• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why we have wavebouncing, how to easily perform it w/o b-sticking and what does th-..

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Why we have wavebouncing, how to easily perform it w/o b-sticking and what does this mean?

Hi, my name is saviorslegacy.
Some of you may know me as the dude he wasted his time finding a dozen or so useless footsool combo's, or the dude who tried to discover a wavedash like glitch.
I was successful at both. lol

I have turned my attention away from glitches and such recently and more onto Sheiks bair basics to try and advance her as much as I can and pass up the competition.
This is last weeks work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbApWVcoWBk
This is the work from last month: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMiTCEw5t_M (I know how it works and how to perform it.... keep quite those of you that I have told... or Ankoku... since Ankoku= genius)
(and) I have more stuff that I am not yet telling or have just not released yet due to time constraints and that I want to be the only one that knows how to perform and counter such AT's or strategies.

Anyways, I recently done this with Sheik:
ran right> performed Needle's> slid backwards and then canceled my needle's to put myself into a neutral position
I at first was shocked. Then I had realized that I had just performed this, but on the ground: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiAg0sozXE8
Now I went and tried to learn how to do this when I want to on the ground.
What I found was pretty cool.
I took my knowledge that I had just learned and combined it with the knowledge that I gained what I was doing this project: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4eTFNYlaV0
I found that pivot walking and b reversing are one in the same.

So
lets take a look at how and why you wave bounce:

In Brawl the c-stick has 2 properties.
#1 It performs its primary objective (w/e you have it set to). Most people it is set to Smash.

#2 Secondly it inputs a direction right after the attack.
Go into training, set the speed to 1/4, hit B and then hit left/right with the analog as quickly as you possibly can. You should perform over B even though you just inputted a normal B at first.

In Brawl you can hit in a direction and then perform a special attack shortly after to B reverse.
This is important to wavebouncing.

In Brawl, if you pivot you will gain momentum.
This is the most important thing to wavebouncing.

Put
this all together and you have the key elements to understanding how and why wavebouncing works.

How it works!

Here is the exact input of Lucas's b-sticked wavebounce PK Fire:
jump> PK Flash right> direction input left> momentum gained from the pivot or turn around (you can't turn around though because you have committed yourself to this move), direction momentum reversed (you cannot turn around because you are two far into the animation and you are committed to your current direction)

Here
is the EXACT input of Lucas's wavebounce PK Fire WITHOUT a b-stick.
jump> PK Flash right> analog left> momentum gained from the pivot or turn around (you can't turn around though because you have committed yourself to this move), direction momentum reversed (you cannot turn around because you are two far into the animation and you are committed to your current direction)

Now that we know this here is the SUPER easy way to wavebounce with all of your moves.
Just practice this for a hour and you will be able to wavebounce anything and everything w/o breaking a sweat.

Simply perform your special and after a very small amount of time just hit back on the analog.
It is THAT easy. Go into training mode and start at 1/4. You should be able to do everything with ease.

I
hope you all will apply what I have typed up and spent my time on with it being FINALS WEEK.
Peace, take care and may you have a Merry Christmas, ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho.....

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
A couple things here are incorrect interpretation of how the physics in Brawl work, but I'm not motivated enough to point them out right now. Maybe sometime in the future.

Anyway, I'd be surprised if people didn't know how to wavebounce by now.

saviorslegacy

A couple things here are incorrect interpretation of how the physics in Brawl work, but I'm not motivated enough to point them out right now. Maybe sometime in the future.

Anyway, I'd be surprised if people didn't know how to wavebounce by now.
I'll IM you.

I see Snakes doing it with their nade, but nothing big.
it is hard to post something that has been known for a year and to tell everyone something they didn't know. However, not everyone is that someone. Maybe if it is sold as easy (which it is) more people will take interest in it and eventually everyone will know how to do it easily and understand how it works.

ReesesPieces67

Smash Cadet
so this is basically pivot boosting and doing the b thing which ive been doing both of for quite a long time

saviorslegacy

so this is basically pivot boosting and doing the b thing which ive been doing both of for quite a long time
No, not pivot boosting.
Just perform B and then hit back on the analog.

