• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's ledge options

vato_break

Smash Master
Ledge options are a big aspect in mario metagame in my opinion and it hasn't really been throughly exlored. Mario has many options on the ledge and you want to know how many exactly to use mario to his fullest potential. For example, Mario Can ledgeplank/stall effectively and if used correctly w/intelligence it can almost be unpunishable(or not). For Specific Frame data go here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=219407

Why would you want to ledgeplank/stall?
Planking is hanging on the ledge and reseting your invisibilty frames

Mario's planking is easily A tier stuff. He has all the tools needed for planking successfully. The main reason you would want to plank is if you have a stock/percent lead and you want to bait you opponent in to get some free damage or kill if you somehow intercept them while they try to hit you you can kill them as mario's offstage game is really good. You can also plank if you want to run out the timer. You would not do this if you are behind in stocks or percent because your opponent can just be patient and punish you if you try getting back onstage.

One of the cons of planking is that at some point your going to have to use mario's upB and it come with RCO lag. Recovery CarryOver Lag(or RCO Lag) is lag you receive by sweetspoting the ledge with mario's upB. RCO lag can be canceled with aerials and you can also jump onto the stage with charging fludd and shield. If you don't know how to work around this it can be a major problem because some characters can actually" force" you into rco lag and punish you for the lag you recieve.If they do manage to do this,this will give them free punishments they can also punish you by predicting/reading your attempts in trying to cancel the rco lag. So it's best to try to cancel your rco lag in the safest way possible or try to not sweetspot the ledge with mario all the time or use a smart ledge option!

mario can:
-Get up attack
There are 2 different getup attacks and you should know when to use each one they differ depending on your percent. Under 100% you have a safe quick attack that does 8%, over 100% your getup attack is much slower but, does 10% with more knock back and i beilive it has more invisibility frames. Now when using the getup attack makes sure your opponent isn't shielding because these are easily shieldgrabable, also makes sure your opponent is in your range. The get up attack should not be used against people with range over you UNLESS they are in your range and not shielding.Some characters can punish you very easily.

-Getup Roll
Like the getup attack there are percents that make each roll slightly different. If you are over 100% you have a slower roll and under 100% you have a quicker roll. The quicker roll is obviously safer than the slower one as it's easier to punish than the quicker one.When chooseing this option you want to roll as either a mixup or you think your oponent won't be able to punish. This ledge option is one i would like to avoid agianst characters that space and zone since this is one of the more punishable options.

-Standard get up
This is great if your opponent doesn't predict it. From a get up you can essentially do anything you want.This ledge option the quickest way to get back on stage.This is still very punishable by people who are inrange and space so becareful.

-Ledgehop
From a ledgehop you can do many things such as aerials,fireball,cape and fludd.You can get back on stage with all of these and even retreat back the the ledge too.

Ledgehop Airdodge:From a ledge hop you can airdodge twice but, remember it's punishable if they see it and your still vulnerable to RCO lag when you airdodge.

Ledgeop Aerial: The best aerials you can do from the ledge are nair and dair since every other aerials hitboxes don't cover much range from mario's front. Aerials Cancel RCO lag so if you can get back on stage with an aerial you won't have to worry about RCO lag later.You can also Double aerial from the ledge.

Ledgehop cape: Ledgehop Cape is a excellent mixup,its cancels your momentum so you can get back to the stage very quickly with a fastfall.*You can also ledge hop cape into aerial but, keep in mind your moves can be sheildgrabbed.You can also fludd from a LHC but, this is a bit laggy but, it could push your oponents way if your trying to get back on stage,this also will cancel your rco lag .You can also ledge hop reverse cape, this is better than a regular LHC because this puts your back to your opponents so you can bair them.This just gives more options you can choose to use so thats great.

Ledgehop Fireball: This is good if your oponent is at a distance and want to hit them with a fireball.Ledge Hop fireball goes about the same distance as a Full Hop fireball would.You can also B-reverse fireball,like the reverse cape it has the same aplications but, however, does not stop your momentun.You can also wavebounce a fireball but, the usefulness in that isn't great but, it is decent as it puts you far offstage and can easily lead to baits but, it's risky,still it's another mixup so thats great!.You can also b reverse into a cape to stop momentum.

Ledgehop Fludd Charge: When you land you can cancel charge with sheild

-Ledge Drop
Ledge drops can lead to alot of options but, remember if you are too slow it is possible to be stage spiked.Remember some of these can be just for bait a oponents mistakes so you can get back on stage.

