• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake vs. R.O.B.

Underload

Lazy
Discuss the R.O.B. matchup in here. Discussion is open indefinitely. Don't be afraid to post.

:snake::rob:

Bulletpoints:
  • You're easily matched camping wise by R.O.B., if you get behind in a match, expect a steep road back to victory.
  • Be wary of your grenade uses, R.O.B. has the ability to angle his laser toward your feet and blow up any shield dropped grenades. Be wary about grenade usage in general.
  • C4 and grabs work especially well in this matchup, try replacing some grenade usage with those two.
  • R.O.B.'s aerials can do a number on you while recovering. Fair gimps are fairly common, R.O.B. will constantly try to hit you with nair if you're recovering from above. Random bairs will hit you out of your recovery often, and uair can deal ~20% if you don't SDI out correctly.
  • R.O.B. is fairly predictable with lasers and gyros. Learn to powershield on command, it will save you plenty of trouble.
  • Dsmash is your worst enemy. Its uses are many; out of your dthrow techchase attempts, when you try and approach, and especially out of a spot dodge. Learn to SDI out.
  • R.O.B.'s spot dodge is spectacular, but predictable. Expect a fair amount of it, and expect him to take that route instead of rolling out of trouble. Rapid jabs and shielding until you see an opening for a grab are your best options.
  • Learn to space extremely well with ftilt and utilt, they'll save you from R.O.B.'s mediocre range at closer levels. His ftilt does have surprising range, though.
  • You'll probably want to ban Luigi's Mansion, and consider going to your most comfortable stage. There's no clear-cut counterpick stage due to R.O.B.'s inherent mechanical similarities to Snake.
  • General consensus is 55:45 in Snake's favor, but highly debatable.
Notable Posts:

lulz @ Yume's response.

K, so ROB? I'll be back....very soon to update this.
Edit: Okay, so I MAIN ROB...so believe me I know what I'm talkin' about!

Snake vs. ROB:
Snake side of the MU:
+Doesn't die till at least.....160% (ish)
+Grenades
+Kill moves (which have a possibility to be easily landed, on ROB)
+Can kill ROB at 120% (with C4, U-tilt, or maybe U-air)
+Snake does well in ROB blindspot. Using the following: U-air, U-tilt, U-smash, and sometimes B-air.
+Does A LOT better w/ platforms than ROB.
+Does good on every stage that's ROB does good on. (pretty much)
+Better CQC.

-Possibility that Snake can get juggled.
-His tilts are punishable by ROB.
-ROB has good tilts like Snake.
- (that's all I can think of for Snake's Negatives)

R.O.B. side of the MU:
+Can punish Snake's tilts.
+Possible to juggle Snake
+Laser helps interrupt Grenades/ D-smash, also helps interrupt Snake's camping.
+Gyro helps. Stops a good amount of Snake's approaches (if he decides to approach). Can stop grenades in their path.
+Possibility of gimping Snake.
+Better aerials.

-Dies very early.
-Doesn't do well with platforms.
-No ledge options. (to get back on the stage, after grabbing the edge)
-Can be edge guarded by Snake w/ ease.
-BIG blind spots, under him and diagonally under him; that Snake can take advantage of.
- (that's all I could think of)

Okay, Now the here's a Scenario, that happens most of the time in this MU:
The set just began, and both player have began camping. Personally, I think both characters can camp equally. And lets just say this match is taking place on FD. So anyway, both player have started camping. Couple grenades are thrown out, couple Gyros and laser are PSed. Then finally one of the 2, has been hit by to many projectiles...that they approach. This is where it all starts.
So lets say Snake approaches: Snakes approaches most of the time with grenades. As soon as he's under "ROB's Skin". This can cost ROB most of his stock....knowing he dies at about 120%.
F-tilt and other tilts may be punishable...but that's ON SHIELD or Side step>D-smash; making CQC for ROB difficult. This means the ROB player , if he's smart, will be trying to taking the fight into the air or off stage. And this is if he's smart. ROB will be doing this by trying to get grab, quick tilts, or aerials. Now if ROB screws this up, remember ROB's Blindspot. This could end bad for the ROB player....if his Blindspot is exposed. But in the end Snake could end up winning, with lots of diffiuculy, but it a win for Snake.

