• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mystery Dungeon--The PT Interview Thread: TYPH

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811

Welcome to the Pokemon interview thread! Here you may ask our weekly Trainer anything you'd like. Just post a question, and the Trainer in question will get back to you quicker than an Extremespeeding Deoxys.

Well...maybe not that fast. Please give the weekly interviewee ample time to respond to your questions. Feel free to ask however many questions you'd like in a post.

Once all the questions are answered and the week's up, I'll post a summary of all the questions and their appropriate answers and then put an archive up here for perusal anytime.

Up now is typh.

Previously asked Trainers:
Reflex
Toby
Steeler
Magik
T-block
PokemonMasterIRL
Kith
Mata
Zigsta
Vermy
TKO

Ask away, Trainers!

Bomber7

Smash Hero
First I want to say is great idea Zig for making such a great thread. As for me right now I have no questions yet.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I'll throw out the first question, then:

Why is Dodrio your favorite Pokemon?

Timothy2035

Smash Journeyman
Reflex what drew you to choose Pokemon Trainer in Brawl? Were you excited when it was announced, or was it that you started playing around with the character after you got the game?

What made you want to stick with the charcater in particular?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Heh...I like this.

I'll answer all the current questions in a couple of hours. I'm out with friends at the moment, and I want to give you my full attention when I answer these questions.

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
Luis which tier do you think each pokemon is in individually and then PT as a whole and why? I know this is requires and indepth answer but I am just curious as to how you view each character and their options or lack of options in comparison the the rest of the cast.

Vermy

Smash Champion
Reflex, what do you think each pokemon's heaviest asset? And each pokemon's worst matchup?

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
While watching you play reflex, does moving like your the pokemon help you play better? When you F throw with charizard you throw your head too and you kinda jump around playing squirtle.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'll throw out the first question, then:

Why is Dodrio your favorite Pokemon?
Well, first off, I really like the ability of flight, and in that, especially birds. To me, they always appear to be such majestic creatures in that. That, and they're quite cute, at least, generally speaking.

The obvious response is, "But Dodrio can't fly!" Technically, that's not what the Pokémon games say! Still, I'm pretty sure it's just done by running really fast, which I'm perfectly okay with, too. If I had a Dodrio in real life, I'd ride it from place to place like a Highway Star! That aside, it's the "bird" in it, rather than flight that gets me. Plus, there's a lot to think about here...A lot of this is coming from the Pokédex, so, bear with me.

Three heads means that there's three brains. According to the Pokédex, they're fairly smart individually, and they can think up complex plans as a result. I can appreciate teamwork and intelligence. Along with that, the fact that they're set on specific emotions makes me wonder if they ever have trouble getting along, heh. It's interesting to me.

Also, they have three sets of hearts and lungs, which means that its endurance must be astounding compared to the average runner. I've always wanted to get myself better at that sort of thing, so I can admire such stamina. If Dodrio was in Brawl, it wouldn't have a stamina timer, hah.

Reflex what drew you to choose Pokemon Trainer in Brawl? Were you excited when it was announced, or was it that you started playing around with the character after you got the game?

What made you want to stick with the charcater in particular?
I was initially excited, certainly. Pokémon is arguably my favorite game series (though I would probably say WarioWare is, which is also why I originally cared to main Wario), so seeing Pokémon Trainer was really awesome to me.

I was more concerned with Wario at the time, and I just couldn't make PT work well the first few times I played (Japanese) Brawl, but I kept trying.

I wasn't good with Wario, either--In fact, my "BYE:(" tag comes from the fact that we once did a tournament in Tourney Mode, where we had a Kirby with a 200% handicap slapped onto him, and we used that tag to represent a bye in the tournament. The second time we did it, we had eight players, so I used the tag, saying I may as well be a bye, hah...

Eventually, my secondaries switched around a lot, because I would switch and find a character interesting, but get bored quickly. After I "learned the real game," Pokémon Trainer kept my interest because of the fact that three different characters allowed for three different styles, which never felt like I was doing the same few things every match. The fact that the metagame was pretty untapped at the time also made me want to learn more. That's one of the reasons I was stuck on Bowser in Melee, too. I liked that, and I like it to this day, which is probably why PT has never felt boring to me. I've tried almost every character in the game and have become bored with it, but there always seems to be something new to discover about all three Pokémon.

Why do you **** my D3 so hard? ;_______;
Because the matchup is about even. Ivysaur goes 45-55 against Dedede with platforms around, and Squirtle has a slight advantage. I need to work on my Charizard, but I imagine it's not worse than 40-60 there, either.

