh ;/
i get better at every i go to so i hope to start placing one day
and i don't think it's right for you to judge me because of the number of posts i have lol
some people here w/ more posts than me rarely brawl and just come to talk about smash, nothing wrong with that.
Respect others please.

UTDzac's cronies? LOL
how?he said he likes NOJ,i said i hate him o.O

and i hate UTDZAC :mad:
when i see him at viridian 7,ima throw a real hammer at him and see how he likes it :laugh:
<3

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Lol I have cronies now?

@thesoviet: Just to clarify, I didn't ban NoJ or give him any infraction points for what he posted in this thread. What he posted here was perfectly reasonable. It's what he posted in other threads...

izzy24

Smash Ace
back on topic, i usually have it off but it makes sense to change it for heavily used oos upb's matches like MK, I test it out and see how it works out.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
I'm not your crony ._.
i hate you!
HATE HAT9, with a 9

nice santa hat LOL

anyway,sorry for spamming peoples >.>
back on topic

Vinnie

Smash Master
*goes back off topic*

Pentasalia goes to tourneys lol. I see him at like every other one, at least. He's a rising gnw main.

TheSoviet, I've never heard of you, however.

I honestly don't care about tap jump, but if my opponent goes to switch their controls, I do it too since you're already at that option. :p

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
i put tap jump off

and im the best gnw in the world, i invented to metagame strategy

i just havent used it yet cause i dont want anyone like utd stealing it or w/e

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
This thread really should have had a poll on it "Do you use tap jump ON?" I really want to see the stats on this. I have a feeling that you guys might be doing worse because of Tap Jump OFF.... just a feeling.

Screw it, i'm going to make a poll. Just don't post replies in the new thread, use this thread for discussion.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=257321

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I have it on.

My thinking is: if people played Melee, which is supposed to be a much more difficult game technically, competently with it on, should not one be able to do it in Brawl?

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I voted off.
Turns out I am also pretty curious how that poll will turn out. I dont think turning off tap jump just for utilts is a good idea at all. If anything, the real reason why one would turn it off is for SDIing.

Also, NoJ got what was coming. He should of, in fact, been banned ages ago when he did the same thing to Hylian. He's just a really bad user who trolls a lot. Good player? Sure. Being a good player doesn't excuse the stuff he's done and would continue doing, though.

Good riddance, tbh. Lets hope he stays banned :3

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
*goes back off topic*

Pentasalia goes to tourneys lol. I see him at like every other one, at least. He's a rising gnw main.

TheSoviet, I've never heard of you, however.

I honestly don't care about tap jump, but if my opponent goes to switch their controls, I do it too since you're already at that option. :p
well now you have. Better recognize.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
You aren't very friendly for a newcomer. :dizzy:
I wasnt being mean. I was just saying. Im not a new comer either. I've been on smashboards for a while just wasnt a poster. look at our join dates brah.

Vinnie

Smash Master
Well I haven't really seen your name in any tourney results, or at least near the top of them, I haven't heard from / about you, and I glanced at your post count.

And calling Penta a cronie was mean :/.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
Well I haven't really seen your name in any tourney results, or at least near the top of them, I haven't heard from / about you, and I glanced at your post count.

And calling Penta a cronie was mean :/.
Cuz I dont go to very many legit tourny's. I just said I've been on smashboards just as long as you have I just didnt post. So post count really means nothing.

Top Bottom