• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Powerful, The Pleasurable, The Indestructible... C-bouncing!

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
FOREWORD: This only applies to people who use the Gamecube Controller or the Classic Controller, and I use the latter. Do you use either of them? If not, this thread is more likely than not going to waste your time.

Update: I've put links on some terms like wavebouncing and SDI so that people who don't know what they are can get a lot of info on them.

Introduction

All Lucas mains have probably debated the choice between C-sticking and B-sticking, and why not? Each of those controls have their own benefits and downfalls, and everyone has picked one or the other and went on from there.

But now, with an amazing discovery by Galeon, all Lucas mains now have the chance to have the best of both worlds, by allowing wavebouncing using the c-stick set to smashes: This is the config of a new age: C-BOUNCING!

What it is

This configuration is essentially default controls, with one slight modification to it: Either R, L or Z must be set to specials. Any one will do. You can try doing this with default controls and use B as specials, but you'd have to claw your hands pretty awkwardly and it isn't exactly viable in tournament matches unless you're really steady with your hands.

The reason it can't be the D-pad is because you have to be holding the control stick when you're wavebouncing. And it can't be ABXY because of the claw thing I mentioned.

How it works

Alright. With your configuration set to C-Bouncing, go to training mode, pick Lucas, and go to any stage you want. Now dash forward, jump forward, and then tilt your c-stick back while pressing L, R or Z whichever one you chose for specials earlier at the exact same time. This must be frame perfect and therefore requires a lot of mastering before you can pull this off in serious matches. Congratulations, you just wavebounced a PK Fire!

Whatever you can do with B-sticking, you can do with tilting the c-stick and pressing your specials button at the same time. Wavezap? Hold your control stick left/right, then double jump and tilt your c-stick right/left (respectively) while pressing specials at the exact same time. For me it's really hard to pull off, but I'm sure at least someone out there can do this.

Why it works

Note: All of the following is pure conjecture. I have no basis or proof for this, but I do have some testing. So if I'm wrong, or there's another explanation, eh. I haven't seen it. Besides, all this is theory and has probably no use to you. I'm just putting it for my own entertainment.

Now. While you have many buttons and many things you can assign them to, the game only interprets 9 inputs (well technically it's 21 because of the different directions, but I'm going to simplify things here). These are:

• Smashing your control stick
  • Tilting your control stick (by how much is another matter)
  • Holding your control stick
  • Letting go of your control stick
  • Attack
  • Shield
  • Special
  • Jump
  • Taunt

Brawl interprets these inputs and gives you different outputs, which are all your attacks and smashes and specials and stuff.

Now obviously if you somehow press Jump, Special, Grab (which is shield+attack) and smash your control stick all in one frame, Lucas is not going to launch a PK Fire, pull out an Fsmash and roll forward all at the same time (although that would be awesome). Therefore, there must be a certain priority to these inputs at different situations.

I went to training mode with default controls and set the time to 1/4 (to minimize error and to give me 4 frames to input instead of 1) and pressed a and b at the same time. More often than not, I got a PK Freeze instead of a jab. I smashed the stick forward and pressed a and b at the same time again, and I got a PK Fire. This means that when grounded, specials have more priority than attacks. However, when I was dashing and did the same thing, I got a dash attack more often than a PK Fire. This means that while dashing, attacks have more priority than specials.

(note: when I say "more often than not", i mean that 90% of the time I got this result, and another contrary result was probably because i pressed one button faster than the other. you can do this by pressing jump and attack at the same time. you either jab, or you nair. you never do an empty fullhop/shorthop, indicating that attacks have more priority than jumps on the ground)

So, the important bit: When I was in the air, pressing a + b at the same time yielded a PK Freeze most of the time, meaning that in the air, Specials have more priority than attacks which is the crux of this section.

When you are holding your control stick forward while pressing the C-stick back and pressing specials, your c-stick inputs a Smashed Control Stick backwards, and an attack. Your specials button inputs a specials action, which means you have a Smash < + Attack + Special. Specials have more priority than attack, so that leaves us with a Smash < + Special. Hey, isn't that the same as B-sticking backwards?

If you screw up...

