• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BengalsRZ's Random Helpful Notes *Last Updated 8/18/2010*

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I have a ton of these little things I do that work really well for me, yet nobody else seems to be doing. If you read through this you'll probably find at least a few things you didn't know or never cared to implement into your game. I'll be updating this sporadically whenever I think of some more little things, I know there are a bunch more, but these are the ones that came to me:

12/22/09
-If you are playing someone who tends to SDI out of your standard DB combo, use the third up hit instead of the standard third hit to keep them in range for your 4th strike.

-If you are on a stage with a low ceiling, or are near the center of the stage and have a better chance of killing vertically, use reverse DS OoS rather than a standard DS. The back of DS's hitbox has strong vertical knockback and can kill vertically at surprisingly early percents.

-Fthrow to pivot grab at low-mid percents is awesome considering how many people like to airdodge after you dash at them. Not a lot of Marths do this for some reason. It usually puts you in a situation where you can dthrow or bthrow your opponent offstage also.

-If you dtilt someone extremely close to you or someone that is landing on you, theres a good chance they will end up behind you so be ready to pivot dtilt or B-reversal DB.

-If you need to create some extra breathing room after using a retreating aerial, craq walking followed by a pivot boost backwards covers a lot of ground extremely fast. Interrupt that with a turnaround jab, dtilt, or ftilt if you need to.

-You may notice that after fastfalling an aerial on a platform and trying to drop through with another aerial, you end up using a smash, jab, or dash attack instead. To prevent this, walk at least one step backwards or forwards after landing on the platform (right before you drop through it).

-I think I learned this one from Junk, but it's extremely helpful and for some reason almost nobody does it. Use the third down DB hit to create space between you and your opponent if you connect with their shield or they are spot dodging all of the hits. Marth takes a huge step backwards after that third DB hit, making it harder to be punished. In some cases your opponent will miscalculate how far away you are and punish with a short range move or a grab because they don't know about this little quirk.

-Use jab for platform pressure occasionally. Jab is Marth's only ground option that can attack someone on a platform twice in a short period of time. Tipped jabs have good shield pushback and can often knock people off platforms, thus setting up jab locks and what not.

-If you hit a shield with SB and it doesn't break, SPAM DANCING BLADE. DBs only real flaw is the fact that it is unsafe on block. When you have your opponent in a situation where they are afraid to shield, and actually can't block the entire string without it shield poking, there is no reason to not be spamming DB.

-If you barely survive a vertical kill move, shield breaker bounce back down at least every once in a while. It's a great option and is very hard to predict/punish. It's also not very well known since few people are actually using it.

-True pivots are useful for multiple reasons. They expand your approach options by allowing you to use smashes, pivot grabs, or really anything as approaches. That being said they aren't overly safe and should be used sparingly. Dashing and true pivoting backwards is solid way of baiting reactions.

-DIing horizontal kill moves down is usually considered the opposite of what you should do, but if you are on one end of the stage and are about to get hit across it (i.e you are standing on the right edge, and your opponent knocks you horizontally to the left), DI down and tech. Or at least hit into the stage and immediately double jump, as this also decreases momentum a lot.

1/21/2010

-Don't always crouch before you dtilt, it telegraphs it and makes it easy to react to. If you tilt down slightly, you can let out a dtilt from a standing position.

-Try ftilting, fairing, or nairing out of a crouch. When you are crouched people like to assume you will dtilt and often jump to get around it, ftilt and nair **** this. One thing I love to do is crouch when my opponent is hanging on the ledge, it usually forces a ledge jump or ledge hop which i can punish with one of the options i mentioned above.

-Everything is safe on block when your opponent is on the edge of the stage because they'll tumble right off. That's probably the best time to just throw out a kill move and hope for the best. This of course is a bad idea if you are playing someone who likes to spot dodge or has a really good roll.

-In a scenario where your opponent is offstage trying to recover, you are hanging onto the ledge, and they have the option of going for the ledge straight up or trying to actually land on the stage try this: ledge jump > fastfall ledge grab. When you ledge jump, people usually just go for the ledge assuming you will land on the stage, and that would of course give you an easy edgehog. They have to be a second or two away from actually attempting to use their up B when you ledge jump. This is a nice little mix up to throw in once every few matches.

8/18/10

-Frame 5 of Marth's jump is a dead frame (every character has a dead frame on the last frame of their jump). Anything you input on this frame is ignored, and if you input a bair or fair on this frame, Marth will jump backwards or forwards respectively. This tends to happen to people who aren't quick enough with their aerials. To avoid this, a lot of people claw. I personally don't find that comfortable, so what I do is just tap jump and input a c-stick aerial at the same time. It allows you to automatically short hop, completely avoids the dead frame, and insures that you will unleash the aerial on the first possible frame. This doesn't work for uair and obviously nair, and doing it with dair just isn't a good idea because sh dair is horrible, lol.

-Full jump Dair OoS is AMAZING. It is hands down, Marth's best tool for dealing crossups because it covers both sides of you and directly under you with a huge arc. It also allows for a bunch of mixups afterwards including first hit of nair and double jump fair.

