• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miss Gigabits? Otronicon 2010 - 1/16-17th + Updates

[GB]Cecil

Smash Apprentice
You guys miss me? I've missed you all :(

All is not lost, however. 2010 has some VERY exciting events coming up ahead that I will have the honor of bringing to you guys at the same caliber (if not better) than what I brought to the table at Gigabits. I promised you guys an update before the end of the year, so here you go..

Opening up close by to Gigabits is a new LAN center that I plan on bringing smash back in to - Next Level LAN (www.nextlevellan.com). I will be giving them the tools they need and the event management they need to get on board with the smash scene to bring Gigs quality tournaments. Get this.. you know all of those seeding points that you guys worked feverishly hard to get, and all of the cash prize incentives that you had? You still got 'em. I'm going to be using the exact same files and records from Gigabits and using them for the tournaments at Next Level LAN. So what this essentially means is that Orlando is once again going to be a highly organized smash hub AND the events will be held at a bigger place for you guys to enjoy. Thats it for the Gigs business for now, if you have any questions please PM me about them. On to the next order of business...

Otronicon. Next Level LAN -might- be out there for this year's convention. Either way, I will be. I won't be working for anybody but the science center itself, so I have a lot more freedom in bringing you guys what you want. I know it falls on the date of a major tournament, which you know I hate but I can't really do anything about that. I haven't finalized prizes nor am I in charge of them but I do have a good influence on them. Here is what I have so far for planning:

EDIT: See below

Rulings will be the same as Gigabits, and I will speak to the Otronicon guy in regards to incentives for volunteers. If you are willing to volunteer by either bringing a system or helping unlock characters on the Wiis the day before, please send me a PM or an email. I'm going to be making some amendments to this post as more things are finalized. I'm a little sleepy in making the initial post so please forgive me :) Thats it for now. I'll keep you guys in the loop, as you are all awesome and I love you <3

Here is the last edit -

Time for the final update!

I'm editing the original post for this thread to make it easier on you guys as well. My group (Robbie, Katie and I) stopped by yesterday to get a good look at the place and finalize the events as per your requests, and I think you'll like the schedule we came up with as well as the incentives for those who wish to volunteer. Here are the things we figured out:

Friday - 6pm-midnight Brawl 2v2 (Cinnedome)
Saturday - 4pm-midnight Brawl 1v1 (4th floor)
Sunday - 3pm-10pm Melee 1v1 (Cinnedome)
Monday - all day Casual Melee 2v2 (no entry fee)

The rules for all formats will follow the SBR Rules, NOT MLG.
Last year they had some loss of controllers, so please don't bring your controller. They will have an array of classic or wii controllers for you to pick from. I tried to tell them otherwise but the whole controller theft thing was a legit enough reason from them to back up. When you arrive, we will have you register and have your handle (NOT your full name for once) entered in to the gigabits-style bracket system. Meaning we WILL be using seeding points just so that the experienced players don't get shafted in r1.

Volunteers
Here is what I got emailed to me

I spoke with Jim and Brandan some more, particularly about the BYOWii's idea. If you think we can produce at least eight Wiis to make the comp go more smoothly, then we'll allow your people to bring in their own systems.
About that:
1) The Wiis must be marked or tagged in some way, or have their serial numbers submitted to us before they can be brought on property.
2) The wiis will only be used for the Smash Bros CineDome competitions and will not leave the CineDome otherwise. and
3) The Wiis will need to be here before Thursday.

Each person who loans us a Wii for the event will be compensated with fifteen (15) comp passes, that are each good for for free admission to the science center (including Otronicon.) Each pass is a $17.00 value, so that... adds up. :-)
With that said, those who messaged me AND contacted Jim Lee about volunteering will have first dibs on getting a volunteer position. Please get in touch with him and let me know if you heard back from him. Like I said, if you can't put in 8 hours of volunteering before the tournament, just come up to me on the day of and let me know. I'll find something for you to do, it's cool.