Now, lets say ROB approaches: This ends in the same result, Snake winning after lots of little problems. If ROB approaches and SOMEHOW end up under "Snake's Skin". I put "Somehow" in caps, because approaching and keeping up Snake can be very hard, especially w/ all of the grenades and other traps. Now the ROB could get get a grab or just get Snake in the air....which is Snake's weakness....but most Snakes aren't dumb...and probably wouldn't get juggled by ROBs. If ROB end up getting Snake off stage this could lead to a gimp, but Snake's recovery can overcome this lots of the time. ROB approaching ends up a win for Snake....."why?"; your probably thinking. Well okay think about it in overall terms. On the ground? This Snake area, because of his awesome CQC. In the air? This could possibly help ROB get some damage, but Snake will most likely will NOT get juggled. Off stage? Okay, so if your a ROB main or once were your thinking this is situation is in ROB's fav. Well, your right. This situation is probably the most advantages for ROB....this can lead to a gimp, a decent amount damage, or maybe some juggling.

Remember this is is if this is on a stage w/o platforms. With platforms....ROB could have even more trouble.

Overall MU:
*Equally camp each other.
*one of them approaches, mostly ends bad for ROB.
*A stage w/ platforms, I say could make this MU even at times, but mostly remains in Snake's fav.
*Snake approaches better, compared to ROB.
*Hard for ROB to take over Snake's Blindspot.
*Snake can easliy take advantage of ROB's Blindspot.
*ROB does better of stage/in the air. (but not that good)
*Snake ***** on the ground/ CQC.

MU ratio: 55:45 Snake's fav.
Sooo R.O.B...

I sorta know this matchup, so I'll just put down what I know.

Our Strength

In terms of killing power and CQC, Snake has a distinct advantage here. So if you can keep the fighting on the stage and avoid getting gimped, you should win most of the time. R.O.B. can't really combo that well, nor camp that well. You can react to his laser and gyro shot because of the long startup lag they have. And if you learn the distance of his glidetoss and what he can do from it its not that hard to avoid getting hurt by it. ROB has a major weakness below him, so if you can get him above you you can do some major hurting to him and poss a nice utilt/bair/uair kill.

His Strength

R.O.B. has the tools to gimp Snake with his gyro, laser, and of course, dair. If he gets you offstage and you DI wrong youll be in a world of hurt. His ftilt and dtilt our ranges our tilt iirc, and since they're faster he can punish your tilts well with them. He also have a really fast spot dodge and d-smash, theres like only a 1 frame lag from his spod dodge to d-smash.
Also, his bair and nair, albeit slow, has great range, duration, and priotity, plus his bair propells him forward. So don't be an idiot and charge after him trying to follow up, youll get hit.

What you should do.

The most important thing is to avoid getting hit offstage, try to keep the matcb on the stage. If he grabs you, hold the control stick up, that way youll be DI'ing his f-throw and b-throw the right way since theyre so quick. His dthrow and uthrow take a while to start up so you can react to them by diing left or right.

If you do get hit offstage, always recover high unless your 100% sure you can make it back on the ledge. His laser and gyro can hit you out of your second jump, leaving you helpless in your cypher and a really easy gimp target. if you do get in that position, cypher away from the stage, as close to the blast zone as possible, and C4 recover, dont be afraid to use it 2 or 3 times to get above him, its better to take 40 damage than getting gimped.

When your recovering from on high, ROB cant really juggle you that well. You can fast fall air dodge through his nair and bair since theyre so slow, just dont jump into ROB as you cant fast fall and will get hit. Footstooling ROB is a good idea since his u-air is so bad. ROB should never hit you with his Usmash because of its horrible range, just be smart, dont fall on him, use b-reversal, and you'll be fine, as his running speed is pretty bad.

