• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PSA/BrawlBox: Kari - V3 is out :O

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
This is a project I have been working on since the very first day PSA was released, and it is finally done. After countless changes, fixes, and balancing, I present to you Kari. I feel that describing her (I plan to change the voice to a female voice as soon as sound effects can be properly changed) wouldn't really work very well in this case, so I plan to record a moveset video and a practice video ASAP.
Downloads for texture, moves, & animations

Green circles highlight hitboxes and red circles mark blind spots.

Jab combo

Not much worth noting here.

Now HERE's where things get interesting.
Tilts

Kari has not one, but THREE ftilts! It uses the same controls as aiming a ftilt up or down, by which I mean the angle of the control stick determines which ftilt you'll use. Up-angled is Ice Punch, no angle is Metal Claw, and down-angled is Thunder Punch.

Utilt is a 2-hit Blaze Kick combo that has low BKB but high KBG. It can kill at 110%-120%, but rarely at 100%, if at all.

Dtilt is Water Pulse. It has a HUGE amount of disjoint. It can hit from very far away, but it has an enormous blind spot.

And again, things get interesting with the fsmashes.
Smashes

Just like Kari's ftilts, Kari has 3 fsmashes. The position of the picture shows what angle you need to use that attack. Angle it up for the high kick, low for the ground-sweeping aura slash, and no angle for the vertical aura slash. (The reason the lower aura slash has 2 pics is because it's very slow.)

Usmash is Dark Pulse. It's quite powerful, but is a ***** to use. The range is mediocre, and the hitbox only stays out for a few frames, meaning that you have to time the attack perfectly or you'll miss.

Just like the dtilt, the dsmash has large disjoint, hitting from afar but with a huge blind spot in the middle.

Kari was the first PSA character to have momentum commands added, though since she wasn't released until now, it doesn't really count. I tested the command on her when I found it (the only important command I've discovered on my own).
Aerials
Bair is unchanged, and uair only has an animation change, so they aren't included here.

The second move to have momentum added (with the dair being first). As shown, the initial hitboxes send the opponent down and towards Kari while propelling her upwards a little.

Although the picture only shows 3 kicks, her fair actually has 5, but they were too fast for me to get snapshots of all of them, no matter how many times I tried. :(

Dair causes her to rocket downwards. This attack is a weak spike. The real attack is if she lands during the downward movement: she creates an earthquake, striking opponents from far away. For some bizarre reason, this attack has 2 small blind spots right beside her, no matter what I do to the 3 hitboxes that are generated. The blind spot seems to occur only occasionally, too... ._.;

Throws
Bthrow is unchanged, so it isn't shown here. The only change to her pummel is that it's faster.

Uthrow creates a multi-hitbox that hits 6 times for 1 damage each. These hitboxes damage anyone nearby, as well, but they have no knockback or flinch. The damage from the throw itself is pretty low.
Fthrow is now Force Palm. Yes, I know how awkward that animation looks, but I can't seem to change it properly. :(
Dthrow is now Link's dthrow. I actually managed to change the thrown animation (the one for the character being thrown). Mostly an aesthetic change.

Specials
The only change to her up-B is that it now does damage, and her down-B is weaker but faster. She has a custom final smash, but... it kinda sucks... ;_;

Neutral special is now Mega Kick, a Falcon Punch-esque move with very slow start-up but devastating damage. You do NOT want to be hit by this, but if you can't spot her starting to use it and get out of the way in time (you have roughly 2 or 3 seconds) or hear her about to use it, then I feel sorry for you. It's better used to catch an opponent off-guard or to bait them into running into it when they try to attack while Kari's vulnerable. If you're Pichu (search PSA Pichu in the forum), you can avoid it by just standing still. :laugh:
...Well, this is embarrassing. I can't find my snapshot for this.
In the air, neutral special is a completely different move: Sky Uppercut. Basically, it's Mario's up special but higher. To catch someone in the chain of hits, they have to be above you; otherwise they'll just be knocked away by the first hit. Unlike her up special, this DOES put her into special fall, so don't use it to recover until you've used up the midair jump and up special.

Side special is now Fury Cutter. It hits multiple times, and on the ground, the last hit has very nice BKB, but virtually no KBG, so it will knock them away almost as far at 0% as at 100%, and you'll be lucky to get a kill with it at anything below 200%, maybe even above. In the air, none of the hits will knock someone away, but they will cause them to flinch. However, since Kari can't control her movement during this, it's only really effective on big targets like Bowser.

There are a couple of other animations that I've made or swapped.
Other animations
One of her idle poses is now Zelda's, but I can't find the snapshot. This one gave me a lot of trouble because of Lucario's bizarre leg structure. ^^;
Also not shown are her changed dizzy animations, sleep animations, taunts, new victory pose, and loss animations. The first 3 are because they are already animations that Lucario has, and the last 2 are because, well, I can't take snapshots of the results screen.