Luis which tier do you think each pokemon is in individually and then PT as a whole and why? I know this is requires and indepth answer but I am just curious as to how you view each character and their options or lack of options in comparison the the rest of the cast.
Squirtle? A Tier, easily. Lots of options, fantastic air game, nice grab range, and plenty of tricks to go around. He can camp if he needs to, which helps, and the "stats" on his rolls are similar to Diddy Kong, though he doesn't go as far. Amazing combo game, and air control is key in many matchups, which he has plenty of. He has plenty of wonderful tools, but nothing truly busted to put him over the edge into S Tier. Maybe with some more work on the hydro-ish stuff...?

Ivysaur? D Tier, I think. The recovery isn't so bad when you have decent moves to throw most opponents off, like D-Air and B-Air. Just aim high with your DI! That being said, Ivysaur has good spacing and nice power on many moves, and certain moves go a long way in making matchups solid for her. The bad horizontal aerial momentum is troublesome, but at least her aerials can keep the opponent from just doing whatever they want (mostly), which is more than Charizard can say when the opponent can approach over Flamethrower. Bad grab, good throws.

Charizard? Maybe C Tier, but I can't imagine being very high in that. Could even be D Tier. At this point, I feel that I have more trouble using Charizard than Ivysaur in many situations. At the same time, there are a lot of very basic things that put Charizard where he is. Nice range, power, and relatively quick moves add up to nice things, but Charizard's aerials are all rather situational, and he's juggled so easily. Ground game is solid in short-hopped aerials, Flamethrower, and grabs, but he's just massacred in the air. Good grab, bad throws.

Reflex, what do you think each pokemon's heaviest asset? And each pokemon's worst matchup?
Squirtle's mobility in general. The fact that he can keep moving while doing almost anything goes a long way, both offensively and defensively. Shellshifting and unexplored territory in hydro-ish stuff should make approaching and avoiding opponents a breeze when players master it. RAR'd Back-Airs, U-Air juggles, solid edgeguarding, nice camping ability...They all make for a very solid, intimidating character to use, and that stuff gets its "power" from Squirtle's mobility.

As far as worst matchup goes, I would probably say that it's Marth. Stupid grab stuff and crazy range is a major issue, but it's hardly an impossible matchup.

Ivysaur's would be tough to call. I want to say the many weird/extreme properties of her moves. N-Air spike, D-Air properties, Bullet Seed range/damage, various Up-B things, crazy range on B-Air/F-Smash, many multi-hit properties, with the last one probably being the most important. Hitting twice with B-Air or D-Tilt and a bunch of times with N-Air can really throw off some people and allows for lots of shield poke opportunities, which is very important with Ivysaur.

Ivysaur's worst matchup is Meta Knight, because there's really no proper spacing you can maintain. Used properly, his moves just beat yours, plain and simple.

Charizard's is hardest to judge. In fact, let me sleep on it.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
While watching you play reflex, does moving like your the pokemon help you play better? When you F throw with charizard you throw your head too and you kinda jump around playing squirtle.
Technically, yes. The movements aren't directly linked to making me play better, but I'm at my best when I'm having fun, and doing the animations in real life certainly helps in that. I'm sure a lot of people laugh at me for it, but I don't care, really.

also what is the most awesome KO you've ever gotten with each of the poogymans?
I'm not really sure about Squirtle and Ivysaur, honestly. They both do a lot of crazy stuff sometimes, but I'm not sure about it.

I have the New Age Lava Combo with Charizard on Norfair, though. It's been a while, but it's on Kismet's Wii from about half a year ago. It was something like, "Back-Throw -> bounce off lava wall -> F-Air -> bounce off lava wall -> F-Smash." I'll give it a look sometime and see if that's what it is. Hell, I might even get the video up on YouTube.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Magik and Steeler, don't hate on the name!

Got another one for you, Reflex: Why is Freezepop your favorite band?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I got a question.

How do I beat you?
Pick up a character with better horizontal aerial mobility and outspace me.

Either that, or get rather good with Meta Knight or Marth. :(

Good luck with the first one, though--You'll need it. I'm pretty awesome.

I enjoy reading Reflex's posts.

As for my question: how's life treating you these days?

=)
Things have been winding down lately. I haven't had as much time to play Brawl, but I try to make time for it. Winter Break has been nice to me, but I need to buckle down for next semester's college classes, since I'll have a full load of them, and my GPA has been less than great lately.