-Here is a very easy yet extremely effective conditioning trick that I believe Shaya has mentioned before: empty SH -> FF -> dash grab. Its simple, make them attempt to shield a last second ff fair, and instead go in for the easy grab.

-Another one I'm going to credit to Shaya. He calls it "hairing." If you jump at the very edge of a stage or platform, the jump only takes one frame. You'll know you're doing it right because he will automatically full jump rather than short hop. This is great for quick edgeguards or a run-away bair. Things of that nature.

-Forced someone to up B onto the stage because you were hogging the ledge? Do NOT just ledge hop fair/nair or get on the stage and grab. Ledge hop over them and bair/nair. Sending them back offstage maximizes your positional advantage and allows you the best opportunity for more damage + an early kill.

-Remember that shield breaker has the most range of any move you have. It is not a gimmick move and is more than just a shield breaking tool or a "mindgame" device. It kind of sucks on the ground (unless you're landing with it), but in the air it is really amazing. A huge asset to my game. When you use it in the air, Marth narrows his hurtbox for a moment, which allows you to avoid your opponents aerial/anti-air attack and fire back with a quick long ranged counter. I seriously love this move.
---------------------------

That's all for now, if any of these need further explaining let me know.

Hope these help.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Quite good bengals, quite good indeed.

The last point about DI'n down horizontal kill moves to tech has been a recent debate point between a couple of peoples recently.
Technically I cannot replicate it when a move is at kill percents. But bleghhh.

Duskshadow

Smash Apprentice
Excellent thread, and I can't wait to read more of these notes. This will definitely help me improve my Marth's metagame.

Player-3

Smash Hero
dthrow pivot grab is good too at low/mid %s

just sayin

nice thread

didnt know db3 down stepped back, thats useful

Nic64

Smash Lord
-Fthrow to pivot grab at low-mid percents is awesome considering how many people like to airdodge after you dash at them. Not a lot of Marths do this for some reason. It usually puts you in a situation where you can dthrow or bthrow your opponent offstage also.
Probably because they could simply hit you out of it. This is more of a mid/late game mixup to me where you can try it ::after:: you've observed that they like to air dodge.

-If you hit a shield with SB and it doesn't break, SPAM DANCING BLADE. DBs only real flaw is the fact that it is unsafe on block. When you have your opponent in a situation where they are afraid to shield, and actually can't block the entire string without it shield poking, there is no reason to not be spamming DB.
Some characters can also get a pretty good frame advantage on you by rolling behind you if they expect it, and some can punish in between hits if they can bait you into misspacing it.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Quite good bengals, quite good indeed.

The last point about DI'n down horizontal kill moves to tech has been a recent debate point between a couple of peoples recently.
Technically I cannot replicate it when a move is at kill percents. But bleghhh.
Thanks, and yea I tend to only DI down if I know I can't survive it with standard DI. If I think I'll be able to survive the hit by DIing normally, I'll almost always just do it that way, since your opponent is very far away from the edge and you can recover fairly easily.

Probably because they could simply hit you out of it. This is more of a mid/late game mixup to me where you can try it ::after:: you've observed that they like to air dodge.
Agreed.

Some characters can also get a pretty good frame advantage on you by rolling behind you if they expect it, and some can punish in between hits if they can bait you into misspacing it.
Only MK and Lucario should get any frame advantage from rolling behind a DB1, and even then it's hardly significant. The only time people will be rolling behind DB2,3, or 4 is OoS, and they won't be doing that with a diminished shield.

As for baiting you into misspacing it... eh, thats not something that should be happening often if you're somewhat careful with it.

nice thread bengalsrz

idk how the down version of Db looks like though lol
Thanks, and the third Down DB hit is the one where he does a backhanded thrust, then pivots off his back foot to retreat. It's awesome. I use it at 0:39 in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSakvdalTIY

∫unk

Smash Master
the 3rd db down is indeed a junk original :]

good thread in regards to SDI and the db most players can just hold away (what you're describing is if they hold or SDI up) in which case it's better to do the green version

the reverse ds to punish holding up is extremely smart reminds me of a trick japanese ddds do vs snakes that are pre-DIing the d-tilt after the cg

green version in general is safe and the better option to do near the ledge cause of ledge grab lag (unless you think the last hits are going to shield poke and the move is fresh and the opponent as a decently high percent, in which case it can kill)

Steel_Samurai

Smash Journeyman
Great thread, I love learning little things like these
I've been using db3 down version on block, but I just thought it had less lag, not that it took a step back
interesting

the reverse ds to punish holding up is extremely smart reminds me of a trick japanese ddds do vs snakes that are pre-DIing the d-tilt after the cg
what would this be?:laugh:
I second D3 so this would be awesome to know

Albert.

Smash Master
-Don't always crouch before you dtilt, it telegraphs it and makes it easy to react to. If you tilt down slightly, you can let out a dtilt from a standing position.

