• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thieves.

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
On Sunday, December 6, I attended "KTAR - Keitaro's Tournament At Rutgers" in Somerset, NJ. I've attended a Smash tournament almost every weekend since August 2008, always bringing my Wii and televisions with me to help run the tournament faster. I have no problem doing this, as the Smashers in my region are very trustworthy and honest people who have enough dignity, common sense, and respect not to steal from others. In fact, I've even held THREE tournaments in my own home in 2009, none of which resulted in any defaced or stolen property.

At KTAR, something rather unfortunate happened.

Okay, I gave everyone two days to come clean about it, but nobody has. Now it's time to get serious.

My Wii disappeared from this event. It was on the front desk waiting for an extra television to come in so it could be set up and used. I left it there for the entirety of teams and my duration in the singles bracket. After dmbrandon, PRiDE, etc. were knocked out of singles, we went to Red Robin for dinner, planning to come back to the venue before the event ended to pick our things up.

Upon returning, around 8:30, the tournament room was nearly emptied. I went in there to pick up my laptop case and bag of clothes, which were both where I left them (behind the counter). However, my Wii was NOT there. Nobody who was working the TO desk (Keitaro, HEERO, etc.) had seen it, nobody left in the lobby had it. I know and trust almost everyone who was at that tournament with very few exceptions (people who are new that I don't know). I don't really suspect anyone in particular.

It's important to note that this Wii has my NAME written on it in pen on a sticker, and has a big blue piece of tape on one side with the number "1515" from SNES when they marked the setups. If it was taken, I highly doubt that it was by mistake. I also don't have anyone ELSE'S Wii, meaning...it wasn't a mix-up.

If anyone did take this Wii, please let me know. I'm always on AIM and always have my phone on. doomsong123 or 973-513-3794. IM or text me IMMEDIATELY if it was you, I won't have any hard feelings if you confess it to me or it was an honest mistake.
Btw, in case you're illiterate and can't read my name or physically handicapped and cannot turn the Wii on the side with my name on it, it currently has a Brawl disc in it and my channels should be the defaults + Homebrew Channel, OoT/Paper Mario 64/Metroid on VC, a hacked .wad of Smash 64, and the trial version of the Internet channel.
It isn't your fault, Keitaro.

Btw, I guess you misunderstood what I said Sunday--the colored wires aren't different. I was trying to say that all I had in the Wii were colored wires (the normal ones, yellow/red/white) and a power cord. :p

This is why randoms scare me. There was a solid amount of people that we didn't know at all at this, meaning there are plenty of people that could have taken it. Same thing like when I got my classic controller and Wiimote stolen at Viridian City--TONS of random city players there, no way of finding out who actually could have done it.

The name could not have been wiped off. It was written in pen on a sticky paper label that's been there since Alex's tournament at Play 'n Trade since October 2008.
So, my mom just came in and said she had stuff to ask about a present for my little brother for Christmas. He wants a Tony Hawk game for the Wii. I told her that that wouldn't work out because my Wii just got stolen.

She ****ing freaked.

Whoever the ****ing jerkoff who took my Wii is has now ruined a little kid's Christmas. My family is in an extremely poor financial situation and we can't afford to replace a $200 system (as well as the $50 Brawl disc) in time.

Please, everyone, tell EVERYBODY you know who attended this event (especially those that don't use Smashboards, like those PA randoms and the NJz2whatever people) to read this thread. I'd rather not have some stupid fundraiser when it's clear that somebody has my Wii.

If that room of the hotel had security cameras, I'd appreciate it if somebody contacted the staff and got those tapes looked at.
Double post, but whatever.

17: MEGAPLOX
25: Lucky
33: Gay!
33: NJz2Raw
33: Anubis
33: Heavy Garbage
33: Irony
33: Fatty
33: Puoon

Of the people who entered singles, these are the ones that I don't know at all. Everyone else who entered is well known and trusted by the community and by me personally. If you're on this list, don't take any offense, but you're my prime suspects as of now.

If anyone has a full list of people who showed up, in case people didn't enter singles, I'd like to see that as well.
This hasn't broken my trust in the community at large whatsoever. It does, however, show that some additional security measures need to be put into effect at tournaments. When random people with no names show up, the trust barrier is lifted.

That said, if anyone would like to come clean about taking my Wii, you still have your chance. Don't let it be too late and have yourself caught on security camera.

MasterDaveNo1

Banned via Warnings
I can vouch for Lucky and Anubis not taking it. I know them both of the people you don't know. The others I cant say. But narrowing it down at all helps I guess. Sorry dude. I wish you luck in getting it back or kicking the *** of the one who took it. I wasnt there, so I cant guess either

Max Ketchum

Thanks, Dave. Could you do me a favor and ask Lucky and Anubis if they may have taken a Wii by mistake?