I haven't been able to find a job since I got laid off last summer, which is rough, but I'm somewhat spoiled and I can usually make decent amounts of money with in-state Brawl tournaments and various odd jobs. I wish I had more spending money, though, honestly. That aside, I'm trying to save my money, too. I left a moderate hole in my savings from Genesis and a trip to Boston for SNES, and I haven't filled most of it yet.

As it is, I'm just a lazy college student doing lazy college things, sans-drinking/partying stereotype, and things don't change a lot. Most of my days are spent playing DS (usually Pokémon Platinum), going to Barnes and Noble, walking near the river or Idle Hour Park, and playing Pump It Up at the local arcade. While I enjoy company with friends, I really enjoy my alone time, and I've had plenty of time to appreciate it.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Got another one for you, Reflex: Why is Freezepop your favorite band?
Well, to start, I had no interest in music at all until about the 7th grade, and the only reason that came about is because I started playing Dance Dance Revolution. Before that time, I only really cared about video game soundtracks, and that's because listening to them gave me the enjoyment that came from the games themselves.

After that, I started to pay attention to the music I heard in various places--Stuff on the radio, or stuff my older brother or my friends listened to...Still, for every gem I found, I was left disappointed in the rest of the album, it seemed. I had various tracks that I enjoyed, but they were few and far between. There weren't any artists that I was familiar with that I could say that I enjoyed virtually all of their tracks.

Eventually, I was at a close friend's house, and my close friend showed me his brother's music collection, which was absolutely massive. He showed me some of his favorite tracks, and we started listening to some stuff on shuffle. Eventually, we got to a remix of Stakeout (Donnerschlag Remix, if anyone cares), which is a Freezepop song. I really liked it, so I decided to check what other Freezepop songs he had. All he had was another remix (Bike Thief - Tubeway Remix), and though it was okay, it wasn't nearly as good as the Stakeout remix.

As a result of how much I was intrigued by the first remix, I decided to look up a few songs the next day. Most of the robotic sound was only present in the remixes, but I was left with wonderful keyboard work, simple-but-pleasant lyrics, and the unenthusiastic singing of Liz Enthusiasm, the singer of Freezepop. I thought it all went together really well, and while there were a few songs that I wasn't completely crazy for, I could definitely say that I thoroughly enjoyed a large majority of it, and it's the first band that I could ever say that about.

That being said, I listened to their work a whole lot, especially since I didn't have a lot to choose from, but I was okay with that. I found myself appreciating many songs only have some time, but songs that I didn't initially love are some of my favorites now.

The main appeal of Freezepop to me is based on raw emotion. Most of their songs are either simple and whimsical or convey strong emotion, despite Liz Enthusiasm being very soft-spoken throughout the songs that don't involve rocking out, heh. There isn't a lot to think about. It could be about how nice it is to be with your sweetheart, or wanting to sleep in, or going out and having a good time. It could also be about stealing bicycles, being on Wheel of Fortune, or even drinking Sprite, hahah. I've found that I can associate a Freezepop song with just about every major event in my (later) life, and to have such memories associated with them makes them very special to me. No matter how I'm feeling, a Freezepop song can always make me smile. I don't have to think about it--Simple and fun lyrics with simple and fun vocals mixed in with some lovely synth sounds can easily get me feeling upbeat and excited.

Do you pay attention to any other pokemon trainer mains, watch their videos, and learn from them?
No, although it's something I've been meaning to start doing. I hardly ever watch videos, and it's been that way since my years with competitive Melee, but it's not for a lack of enjoyment. I usually enjoy a match or a combo video when it's put in front of me, but I usually don't feel much motivation to put it in front of me, hah.

Also, I'm going to watch your matches soon and tell you what I think, I promise. :p

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
At this point, I feel that I have more trouble using Charizard than Ivysaur in many situations. At the same time, there are a lot of very basic things that put Charizard where he is.
I feel this way too, you put it into words so well though. I am actually pretty depressed with my Zard lately, which I used to take such great pride in.

You are cool do Luis, I have a lot of respect for you, and its cool to see you posting more, I cant wait until traveling and tournaments have our paths cross again.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
oh wow I just found my question.

why is it that every time you come into town and I want to play you I never can? Is it like God doesn't want us to play yet or something? >_>

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
What are you studying Reflex? And where did you get the name 'Reflex' from?

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
If it was possible, would you replace one of the Pokemon with Melee Bowser?

