• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Animation & Gaming Ohio + GPX Gaming, Cincinatti, OH $500 SSBM

Moadib_GPX

Smash Apprentice
What: A&GO + GPX Gaming Events
Who: GPX Gaming Tournament Administration
Where: Holiday Inn East Gate
When: March 12 - 14 2010
Why: GPX is Legitimizing This Events Tournaments and bringing the HYPE....Because we can...

Plank's Thread for A&GO

**********A&GO & GPX**********

Schedules are going to be adjusted to accomodate appropriate tourneys for Smash and make sure each event is covered properly and that the bulk of the systems are not always in tourney mode.

Fighter Payouts:
70/20/10

Smash Payouts:
50/25/15/5/5

Shooter Payouts:
70/20/10

DDR Payouts:
50/25/15/5/5

Pots $5 Entry
Street Fighter IV
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
Tekken 6
SSF2T HDR
King of Fighters XII
BlazBlue
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Super Smash Bros. Melee

Pot $20 / Team
Street Fighter IV: Wasara Style 3v3

Non SRK Tourneys:
Pot $5 (per team member for teams)
Halo 3
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

General Rules:

2/3 Rounds (T6 3/5 - Smash 4 Stocks)
2/3 Matches
Double Elimination
3/5 Winners/Losers Finals/Grand Finals

**********March 12-14**********

Tourney Schedule:

Friday - Bragging Rights Tourneys - No Pots - Sponsored Prizes Only (TBA)

Casuals All Day!

Saturday - Pot Tourneys

Smash Brawl 12:00 PM

Sunday - Melee

12:00 PM Melee

please Check Planks thread!

For more information please visit the A And G Ohio website or GPX Gaming for more information

EDIT: We decided to make some changes and we spoke with the convention - no house cut is going to A&GO - the entire pot goes to the players.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I will probably be coming to this.

Guys, you need to realize you can't just reschedule something because there is some other tournament 400 miles away. Be realistic, but more importantly, this is part of some convention, and they are not going to be rescheduling an entire convention because one game within the convention has a tournament 3-4 people want to go to 400 miles away.

Holding a tournament on any date doesn't mean there are no other tournaments on that date.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
I will probably be coming to this.

Guys, you need to realize you can't just reschedule something because there is some other tournament 400 miles away. Be realistic, but more importantly, this is part of some convention, and they are not going to be rescheduling an entire convention because one game within the convention has a tournament 3-4 people want to go to 400 miles away.

Holding a tournament on any date doesn't mean there are no other tournaments on that date.
But its NKv3!

:(

Holms

Smash Ace
Thing is we've been raising money for a pot bonus specifically to get people like M2K to come to NKv3...*sighs*

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
the fact that these are both at conventions makes it pretty difficult.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
holms: you want to raise all that extra money...to give to one person when you could take that same money, spread it to many more positions (I'd bet a lot more competition would come if you said that 13th place each got $20, 9th each got $30, etc), and attract like 20X the number of people then if everyone thinks all the money is going to one person (in which case you add +1 attendance, vs +20, and that +20 would in turn make the first place prize go up, so its really just win-win for everyone instead of win-win for the top 3).

The point though is that it is completely unreasonable for anyone to assume people will plan a tournament based on another tournament 400 miles away. Especially when in this case
-This appears to be a convention that will take place regardless of the existence of a Brawl tournament
-This is not suppose to be some major event. You are essentially saying a tournament meant to attract players in Ohio shouldn't happen because you are holding a tournament...3 states away.

When you announce a tournament at best assume no one else in the same state will hold one on the same day. At best. The issue here though isn't even about that, its about the fact that this is a convention that id dedicated to multiple games/types of people, and they can't reschedule something that is already I'm sure booked because one person or a small group of people in one specific community want to be able to do two different things instead of choosing between them.

More importantly this hardly looks like it will even be a regional event. $500 in prizes is what we average here at most of our Ohio tournaments.