MasterDaveNo1

Banned via Warnings
Sure, I guess. I see Lucky at school, but Anubis is a rare occurance smasher from ye days of olde, so finding him is hard. Ill try and get his AIM.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I wish I could help you find it, but I really can't think of any way to. I can personally vouch for all of the "PA Randoms" (though none of them were on your unknown entrant list). I know all of the PA players that went and trust them.

However, even that being said, there is no way you can 100% trust everybody. When your bringing expensive gaming equipment around you gotta keep your eye on it. Your Wii was on a table not even hooked up. Keep it in a bag or something. To make matters even worse, you left the venue with leaving your Wii there. I'm sorry to hear what happened and I hope matters are solved, but that's just negligent.

Max Ketchum

I know that I wasn't 100% careful with my stuff. I made the mistake of trusting everyone too easily. If my Wii were unmarked, I'd definitely be way more careful with it.

I saw people there that I've never seen before. I'm not talking about Evan/KayLo/Squall, etc. I know all of them. I thought they were from PA.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Mad sorry for this to happen Doom, but aside from jokes, am l a random name? XD.

But ya man, you gotta keep a look out, like in polybrawl, in the end of the tourney, me and will kept seeing ur MK controller on the table and were like wtf, doom can't be leaving these things unattended yo D:

hope u find ur villian, me and minty will give u a group hug at bum's if your going :/

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master
Honestly Max, just call the hotel and ask if you could come in a see the camera footage.

Their telephone number: (732) 627-8483

Max Ketchum

You aren't a random, Hippie. I know who you are and you're active within the community.

I was being abnormally absent minded with the controller that day, lol.

Max Ketchum

No amount of homosexuality from my small Asian friends can account for the $340 in stolen equipment that I've lost. :(

HowaitoKumaSan

Smash Apprentice
My Wii disappeared from this event. It was on the front desk waiting for an extra television to come in so it could be set up and used. I left it there for the entirety of teams and my duration in the singles bracket. After dmbrandon, PRiDE, etc. were knocked out of singles, we went to Red Robin for dinner, planning to come back to the venue before the event ended to pick our things up.

So you left your Wii (which wasn't being used) unattended...while you left the venue to go eat?

You left the venue?

While I feel bad about your loss, you should've taken it with you if it wasn't even being used. This isn't about "trust in the community," this is about common sense. When people steal ****, it is because the opportunity presents itself.

Max Ketchum

I've done it plenty of times before with no problem whatsoever, because nobody is usually grimy enough to do something like that. It could have been someone's Wii that was there but that person was at the venue, just not looking at that particular moment. Still would have happened.

If this were one of my first tournaments or around a new crowd of people, I would have been significantly more apprehensive. I trusted a vast majority of the attendants of the event, though. I acknowledge that I was not careful enough, but my laxness was not without some degree of confidence.

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master

So you left your Wii (which wasn't being used) unattended...while you left the venue to go eat?

You left the venue?

While I feel bad about your loss, you should've taken it with you if it wasn't even being used. This isn't about "trust in the community," this is about common sense. When people steal ****, it is because the opportunity presents itself.
I'm pretty sure everyone knows this....especially the person suffering from the loss. It's time to try and get it back, not rub in how he should be more careful.

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
Honestly Max, just call the hotel and ask if you could come in a see the camera footage.

Their telephone number: (732) 627-8483
Doom: May i see camera footage? Equiptment worth over 3000 dollars was stolen from me this past sunday and id like to identify who it is.

Guy: no problem, blonde kid

*footage begins*

**People walking out of venue, laughing at jokes, VERY FAST BOY WITH FLAG ON HIS BACK WITH THE LETTERS S-H-U-G-O ON IT THROWING WII INTO A BAG. SAYS "YOU'RE TOO SLOW" AND 'COME ON STEP IT UP' AS HE WALKS OUT THE DOOR. can it be?**

Doom: Kelvin was right. He'll definately be ranked above atomsk now. shugo , you're going down

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779

You left the venue?

wow ****, this is a real nice constructive, helpful thing to post in a situation like this. -_-;

I can't help you, as I wasn't there but I want to wish you luck in getting it back. That's horrible about your little bro :(

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
I spoke to the hotel and they do have cameras so I gotta figure out what to do about this.

This may help you for this: When it was about hmmm let's say 5 oclock a group of people left and took their Wii so I went to see if we could hook your wii up to the empty TV but your Wii wasn't there. I thought you had taken it and put it away by then so I didn't say anything.

So going by this your Wii must have been stolen before 5 p.m.

pwiito

Banned via Warnings
Wow.... If you can't find camera footage from on the venue the toruney was hosted, ask if a nearby place had security cameras. I doubt doom would get his wii back ;/, the same thing happened to D3K, someone from videogame club who never showed up there stole his psp, but then when we confronted him, he didn't have anything cause people tend to sell stuff they stole RIGHT AWAY, if a raiser is needed I'm willing to help with what I can :]

I'm sorry doom, ur a really cool guy, idk why people would ever do that

HowaitoKumaSan

Smash Apprentice
wow ****, this is a real nice constructive, helpful thing to post in a situation like this. -_-;
I feel bad, I really do, but I'm not going to sugarcoat anything. I've seen and heard people complain about how "I trusted the community," and "I can't believe something like this could happen." And every single time, it always boils down to that person not watching their stuff. Every. Single. Time.

