• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario's Week 20 Matchup Discussion: DK

Padô

Smash Lord
Lol.

DK

I guess this is 70-30 since we play to win and we got a REALLY easy cg here, from 0% to 200% don't know but whatever.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Bite and dthrow

GGs

65:35
do whats stated above.

Watch for the bairs, usually they will try to chain them or WOP with them. you can punish after one back air.

Watch for grab release > Punch (sh*t hurts, might just be pixles and frames but it hurts you on the inside)

^^ stay under platforms BAN FD!!!!!!!!

if they DI inward after bite you can chain to another bite, i once got around 8 noms because he didnt DI away. (not kidding, it was tourney too!) i found it to be really gay and was facepalming myself for doing it but i couldnt stop, wario was just too hungry.

if you get a nom at 0-10% run up and grab. basically 1 nom + 0% = 100+ damage.

dont get too cocky though it might cost you the game. Play it cautiously, DK can pack a PUNCH
omfg dyno stop with the puns cant you see no1 likes you?

Clap works rather well too, u can chain a couple for quick damage if you can read their airdodge well, DK will most likely air dodge just because he has no good moves that are fast while coming down.

Review for your test: 1 bite = 100 damage, juggle dk and read his airdodges. punish back airs. watch for his punch. dont get grab released. stay below platforms. Ban FD.

60-40

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
do whats stated above.

Watch for the bairs, usually they will try to chain them or WOP with them. you can punish after one back air.

Watch for grab release > Punch (sh*t hurts, might just be pixles and frames but it hurts you on the inside)

^^ stay under platforms BAN FD!!!!!!!!

if they DI inward after bite you can chain to another bite, i once got around 8 noms because he didnt DI away. (not kidding, it was tourney too!) i found it to be really gay and was facepalming myself for doing it but i couldnt stop, wario was just too hungry.

if you get a nom at 0-10% run up and grab. basically 1 nom + 0% = 100+ damage.

dont get too cocky though it might cost you the game. Play it cautiously, DK can pack a PUNCH
omfg dyno stop with the puns cant you see no1 likes you?

Clap works rather well too, u can chain a couple for quick damage if you can read their airdodge well, DK will most likely air dodge just because he has no good moves that are fast while coming down.

Review for your test: 1 bite = 100 damage, juggle dk and read his airdodges. punish back airs. watch for his punch. dont get grab released. stay below platforms. Ban FD.

60-40
I'd have to disagree with your choice of stages against DK. I wouldn't ban Final D. That's a good stage against DK even though Grab release wrecks you. It's better to play on this stage as opposed to a stage where DK can camp under platofmrs and make it very difficult for you to approach.

Padô

Smash Lord
Maybe we are caring too much with grab release thing lol...
If DK misses a grab its an instant grab and CG, its too easy to do since you dont have to buffer...

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
If DK misses a grab its an instant grab and CG, its too easy to do since you dont have to buffer...
Normally I wouldn't mind about getting grabbed. However, DK and Peach are the only two characters I hate getting grabbed released from they kill way too early from a grab release. Especially DK who can do a charged punch from a grab release.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
I'd have to disagree with your choice of stages against DK. I wouldn't ban Final D. That's a good stage against DK even though Grab release wrecks you. It's better to play on this stage as opposed to a stage where DK can camp under platofmrs and make it very difficult for you to approach.
I fully understand what you are saying, but i personally feel that FD is the way to go as far as bans. If DK is camping under a platform then that is better for wario. We have the projectiles. Also if DK is under a platform camping you and you are having trouble, then you are doing something wrong. You weren't under the platform first and you were approaching. :lick:

because its the only thing we need to care about in this matchup.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I fully understand what you are saying, but i personally feel that FD is the way to go as far as bans. If DK is camping under a platform then that is better for wario. We have the projectiles. Also if DK is under a platform camping you and you are having trouble, then you are doing something wrong. You weren't under the platform first and you were approaching. :lick:

because its the only thing we need to care about in this matchup.
Projectiles?

I ban Battlefield... always. They are way too stupid on that stage for everyone's good.
He's pretty good on Brinstar also.

Alfa

Smash Apprentice
For some reason, if DK cargo grabs you (the one where he is able to walk around carrying you) holding up or down counts as if you were mashing as fast as you can on the controller. Wiggling the Cstick too also helps to break you out even faster. Everytime he cargo grabs you, make sure to do this, otherwise you'll be cargo throw stage spiked.

ChomP

Smash Cadet
You can tech the cargo throw, so you don't get stage spiked.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Projectiles?

He's pretty good on Brinstar also.
if he is under one platform. go to the other (im using BF as an example) crash your bike onto the stage/edge, throw it up,clap, get the wheel, throw, repeat until you are ahead in percent. what can dk do about it? not like he can approach wario or anything.