Moadib_GPX

Smash Apprentice
Holding tournaments and conventions in this country is almost impossible to not run against something else in the US. there are so many events (over 5400) that are pertinent to Anime, Gaming in general - from conventions, to tournaments to simple day events.

We hope NKv3 great success, we in Ohio also have people going to Final Round on the same weekend to support that event and GPX will have sponsored players there, its a tough weekend with a lot going on.

There are also events in Milwaukee, Missouri and a 20,000 person comic convention in Orlando FL. on the same weekend.

We hope that the locals in Cincinnati come to A&G Ohio and come to have fun, we would love for M2K to come to our event, we know he lives in Ohio. The $500 is a bonus for the entire pot. and we will be paying out to top 5 (tied for 5th and 6th will be determined).

We want people and competitive players to experience a full size convention like A&GO, come play, win and go have a blast with everything else going on in the show.

We hope to see Ohio come out and support your scene. We want to work on building the community there!

The rulesets can be found on the www.gpxgaming.net website

ShippoFoxFire

Smash Lord
ill be here

no koast is bigger but i have my reasons for coming here instead

btw you have ssbm in your title but it's brawl lolz.

will there be teams too?

edit - this is m2k

sixpod

Smash Rookie
I will be there, I am in the musical as well as the Wrestling event on Friday. So it is bound to be a good weekend!
Great to hear people wanting to come out and support the scene.

sixpod

Smash Rookie
*sorry for double post*
I have had a bunch of people emailing me over on meetagamer.com and I am trying to get their butts onto smash boards since that's why they are messaging me.

and Kel which store do you work at?

sixpod

Smash Rookie
The $500 is a bonus for the entire pot. and we will be paying out to top 5.

the preliminary rounds in these type of titles (I.E, Naruto:GNT4, Smash Bros, BattleStadium D.O.N.) will be with 4 players instead of 2 and count as single elimination. We do it this way at he request of the event - we call this “Scrub Elimination” We can run these strictly 1v1 as well with normal double elimination rules.

*From Secondary through to Finals they are held as Double Elimination (unless otherwise requested by the event to be held in double elimination from opening to finals)

Eliminated players from Secondary through Semi-Finals go into the Wildcard Ladder where they will be held as Single Elimination Wild Card Matches (Losers Bracket).

In Summary you need to win 2 rounds in Pre-lims (1 Match = best 2 out of 3 rounds). you have to win 4 rounds (2 matches) in Secondaries and above. If you lose, you go to the Wildcard/Losers Category, and you have to win 2 rounds (1 match) against another Wildcard, contender. The #1 Wildcard will get an opportunity against the losing Finalist. Winner of that match faces the Ladder Champion (the person that has not lost any matches at this point). The #1 Wildcard will need to beat the Ladder Champion in a 3/5 match to reset to Grand Finals or the Ladder Champion wins the tournament becoming Grand Champion.

4 Tiers of Winners
1st Place Grand Champion
2nd Place Champion (Winner between Wildcard Champion and Losing Finalist, can also be the Ladder Champion if he loses to whoever returns from the Losers bracket)
3rd Place Champion (Losing Finalist)
Wildcard Champion (Wildcard Finalist) - This Finalist can potentially also be the 2nd Place Champion

*Special Rules and exceptions apply to Naruto and Smash Bros.
*Smash bros does not have rounds, it has “Stock” the Stock is always 4.
*Secondary Rounds through Semi-Finals are 1v1 & 2/3 matches.
*Finals (Winners/Losers Bracket) and Grand Finals are 2/3 matches.

*Items “Off & None”
*Smash Ball “Off”
*No Stalling
*MetaKnight’s Infinite Cape Glitch is not allowed

Stages are selected by player, each picks one for their match, 3rd is a random - no stage chosen more then once per set.