T-block

B2B TST
Coooooool

What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment with Pokemon Trainer?
Are there ever times when you feel like dropping him for another character?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
What are you studying Reflex? And where did you get the name 'Reflex' from?
I'm a Psychology major (MINDGAMES). I'm not exactly sure what I want to do with it, but the human mind fascinates me greatly, so I enjoy learning all I can about it. I'm thinking about becoming a counselor, perhaps.

If it was possible, would you replace one of the Pokemon with Melee Bowser?
I love Melee Bowser. I would gladly trade Charizard for Melee Bowser. I was upset when I found out that Brawl Bowser is so much slower in his movements, but the fact that Charizard was somewhat faster than that made me focus on him more than Brawl Bowser. Rock Smash is great and all, but there are so many tricks I have with Melee Bowser that would make him a lot more fun to use for me.

What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment with Pokemon Trainer?
Are there ever times when you feel like dropping him for another character?
Helping the metagame grow as much as it has is probably what I take the most pride in. It's certainly a group effort, and having others that see potential and learn from each other is something that gives me the motivation to keep going and improving. It's not a small, single event, but seeing a character really grow in the hands of capable players makes me smile. I think the character still has a long way to go, and I hope we can really take Pokémon Trainer even higher.

I've never felt that dropping Pokémon Trainer would be a good idea. That goes for my tournament record and my enjoyment of the game in general. I've never been bored with Pokémon Trainer, and that keeps me motivated, too. While I've certainly wondered if getting other characters to dual-main or secondaries to help with tough matchups will work well (and I'm sure it would/will), I still see a lot of potential in Pokémon Trainer. I think he is competitive-viable, and I intend to prove that.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Who would win in a battle: Metaknight or Metagross?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
what is the name of the little segments that you can do in the games where you double battle the reporter and cameraman and then on the tv they do a little report where you pick one word and they are like "if you could describe that battle in one word he described it as blank" and i usually used some silly word like "swallow" or "spit up"

that should be the title of this

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
what is the name of the little segments that you can do in the games where you double battle the reporter and cameraman and then on the tv they do a little report where you pick one word and they are like "if you could describe that battle in one word he described it as blank" and i usually used some silly word like "swallow" or "spit up"

that should be the title of this
I don't remember, haha.

Good thing my MD pic is so cuuuuute.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Why do I often times feel that Ivysaur is better than Charizard o.O
Because that's the case in at least a fair amount of matchups, I think; at least, one does as well as the other, and so if your preference is Ivysaur, that will show.

I think they're pretty close together as far as how good they are, so it's just bound to happen, I guess. I quite prefer Ivysaur, myself.

Who would win in a battle: Metaknight or Metagross?
Metagross, unless Shuttle Loop gets flinch hax every time.

Reflex, can you make Zigsta make the OP more colorful?
I can try, and that would answer the question.

Apparently, color would be pleasing to the eye in the OP.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I can't believe I hadn't asked this yet:

How did you come up with the name "Reflex"?

StarGalaxy777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarGalaxy
Do you ever try to go on wifi and show PTs some combos

basically demonstrate on how to properly use PT?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
who is your role PT role model?
Never had one. I just like the character a whole lot. I hardly ever watch videos, so I didn't really have anyone to look up to. I learned most things from scratch.

Do you ever try to go on wifi and show PTs some combos

basically demonstrate on how to properly use PT?
I go on WiFi once every couple months thinking, "It's not -that- bad, is it?" Then, I'm frustrated and disappointed and get off quickly.

Just watch videos if you want a visual component. It's the most reliable way if you don't have a fellow PT main to show you stuff.

I can't believe I hadn't asked this yet:

How did you come up with the name "Reflex"?
Where did you get the name 'Reflex' from?
It's really not so spectacular; in fact, it doesn't even make that much sense. The idea comes from the fact that I learn and adapt to things very quickly; so quickly and without stress that it almost seems like a reflex.

TheReflexWonder (no spaces) is an extension of that. I think it sounds cool. It's almost like a superhero name, hah.

And, if anyone cares, my physical reflexes aren't particularly good unless I'm really focused on the cause of them. I guess I'm a fraud. :p

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Dang, I can't believe I asked the same question Dre did, haha.

I find the Alabama Brawl scene to be a very interesting one. There's particular characters on your power rankings--Bowser, anyone?--that are hard to find anywhere else. There's been 4 newcomers to the PR, one of whom took 5th. How would you evaluate your state when it comes to Brawl?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
reflex, what do you think PT's hardest matchups are? what do you do to get around them, whether it be with PT or with another character?

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Next up is Toby.

Once Reflex answers those last two questions, I'll post all the questions and answers in a single post and link to it on the OP.

Top Bottom