Everything you need to know about these is added on the side of the pic.

Sorry if this seems unorganized... This is the first full character post I've ever made. The video will make everything much clearer once I get it uploaded.

V2 changes:
-Dtilt now has a wind hitbox close to her
-Usmash lasts for 2 frames longer and has slightly faster cooldown
-Better usmash graphic
-Nfsmash can reflect projectiles (it's really touchy and doesn't always work though)
-Dfsmash does more damage
-Nspecial does a bit less damage
-Fixed first jab hitbox
-Now has Marth's AI
-New staunt
-Dsmash charge has wind hitboxes sucking opponents to her

V3 changes:
-All voice clips readded for Slashy's upcoming voice change
-Dtilt hitboxes tweaked
-Utilt is Double Kick (no fire)
-Ufsmash is Blaze Kick
-Dsmash charge wind hitboxes do minor damage
-Dsmash has weak "gtfo" hitboxes on the hands
-Completely new FS: Vacuum Wave
-Glitch: One of idle animations is replaced by uspecial startup :urg:???
-Glitch: Grabbing Kari in the middle of a move may cause a giant endless aura graphic to appear behind & above her; only way to get rid of graphic is to die :(

EDIT: Videos uploaded!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD2udADgiTo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03e4R30Tlkc

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I say the fact that I find this so amazing that this is the only PSA I'll ever even consider using is a good enough reason.

Also that Earthquake Dair.
*boots up Wii*

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
This is really, really impressive-looking (and I'd love to see vids), but I'd watch out, bionic is gonna be locking this if you don't give a good reason why not to. :(
I gave the approval when discussing it with leafbarrett, considering a lot of this can also be used for future PSA's and I haven't seen a lot of Kari's moves in other PSA's yet (custom idle animation etc)

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Nice work! I am especially impressed by how nice those earthquake graphics seem to be. How did you get it so visible?

NNID
Budget_Player
I gave the approval when discussing it with leafbarrett, considering a lot of this can also be used for future PSA's and I haven't seen a lot of Kari's moves in other PSA's yet (custom idle animation etc)
Ah. Whoops. :laugh:

Nice work! I am especially impressed by how nice those earthquake graphics seem to be. How did you get it so visible?
Hey Eldiran, looks like your title is in question... :p

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
I say the fact that I find this so amazing that this is the only PSA I'll ever even consider using is a good enough reason.
There are plenty of PSA characters out there that are better than mine... thank you though :embarrass
I put multiple identical graphic effects (the effect is 39).

stickman

Smash Apprentice
I can't add things yet, but I can take away at least the body spike. I'll do that right now for you. :D
Oops, did not realize that the spikes were attached. I can still do this, just not as fast as I thought.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
I can't add things yet, but I can take away at least the body spike. I'll do that right now for you. :D
Oops, did not realize that the spikes were attached. I can still do this, just not as fast as I thought.
:D I'd appreciate that.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
when does the earthquake animation appear in the game? is it from charizard's dsmash?
Not sure. It's graphic effect 39, which is a general graphic... I'm pretty sure Charizard's is character-specific.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
Who is going to do the female voice Leaf?

Do you have an idea?
My default plan is going to be either Peach or Zelda, but if someone can get me Talim's voice clips from SCII, or similar female voice clips, I'd use those instead.

Slashy

Smash Lord
Based on a character I made up (yes, I do RP, and yes, I'm a geek and proud of it :)).
Leaf is probably one of the most effeminate RPers I've ever met. It's a good thing you put this effort to get your character to work. Imagine how long it must take to code an illusionist pervert into the game.

You can try the MorphVOX Pro, which can be pricey, but I am sure there is a crack, or get your stuff done before the trial ends.

http://www.screamingbee.com/product/download.aspx

You can also download the free MorphVOX Junior, but that stuff sounds a little awkward.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Based on a character I made up (yes, I do RP, and yes, I'm a geek and proud of it :)).
So basically, she's a fan made, do not steal character?

Well, she's the first good one I've seen so far. I'll try this out instead of Mewtwo for now. Looks fun!

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Now that I've seen her moveset in action, I can safely say this is one of the best PSAs out there.

humble

Smash Ace
Congratulations on finally finishing your character, I can see you put a lot of effort into this.