I said before that you have to be frame perfect, and therefore you're guaranteed to make a lot of mistakes at the start. When you try a short-hopped wavebounced PK Fire using the C-Bouncing configuration, here are signs that you're doing it wrong:

• You do a short-hopped Bair (c-stick too early)
  • You do a SHPKF, no wavebounce (c-stick too late)
  • You PKF backwards but don't turn around at all (C-stick too late by 2-3 frames)
  • A full-hopped wavebounced PK Fire (held your Jump button too long)
  • Any combination of the above

When you're trying a wavezap, the list expands.

So now, which one to pick?

We're still left with three choices on which control scheme to pick. To help with this, I'm going to list several pros and cons on each control scheme.

C-sticking:
++ SDI
+ Aerial control
+ Quick smashes
-- Lose the opportunity to wavebounce (affects spacing AND recovery)
- Lose PSI Magnet mindgames (could well be a potential surprise kill)

B-sticking:
++ Wavebouncing
+ Easier thundersliding
+ Mindgames with PSI Magnet
- Have to get used to controlling aerials with only the C-stick
-- Loss of SDI

C-Bouncing:
++ Wavebouncing
++ SDI
+ Aerial Control
++ Is probably the best control scheme for Lucas players
+ Quick smashes
---- Is incredibly hard to get used to
- Requires some steady hands
-- If you get cold hands/nervous at a tournament, you're screwed, you'll make mistakes too often.

All of the control schemes have one plus to them and it seems to me that players who have gotten used to their control schemes should stick to their own schemes because the new control scheme will require a lot of unlearning to do, and removing your old habits, and is also hard to use. C-stickers who don't mind sacrificing L, R or Z should set one of them to specials just so that they have the option of wavebouncing when they need to. B-stickers will probably find this transition the hardest.

However, new Lucas players should all take C-Bouncing. Why? Because if they haven't played Brawl/Melee before at all, they have no habits to get rid of. They have gotten used to nothing and the transition would be exactly the same as learning any other control scheme, just slightly harder.

And that concludes my thread on C-Bouncing.

Note: Right now, I want to know how good this config is in real life. It's excellent, but that's all in theory, and what everyone is interested in is its practicality. If anyone has actual match experience (or better yet, tournament experience) with C-Bouncing, please post your success stories here! Did you 3-stock anyone? Did you survive Ike's Forward Smash while in the same match camping him to infuriation?

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Wow, I really like the layout and COLOURS :3

Anyway, I'm not sure your reason of why it works is correct. I'm going to look into it a little more

Edit: o i c wut you did thar

Alright so here's the deal with the why:

A wavebounce is a turn-around b-reversal (really werid, I know). A turn-around B occurs occurs before the move comes out, whereas the b-reversal comes in the 1-3 frames of the begining of the move. (Your theory on specials seems right BTW) So when you hit the c-stick frame perfect (frame 0) with the b-button, it will have a pivoting effect and do a turn around PK Fire. Afterwards, your direction is inputted from the a-stick, which does the b-reversal to the move and essentially wavebounces the move.

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
But for PK Fire, we don't need to turn around... Turn-around Bs only apply to neutral Bs (and the more notable ones would be Marth's Shield Breaker or Lucario's Aura Sphere, or Link/Tink's bow). Side-Bs can be turned around just by picking the direction with the control/c-stick. Turnaround UpBs and DownBs can be accomplished just by holding the control stick diagonally..

By the way, although B-reversals apply to every single move in the game, different moves have different windows to reverse. PSI Magnet has a much bigger window than PK Fire, and Falcon Punch and Warlock Punch are obviously bigger (because even Sakurai said you can turn around with them after initiating the move).

So essentially this is how the new control works:

Frame 1: Jump >
Frame anywhere before 6: Let go of Jump (shorthop)
Frame as-soon-as-you-can: Smash < + attack + special (PK Fire backwards)
Frame as-soon-as-you-can + 1: holding control stick > (wavebounce)

This is how b-sticking works:

Frame as-soon-as-you-can: < + special (PK Fire backwards)
Frame as-soon-as-you-can + 1: holding control stick > (wavebounce)

But for a wavebounced PK Freeze/any neutral b really it's sort of like this:

Frame as-soon-as-you-can: smash <
Frame as-soon-as-you-can+1: let go of control stick
Frame as-soon-as-you-can+2: b (turnaround pk freeze)
Frame as-soon-as-you-can+3: > (wavebounced pk freeze)

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
It's not the kind of turn-around B you're thinking of.