BTW, nice to see you after all this time too. <,<
I thought Link mains didn't like SWF.
Even if an attack register in on the combo counter it can be dodged.
Yes yes we all know this.

ReesesPieces67

Smash Cadet
im saying the walking is pivot boosting. the b then back i learned from dan like 6 months ago. it can be done with side b too

saviorslegacy

im saying the walking is pivot boosting. the b then back i learned from dan like 6 months ago. it can be done with side b too
Well yeah duh. You have been doing it to me for like ever.
I had someone point out in a match that I uploaded that it was funny that you done it. lol

It can be done with up B (you can clearly see it with Falco) and down B (Dedede shows it well) as well. I'm pretty sure Link bounces when pulling out a bomb and I know he bounce's when throwing his rang.

ReesesPieces67

Smash Cadet
yea. im just pointing out that these arent all that new, but i could see how this post could be somehwat convenient to newer players.

and we still need to get some more matches uploaded

saviorslegacy

yea. im just pointing out that these arent all that new, but i could see how this post could be somehwat convenient to newer players.

and we still need to get some more matches uploaded
I know that wavebouncing isn't new.
I was just attempting to explain why it does what it does.

Agreed, maybe we can do a few matches this week end, or possibly before then.

Veril

Frame Savant
Or don't give yourself any credit because not only is this information fairly well understood by anyone who's delved into the mechanics OR HAS PLAYED LUCAS, but its also inaccurate in several key respects.

Actually, most of this is wrong. The c-stick directional input is not read after the attack for one thing.

Hitting the a-stick in the opposite direction immediately before using a b-move is a turnaround-b. This is because a-stick directional inputs are still buffered when it returns to the neutral position. B-sticking simply allows for frame perfect turnarounds.

A b-reversal is when you tap the a-stick in the opposite direction on frame 1-3 of the special (frame 0 being the initial input, and frame 4 being the frame the reversal of direction and momentum takes place on).

A wavebounce is a b-reversed turnaround b-move. Its not hard to do manually, Lucas mains have been doing it FOREVER.

The pivot mechanic, turnaround-b mechanic, and b-reversal are unrelated beyond the coincidence of the 3 frame window for pivot grab input and directional input for b-reversals. A more valid comparison would be between b-sticked autorar and pivot-walking.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Or don't give yourself any credit because not only is this information fairly well understood by anyone who's delved into the mechanics OR HAS PLAYED LUCAS, but its also inaccurate in several key respects.

Actually, most of this is wrong. The c-stick directional input is not read after the attack for one thing.

Hitting the a-stick in the opposite direction immediately before using a b-move is a turnaround-b. This is because a-stick directional inputs are still buffered when it returns to the neutral position. B-sticking simply allows for frame perfect turnarounds.

A b-reversal is when you tap the a-stick in the opposite direction on frame 1-3 of the special (frame 0 being the initial input, and frame 4 being the frame the reversal of direction and momentum takes place on).

A wavebounce is a b-reversed turnaround b-move. Its not hard to do manually, Lucas mains have been doing it FOREVER.

The pivot mechanic, turnaround-b mechanic, and b-reversal are unrelated beyond the coincidence of the 3 frame window for pivot grab input and directional input for b-reversals. A more valid comparison would be between b-sticked autorar and pivot-walking.
This should be the new OP

Gea

Smash Master
Ah, the tooting of one's own horn in the name of internet fame lives on. I was scared we were running out of old techniques or simple things that might not even be "ATs" to take credit for.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Il agree with ankoku, you are confusing a lot of the terms here and this is far from bringing anything new. Also, you failed to explain it, B sticking is actually using double reverse(B reversal and momentum reverse), while normal b momentum reverse does not. You are right now bringing more confusion than anything. If you want to go see if I am indeed right, go and check, you can indeed see the player turn around when using b sticking.

Il explain it at some point during the day I guess.

Top Bottom