Yes, it is very sad, but the fact of the matter is that no matter what, you have to keep an eye on your ****. This isn't preschool, this is the real world. Your **** will get gotten as soon as the opportunity shows itself. This doesn't just apply to the OP, this applies to EVERYONE. It doesn't matter if you trust the players at the venue with your life, alwaysalwaysALWAYS keep an eye on your ****. Trust is no excuse to leave your things laying around in plain sight.

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
this reminded me. Does anyone here happen to know if the guy who stole a couple hundred dollars from the midwest melee circuit a while back ever got caught/ if that issue ever gor settled?

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master
Yes, it is very sad, but the fact of the matter is that no matter what, you have to keep an eye on your ****. This isn't preschool, this is the real world. Your **** will get gotten as soon as the opportunity shows itself. This doesn't just apply to the OP, this applies to EVERYONE. It doesn't matter if you trust the players at the venue with your life, alwaysalwaysALWAYS keep an eye on your ****. Trust is no excuse to leave your things laying around in plain sight.
As you said yourself, your post was completely common sense. It doesn't take a genius to realize he made a mistake. The point is now to try and get it back, not dwell on his mistake.

.Marik

is a social misfit
If it's the Silent Beast that plays Yoshi, I'm willing to bet it wasn't him.

He comes on SmashBoards all the time and frequently attends tournaments in his region.

I'm sorry to hear that happened, though.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Max, I can vouch for Vex R. He's a friend of mine from Rutgers who is trying to get into the brawl scene. He would never steal a wii. Just trying to narrow the list down :-/ Hope you find it.
Just posting it here too. Vex R is a friend of mine for about 3 years or a little more. He's a good guy and I again vouch for him wholeheartedly.

Max Ketchum

Okay, Yes!.

Silent Beast doesn't frequently attend stuff. I've seen him at one event ever, and I'm at everything. Of the people I posted, he's extremely low on my suspect list anyway, but I won't clear him just yet. He may have taken it by mistake.

.Marik

is a social misfit
We have already established why it's unlikely that someone took your Wii by mistake.

You interact with Silent Beast at all at these tournaments?

I'm almost positive he didn't commit the deed, just because he has a lot of respect on these Boards and his demeanor tells me the same story.

I understand your position, though. It's more likely that the thief doesn't frequently attend tournaments and this was a once-in-a-blue-moon thing for the individual, because what active SmashBoards or AiB member would risk their reputation and such by stealing a Wii?

Someone probably went there, took the Wii, and we'll never see them again. Or it was a mistake, but I'm still iffy about that.

Max Ketchum

I'm aware of said establishment. What if he brought a Wii, someone jacked his, and he didn't see the marked side of mine and took mine home instead of his because he didn't realize someone had his?

.Marik

is a social misfit
I'm aware of said establishment. What if he brought a Wii, someone jacked his, and he didn't see the marked side of mine and took mine home instead of his because he didn't realize someone had his?
Becuase there is a huge identification tag on the Wii identifying you as the owner?

Max Ketchum

Did you not realize that I said "didn't see the marked side"? The venue closed somewhat early, he could've been in a rush to go.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
I'm sorry, Max. I've been in your position before. When I was much younger I went to a Magic pre-release and had my whole binder stolen even when I left it in the care of someone else >.>

I really believe that we need some sort of security check at every and all tournaments. It may add time onto what the TO has to do already, but to be honest it might add to the amount of setups we see at these things, with people being less reluctant to bring things. Although it would be a sort of...well invasion of privacy we might actually need to start checking bags at these things whenever someone comes in/leaves the venue :-/

Also, a protip to people: When you set your Wii up, take your Wiimote and Sensor Bar with you, they don't need those unless something happens. And although music and stuff is cool, take your SD card, too.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Did you not realize that I said "didn't see the marked side"? The venue closed somewhat early, he could've been in a rush to go.
I'm well aware of that.

But it's not that hard to look at a side of a Nintendo Wii, especially if it's sitting somewhere in your home.

Your Wii was jacked. I'm 90% sure of that.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
****, ain't that some bull**** that went down there. All I can say is see them cameras ASAP and bust the **** that took your ****. gl doom

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
I'm almost positive he didn't commit the deed, just because he has a lot of respect on these Boards and his demeanor tells me the same story.
OOOOK, Marik, I definitely appreciate the comment, but how someone acts on the internet, when that's all you have, will never acquit anyone of stealing someone's Wii. As for the actual issue at hand, neither Scott! nor I went with Wiis, or left with Wiis, which I hope Xionix can attest to, since he gave both of us a ride. Best of luck, Doom.

Top Bottom