• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who Do You Team With? Which Character is Best in Doubles with G&W

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Official Doubles Discussion​

Since GnW is the best character in doubles I figured I'll go ahead and bump this back up for discussion just in case people have questions.
Here, people can ask questions about doubles, who's the best character for GnW in doubles, etc.

From what I conclude from this thread, I'll keep a list up on characters that work better or worse for GnW.
The list will follow this chart
Excellent
Good
Decent
Sub-par
Bad
Marth -
Snake -
Metaknight - Excellent
Diddy -

Game and Watch -
Donkey Kong -
Wario -
Zero Suit Samus -
Olimar -
Toon Link -

King DeDeDe -
Ike -
Falco -
Kirby -
Wolf -
Ganondorf -
Sheik -
Bowser -
Link -
Lucario -
Ice Climbers -
Rob -
Samus -
Pokemon Trainer -
Sonic -
Mario -
Yoshi -
Peach -
Fox -
Pikachu -
Pit -

Luigi -
Zelda -
Ness -
Lucas -
Captain Falcon -
Jigglypuff -

kaak

Smash Journeyman
My opinion about the best combination is gaw/zss because the dsmash into bucket.

My teampartner is a good d3 player and works very good, overall we getting a second place on tourny's we have some good team tactics and we know each other play style.

Gaw is a good team character, quik dammage racking and good kill moves and upair/upB to save your teampartner.

small tactic with d3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSMs42dUKk8

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Sorta not related to bucket teaming, but I found recently that ROB works wonders as a teammate.

Rob...G&W...Enemy team
is the situation you aim for. Too good.

G&W pairs with most any character with success. Buckets are pretty solid of a backup strategy, though. Me and Shaky (the Ness player) are #10 on the AiB doubles ladder and we dont even really play much lol. Ness and G&W is really good. Solid bucket game, you help his bad recovery, no more grab releases for Ness, and he has really no issues killing.

Novabound

Smash Apprentice
That vid made me lol hard >_>.(Can I get song dl?) Since we moved out of our hometown, I lost my pika/mk partner. As of right now, I don't truly have one, but I do get in on a lot of friendlies, and we always seem to do very well together. I like to crack a joke that a team with a GaW on it is the best team, but it doesn't seem too far off. GaW's kill moves get incredibly easy to hit through the use of team work, and with proper prediction, uair saving is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo broken. I've teamed with Pit, Snake, Mk, Pika, ZSS, Mario, and lucario. That's a huge spectrum of tiers, and I win a fair amount. I feel though if someone can give you a decent bucket that can kill at 60% or lower, than that team should be relatively effective.

But that doesn't mean GaW requires oil to win in teams. Again, GaW kills at ridiculously low percents, and if you can abuse that, you will do well.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
G&W meta is pretty good to because of up Mk up throw to G&W's up B is pretty broken. Its like a kill at 60%. But yeah I agree with ROB G&W being really good. But not against metas.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Actually we did fine versus MK in teams this weekend, it was just a matter of setting up the scenario I mentioned.

Ike isnt a bad teammate either, though. I've played with YagamiLight in wifi doubles to some success. Ike is pretty good in teams compared to his singles play.

Havent teamed with a pit ever :(

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
i usually team with a Marth, we do pretty well completmenting eachother, even though that team doesn't sound good on paper.

i've also teamed with a Fox and a Snake before, but it's never gone as good as with the Marth.

Splice

Smash Hero
MK and Pit and DK and Olimar I find are good.

DK you can help him survive and together you both tend to have high survivability and good kill moves, and both can wrack up damage quite easily. Plus DK's hurtbox when grabbing someone is moved away from who he is grabbing so its easy for GaW to space a Fsmash to kill. Also I won doubles at a big event with this team.

Olimar takes stage control and GaW pressures and zones in the air (occasionally landing, UpBing straight away). Olimar isnt very dependable though... At least the teamate i had isnt lol!

MK and Pit are more obvious and have also already been mentioned, but I will say Pits arrows are the EASIEST projectile to bucket IMO, and one of the more powerful too, So you can be fighting seperately and still fill up a powerful bucket.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
Actually we did fine versus MK in teams this weekend, it was just a matter of setting up the scenario I mentioned.

Ike isnt a bad teammate either, though. I've played with YagamiLight in wifi doubles to some success. Ike is pretty good in teams compared to his singles play.

Havent teamed with a pit ever :(
My ROB partner always have problems with MK so we just go double MK on Mk's since we can both play him. But I still dont see how G&W and Ike can be good. I cant see how Ike is good in teams period. I think MK and G&W is the most **** combo.

lou4222

Smash Lord
Me and my partner just started doing GW and Wario, which is broken. Warios down throw is a free GW up smash every single time. Plus GW and Wario live forever, both kill early and rack percent. Double MKs are the only team that has given us a bunch of trouble.

