• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi's Island Ghosts Test

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I just ran a little test. I watched 3 matches where two players did not move at all and took notes on the times that the ghosts dropped to see if there was any consistency.

Unfortunately, it seems to be 100% random. There was absolutely no correlation between the 3 times. I watched the beginning of 5 more matches to check if at least the first ghost would appear at a similar time, but it never happened.

Not sure if people already knew this or what, just wanted to post my results here.

It's kind of silly to have a neutral with such a random mechanic in there that can literally save a match for someone, IMO. I personally feel like only having FD, BF, and SV as neutrals would be the best option, but I digress.

If anyone has any other findings about the ghosts or any other patterns on YI, feel free to post them here.

Holty

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'm with you, especially when Smash Wiki also states that the support ghost appears and disappears at random. Interestingly, though, you can actually see the support ghost offscreen when you pause the game.

MJG

Smash Hero
Good find. I've wondered about the ghost as well...at one point I thought the time in which the ghost came up was 4-5 seconds apart (either ghost would come up)

Anyways...this stage is dumb IMO

Splice

Smash Hero
Smashville, Battlefield, Final Destination, Halberd, Yoshis Island.

Those are the stages i think that are closest to neutral out of all the others, in order from most neutral to not quite. Halberd has the things that try to kill you, but they are easily avoidable and the ghost can on Y.I can change much more than the weapons on Halberd. Plus the bumpy ground on Y.I and the edges can be silly.

I agree, SV, BF, and FD for three random neutrals.

Oh, did you do a test to see when the ghost on oneside pops up in correlation to the otherside? For example, say at 0:37 the ghost on the right pops up, will the one on the left always pop up in the next 10 seconds? That would be worthwhile to check on, imo.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
the cycle is 100% random according to my 3 full tests.

a ghost can come up ten times on one side without it coming up on the other side once. its pretty ridiculous from what ive gathered

Noobicidal

Smash Master
I gathered the same results a few months back while working on Gerudo spiking (aerial side b into opponent on a edge-less side, opponent keeps falling after Ganon lands).

Prawn

Smash Master
lol if you have SV, BF, and FD on random ICs would be mad broken so yeah do it! lulz

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
So like there's ghost in smash bros brawl

Are you talkinabout like racing your ghost to see if you can beat your record

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
the cycle is 100% random according to my 3 full tests.

a ghost can come up ten times on one side without it coming up on the other side once. its pretty ridiculous from what ive gathered
Unless we can see the equation for how it works it looks like its just going to have to be like that, I dont see much of a problem with YI as a neutral imo.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Did you try it with different %?

It may be the ghost routinely appears to save the person at higher %, or perhaps it routinely appears only on the side with more players?

UberMario

Smash Master
BTW, everyone knows they're called Shy Guys...right?
Nope, they're called Support Ghosts and what you are referring to are the Fly Guys, which are a type of Shy Guy and are simple bg props that have almost no effect on gameplay. The Support Ghosts have usable platforms on their heads and appear every once-and-a-while below the ledges.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Nope, they're called Support Ghosts and what you are referring to are the Fly Guys, which are a type of Shy Guy and are simple bg props that have almost no effect on gameplay. The Support Ghosts have usable platforms on their heads and appear every once-and-a-while below the ledges.
Doesn't hitting them use it stale move tallies?

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Yes, because if we turned items on (Lol, Competitive Brawl) the flyguys would be holding food instead of floating around and doing nothing but letting you stale moves.

highfive

Smash Lord
I did hear a while back that the maximum amount of time the support ghost will not appear on one side is 20 seconds. Although the information in the OP contradicts my statement.

Luxor

Smash Champion
From looking at it again, I'm inclined to agree with Overswarm. The ghosts seem to want to help you recover. They at least appear when the fight moves to that edge.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Interestingly, though, you can actually see the support ghost offscreen when you pause the game.
I believe this is important. If the Support Ghost is simply offscreen and moving back and forth, then the only random thing is when it decides to come up instead of continue moving, while the current possible location for it to pop up should have a straight answer.

If someone can hack the camera or if the normal replay camera can be exploited then this can probably be further verified.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Good catch, Ankoku.

Does anyone have a camera hack that allows them to see the support ghost at all times? It'd be interesting to see if you could determine any pattern to it.

I wonder if the tilting of the stage platform means anything...

solecalibur

Smash Master
I'd also take note of the weather and the characters have to stand still 100% of the time next time you test it

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Potential variables:

Weather
Platform tilt
Player %
Player location
Ghost location (if it is a constant out of camera)

Number 28

Smash Cadet
YI should be CP for the ghosts. A starter should not have any random element. I agree with the OP.

Ah except when the random element does not effect gameplay in competive settings like the SV balloons offcourse. In that case it's fine IMO.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Did you try it with different %?

It may be the ghost routinely appears to save the person at higher %, or perhaps it routinely appears only on the side with more players?
Hmm.. this seems like a good theory, but like Ankoku said, a camera hack would be the best way to determine this.

edit: nevermind, seems someone's already tested it.

So like there's ghost in smash bros brawl

Are you talkinabout like racing your ghost to see if you can beat your record
lol... *facepalm* :laugh:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
YI should be CP for the ghosts. A starter should not have any random element. I agree with the OP.

Ah except when the random element does not effect gameplay in competive settings like the SV balloons offcourse. In that case it's fine IMO.
I've seen Ness gimped by the Smashville balloon before. G&W can refresh his stale moves nearly completely off it if given a chance since the wind from his uair doesn't pop it but does enter the stale moves queue when making contact with the balloon. Everyone else can get their one stale move refreshed off it which can actually matter. It definitely is a non-negligible gameplay element; I guess Smashville isn't starter-grade either.

For that matter, the ground on Final Destination is basically a random element because you can randomly trip on it or pull random turnips or pikmin colors out of it with Peach and Olimar respectively. The same could be said of Battlefield. I guess Brawl has zero starters.

Really though, people should just suck some of this stuff up. The game has some randomness. This is true on every single stage. Some stages have a little more. Most of the time, it's not much. When it is legitimately not much, just deal with it. Play around it; if your actions are informed by the random elements existing, you will pretty much never lose a game because of them. If you do once in a very, very great while, you can still pretty much blame yourself. If the match was so phenomenally close that the only deciding factor was one random stage element going against you, you weren't going to win a very convincing victory in any case. You could also have lost to a single random trip or Peach pulling a single better item out of a turnip pull or any of that business, stuff that's more likely and can happen on every stage. There's definitely no ground to complain or blame the game.

Top Bottom