Toneh

Smash Lord
nice work cecil, keep smash goin in cfl.
If it weren't for u, that tourny would prolly be 4 player, FFA, items on, single elim. all on FD

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
cecil if you can convince that lan center to host the monthly tourneys...my head would explode from all the ****

hiROI

Smash Lord
on otronicon website it's 13 and older. i just wanna get into the con for free by volunteering the game room lolololololo
:chuckle:
Thank you! I just emailed Otronicon, I hope they accept :X
If we volunteer, can we also enter the tournament?

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I have a suggestion. Ditch the Melee in favor of a second day of Brawl with more "casual-friendly" competitions. Include items, FFA, whatever. Crazy stuff that you can't find at Gigabits or any other tournament. Otronicon is an event that attracts ALOT of casual and mid-range gamers, and I think it makes sense to cater to them in some way. I know you used to run Gigabits, and I respect what you've gotten done with your tournaments, but my friends and I always thought Otronicon was way better since the rules made everything so unpredictable (it gets the crowd excited much more than straight up no items stuff). I'm not saying that you should make the ruleset a two-minute all items single elimination debacle, but I do think that running it exactly like a Gigabits tournament would be a huge waste. The people who are hardcore enough for that will be at Pound 4. Don't disappoint the more casual crowd that shows up. They're gonna represent 90% of the people who enter.

Sandtru27

Smash Lord
lol get dtorr'd

but the dude does make some sense

you gotta know the audience

i'll prolly be at this cause i'm too broke lol

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
I'll be here, since there is no way that I'm going to be at pound.

Also...

I have a suggestion. Ditch the Melee in favor of a second day of Brawl with more "casual-friendly" competitions. Include items, FFA, whatever. Crazy stuff that you can't find at Gigabits or any other tournament. Otronicon is an event that attracts ALOT of casual and mid-range gamers, and I think it makes sense to cater to them in some way. I know you used to run Gigabits, and I respect what you've gotten done with your tournaments, but my friends and I always thought Otronicon was way better since the rules made everything so unpredictable (it gets the crowd excited much more than straight up no items stuff). I'm not saying that you should make the ruleset a two-minute all items single elimination debacle, but I do think that running it exactly like a Gigabits tournament would be a huge waste. The people who are hardcore enough for that will be at Pound 4. Don't disappoint the more casual crowd that shows up. They're gonna represent 90% of the people who enter.
I get where your coming from but I'm sure that there are a lot of competitive melee players who can't make pound (like me!) so I don't think that ditching melee would be all that good of an idea.

Also I'm pretty sure that they have casuals going on all the time, so I don't think that the casual players would be missing out too much.

Zoro

Smash Champion

what the....

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I get where your coming from but I'm sure that there are a lot of competitive melee players who can't make pound (like me!) so I don't think that ditching melee would be all that good of an idea.

Also I'm pretty sure that they have casuals going on all the time, so I don't think that the casual players would be missing out too much.
Hmm... I can also see your point of view. Melee was fun at past Otronicon events, but it has been a couple years. I think most people are going to want to see Brawl, the same way that everybody is going to be looking for Tekken 6 instead of Tekken 4, Madden 2010 instead of 2009, etc. It is also worth considering that it may not be possible to have double-elimination singles and doubles in one day. The turnout for these tournaments are huge.

There's just one thing you have to understand here - Otronicon is not an MLG-type setting. There's a very heavy emphasis on bringing casual players, students, friends, families, etc. Gamers of every skill level will be in attendance, but "competitive Brawl/Melee" players are going to represent an extremely small portion of the actual turnout. There are lots of SBR style tournaments that hardcore players can go to year-round, but for most of the people at Otronicon, this will be their only tournament experience, and they aren't going to care about rankings or whatever. They're gonna show up looking for fun, and the less predictable and more crazy the matches are, the better. People like that.

