• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A new/overlooked advanced technique: Tether Grab Cancel

LanceStern

Smash Lord
- Have you ever tried to tether grab the ledge only to be gimped by the opponent predicting the grab? Like Metaknight executing a falling nair/dair to disrupt your tether?
- Wish you had a few more mindgames to throw into Samus' already AMAZING ledge game?
- Want a few more mixups to recovery?

Wish no more, it's (already been) here! Samus' Tether Grab Cancel! VIDEO HERE

I was playing around with the idea of recovering from the ledge. It's really hard sometimes with a Marth/Metaknight standing at the ledge. I was going to mix up hanging on the ledge, dropping and then immediately screw attacking back up to punish them when I found something amazing.

Samus will shoot her tether onto the ledge and attach to it, but you can disconnect it and immediately act! Check the video!

EDIT: Saviorslegacy found a variation of this before I did haha. But not exactly the same.

HOW TO DO IT
1. Tether ledge grab
2. Anytime it attaches, hit down
3. Voila! You're disconnected!

If you jumped off the ledge by your own free will, or you didn't use your second jump, you can jump after the TGC for some amazing ledge mixups!

APPLICATIONS?
+ Mix up recoveries. Now instead of just tether grabbing, you can TGC to bait an attack by the opponent, then use your second jump to come and attack with a fair.
+ Mix up gimps. Use the TGC to grab the ledge more than once and confuse the opponent!
+ Mix up punishments! That Metaknight wants to falling nair you? TGC and shoot them in the face!
+ The tether grab can be cancelled immediately to attacks like nair/fair/uair/dair/morph ball/screw attack... anything!

Plus it looks cool

WARNING
It's a dangerous technique to use. Remember how many jumps/tether grabs you have or else you could fall down without a jump and lead to an early death. It's very frustrating.
You can do no more than 3 consecutive tether grabs. Afte ryou've done a third, you MUST plant your feet on the stage to reset the grabs, grabbing the ledge will not reset it!

Have fun! And don't overlook this.

PS ~ Also at the end of the clip, I've found samus can cross under a majority of stages with a single MBB and a jump. Sometimes (smashville) she can get under with just a jump and screw attack. It's useful too!

RaigothDagon

Smash Journeyman
Being that upb is probably Samus' safest option, this is a good technique to get her spaced properly for grabbing the ledge safely. It is very conditional and hard not to get hit, however. Using her zair extends her hurtbox and makes it easier to hit you if the opponent is already out to get you. This part of her grab offers no invulnerability, just a very fast constantly changing hurtbox.

Would you say there any characters we should avoid doing this to? Cause I think MK and Marth just tear through me when I do this D:

LanceStern

Smash Lord
From what I've experienced, MKS and Marths tend to fastfall off the ledge and strike me, or spam a downsmash/fsmash at the ledge to hit her when tethering back on.

If you bait any of those options with a Tether Grab Cancel, you can perhaps punish it with the techniques shown in the video. or at the very least mix it up enough to get back on. Just condition them to respond to the tether ledge grab and then mix in the cancel and see what results you get.

You definitely don't want to TGC as close to the ledge as I did against MK/Marth or Olimar, but you can perform it even farther back! It's suggested you keep your second jump though.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
this is just another thing you can do while on the ledge. Im telling you, the ledge is the future.

LucasGrey

Smash Cadet
i knew this could be done but i never gave it any thought tbh.
Seems like i think i should practice next time I'm versus AKiRA heh heh.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Are you serious? -_- Olimar players learned this within the first week of play because it would screw them out of recovery. GG on deciding to use it I suppose.

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280
I brought this up before D:

Nobody listened to me ;_;

Back when brawl first came out, Gimpyfish was messing around w/ chain cancling for sheik.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOeIo3InPLU
Samus however is probably much more limited, as you can't Zair reversal.

W/sheik I use chain cancling to set up stage spikes. ( or I try )

I have kinda messed around w/ samus, but not really.

Mr9

Smash Journeyman
I brought this up before D:

Nobody listened to me ;_;

Back when brawl first came out, Gimpyfish was messing around w/ chain cancling for sheik.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOeIo3InPLU
Samus however is probably much more limited, as you can't Zair reversal.

W/sheik I use chain cancling to set up stage spikes. ( or I try )

I have kinda messed around w/ samus, but not really.
i just got on the bords dude sorry

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
came back after a long hiatus just to check up on you guys

but nothing seems to be new

have a happy new year, good luck samus boards~

LanceStern

Smash Lord
I pulled this off in a couple of games yesterday lol it rocks.

TGC -> rising nair
TGC -> rising plasma shot

All you do is get the opponent used to reacting to your tether grab, then cancel it. It's fun

SuperScizor

Smash Cadet
This is a pretty good find. I used to think that Samus was one of the worst characters, but I'm using her more and she seems to be better than I thought.

Can you do this trick with ZSS as well as regular Samus?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
That looks coo'...
I can imagine a delayed Spike caused by that ****. That'd be sexy.

10GrappleBeamStalling

All you do is get the opponent used to reacting to your tether grab, then cancel it. It's fun
Yeah, they might in fact get hit by a fully charged Charge Beam before even realizing you canceled the tether.

I also noticed this move resets Samus' momentum when she's falling, so you could theoreticly get a nice dair or [insert other gimping move here] and still manage to recover without FFing to your death.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
I've also recoved by MBB to give me horizontal momentum, then tether cancel -> second jump -> some aerial. The opponent thinks I'm just regularly tether recovering and try to react, but they mess up all the time.

I used the tether cancel -> full plasma shot on at least 10 different high level opponents.

They don't see it coming, it's amazing.

Top Bottom