• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf on the Ledge- A Guide [Status: The Truth About Planking]

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
This guide is written to list all the options that Ganondorf has when he's on the ledge. Ganondorf is actually a decent off-stage fighter, but people typically dismiss it because of his poor and seemingly limited options once he's hanging on the ledge. The fact that Ganondorf can't ledgedrop and double jump onto the stage without some type of input further solidifies this belief. This shortcoming, however, doesn't stop the fact that Ganondorf has plenty of options at his disposal. Here's the list of ledge options:

*NOTE: Ganondorf has 8 frames of RCO lag when he recovers with Flame Choke and 16 frames of RCO lag when he recovers with Dark Dive. Keep this in mind when you're returning to the stage*

**SECOND NOTE: Using Flame Choke to grab the ledge will replace the RCO lag from recovering with Dark Dive to the RCO lag from recovering with Flame Choke, even if Ganondorf uses Dark Dive to grab the ledge afterwards (Thanks to PK-ow! for this information)**

• Ledgedrop onto stage [Airdodge]
    There are two ways to airdodge onto the stage; which method to use is up to you.
    - Tap and hold the control stick down and toward the stage. Immediately after tapping the control stick, press the jump button, followed by the shield button. The result will be Ganondorf airdodging onto the stage.
    -Slightly press the control stick downward and then move the control stick up and toward the stage. Immediately after tapping the control stick, press the jump button. At the peak of the mid-air jump, press the shield button. The resulting motion will look as close to Ganondorf jumping from the ledge to the stage as you can get.

• Ledgedrop onto stage [Flipman] (All credit goes to Z1gma for the original discovery)
    This is, by far, the most useful aerial to return to the stage with. Getting this consistantly, however, is very difficult. There are two ways to perform this method, the first method demonstrated by Z1gma, the second method is my personal method. Both methods are viable, but I'd trust Z1gma's method if you're trying this out for the first time:
    - Slightly press the control stick downward and immediately move the control stick up and toward the stage. Immediately after pressing the control stick, press the jump button, followed by the attack button.
    -Tap the control stick away from the stage, and then quickly rotate it counter-clockwise toward the stage. Immediately after you tap the control stick, press the jump button. When the control stick is directed upward (which should be very close to when you tap it away from the stage), press the attack button.

• Ledgedrop onto stage [Nair]
    This is, in my opinion, the hardest aerial to return to the stage with, but its multi-hit and lingering aspects makes it a very good move to use.
    - Slightly press the control stick downward. Immediately afterwards, press the jump button while bringing the control stick back to the neutral position. At this point, press the attack button while pressing the control stick up and toward the stage.

• Ledgedrop onto stage [Fair]
    Ganondorf's Fair has very good knockback, making it a natural candidate to return to the stage with. As a note, you can hit an opponent on a platform in Battlefield with this move, but the opponent has to be teetering over the edge. This is just a testament to the range of this move.
    -Slightly press the control stick downward and then quickly rotate it toward the stage. Immediately press the jump button and then press the attack button after the control stick is toward the stage. This all has to be done in quick succession or else the hitbox won't come out while you're stuck with all the lag...

• Ledgedrop onto stage [Bair]
    This aerial can also land Ganon on the stage laglessly. However, I do not know how to pull that off (laglessly, that is).
    - Slightly press the control stick down and toward the stage. Immediately press the jump button and tap the C-stick away from the stage while moving the control stick upward.

• Ledgedrop onto stage [Dair]
    This is, in my opinion, the easiest aerial to return to the stage with, but also the least useful. If you do hit with this aerial, though, it will hit with the sourspot hitbox and do 17% of damage.
    - Tap and hold the control stick down and toward the stage. Immediately after tapping the control stick, press the jump button, followed by the attack button.

• Ledgedrop onto stage [Aerial Flame Choke]
    This is a relatively new discovery, so the instructions might not be ideal. Once this technique is perfected, though, the exact timing will be determined.
    - Slightly press the control stick downward and immediately press the jump button (Do not DI toward the stage). At the peak of your mid-air jump, Flame Choke toward the stage. If done correctly, Ganondorf will Aerudo onto the stage with the soft landing lag associated with the move. It is imperative that you do not DI toward the stage because if you do so on some stages, you will kill yourself. Details of these stages will be listed later.