Edit: Well actually it is, but it's not applied the same you think it is.

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
Well, meh. xD

So anyway, brainstorming for names!

Smashbouncing?
L/R/Z-specials?
C-specials?
C-bouncing?

THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS. :o

Vurky

k
NNID
Vurkyzo
Thanks HailCrest for making this thread and Galeon for finding this :p Works for me. I vote for C-bouncing aswell.

~Nasty~

Smash Lord
I've been playing with this control scheme for awhile now. It's incredibly useful. We tried coming up with a name for it before but it didn't go so well. Some other ideas were Z-specials, and Z-sticking. But C-Bouncing sounds pretty good to me.

One problem i have with the OP is that it gives credit to Galeon. I'm pretty certain he didn't find this. but meh, ok. No big deal.

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
One problem i have with the OP is that it gives credit to Galeon. I'm pretty certain he didn't find this. but meh, ok. No big deal.
He's the one who introduced it to the Lucas boards so until we find someone who claims to have found it earlier/galeon shows us where he got the idea, it stays put. :x

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
If that's so, it's legitly discovered that it's WB'able by Galeon. Nice discovery.

Veril

Frame Savant
dude, I wrote about this like a year ago. Before I wrote about it there was the formerly stickied ATs thread in tactical which mentioned it.

Its not new at all.

I agree you should set specials to z/r/l but manual wavebouncing is better than pseudo b-sticking (what c-bouncing actually is...). Its less likely to get messed up once you've gotten used to it, and its more natural feeling imo. If you play other characters, getting good at wavebouncing will allow you to wavebounce neutral-b moves, which is quite useful and pseudo b-sticking is awful for that.

Also, b-reversing takes place on frame 4, so you need to input the opposite a-stick direction on frame 2 or 3. Not too hard to do at all with a little practice. Seriously, this is a better method than "c-bouncing".

All of Lucas's specials are b-reversable (and thus wavebouncable) except pkt fyi which has also been known approximately forever.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
i feel like a fool asking this, but anyway, for those with normal setup, how do you magnet pull while off stage for recovery, please, tell me the exact control input, i'm nothing without my b-stick

Galeon

Smash Ace
dude, I wrote about this like a year ago. Before I wrote about it there was the formerly stickied ATs thread in tactical which mentioned it.

Its not new at all.

I agree you should set specials to z/r/l but manual wavebouncing is better than pseudo b-sticking (what c-bouncing actually is...). Its less likely to get messed up once you've gotten used to it, and its more natural feeling imo. If you play other characters, getting good at wavebouncing will allow you to wavebounce neutral-b moves, which is quite useful and pseudo b-sticking is awful for that.

Also, b-reversing takes place on frame 4, so you need to input the opposite a-stick direction on frame 2 or 3. Not too hard to do at all with a little practice. Seriously, this is a better method than "c-bouncing".

All of Lucas's specials are b-reversable (and thus wavebouncable) except pkt fyi which has also been known approximately forever.
Confused a little bit. So ur just doing forward-b then back a in 2-3 frames? I keep getting turn-around pk fire like this (trying in slow-mo)

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
It's a b-reversaled turn-around B

So you want to shoot a PK Fire this way: ←
So then you input: →B
Then: ←

IIRC

i feel like a fool asking this, but anyway, for those with normal setup, how do you magnet pull while off stage for recovery, please, tell me the exact control input, i'm nothing without my b-stick
PK Fire to Magnet. There's nothing really special B-sticking does to help this. However, the timing seems a litter stricter to get a full magnet pull, but I'm pretty good at it now.

And as Veril said, I know B-sticking is good for Lucas and all, but I decided to try WBing like anything else. BTW, if you play other characters you should learn manual wavebouncing (Snake's 'Nades :3), but having c-bouncing can never hurt it.

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman

Its not new at all.

It's kind of new to the Lucas boards because not all of us go on to other forums and look around. I saw the thread that Galeon posted, but only after I made this thread so well yeah. I can make it sound all old and not new, but it still deserves a thread.

It's hard for me to learn wavebouncing because I use the classic controller. The positioning of the left control stick is kind of awkward and will be MUCH harder to learn manual wavebouncing, than say, the wiichuk or wiimote console. Can't speak for GC because I've never used it before.

Also, wavebouncing neutral-b is only useful for a few characters.

