• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake and Ledge pressuring (starting w/ MK)

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
Hey guys,
I made this thread to talk about Snake's Ledge pressuring (obviously). I feel that that if we discuss his abilities and disabilities of ledge pressuring, it could help our Meta-game.
My reason for this thread:
If we discuss this important topic we could learn from each other and aid our Meta-game. Also, the more vids I watch of our good snakes (Ally, Anti etc) the more I realize that we, the Snake community, are having trouble with ledge pressuring. I found it's harder to control the stage with a lot of this happening trough out the match. To much ledge pressuring can lead to frustration, not thinking correctly, and losing the set. If we can learn to take control of this one small disadvantage of Snake's, than we'll do a lot better overall. Our beloved Snake has multiple problems with ledge pressuring do to his size, weight, gravity, shield (?).
Lets fix this. DISCUSS!
First up: Meta Knight.
Things to discuss:
-How well does MK do w/ ledge pressuring? and....
-What moves, trixies, or mind games does he use?
-Does his ledge pressuring have any large weaknesses? (don't post obvious thing).
-How well does Snake do w/ ledge pressuring MK?
-What can Snake do to keep up his ledge pressuring and minimize his weaknesses?
-discuss anything else I may have missed.:)

-Cross-

Smash Ace
The common theme I see with MK ledge pressuring is one of three options.
1: Space and charge f-smash
2: Space tilts (either f-tilt or d-tilt) and punish reactions
3: Use tornado

Of course what each MK does may be different after all this is essentially all of MK's options vs Snake's limited options. But these three are the options I see used most from all the vids I watch. There does not seem to be much of a critical weakness in these three moves though that Snake can take advantage of. He doesn't have any aerial with enough speed or range to punish option 1 or 2. 3 pretty much covers everything Snake can do.

I either opt for using the standard ground options from the ledge, second jump air dodge, ledge jump air dodge, second jump reversed gernade, or a risky but situational option second jump upB.

If MK does option 1, I just tend to stay on the ledge, see if I can hit him through the stage, if not just refresh invincibility. If he screwed up his spacing I get on to the stage with the opening he left me.
Against option 2, both air dodging options are pretty good, you can also upB through the tilts because they do low damage, but this should only be against a really aggressive MK or else they might grab you and then you're kinda screwed.
Option 3 covers pretty much all your options. Ledge jump air dodge can go through a low tornado but you're in a bad position nonetheless if they quickly stop tornado or they punish your post lag. Btw this is a good time to use the Ally DI option, jump into the tornado and DI out and punish them with bair but if you're not superhuman just try to minimize the damage here, and transition into the juggling situation.;) Getting juggled is not good but I feel it's a much better option against MK then when you are on the edge.

Just my 2 cents from previous experiences. I hope this sparks more discussion because this is an area I still have a lot of difficulty with.

rchau

Smash Cadet
um, you're a ****** who doesn't even play snake, you play rob. and u promote balanced brawl, which is also gay. i suggest braking your cd.

Oh also, mizu uses Snake but it's not as much as him playing as ROB.

But he still plays Snake anyway.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Uhm. I am actually still finishing the little edgeguarding guide. Just waiting on some people to finish writing stuff for me. I have a section on MK in it.

etecoon

Smash Hero
another thing MK can do is just wait for you when you're on the ledge, and run up and SHnair when you move. if you roll, you get hit, if you get up, you get hit, if you get up attack, you miss and you get hit

lol snake D:

Top Bottom