• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario's Week 22 Matchup Discussion: Luigi

Padô

Smash Lord
I'm back from the beach guys and with more match-up discussions :) I wish everyone a succesful 2010. :)

This week we are paying attention to:

WEEGEE, Mr. L, Luigi

Good discussion!

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Biglou makes me fear this character even when other people play luigi.

DONT EVER THINK YOU ARE SAFE AT 80% HIS FSMASH TILTED UP WILL KILL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dont get uptilted at low health
Dont airdodge after the first down throw you will get *****. just jump away.
try not to challenge his moves he out ranges you most of the time :(
Fsmash is really good for dealing damage here. If he shields it, he will slide far enough back so he cant punish you.
Ftilt is good for killing and its good for spacing (ide save it for the kill thought)
Get luigi above you he doesnt have many options. juggle juggle
Bair is good for spacing.
Dair is good but his moves can go through it. best used when his shield is up.
never rush in with bike just break it and use the tires.
his tornado is hard to punish so just shield it and he will retreat when its almost over. I dont think anything you have can beat it.
Clap does really good damage while juggling
the kill: get him in the air and predict an airdodge fart on him after.
Ftilt kills really well. when he is on the edge i would Ftilt and hope he jumps or something, if he gets up and shields it he will slide right back onto the edge.

Overall 50:50. Luigi has really annoying priority and can **** us at low health. but we can juggle and kill easier then he can kill us (if you watch out for the Fsmash you will live much longer)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
6/4 Wario.

Camping Luigi works. Do it right.

He can't realistically catch you on most stages, but that's up to you to play that well.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
PX beat him (still kinda close), and that's without camping. I think Boss would agree on 6/4 Wario, maybe 55:45 being conservative.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I think it's more like 55:45 for Wario, but I've never camped a Luigi, so all I have to go by is good space/punish/aggro.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Uh... bite is amazing in this matchup, the only two moves better than it are shieldgrab and ftilt in that order.

His low range and crappy movement speed means if you space his first aerial correctly and then do an approaching bite, he can't avoid it. Only Cyclone will beat it all the time. Ftilt literally beats or trades hits with every single move in his arsenal, so start throwing it around when he's at kill percentage if you've kept it fresh, otherwise use it to edgeguard. Well spaced upairs of ours also beat out his aerials, and our fair is as good for poking him as anyone else. Try not to challenge him too much in the ground, that's where his priority lies.

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
Everytime I try and punish his aerials with anything but Upair or Bair I get a Nair to the face. I've played some super defensive Luigis and I just don't know how to hit them with anything but Upair, Bair, Ftilt, and full hop Dair. I stay pretty much exclusively to these moves until I get them to kill percent.

Any videos? It's not that I don't believe you, I just have a hard time seeing how to use bite correctly.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Everytime I try and punish his aerials with anything but Upair or Bair I get a Nair to the face. I've played some super defensive Luigis and I just don't know how to hit them with anything but Upair, Bair, Ftilt, and full hop Dair. I stay pretty much exclusively to these moves until I get them to kill percent.

Any videos? It's not that I don't believe you, I just have a hard time seeing how to use bite correctly.
When he jumps at you and attack just press B.

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
I just went into training mode to see what beats bite and now I feel stupid. The only moves that beat bite are Fsmash, Tornado and Fair. I don't understand why I always fail to land anything other than a mind game bite or a bite to intercept his Luigi missle.

I just watched Dynomite vs BigLou and he only landed 4 bites through the entire set. He attempted more than he landed. Is there some other reason that it might be hard to land one?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
No. BigLou just gets into dyno's head REALLY bad, haha. If you're not using it predictably they should have a very difficult time avoiding it. Just make sure to notice if they like to hit the ground airdodging so you know whether to hold the move out longer or not.

Sadly my set vs Boss wasn't recorded, it was pretty epic.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
I just watched Dynomite vs BigLou and he only landed 4 bites through the entire set. He attempted more than he landed. Is there some other reason that it might be hard to land one?
If you watched the set of me vs biglou that was uploaded Feb of 09 then that was then i have only used wario for 4 months. i did not know anything about the matchup.

Most recent one

Gichan

Smash Champion
Masky has some good input about Luigi. His priority kills me man, like his jab goes through anything. And PX, I even find his prioirty kill me in the air, not just the ground.

and I guess bite has to be utilized a little more, and in an unpredictable fashion.

I hate luigi's movement in the air, he can do so many moves and that nair just comes out too fast, so anytime I try to approach, it's just a nair to the face.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
He can't move in the air, he's practically stationary while airborne. Learn to poke him and space your upairs. Nair is gay though.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Biglou makes me fear this character even when other people play luigi.