APC, you need to make sure your momentum is going in the right direction. Make sure you're already travelling towards the stage, then PK Fire away from the stage and get into a magnet ASAP. No wavebouncing/B-sticking needed o_o

If you want some tricksies, you can try going AWAY from the stage, wavebouncing a PK fire, and magnet pull from there.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Knowing how to WB Neutral-B is still pretty important to learn if you care to pick up other characters.

~Nasty~

Smash Lord
APC, in case you need additional help try this:

For example, you get hit off to the right side of Final D. First DI and then JUMP up/towards the stage and shoot pkf to the right (away from the stage, using regular side B). Immediately hit down B and you'll go into a magnet pull. You can also hold B for a longer pull.

I find his method to pull you faster though (and this goes for everyone in case you didn't know this method.. correct me if i'm wrong): After you shoot pkf, immediately hit DIAGONALLY down B (diagonally towards the stage). You'll perform a magnet pull and lucas' magnet will be facing the stage as you pull. It seems to move you a lot faster and could be the difference from you performing a regular magnet pull into snake's Usmash vs. doing this kind of magnet pull to pass right underneath it.

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
APC, in case you need additional help try this:

For example, you get hit off to the right side of Final D. First DI and then JUMP up/towards the stage and shoot pkf to the right (away from the stage, using regular side B). Immediately hit down B and you'll go into a magnet pull. You can also hold B for a longer pull.

I find his method to pull you faster though (and this goes for everyone in case you didn't know this method.. correct me if i'm wrong): After you shoot pkf, immediately hit DIAGONALLY down B (diagonally towards the stage). You'll perform a magnet pull and lucas' magnet will be facing the stage as you pull. It seems to move you a lot faster and could be the difference from you performing a regular magnet pull into snake's Usmash vs. doing this kind of magnet pull to pass right underneath it.
It makes you think he's moving faster because he pulls out his magnet in front of him instead of behind, giving the illusion that he moves further lol :D

In reality they're both the same distance and speed but holding the stick diagonally is still better because it allows you to tether after that.

~Nasty~

Smash Lord
It makes you think he's moving faster because he pulls out his magnet in front of him instead of behind, giving the illusion that he moves further lol :D

In reality they're both the same distance and speed but holding the stick diagonally is still better because it allows you to tether after that.
lol, well thank you for clearing that up for me.

SupItsMe

Smash Rookie
By the way, for B-stickers who like to keep the balance between pressure/spacing going with full hopped wavebounced pk fires -> wavebounced magnet pull, THERE IS A WAY YOU CAN STILL DO THIS. The input is:

Jump (full hopped) ->
However you do your C-bounced Pk fire->
Down B magnet pull in the lower opposite direction that you Pk fired in->
Movement stick IN THE DIRECTION YOU WANT TO MAGNET PULL.

Example:
Running Right ->
Full Hop ->
C-bounced PK Fire ->
Magnet Pull using the bottom left part of the directional pad->
Smash the movement stick RIGHT.

For people who don't understand this, it's this, but with a C-bouncing control scheme. I found this out by toying with the nunchuk a few months ago. Btw, I'm usually lurking smashboards, and never post, so if anyone has any Wavebouncing questions, I'm pretty much an expert on it and I'd be happy to help.

Basically, this post is just to verify that there aren't any things you can't do when you C-bounce that you were able to do when you B-stick. It's just slightly harder and a little less inconvienent, but yields the great SDI benefit along with others. Good Luck Lucas Mains adjusting to this new control setting. I know I'll have a hard time getting used to it.

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
By the way, for B-stickers who like to keep the balance between pressure/spacing going with full hopped wavebounced pk fires -> wavebounced magnet pull, THERE IS A WAY YOU CAN STILL DO THIS. The input is:

Jump (full hopped) ->
However you do your C-bounced Pk fire->
Down B magnet pull ->
Movement stick IN THE DIRECTION YOU WANT TO MAGNET PULL.

Example:
Running Right ->
Full Hop ->
C-bounced PK Fire ->
Magnet Pull ->
Smash the movement stick RIGHT.

For people who don't understand this, it's this, but with a C-bouncing control scheme. I found this out by toying with the nunchuk a few months ago. Btw, I'm usually lurking smashboards, and never post, so if anyone has any Wavebouncing questions, I'm pretty much an expert on it and I'd be happy to help.