I think the texture is a bit bright to look at (that shade of pink) and the moveset is a bit overpowered as well as heavy GFX, but since it is your character I think it is good that you finally got it done, and congratulations on that. There is a ton of original moves in this and so far the best Lucario PSA I have seen, as well as one of the most complete moveset changes.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
I think the texture is a bit bright to look at (that shade of pink) and the moveset is a bit overpowered as well as heavy GFX, but since it is your character I think it is good that you finally got it done, and congratulations on that. There is a ton of original moves in this and so far the best Lucario PSA I have seen, as well as one of the most complete moveset changes.
Texture: I have never and will never claim to be anything but a total noob at Photoshop. XD

Graphic heavy? You should have seen the previous versions. Still, what graphics can I get rid of now? At this point, all I can think of is the fire effect on the utilt.

The moveset is STILL overpowered? X_X You're ****ing kidding me, right? Overpowered how? Only things I can think of that might be a problem are:
-Down ftilt: Maybe a bit too spammable, though it's easy enough to get around, though annoying.
-Neutral B: Is it too strong, even for how slow it is?
-Walljump: Okay, this one is only applicable on levels that have easily accessible, large-scale walls at areas she would need to recover at. Still, it is kinda ridiculous, I guess...
Is it one of those, or is it something else that I'm overlooking completely?
Imagine how long it must take to code an illusionist pervert into the game.
And what's that supposed to mean? ._.

Slashy

Smash Lord
If I was to code my eponymous RP character in PSA, then it would take quite a feat of coding genius to get all of my character's abilities to work.

That is if you remember what my characters did in Smash-X, I was such a troll :p.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
V1.1 is done!
Changes:
-Dtilt now has a wind hitbox close to her
-Usmash last for 2 frames longer and has slightly faster cooldown
-Better usmash graphic
-Nfsmash can reflect projectiles (it's really touchy and doesn't always work though)
-Dfsmash does more damage
-Nspecial does a bit less damage
-Fixed first jab hitbox
-Now has Marth's AI
-New staunt

Moveset: http://www.mediafire.com/file/e1o2xdd2wng/FitKari1.1.pac
MotionEtc: http://www.mediafire.com/file/yxymzzmgoyt/FitKariMotionEtc1.1.pac

marter

Smash Apprentice
This character looks nice, but I must ask how is progress on Gardevoir coming?

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
This character looks nice, but I must ask how is progress on Gardevoir coming?
Hit a standstill. I can't get her to stop crashing, so I can't get any more work done. ;-;
If I was to code my eponymous RP character in PSA, then it would take quite a feat of coding genius to get all of my character's abilities to work.

That is if you remember what my characters did in Smash-X, I was such a troll :p.
Yes, yes you were. XD

Alses

Smash Apprentice
Hit a standstill. I can't get her to stop crashing, so I can't get any more work done. ;-;
I know I already asked but can I help? I really want to help on the Gardevoir project! I'm good at textures and PSA... Not really that great with animations... I might be able to fix the freeze depending on what is causing it.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
I know I already asked but can I help? I really want to help on the Gardevoir project! I'm good at textures and PSA... Not really that great with animations... I might be able to fix the freeze depending on what is causing it.
Really? I guess I missed you asking to help. My bad ^^; I'd love having some help.
http://www.mediafire.com/?iqot1czyzn0 Here's all the animations
http://www.mediafire.com/?jmlmhmkqzoz Here's the model .pcs
http://www.mediafire.com/?y4zkeyz2zy1 Here's the model .pac

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Nice character! It has a sort of "flow" to it when playing. I must say, I've learned this character easier than I learned the original Lucario.

Mega Kick's a bit too strong. 37%, on an attack that's very difficult to spot coming. It's stronger even than Falcon Punch, and Falcon Punch is easier to avoid because it gives more warning (bright red flame GFX). It might need to be nerfed slightly damage-wise (after all, you can't do a Reverse Mega Kick or an aerial Mega Kick, so there's two things that balance Mega Kick out compared to the Falcon Punch), and even the Warlock Punch doesn't have that kind of knockback (it's crazy). The knockback definitely needs a nerf.

IMO, the DSmash could use a (weak) hitbox on her hands, as a "get away from me" move (she doesn't have one currently) as well as just for aesthetics, considering she practically does a palm strike either side of her.

I've also found that it's possible to hit 3 times with the DAir in just the right situation, rather than just 2 times. Not that I'm complaining.

You said the Utilt could only occasionally kill at 100%. Well, I managed to kill at 89% with it on Stormy Destination. I don't know if Stormy has closer death boundaries than regular FD, though.

The Final Smash is kinda underwhelming. You should probably make it so that each hit knocks them into the next hit, and then have the last hit blast enemies off with explosive force (give it the knockback the first hit has currently). It's kinda lame in a way, having a single 11% damage hit blow enemies away at 65% damage (the down-angled F-Smash has that sort of knockback as well, and does higher damage).

And sorry if I'm bumping this. I just figured that since I just got this PSA, I ought to be able to give my feedback.

Top Bottom