I made finals at the first Otronicon. Rules were terrible (2 minutes, all items, no character changes, single elim), but it was still interesting. I got to play some great Fox players, a Peach player, etc. There were no scrubs in the top 12; the strong players still ended up at the big screen. Matches were action packed, and the crowd loved creative item use like extending the life of a red shell with the cape (some people waited for me after the match to specifically talk about this). Everyone was real into it. Except the final - I ended up against some Falcon player on Temple. Basically, he got the first kill, then just ran away the rest of the time. Some people actually started booing. You can say it was because of the stage or weird rules, but ultimately, the player decided he wanted to win instead of fight, which isn't what the crowd wanted. Subsequent years had similar properties - the crowd always wants to see something unexpected - last minute comebacks, character upsets, etc.

To me, it's more important to get the crowd riled up and create an electric atmosphere than it is to win. It's a good idea to get all the casual-mid range players excited, because they become the hardcore players later on, and the more you can get people talking about the tournament, the more the community will grow.

Sandtru27

Smash Lord
so give them a setup on a projector

if they don't care, why does there need to be a tournament for them? lol

if there needs to be some kind of prize/incentive just do a raffle for them lol

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Uhhh there was melee last year and plenty of people entered, pritty sure like 30+. I'll be going for melee AND brawl.

Sorry Sleek Media but its not fair to disappoint a bunch of melee players just because you don't want to play melee.

Thanks to Cecil for still thinking about the smash community.

#HBC | Dancer

Sleek Media I simply don't see why Melee should be abandoned for casual brawl. There is a good amount of people who will enter Melee, both experienced and new, and there will probably be setups for casual brawl. If they want to have a "casual-friendly" tournament then they should run it on the side or something, but they shouldn't ditch Melee for it. :/

Also, I don't really think that having a casual-friendly tournament will really interest that many people to get into competitive smash. Most people who would want to get into the scene would probably go out and look for tournaments to be in. I know that a lot of people probably don't know that the competitive smash scene exists, but I don't really think that a casual tournament would really inform/interest them in it.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Obviously, I don't expect anyone on this forum to agree with my suggestion. You're the hardcore 10% that I mentioned. I was making a suggestion, as requested by the original post. If you have suggestions of your own, make them. I won't get off topic on a "casual vs pro tournament" debate. There are plenty of other threads for that if you want to talk about it.

#HBC | Dancer

Yeah we shouldn't get off topic in this thread, sorry about that. Your suggestion just scared me, that's all. :laugh:

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
No problem, Sword. I came off a bit strong as well. I'd just like to see some non-standard stuff at the tourney, regardless of whether it's Melee or Brawl. Either way, I plan on showing up. It's always worth it to meet some good players and face off on the big screen.

benaji261!

Smash Ace
I'd like to go this.
Then again I'd like to go to Pound.
I'd like to go to either of them.
Oops.
Forgot I'm poor.
And live far away from either one.
****it.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
And yes, I do plan on bringing monthly tournaments back to Orlando.
i'll kiss the shoes youre wearing the next time i see you when you pull that off

not even joking

not if you wearing sandals though

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
Cecil is too freakin good. Hes like the CFL smash hero, and he doesn't even play the **** game, haha.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
For sure, Cecil was the main reason Gigs smash tourneys were so awesome. Well run but very laid back.

But smash was great for gigs too. We definitely did our share of trying to help gigs stay in business. I know they made a lot of money from those 60-130 person tourneys every month. We just need to get some of the local LAN centers to understand how profitable smash can be.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Gah! All this talk of LAN centers only makes me think of how badly I want to open one in Pittsburgh...except it's not nearly as good an area for that sort of thing as Orlando.

Edit:
Speaking of which, is anyone able to provide housing for this event? ^ ^

Cloudstealth

Smash Journeyman
So this would be awesome to show up to but.....

Zero Ping is the 16th

POUND 4 is the 16th as well.

It's like we're forcing the smash community to stay separated.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
I was the LEGEND of last Otronicon!!! :):):):)

1st in both Brawl events and 2nd in both Melee events!!!!

This time there will actually be people there who are better than me though :(.

[GB]Cecil

Smash Apprentice
My plan is to teach NLL the things they need to know so that they can run them monthly on their own in the same way that I run them. Saturdays I'm usually swamped with crap to do and it's hard putting both things together. I'll run the first few ones, though!

Top Bottom