Standard Ledge drop: From this you can jump to regrab the ledge.You can upair to knockpeople away who are at the edge.You can ledge drop capestall and ledge drop reverse cape stall, from these you can double jump to back on stage with either a airdodge,aerial,fludd,cape*good fakeout,or a empty dj. You can ledge drop UpB,makes sure you know the distance of the upB or you can end up landing on the stage.Keep in mind UpB is the major cause of RCO lag which you don't want.You can also ledge drop fludd but, this will kill you.

Walljumps: on a few stages you'll have the ability to wall jump this is just another option to keep in mind.You can walljump aerial which is the most common followup after walljumping.You can walljump cape to safely get back on stage or to regrab the ledge.walljump to edge regrab...ect You can Wall jump fludd but, you will get punished for this.You can also walljump breversed/wave bounce fireball

So thats it,or all that i remember.You can combine alot of these which is good, try to never get back on stage the same way!Mario's ledge options are decent but, they are all punishable so remember..mix it up!!

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKwKO2XB71Q

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
imo u shouldnt ledgedrop aerial onstage when your opponent is directly out of your range, like chars like marth can punish it well ,and if u get hit, u already wasted ur 2nd jump so you might lose a stock that way trying to get back on stage since u got hit out of your ledge drop

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Ledgehop FLUDD charge bypasses RCO and lets you shield or dodge immediately upon landing.

BSP

Smash Legend
Man, mario is pretty limited >100%, and is really limited <100%. These are some nice options, but remember to never get up in the same way twice in a row (you'll probably be punished for it)

JUDGE

Smash Lord
Very good stuff Vato. Just one question. Whats RCO lag? Im noob so yea, idk all these acronyms.
it's the landing lag that occurs when you sweetspot the ledge with upb, giving the opponent enough time for a fsmash or something like that
however you can do an aerial to work around the RCO landing lag

Flameleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valthiel_Malus
-I can recover most of the time xD...also, the range of the +100% raise attack is broken and -100% ledgejump>Nair is pretty good actually, if u keep all the invincibility frames all the way...-

Calebyte

Smash Lord
So I came across Vato's video of this today, and I think this thread is pretty important. Mario's options on the ledge are extremely limited, therefore it's crucial for every Mario main to be able use, abuse, and mix up all the options he DOES have available to him.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Exactly Vato. In fact, it is a little known fact that he is god.
(You know what I meant :p )

lilchrome850

Smash Rookie
Ok. idk how many of you get Ike practice. BUT i play Ryo everyday and me getting on the stage is like near impossible. and Ive tried everything. Any suggestions??

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Actually Mario getting off the ledge is a challenge in itself, as it requires strong prediction and manipulation abilities against a foe that has a lot of range to cut off many options (Snake Ftilt/Utilt/random **** he chucks for example). I myself really like using standard ledge jumps (not ledgehops), as they offer a variety of mixups whether you hold forward or backward to alter the angle of the jump.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Mario getting back on the stage from the ledge is a hassle. This is one of the advantages Ike mains have that they can really pursue without worry. What I tend to do most is mix-up my approaches, but I will never attempt to roll back to the stage, especially against Ike.

In all honesty though you should DI up and avoid the ledge in general against Ike.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
It's as simple as stalling until you can find a safe way back on the stage. Personally, I like to wait for my opponent to leave themselves open near the end of the stage and simply up-b there. It's a quick way to get them away from me, and remove my RCO lag in one. (And it's sexy because it's Up-B)

Calebyte

Smash Lord
^^

I used to do that way to much and it got me punished. I typically do a ledgdrop then a SH aerial, or I just ledgehop over their heads. I don't use regular getup nearly enough. I'll still ledgehop > upB if I see an opening. But yeah, I need to work on my mix ups.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
My favorite ways of getting back on the stage is to ledgedrop > cape to turn away from stage > bair
Sometimes, like Xero, i like to intentionally miss up'b sweetspot to catch opponents off-guard. Getting rid of RCO lag is a big plus too

clowsui

Smash Legend
^^

I used to do that way to much and it got me punished. I typically do a ledgdrop then a SH aerial, or I just ledgehop over their heads. I don't use regular getup nearly enough. I'll still ledgehop > upB if I see an opening. But yeah, I need to work on my mix ups.
looks like you've been learning things and taking them to heart =)

i honestly think mario has a really hard time getting onstage beyond RCO lag. i did an average of 40-60 damage to xero per stock in our MM because of his ledge position; the only times where he didn't suffer an awful position or a lot of damage was on lylat where i couldn't anticipate a lot of the angles he came from due to lack of experience

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Lylat's my place. :D

I've got a new ledgetrick guys... ledgedrop jump Fair... it's legit. (And autocancels sometimes...)

But seriously do it if you wanna make people scream from the ****.

Okay, it's not new. I've honestly done this sparingly for a while.

Top Bottom