• Side-B Stalling and Finicky Stages
    Since there are 8 frames less RCO lag if you recover with Side-B than if you use up-B, it's recommended that you ledgedrop and press side-B to recover to the stage. Since the opponent can end up getting Ganoncided if he tries to hit you, this can end up being a nice surprise. If you do try to do this, though, do it as fast as you possibly can or else the opponent can simply edgehog you and you will fall to your death.

There is another method that involves using Ganon's Flame Choke. Ganondorf's Side-B has a snapping feature that reduces the amount of time that Ganondorf is vulnerable offstage. The "snap-box" of this move is actually a little bit below where Ganondorf's arms are while he performs a Flame Choke, so it's recommended that you wait a little bit after tapping the control stick before you jump.

There are several stages where you cannot DI toward or away from the stage and return using side-B. If you do, Ganondorf will Flame Choke under the ledge and kill himself. :( However, the second method of side-B stalling is still entirely valid since Ganon is only moving vertically and not horizontally in that method. The stages are:
    -Final Destination
    -Delfino Plaza (moving stage)
    -Halberd (moving stage)
    -Lylat Cruise
    -Pokemon Stadium 1
    -Brinstar
    -Norfair

• Reverse Side-B Stalling
    On certain stages, Ganondorf can ledgedrop, DI toward the stage, and then use a reverse side-B to snap the ledge. The stages where Ganondorf can do this are:
    -Battlefield
    -Smashville
    -Halberd (moving stage)
    -Lylat Cruise
    -Pokemon Stadium 1
    -Brinstar
    -Norfair

• Ledge Planking
    Ganondorf can ledgedrop, attack with either uair or bair, and then snap onto the ledge using Side-B's snapping mechanics. This has the effect of repelling opponents onto the stage while leaving Ganon with as little vulnerability as possible.
    -With Uair, it's recommended that you tap the control stick away from the stage, then press the jump button while quickly rotating the control stick counter-clockwise toward the stage. When the control stick is facing upwards (which should be soon after Ganondorf drops from the ledge), press the attack button to perform the uair. Once the uair is finished, press side-B to snap onto the ledge (Ganon will not grab the ledge unless you snap it with side-B). This process has to be done quickly or else Ganondorf will not grab the ledge.
    - With Bair, tap the control stick away from the stage, then immediately jump and press the C-stick away from the stage. While you're pressing the C-stick, press the control stick toward the stage. Once Ganon's bair finishes, press side-B to snap onto the ledge.

• Ledge Planking with Reverse Side-B Snapping
    On some stages, Ganondorf can combine his Ledge Planking with reverse side-B stalling to effectively increase the range where he can hit his opponents on the stage. Those stages are:
    -Battlefield
    -Smashville
    -Halberd (moving stage)
    -Brinstar
    -Norfair

• Ledgehop into instant double-jump (All credit goes to DAD for his efforts)
    All characters can instantly double-jump out of a ledgehop to cancel out the ledgehop's momentum. Since Ganondorf has the shortest double-jump in the game, though, this ability has greater implications on Ganon's ledge game than the other characters. This method is performed by jumping when you see Ganondorf's shins pass the ledge. If done correctly, Ganondorf will double-jump and then grab the ledge if no directional input was given. Other options can be done from a ledgehop with the same timing. These include:
    - Attacking (Uair or Nair are recommended since they come out the quickest)
    - Aerial Flame Choke (if done correctly, Ganon's Flame Choke will have a soft landing, which has significantly less lag than a hard landing.

• Ledge Frame Data (All credit goes to Big O for the Data)
    Frame Data for Ledge Attacks [Attacking Frames/Completion Frames]:
    Ledge Attack Under 100 ...24-28/54...(Invincible on frames 1-21)
    Ledge Attack At 100+ ...37-40/68...(Invincible on frames 1-40)

Frame Data for Ledge Rolls [Invincibility Frames/Completion Frames]:
    Ledge Climb Under 100% ...1-22/33
    Ledge Jump Under 100% ...1-11/11
    Ledge Roll Under 100% ...1-25/48
    Ledge Climb At 100+ ...1-49/58
    Ledge Jump At 100+ ...1-19/19
    Ledge Roll At 100+ ...1-60/78

• How well can Ganondorf really plank? (All credit goes to DMG's planking thread for the frame data)

With physical data about characters on the ledge known, it can be determined how well, on a technical standpoint, Ganondorf can plank. This is the data for characters on the ledge, provided by DMG's planking thread:

- Ledge invincibility: 1-46 (This is correct for most of the cast. There are some exceptions to this like Pikachu and Tethers)
    - Minimum Time on Ledge: 24 frames (The 25th frame you can do stuff like ledge attack, ledge jump, ledge roll, etc. You cannot drop down from the edge on this frame) (This is the Same for everyone, only a few exceptions to this)
    - You cannot buffer a ledge drop, hence frame 25 being unusable for ledge drop.
    - Maximum invincibility after ledge drop: 21 (This is for everyone)

-You can only re-grab the ledge after 30 frames from letting go. For tethers it's like 1 frame.
    -You cannot buffer a ledge drop. So you have to be frame perfect on the ledge drop if you want to take advantage of every invincibility frame.
    -Invincibility frames start as soon as the character does their ledge reach animation. For tether users, they start when their tether is fully retracted.
    So when Ganondorf drops from the ledge, he has 21 frames that he can perform an action while being invincible. What does this translate to with options?

-Ganondorf can DJ and perform any aerial while being invincible. The entire hitbox for every aerial except for the last frame of Dair are invincible. In addition, if Ganondorf performs every action perfectly, Ganon can perform the second hit of Nair on the last frame that he is invincible.
    -For edgeguarding purposes, Ganondorf can perform a Tipman (weak hit of Uair) while being invincible, meaning he can gimp other characters approaching the edge without worrying about being hit himself.
    -The first two frames of Aerial Side-B's hitbox are invincible, which means if you time it perfectly, you can grab an opposing character with Side-B while being invincible. Considering how close to the ledge you have to be to do this, though, performing this is highly unfeasible.

On Z1gma's request, I am considering writing some things about offensive Ganon near to or on the ledge, perhaps some things that about edgeguarding from the ledge. However, since I'm not particularly knowledgeable about edgeguarding, I would need your input on the matter.

This concludes the guide on Ganondorf on the ledge. Special thanks to Z1gma, DAD, Big O and Bahamut for their contributions to the thread. If there are any options that I left out, please tell me so I can add the information in the thread.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
*soft clapping*

Good show, old boy.

There's also ledgejump into Aerudo. Takes a bit of practice, but definitely easier than ledgedrop into Aerudo.

Safety depends on scenario. Your ledgedrop technique has Ganon start the move offstage, whereas the ledgejump technique has him begin closer.

You must also say about the Aerudo glitch. Using Aerudo overrides the Dark Dive lag, even if you use Dark Dive after that.

What would make this thread swwweet would be .gifs for Flipman and reverse side-B stalling.

Also, you *can* Aerudo onto Halberd and Delfino Plaza if you account for the movement, and honestly, I think a Ganon player just has to get the balls to do it in tourney. Aerudo stall on those stages, I mean.

It just looks really impressive and it steels my nerves.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Nice job :D

I think it also may be worth mentioning that if you buffer an Fair from a ledgehop, then buffer an air dodge+double jump, then you get an ISJR and can FoG or short hop aerial or whatever. I've been trying to apply it to my game and it seems to have its uses, especially when edgeguarding Snake :p

Clai

Smash Lord
There's also ledgejump into Aerudo. Takes a bit of practice, but definitely easier than ledgedrop into Aerudo.
Other options can be done from a ledgehop with the same timing. These include:
- Aerial Flame Choke (if done correctly, Ganon's Flame Choke will have a soft landing, which has significantly less lag than a hard landing.
I wanted to have all of Ganon's ledgehop options in one bullet since they all have the same timing.

You must also say about the Aerudo glitch. Using Aerudo overrides the Dark Dive lag, even if you use Dark Dive after that.
Is this true? I had no idea about this glitch.

What would make this thread swwweet would be .gifs for Flipman and reverse side-B stalling.
I'm not sure how we can get .gifs for that, but that's the reason why I have the video guide to go along with it.

Also, you *can* Aerudo onto Halberd and Delfino Plaza if you account for the movement, and honestly, I think a Ganon player just has to get the balls to do it in tourney. Aerudo stall on those stages, I mean.
However, the second method of side-B stalling is still entirely valid since Ganon is only moving vertically and not horizontally in that method.
Technically you can Aerudo stall on all of the stages, I just listed the ones where it's not recommended since the traditional methods might get you killed.