* Counter picks allowable

Night-san

Smash Journeyman
Hell yeah! My friends and I have been planning on going to A&G anyways; this is a huge bonus for me, a big-paying Brawl tourney! Of couse, I'll probably be flattened, since according to A&G M2K is attending... but it'd even be awesome to watch him playing. And to think if I managed to get into a match with him... o-o
Now I'm gonna get on my parents about this, because though it's a "good chance" that I can go, there's no guarentee yet, which isn't something I'll stand for. xD

sixpod

Smash Rookie
I was very excited to hear him say that he was coming to A&G! amazing indeed, we are very grateful

sixpod

Smash Rookie
The host of the convention has taken his split of the pot off of this tournament.
so that means more $$ for winners!

and clowsui whats your tourney?

clowsui

Smash Legend
it's at arcade legends

if springfield isn't coming then i probably won't do it, i'm aiming it for it to be a large regional event

i'll still do it at the end of the month though

sixpod

Smash Rookie
I see. Well I actually still need to visit there sometime soon. We stopped by once and they were not open yet.

Moadib_GPX

Smash Apprentice
All info corrected and schedule updated.

Let me chime in to answer your questions.

This is a full scale convention - Main Events, Concerts, Panels, Gaming, Arcades, Cosplay events...A Wrestling Ring, Yes a Full Sized Ring - The Works...while in a perfect we would love nothing better to help NKV, our dates are the same and it is too difficult in this day and age to work around every event.

We would love nothing more to help NKV in KCity, but we are running this event.

We were originally doing an SFIV Bonus with the DDR Bonus. I spoke with M2K at an event in Florida and we made the change to make sure we are covering the budding Smash community in Ohio. NKV will have a good solid amount of players we will have a lot of our locals.

I hope you guys do not argue over this as I see some of you are defending the common sense aspect of requesting someone to move their date.

I would never ask NKV to move his date simply because I think his event is smaller and is a tournament as I would not expect them to assume to tell us to move our entire convention.

We will do our best to help promote them as much as we do our own event.

On a side Note: Pound 4 is going fantastically well, but you guys will hear about M2K and Jman's issues soon if its not already on the boards...O_O

clowsui

Smash Legend
given your support for the smash community i will likely move my event to the end of the month in the name of supporting fellow TOs :)

also jman is a ****** for not waking up

Moadib_GPX

Smash Apprentice
given your support for the smash community i will likely move my event to the end of the month in the name of supporting fellow TOs :)

also jman is a ****** for not waking up
Supposedly their keys were misplaced and at the front desk..O_O

Oh snap your moving your event date? Well, if you need anything at all, CRT's, consoles, games - please let us know i'll be more than happy to help provide them. you should also come up to A&GO and promote there to the Ohio community. hit me up on skype camacho.manny

we can chat and I can grab anyone here at Pound if you want to talk.

sixpod

Smash Rookie
Yeah that really does suck about Jman, but rules are rules.
and Dude that is awesome of you. *much love* I'll help you the best I can for your event as well*

BTW the BRAWL tourney is on SUNDAY March 14th!! So mark it on your calenders, because it is on!!
So come enjoy the weekend and finish out the week with a brawl!

Kel

Smash Master
So the AIG tournament for Brawl is on Sunday now?

I would also recommend you guys use the Smash Back-Room's recommended rule set once you hit brackets. There is also a program called Tio that pretty much runs the tournament for you. All you have to do is plug and chug numbers.

I'd like Sui to move his tournament so I can go to this DDR tournament too =)

Moadib_GPX

Smash Apprentice
So the AIG tournament for Brawl is on Sunday now?

I would also recommend you guys use the Smash Back-Room's recommended rule set once you hit brackets. There is also a program called Tio that pretty much runs the tournament for you. All you have to do is plug and chug numbers.

I'd like Sui to move his tournament so I can go to this DDR tournament too =)
for Smash we are using TIO for everything else we are using Tonamento.com

^_^

sixpod

Smash Rookie
Manny runs the tourneys (well him and his staff) I just organize the shows XD I play game, do not like to run em. I bring GPX in because they are boss at what they do and are very cool people to have around as well.
But yes TIO and Tonamento is used all times.
Thanks to everyone in advance btw. Looks like its going to be a great weekend

Top Bottom