Padô

Smash Lord
if he is under one platform. go to the other (im using BF as an example) crash your bike onto the stage/edge, throw it up,clap, get the wheel, throw, repeat until you are ahead in percent. what can dk do about it? not like he can approach wario or anything.
Don't want to say that you are doing it wrong but I prefer Nair'ing it because if you clap the bike you'll stale the move :)

I ban BF too just because of his bair. It's annoying and if he camps down the plaftorms it does get a little harder.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Yeah, but we're Wario on Brinstar, so... I hope they counterpick me there, lol.
I know Wario is supposed to be really good on that stage but I'm not to comfortable there personally. I don't see why it's so well liked by wario's. Getting CP by a DK on brinstar is really lame. He kills earlier and his down B is practically the whole bottom half of the stage.

You can tech the cargo throw, so you don't get stage spiked.
Na they have a way to deal with it even if you tech the cargo throw. It's better to just hold up. They made the vid private so I can't link it you but definitely don't think that teching the CSS makes you safe because it doesn't.

So I have to go to the other side of the stage. Bike onto stage. pick up my bike. Then uair it. Grab the wheel then throw it at him.....I don't see that happening.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
So I have to go to the other side of the stage. Bike onto stage. pick up my bike. Then uair it. Grab the wheel then throw it at him.....I don't see that happening.
That is what i would do if DK is camping under a platform and wont approach you. otherwise it can be used as a bait and/or projectiles.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
You know he can just shield the wheel or attack it, right, and then it's gone and you have to repeat the whole process. Wheels suck for anti-camping (super sexy for combos and mindgames though).

Oh, and the easiest way to break the bike is probably dair > upsmash, or just upsmash it a bunch. I believe if you break the bike w/ upsmash, the big wheel ends up RIGHT next to you.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
You know he can just shield the wheel or attack it, right, and then it's gone and you have to repeat the whole process. Wheels suck for anti-camping (super sexy for combos and mindgames though).

Oh, and the easiest way to break the bike is probably dair > upsmash, or just upsmash it a bunch. I believe if you break the bike w/ upsmash, the big wheel ends up RIGHT next to you.
Its an option to pile damage without approaching. It also lures them. I dont see a reason not to do it. if he rushes while its in the air you can combo off the bike. you can also use it a an increased hitbox that doesnt hurt you only him which will make him try to space it (while its still in the air) so expect a bair. Ide rather do this than just wait for him to come towards me or try to beat his back air and approach or just do nothing and hop around which is considered "stalling"

and as for the tire: when i clap i let it bounce the 2-3 times that it does and i air dodge right after it break, i get the wheel almost every time. I'm not gonna say 100% because that will just be redundant.

Waymas

Smash Journeyman
personally i think its 55:45 or 60 : 40 wario has enough stuff to shut down dk , like dair and bite , just beware of the gr into a dk punch it hurts and alot xD or gr to upsmash. I prefer to ban fd or bf , dk is really tough on platforms.

Quik17

Smash Ace
Usually for this matchup I ask the DK player to agree to a no chaingrabs + no grab releases match.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
????

I would never agree to that lol. A 0-death CG basically for getting grab released when you CAN SDI the kill moves and try to tech? I mean that's better than guaranteed death from almost anything that lands on you below 30%. Bite to Dash grab combos at lower %'s as someone mentioned (frame trap, he cannot avoid it) and you can Uair/Dair/Nair to Grab too.

65:35 gay ratio.

Quik17

Smash Ace
It's just personal preference. I think the matchup is also 65:35 if you take out our chaingrabs and his grab release.

Again, it just my preference. I feel much more comfortable in the matchup with that agreement.

Edit: What do you mean when you say SDI and tech the kill moves?? Tech what?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
The floor.

No, I am not crazy.

It's possible, and with practice makes perfect.

If he grab releases you near a platform, you can SDI to the platform and tech that too.

Quik17

Smash Ace
Sounds insane lol. Is there a video of someone doing that anywhere?

I'll try it out but I'm probably not gonna bother learning it since it seems like it will take forever to get it down.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
For things that are obviously coming like a grab release kill move on Wario, it is immensefully easier SDIing it successfully. What you need to focus more on is getting the right directions down and inputting them clearly and very fast. It's very worth it even if you CAN'T get the tech.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
the problem with this matchup is DK's problem in a lot of matchups

DK has to commit to his approaches, and they're mostly unsafe. Just wait for us to do something and punish lol. "The winner is... Wario!!!"

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I can bite to dash grab guaranteed under 30%
I can Uair to guaranteed grab under 30%
I can Dair/Nair/Fair and guaranteed grab at the right %'s
I can Moonwalk and DK can only do the Worm

It's a bad matchup lol.

Top Bottom