• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Rediscussion: Zelda vs Squirtle

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
I deal with squirtle like a mini Wario. His air speed and attacks are what is going to give you the most trouble. I would try to spend most of the battle on the ground and playing defense. Use your ground moves to space for his air approaches. I'm no expert on this matchup though.

On the ground I wouldn't worry about squirtle too much since he is not notably fast and you can outrange him pretty well.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Yea Squirtle is like Wario it's really annoying.....he plays like a hit and run style mainly and i just try to not get baited into an usmash or something. I really wouldn't try to challenge him in the air ever and bair OoS doesn't work too well here:(.

I do know that dsmash is bad for Squirtle since his recovery is pretty sub par although he can **** Zelda's recovery.

Tbh though I think squirtle is harder than Wario mainly because he has more range and he's tiny so sometimes it's hard even hitting him.

4-6 Squirtle imo.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I don't know much about Zelda, but don't underestimate Squirtle's ground speed, he has things like hydrograps and true hydroplanes to let him zip accorss the stage.

I'm curious to know if watergun could gimp her recovery.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
watch out using dins he can water gun you off stage while you are doing it. dins fire out camped by a water gun. :(

upB I would imagine is susceptible to watergun as well so you'd get pushed further out during your opening vulnerability. More than that once you reapear and have no cntrol of your DI water gun becomes a bigger problem you are pushed out to your death :(

is dash attack a viable anti air in this match up?

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
watch out using dins he can water gun you off stage while you are doing it. dins fire out camped by a water gun. :(

upB I would imagine is susceptible to watergun as well so you'd get pushed further out during your opening vulnerability. More than that once you reapear and have no cntrol of your DI water gun becomes a bigger problem you are pushed out to your death :(

is dash attack a viable anti air in this match up?

I don't know much about Zelda, but don't underestimate Squirtle's ground speed, he has things like hydrograps and true hydroplanes to let him zip accorss the stage.

I'm curious to know if watergun could gimp her recovery.
I don't think her dash attack is a viable anti-air move. Utilt would be better.

Watergun doesn't gimp her recovery, but it does with Din's. Most Squirtle users won't use Watergun anyway, unless you mindlessly spam Din's Fire.

Also, like Dre said, Squirtle is really fast on the ground and it can use that momentum for hydroplaned F-smashes which have Super Armor. I think...

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
if you land all of squirltes kicks down you can hit zelda about 5 times with fairs. zeldas one of the only characters squirlte can fast fall while dair to uptilt.

zelda has to play really defensive with squirtle cause squirtle is the one who has to approach.

AzNfinesse

Smash Journeyman
tbh the best way to deal with squirtle is to wait. don't din's. don't smash. just do your tilts and jabs and wait for an opening to unleash your rage on him. he's unbelievably fast and small, which is trouble for zelda. but he is also the lightest character in the game, which means you can kill him at extremely low percentages.

things to watch out for are:

- aerials (as stated earlier). wait for squirtle to start getting anxious and play a ground game to try and go for a kill. his smash attacks are really laggy and easily punishable (just watch out for that Fsmash).
- water gun can gimp you if you're not careful, much like mario's FLUDD.
- watch that jab lock. it can lock zelda at the early percentages.

i would say 45-55 squirtle's favor just because zelda can kill squirtle extremely early. However, don't take him lightly at all because he can rack up damage like nothing.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Stay ****ing grounded. Thats all I have to say really. As AzN said just be patient. The good thing is Squirtle isnt too reliable at getting kills except for Dthrow and Usmash, and Zelda is pretty good at intercepting his approaches if he gets to predictable.

Will Zelda be approaching more in this MU or squirtle. Whats Squirtle going to camp with? If we have to approach itll be pretty harder but still manageable. Seems close to even to me, Squirtle has a huge mobility and gimping advantage though that could shift it in his favor.

AzNfinesse

Smash Journeyman
Will Zelda be approaching more in this MU or squirtle. Whats Squirtle going to camp with? If we have to approach itll be pretty harder but still manageable. Seems close to even to me, Squirtle has a huge mobility and gimping advantage though that could shift it in his favor.
IMO squirtle should be doing most of the approaching. zelda can for the most part punish every single one of his approaches.

dair approach = ftilt/utilt/usmash
bair appraoch = fsmash/ftilt/jab
forward approach = fsmash/ftilt/jab
wtf approach (by that i mean some random **** he may pull off with all of his other attacks) = ftilt/fsmash/dtilt

the good thing for zelda in this matchup is squirtle has no range in his aerials. only thing he has that has range is his water gun and his smashes. squirtle's smashes are easy to read, so just watch out for that water gun.

squirtle will do alot of fair and bair camping so read those carefully and punish with usmash or fsmash.

don't bother approaching squirtle. wait for him to approach, and punish his short range and lightweighted-ness. do a lot of fair and bair and nair pressure, but don't approach at all. keep him guessing.

Top Bottom