DONT EVER THINK YOU ARE SAFE AT 80% HIS FSMASH TILTED UP WILL KILL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dont get uptilted at low health
Dont airdodge after the first down throw you will get *****. just jump away.
try not to challenge his moves he out ranges you most of the time :(
Fsmash is really good for dealing damage here. If he shields it, he will slide far enough back so he cant punish you.
Ftilt is good for killing and its good for spacing (ide save it for the kill thought)
Get luigi above you he doesnt have many options. juggle juggle
Bair is good for spacing.
Dair is good but his moves can go through it. best used when his shield is up.
never rush in with bike just break it and use the tires.
his tornado is hard to punish so just shield it and he will retreat when its almost over. I dont think anything you have can beat it.
Clap does really good damage while juggling
the kill: get him in the air and predict an airdodge fart on him after.
Ftilt kills really well. when he is on the edge i would Ftilt and hope he jumps or something, if he gets up and shields it he will slide right back onto the edge.

Overall 50:50. Luigi has really annoying priority and can **** us at low health. but we can
juggle and kill easier then he can kill us (if you watch out for the Fsmash you will live much longer)
Aw :( I don't get mentioned at all?

To be honest I do think that the match-up is dead even, but I don't have much to say about it. Like everyone's said, Wario has priority problems against Luigi. You have to figure out if the Luigi is walling you out or if he's going aggro.

I've been told that f-tilt beats out everything Luigi has on the ground, which is probably true, but I've been able to land a couple of f-smashes on a well spaced f-tilt anyway. Not too sure what to believe though. :/

Here's a couple of videos that will hopefully help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdcuoHVl3MM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1-SPY0mcCk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrERdh6m9bk&feature=related (old)

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Your luigi is pretty nasty scatt. but i have never vsed your luigi with my wario. lou has scared be too bad :(

BigLøu

Smash Lord
Well im going to put in my 2 cents on this matchup even though I think everythings been said already. I think it's either even or slightly in warios favor. Wario can move in and out while in the air dominating luigis horrible horizonatl motion.

Not only that, but on the ground unless the luigi player is perfect at powershielding wario players can safely forward smash him since his low traction with push him away from punishing wario. Wario players need to be careful when getting grabbed and not hold up to break out and cause him to air release, because wario will eat an up angled forward smash which is brutal.

Pretty much everything else about this matchup for luigi is similar to all other matchups, and that's don't let him get near and start comboing, watch out for nair since its a combo move and a kill move at decent percentages.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Well im going to put in my 2 cents on this matchup even though I think everythings been said already. I think it's either even or slightly in warios favor. Wario can move in and out while in the air dominating luigis horrible horizonatl motion.

Not only that, but on the ground unless the luigi player is perfect at powershielding wario players can safely forward smash him since his low traction with push him away from punishing wario. Wario players need to be careful when getting grabbed and not hold up to break out and cause him to air release, because wario will eat an up angled forward smash which is brutal.

Pretty much everything else about this matchup for luigi is similar to all other matchups, and that's don't let him get near and start comboing, watch out for nair since its a combo move and a kill move at decent percentages.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*leaves wario boards*

thanks lou, forgot to mention the up angled fsmash

Padô

Smash Lord
I got a big tie here guys...

I got 1 vote on 50:50, 1 on 55:45 and another on 60:40 Wario. Since then I'm requesting 2 or 3 more votes, could you please help me?

Here's mine:

Luigi has a pretty stupid aerials but, sometimes bait some of them is really easy, we can use our aerial mobility to jump away from Dair/Nair/Bair and land with an Uair for 16~17%.

Shieldgrabbing is very important on this matchup too so does the bite which have priority against some of his moves. For example... I love shieldgrabbing their Dair and don't even try to Shieldgrab fairs cause they will knock you a bit, retreat and you won't be able to grab it.

Those 2 points are not very determinant on this match and, as said before, if you space correctly and try to punish in the right time you can overcome it.

I found it really easy when we talk about edgeguarding. Wario's ability to punish Luigi's recovery is amazing, I think most of our moves will go through his recovery options. You can Dair his Tornado, fart on his headbutt/UpB or Bair/Nair, and it's really annoying. If he grabs the ledge it's almost a guaranteed bite, his get up is slow, his roll up is slow, his ledge attack sucks and if he jumps from the ledge you can clap/bite so he won't get back on stage without we racking up great damage.

AND REMEMBER, DO NOT Fsmash on his shield he'll tilt up a FSmash which kill at 90% so be careful, honestly I prefer to use FSmash on this match as I use against MK, VERY FEW times, and with 100% of chance to hit it.

Overall: 55:45

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
My advice is to shield grab a lot, and play more defensively. Similar to playing Jigglypuff.

Top Bottom