Basically, this post is just to verify that there aren't any things you can't do when you C-bounce that you were able to do when you B-stick. It's just slightly harder and a little less inconvienent, but yields the great SDI benefit along with others. Good Luck Lucas Mains adjusting to this new control setting. I know I'll have a hard time getting used to it.
if it's for b-stickers then why'd you say c-bouncing? c-bouncing is a control scheme completely different from b-sticking.

and besides, we already have a full picture of every single magnet pull that can be done.

the only thing that's wrong is #2... i can accomplish that by down-b and then a-stick to the left, not left first then down.

SupItsMe

Smash Rookie
Nonono I probably phrased it wrong then. Lol what I'm saying is there isn't a reason besides being stubborn that all B-stickers should change to C-bouncing. Everything that can be done with B-sticking can be done in a fashion that C-bouncing can accomplish easily. Btw since you have that pretty little picture there, try doing the one wayyy to the left when you're C-bouncing. You won't be able to do that because magnet pulls aren't directed with the C stick anymore. It'd come out as a full hopped C-bounced PK fire. No magnet pull involved. What I'm explaining (well trying to lol) is the reverse magnet pull part.

Edit: That picture displays magnet pulling in a sense that it can only be done WITH the B-stick. Labeling those pictures from left to right as 1-4, it just wouldn't be practical to try #'s 2 and 3 in the midst of a brawl. Its feasible, but not recommended.

Edit 2: Lulz incredibly easy to spike with this control scheme.

abhishekh

Smash Journeyman
waitwait.

I don't know about wavezap, but with the wavebounced pkfire, can't you already do that with the classic controller by setting Y to jump?

That's what I've been doing, except you can't do what you can with this, which is just walk up to the opponent, pk fire then bounce back away from the opponent after PK fire.

Is it really worth adjusting to?

*Sorry if this was already mentioned, e.e I haven't read through the entire original post nor every post after that.

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
Nonono I probably phrased it wrong then. Lol what I'm saying is there isn't a reason besides being stubborn that all B-stickers should change to C-bouncing. Everything that can be done with B-sticking can be done in a fashion that C-bouncing can accomplish easily. Btw since you have that pretty little picture there, try doing the one wayyy to the left when you're C-bouncing. You won't be able to do that because magnet pulls aren't directed with the C stick anymore.
Yes I can, in fact it's one of the first things i accomplished.

It'd come out as a full hopped C-bounced PK fire. No magnet pull involved. What I'm explaining (well trying to lol) is the reverse magnet pull part.
lulz ur doin it rong

dash
jump to the right
c-stick to the left + L/R/Z
c-stick to the bottom left + L/R/Z

all while holding the a-stick to the right

Edit: That picture displays magnet pulling in a sense that it can only be done WITH the B-stick. Labeling those pictures from left to right as 1-4, it just wouldn't be practical to try #'s 2 and 3 in the midst of a brawl. Its feasible, but not recommended.

Edit 2: Lulz incredibly easy to spike with this control scheme.
2 and 3 are done with the a-stick only, therefore you can use it with c-bouncing, c-sticking OR b-sticking LOL.

SupItsMe

Smash Rookie
Ugh. I know you can do that lol I was trying to explain it for other people because most people wouldn't realize you had to use the A-stick to reverse your magnet pull. I meant if people were to try a wavebounced PK fire to a reverse magnet pull WITH your B-sticking controls it wouldn't work. I was trying to give the new C-bouncing inputs. Doing #'s 2 and 3 with C-bouncing just wouldn't be practical. It's like C-sticking a wavebounced PK fire. Blehhh I'm a horrible explainer.

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
it should.

but you're forfeiting the ability to SDI which comes from using the c-stick set to smashes so that's kind of defeating the purpose.

MeLL0W

Smash Apprentice
I'm amazed at this find. =o It's very tricky to pull this off but it really works. It's not that different from a normal control scheme while still allowing benefits from another scheme. Hope this gets used more often. =)

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
You can actually wavebounce with the standard control scheme. I figured this out a really long time ago but I don't use it because I'm not fast enough. If I actually practiced it I might be able to do it. It's like doing a lightning fast dash dance. Go in training mode 1/4th speed. While moving right in the air, press B and smash left, then smash right. FAST. Don't know if anyone's said this yet, I didn't read the whole thread.

Top Bottom