• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness vs. Diddy Kong

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Kev, you ninja'd me. D:

Anyways, the new system we were supposed to be using is a thread dedicated to each MU with links put into the OP of the existing thread. The massive amounts of pages already in the thread make it difficult to find what character you're looking for. The threads let you find the discussion easily. It was agreed upon and I was put in charge of making the threads. So...yeah. ^_^''

I'm bringing the other stuff from the original one over:

Diddy can GR chaingrab Ness, VERY easily.

Expect most diddys to do this across the stage, and then just GR you off of the stage and followup, due to your terrible recovery.

DJCing with your naners is a good mix-up, especially against unaware Diddy mains and it's just good in general for speed.

PKT1 dominates (especially the tail) barrels, and then you can just grab the ledge and react accordingly.

Watch for the diddy hump/kick, it's easy to punish when you predict it, so just watch out for it!

I'm not sure about whether it's Diddy's favor or not, but I've beaten Tim from CO in most of our matches, then again he has 0 Diddy exp and I used to main Ness lol, so he was kind of in the dark match-up wise and I knew everything Ness was capable of.

Most likely Diddy's favor, simply due to the gay stuff he can do to Ness/because of Ness' poor poor poor recovery.
(i use diddy as my secondary)...

make sure to take advantage of the monkey flip kick, there is so much lag after, ness can easily dash grab if you shield the kick. if you shield a banana throw, the banana will most likely bounce up. jump up to catch it and use it to your advantage. DAS nair-nair can also pick up grounded bananas. some banana combos that might work: banana throw > dash grab; banana throw > fsmash (they need to be right next to you obviously; banana thow > dtilt flurry?; banana throw > SH dair?. be creative... and lastly

srsly, nair pwns diddy's up b.

oh yeah, if you see a grounded banana... diddys tend to run and dash attack to pick it up. stand close to it and prepare a shieldgrab or fsmash or something :)
I'd also watch the CG very carefully and also watch GR. I'm pretty sure Diddy can GR into an Fsmash or Dsmash.

Watch it when they have bananas too, if they're close enough (from what a Diddy has done to me) they'll throw one at you and then you'll either start to trip and they'll grab you. It kind of suuuuucks but it can be easy to avoid.

Be smart, using nair accordingly, and make sure if you have the space to use PKT 1 and watch out when you recover.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Nair or fair his bananas. That's how I usually deal with him. With his bananas around, I don't think his GR is much of a problem. You can either get rid of his bananas or be creative and learn how to use them against him.

orange/xd

Smash Ace
Nair or fair his bananas. That's how I usually deal with him. With his bananas around, I don't think his GR is much of a problem. You can either get rid of his bananas or be creative and learn how to use them against him.
Even if you know how to use bananas against him, 99% of the time the Diddy will know better than you, and his extremely better glide tosses make it almost impossible in my opinion.

45:55

Uffe

Smash Hero
Diddy Kong has a glide toss, but you can still grab his bananas when thrown at you anyway. And what good are bananas if you're not on the ground? ;)

xoxokev

Smash Lord
Even if you know how to use bananas against him, 99% of the time the Diddy will know better than you, and his extremely better glide tosses make it almost impossible in my opinion.

45:55
not if you secretly main diddy and know how to use them better ;)

oOTjayOo

Smash Apprentice
I like Aireal Pk Fire while fighting Diddy. I can do 2 in the air. It goes a bit smoother with less landing lag if you use B sticked Pk fire.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
not trying to be mean, but isn't that the point of the match up discussion thread?

edit: oh i see
Man this made me lol.:laugh:

Anyways, as i said in the other thread, Ness actually is able to control bananas fairly easy himself,(not as easy as diddy though), his Nair and fair grabs them easily. We are in the air alot so tripping is less of an issue to us as well.
PKT is easy to gimp him with, and we can DJC again, which makes ness have incredible combos of his own when holding a banana. Ness can manage well vs Diddy.
We have the tools to do well in the match-up but diddy still has crazy strings, and combos. He has legit setups for kills also. Plus more general experiewnce with nanners. Peanuts can gimps us also and it is really stupid when it happens.