Nice job :D

I think it also may be worth mentioning that if you buffer an Fair from a ledgehop, then buffer an air dodge+double jump, then you get an ISJR and can FoG or short hop aerial or whatever. I've been trying to apply it to my game and it seems to have its uses, especially when edgeguarding Snake :p
I'm a bit hesitant to include FoG stuff in this guide because if the opponent is on the stage, he can easily interrupt any attempt to do that kind of stuff. I'll consider it as I continue to add stuff to the guide, though.

When time permits, I'll add info about walk-offs and the Aerudo .gif, as well as that glitch as long as it's true. Also, cookie to the first person that notes the discovery in the video that I haven't mentioned yet.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
Ledge to Warlock Punch? Sick stuff. I'd love to see that in use.

Overall, this is a good thread. I love Ganon on the ledge, but I couldn't do anything above because I couldn't find simple instructions. Maybe I can go practice this stuff.

:034:

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
I've gotten to the point where I never go onstage if I have leftover RCO lag from Dark Dive. I always just ledge drop and regrab with side B so I cut it in half. And I highly recommend it to all Ganons.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Clai, you could write about Edge Guarding while hanging on the ledge.
Also, Invincibility Frames and stuff that you get from the ledge.

For example... Ledge drop -> DJ regrab -> Ledgedrop Uair.
It's pretty much the only thing that can beat Shuttle Loop thx to the Invincibility Frames you get.

And I must say I'm impressed in how you can pull off that "Ledgedrop Gerudo -> Stage" so consistantly.

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord

It's pretty much the only thing that can beat Shuttle Loop thx to the Invincibility Frames you get.

And I must say I'm impressed in how you can pull off that "Ledgedrop Gerudo -> Stage" so consistantly.
I found it pretty easy actually. I didn't get it my first time, but every time after that I get it about 3/4 of the time :O

Clai

Smash Lord

Edgeguarding is my weakest area, so I wouldn't have the knowledge to write an "offensive" Ganon on the ledge segment. If other people want to add segments about fighting off-stage, I'm all for it, but I'm not the type of person that would give that information.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Ledge drop -> Through stage fair -> Dark Dive recover is a lot safer than actually Fairing on stage.

Bahamut777

Smash Ace
Looks like I've got practice to do!

*fades to the darkness do train the Dark Arts of Evil Ledgegaming*

BTW, thanks for using my pics. I'm honored! =D

Clai

Smash Lord
Sorry for taking so long to update this thread with the ledge frame data, but it's up here now, along with the other points people brought up in this thread.

I'd like to further discuss edgeguarding and how Ganondorf can use the ledge in his favor. Ganondorf does have a stellar offstage game, and he definately has ways to prevent his opponents from grabbing the edge themselves.

Bahamut777

Smash Ace
I know we have a Q&A thread, but I think my question is enough on-topic to ask here...

What should we do when there is some 4zzh0L3 on the stage, using lagless DTilts/DSmashes/DAirs with hitbox enough to hit you?

If you roll, you'll be punished, if you edgedrop, you'll be punished, if you edge jump, you'll be punished... what then?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Good update.

It'd be great if you could get Frame Data on how many Invinciframes we get when grabbing the ledge, as well as how many frames you 'must' hang before you can take action.

Also, how many frames it takes for Ganon to simply Ledge Drop.

@HomE

Smash Ace
I know we have a Q&A thread, but I think my question is enough on-topic to ask here...

What should we do when there is some 4zzh0L3 on the stage, using lagless DTilts/DSmashes/DAirs with hitbox enough to hit you?

If you roll, you'll be punished, if you edgedrop, you'll be punished, if you edge jump, you'll be punished... what then?
Well make sure to ledge drop and regrab with a Gerudo to take off some of the RCO (i usually do this several times for teh mindgames)...

One thing i have been experimenting with was the IDJ (Instant Double jump) from the ledge.. for example you are hanging on the left side of the stage(the X on the exmaple below) if after you input the ledge jump you Immediately jump again WHILE holding left (or away from the stage depending on the side you are on) it puts you in a position(Z on the example below) where i feel you have more options, and could possibly lure your opponent into doing something not so smart..

----z---- __________
--------x\
-----------\

Bahamut777

Smash Ace
@ @HomE: But will it be far enough to not be hit by the attack? I.E. G&W's DTilt spam edgeguard =/

Top Bottom