I think GW and lucario would be insane too. Obviously any bucket shananigans work well.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
Me and my partner just started doing GW and Wario, which is broken. Warios down throw is a free GW up smash every single time. Plus GW and Wario live forever, both kill early and rack percent. Double MKs are the only team that has given us a bunch of trouble.

I think GW and lucario would be insane too. Obviously any bucket shananigans work well.
I've never seen wario with g&w but lucario idk. I think he would gimped a lot in teams. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uqnyewTmmk&feature=related I think this makes G&W MK amazing.

derkapalooza

Smash Journeyman
zelda + g&w is a good team as well.

dins fire + bucket = auto ko.
whats cool is that dins fire can act as a atk/bucket fill at the same time. as long as g&w is somewhat close to the blast radius he can absorb the fire and any nearby opponents will still get hurt by the blast!

another team atk me and my partner like to do is that when zelda catches someone in her u-smash it holds them in place while i like to come up from the side and either turtle them for extra damage or try to 9 them

g&w also helps zelda alot when it comes to getting back on the stage. so it helps her survive longer to possibly get some sick sweetspotted kicks in there haha

Alfa

Smash Apprentice
gaw and pit is pretty **** too :)
As G&W / Wario in doubles, I lost to a Pit / G&W in doubles last tourny, the bucket ***** us.

Agreed. Me and a friend had a Wario / G&W team at an Australian National in October and came 7th. We lost to the guys who came first, and Earl + Nicks, who came 5th and went double MK. Also, G&W bair is a free dair for Wario, and vise-versa, and Chomp to anything is awesome.

Bigger tactic with d3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcg5dzHg7cg

Valdens

Smash Ace
I've had notable success with several MK partners. In general he compliments GnW well by being able to provide that pressuring support that allows us to yield more damage output.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Hylian and UTD should do double G&W's for an epic team up:smash:
so epic that it'll probably fail lmao

:o
(imagines hylian and UTD doing back to back arms crossed position)lol

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Try G&W and Mario, Mario and G&W get a LOT of shenanigans in teams.

You already know what G&W does in teams...Mario has the Cape **** for another source of insane gimp KOs, FLUDD can do trippy things in doubles (sliding Bucket anyone?). Mario also survives pretty long provided he doesn't get gimped, and his B-throw is amazing in teams.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Ganon is definitely not someone I would want as a teammate. Sure, he does better in 2v2s as he's automatically in their face, and yeah we can Uair help him, but he's still a real gimp character which we'd have to babysit.

He's a better teammate than IC's at least.

mustard g&w

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4639-9942-4908
I think Luigi and G&W is a good team. Not only can you bucket his fireballs but if you grab one of the other players Luigi can up-b them for a ton of damage or kill them

SorryAboutYourDaughter

Smash Rookie
Even though I despise him, Metaknight is the best character I've teamed up with avec G&W. Sheik's not bad, but dies too early. I saw people talking about R.O.B., and the combo IS great, but not in high-tier play. Snake is simply too slow. For me it's either MK, or Diddy.

EDIT: Teaming with Lucas is a power orgy, but not recommended for all situations.

Fino

Smash Master
Dave and I had a simple strategy that seemed to work.
(1) G&W ***** the air
(2) Olimar cover the ground
(3) C-stick a lot in between (just cover the stage in killing hitboxes :D )

It got us first... ^^; but I dunno if he's, by any means, the best.
EDIT: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=259412
We've never teamed before either... @.@ That was all from one tournament, lulz

~Fino

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I usually use Game and watch or Luigi in teams. Ive overall had good luck teaming with a Zamus, Rob, DK, or Diddy.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
personally, while playing GW in teams, i like teaming with any character that can just handle snake by themselves, and maybe a MK if necessary, as GW can pretty much handle anyone else

plus anyone who holds the opponent out when they grab, since it doesnt matter about ports and you can space out kill moves from grabs. if i cant do bucket shenanigans, i just go for more judgement hammers.

NNID
LilG912
Mario and G&W would do gud teams, the sliding bucket is too gud. I like G&W and Snake better, they both have killing potential, G&W makes up Snake's aerial game while Snake handle his opponents on ground. :)

SuperGosu

Smash Rookie
I actually remember seeing GIMR and Slikvik from MD/VA play a GAW team and did incredibly well until they decided to switch their mains. But if you don't feel comfortable with GAW dittos for teams, ZSS is obviously the best choice.

If you can't find a ZSS, I'd have to go with Wolf. Not only does his gun fill up GAWs bucket (and it deals good damage too), at high percents Wolf can dthrow a person into a fully charged dsmash from GAW. But it depends on you really. If you cant find a ZSS or Wolf, MK goes will do just fine. (He does well with whoever for teams).

Top Bottom