Like i said 55-45 Diddy.

Bartolon

Smash Lord
Lets get my post from the MU discussion over here =O

This is surely a 55-45 matchup in diddy's favour no more no less.

Ness has to be a lot in the air. Ness can catch the bananas pretty easily and he has many tricks for it to pick them up. Ness his nair screws diddy up a lot same for ness his dair.. IF you space it well. You have to be careful when your on the ground though because diddy his ground game is superior to ours. When diddy is offstage stay a lil campy and use PKT to juggle him. Diddy has not too many options offstage so you can use some variety in your offstage game. Fair and nair are really good offstage vs diddy so use them!

Diddy can combo you when you get hit by a banana. So try to catch or avoid the bananas at all cost. Diddy also has some options for trying to gimp Ness. Try to recover smart and stall in the air with psi magnet, and after that a rising arial for example.

Pro's :

Ness his nair.
Gimping diddy with PKT.
Catching the banana's is not too hard.

Con's:

Popgun can be irritating sometimes and can get you out of your arial game when you don't look out.
Diddy his nana combo's
Diddy has some neat tricks to gimp Ness.

That's it for now =O

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
not if you secretly main diddy and know how to use them better ;)
I second this since diddy is my 2nd :3. anyways, theres two options with the bananas really. One is to throw them off the stage like many suggested. But this can be pointless, since
1. It leaves you open if you don't space correctly and don't throw the banana at the right time, and
2. The diddy can pull out another one anyway.

This leaves you with 2 more choices. If you don't feel like being too technical, or want to have to worry about the bananas, easiest thing is to throw them UP. This is because throwing it up causes the banana's to last longer, and also go out of view. If you go aggressive after throwing the banana up, and the diddy forgets all about it, he will most likely get hit by it while it is coming back down.

Another option is to keep control of it. Since ness is mainly an aerial character anyway, just hold on to the banana, and fight with it. This way
1. the diddy can't pull out another banana
2. If you get hit, or he grabs you, there is a chance the banana will slip out and trip him
3. If the diddy leaves an opening, you can easily throw the banana and follow up with another grab.

Diddy vs. Ness is a very hard match up. Diddy has good aerial and ground game just like MK, and his speed is not comparable to ness's. the best thing you can do is to stay in the air just like air camping MKs do.

gimping is the easiest way to kill diddy. If you gimp a diddy off stage, and it is quite a distance, it is a little safe to go after him. This is because if you hit diddy while he is charging his up-B, the next time he uses it without touching the ground, he will move in the direction he was attacked. So if you merely just fair him while he is charging his up-B, he is pretty much screwed.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Guess I'll add my input.

Disclaimer: The following will mainly consist of theorycrafting and minimal WiFi experience. Please feel free to refute any arguments presented.

Now:

I think this is an interesting MU. Ness has complete control of the air for the most part, while Diddy has control over the ground. You want to keep the bananas away from Diddy so his ground game is hurt. Bananas can't be used to control the stage like Diddy can use them however. His moveset is designed to pick them up easily and quickly. So what you want to do is keep them away from him by either holding onto them, or throwing them in a place you plan on defending. You can also throw them into the air. You want to keep them in play, however, so he can't take out more.

Basically, you want to stay in the air where you can beat Diddy, and stay off the ground where he beats you. Learn to catch bananas and how to deal with banana pressure if you get into your shield. I'm guessing jumping OOS would be the best idea.

As far as killing goes, it's pretty even. As long as you avoid his banana set ups he'll take a long time to kill you. It can also be hard for you to kill him, however, since he's relatively safe from our kill moves while on the ground. Luckily, he's gimpable. Tailwhipping is your friend here.

I'd say it's Diddy's advantage, probably only a slight one since he has more control. The advantage shifts more to even or Ness's advantage based on stage.

Top Bottom