THIS A THOUSAND TIMESSS!!!!!!!@@#@#!@@$%#$!!!!!!!!!!!!

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, I learned quite a bit from those.

Some tricks that I use:

-When not in danger of being edgehogged, I use the double jump + dancing blade recovery to avoid getting the extra landing lag from the up B glitch.

-I use bair with my double jump to open up more landing options. For example, if character X is standing in the center of FD, and I'm right above them, I'll start DIing away (so that I face them), then when I'm about level with their head, they might be able to shield grab my fair or predict an air dodge, or I could double jump away and probably get the the ledge, or maybe just DJ and don't DI and then land with a fair or air dodge close to the ledge. However, another option is to DI back into the stage and bair immediately, then, if they tried to punish not using my double jump or did a safe attack anticipating me going for the ledge, I could land with enough time to possibly land with a fair/air dodge mixup.

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
-Try ftilting, fairing, or nairing out of a crouch. When you are crouched people like to assume you will dtilt and often jump to get around it, ftilt and nair **** this. One thing I love to do is crouch when my opponent is hanging on the ledge, it usually forces a ledge jump or ledge hop which i can punish with one of the options i mentioned above.

WOW. I never thought of this xD
way to think outside of the box!

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
May I add something?

Nobody uses DI/AD friendly stuff after fthrow as much as they should. Running DB/tippered ftilt after fthrow is usually guaranteed beyond the percents of the normal tipper fsmash (aka the usual 0-6% mark), regardless of DI. and DB pretty much is a no-brainer against dodging. Both do considerable damage/refresh/put your opponent on the spot in a compromising place offstage, ftilt especially tends to send them at a nice straight angle, and the arc it produces ***** whichever direction they SDI after the fthrow, it's only really a matter of reading.

Oh and I don't know why, but tipper bair seems to cover a bajillion options if your opponent tries to get back up from the ledge, that specific motion catches all the options except like roll in order of speed to execute usually.

Edit: whoops, these are notes from a specific player, carry on.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
-Forced someone to up B onto the stage because you were hogging the ledge? Do NOT just ledge hop fair/nair or get on the stage and grab. Ledge hop over them and bair/nair. Sending them back offstage maximizes your positional advantage and allows you the best opportunity for more damage + an early kill.
Alternatively, you ledgehop > FF nair1 > w/e move that sends your opponent back (fsmash/bair/DS) for additional damage.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Good deal, I like the new tips. Most of it I knew, but there is some new stuff there.

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
A few tips:

-You can buffer a dtilt, even a reverse dtilt if you input it by not holding the joystick down all of the way (the same technique you use to dtilt without crouching). The reverse dtilt is a bit difficult, but you definitely can buffer it, and you get extra cool points if you manage to pull it off.

-Bair is great for double jump reads when your opponent is coming back to the stage due to the massive vertical hitbox.

-Clawing is really, really good for Marth, and it's not like you can't switch back to your normal grip mid-match.

ChibixD

Smash Apprentice
- On the ledge you can DB1 to change your direction and double jump bair to try hit your oponent just like D3 or Olimar Uair
-Full hop rising Fair to retrating shield breaker is awesome, and with full hop its pretty easy to space it
-Short hop shieldbreaker on battlefield is a lot usefull, because they usually shield thinking in your awesome nair
-Fthrow, walk, wait the airdodge, then fsmash, this is good because marth is one of the fastest characters walking

Hala_Back

Smash Rookie
Not sure if anyone said anything. But actually when I use the Shield Breaker as a recovery move, I tend to get punished like a Bish. and since you've been launched high in the first place to be able to use that move as a recovery move, damage is likely high. Easy kill. Be careful with this one is all I can say. Can be a very good tactic. Just a lot of frames of helplessness after you release.

arcane9211

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if anyone said anything. But actually when I use the Shield Breaker as a recovery move, I tend to get punished like a Bish. and since you've been launched high in the first place to be able to use that move as a recovery move, damage is likely high. Easy kill. Be careful with this one is all I can say. Can be a very good tactic. Just a lot of frames of helplessness after you release.
It pushes you to the sides quickly so when you're high up it's great in place of just slowly falling down. Obviously you're going to want to save your jump for if your opponent is below you when you get closer to the ground.

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Ok heres another useful tip which i found out a few months back, maybe alot of u know bcuz were Marth mains lol, anyway.

If you go into training mode, and pick a stage with a ledge (Basically Any Stage). If you use your UPB to grab the ledge, you will notice that when you jump back on stage from the ledge or you drop off the ledge and use your 2nd jump to get back on, you will notice there will be like 10 frames of landing lag, which can easily be punished, when you use UPB to grab the ledge, always keep in mind that when you land you can easily be punished (by some characters). If your below 100%, its usually best wait for ur opponent to get the right distance away and just get up normally, using forward on the control stick. If your above 100% your gonna have to mix it up and try get back on the edge some way, but against a good character and good opponent, your 90% likely to get punished.

Hope that helps and is understandable.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
5 post of useless info that virtually every marth main knows. Besides that ish, good job Bengals.

Top Bottom