As for ground combat, make sure that he's the one making the first move, since his dsmash and dtilt are really quick making them great punishers. You have to try to get inside him, powershield/shield his tilts and punish, but dont always do it as he can grab you. You shouldn't have a big problem killing him because of his floaty nature and big hurtbox. SH bair can his a standing ROB.

As for camping, ROB can laser your nades and blow them up. And his gyro is good for camping too. You want to approach him in this matchup, use nades wisely, perhaps a sh/dj nade pull would work if he doesn't expect it. You shouldn't use nikita as an attack in this match up, even if you hit him offstage, as he can just laser you and you'll lose control of the nikita.

ROB can approach and follow up using glide toss trick with his gyro, make sure to learn the distances and follow ups. And if you grab his gyro, throw it up, he cant throw one out again until it lands.

Tech chasing works well since you can react to everything cept for his f-roll.

So yeah, you need to play smartly in this one of you could suffer an early death by gimping, but if you can avoid that you will give him fits trying to kill you. Since his fsmash and usmash shouldnt hit you, nor his nair/bair since you can react to them.

Stages

I think Battlefield and Castleseige are great stages against ROB, you can combo him with the platforms as well as do C4/nade tricks with them. And on CS transformation 2 theres no way to get gimped.

I would ban Rainbow Cruise for obvious reasons, avoid FD too since he can camp pretty well there, although it isn't really that bad. I think YI should be avoided too, but maybe thats cuz I suck there =P.

Ratio

55:45 Snake or 60:40 Snake, play smart and avoid the gimps, and you have a good chance of winning this.
I "like" this matchup now. It's not that bad, and I've beaten ROBs like TeeVee, Chibo, Joebot, etc.
I believe it's 55:45 Snake. 60:40 may be pushing it. I just don't see how it can be 50:50 at this point. If the Snake player is good at avoiding getting tossed off stage at early %'s, ROB will never gimp him. Tech chasing ***** ROB at least 30% a grab usually.

Most ROBs just camp the left or right side of the stage and spam laser/gryo and hope you mess up your shielding. Just pull out a nade in between lasers and slowly approach while powershielding the lasers/gryos. Then go for a grab or ftilt, or if you're expecting the predictable spot dodge to dsmash, punish that xd.

The only problem is if ROB starts planking. You could risk a surprise Bair off stage, or shield drop nades, etc if you're behind. If you're winning, run all the way across stage and gg xd. Overall, Snakes favor. Just don't mess up at early %s and get tossed off stage because that's where ROB beats Snake.
Okay, so I have some long overdue input for this thread. Just yesterday, I got a few friendlies in with Colorado's local R.O.B. player, Bees. He's quite good, and since our matches are still fresh in my head, I'll take the time to post my thoughts.

There's three x-factors in this matchup.

+ Snake's ability to use grenades both sparingly, and correctly. R.O.B. has the ability to avoid badly cooked grenades, and punish sloppy use lasers, which usually ends up with a grenade blowing up at your feet / in your face. Snakes can become extremely habitual with their grenade use, that's also important to note. Smart players (not just R.O.B.s) will not all your habits. The best ones will notice the smallest problems and exploit them as much as possible.

+ Snake's ability to win up-close encounters. There's two most likely outcomes to you and R.O.B. coming close to eachother. The first (with or without spotdodge) is a dsmash. Knowing the powershield timing is always fantastic, but if you happen to get caught in one, learn the correct way to SDI out. You'll land right next to R.O.B. (either on the same side or the other), which leads to an easy punish. The second is a simple "oh man tilts, gotta run away" tactic. Don't over-extend yourself with a DACUS. If you have to chase, just go for a regular dash attack. If you're hypothetically in the very middle of FD (no ledges or platforms), then take the time and learn your opponent's running / spacing / rolling habits for later. Knowing habits in general is very important for Snake.

+ Snake's ability to repel R.O.B.'s camping game. See how all three sum up distanced and up-close play together? Clever me. Anyway, R.O.B. has two dimensions to his projectile camping, gyro and laser. The answer to gyro is simple. Shield button. Dash -> shield will get rid of gyros spinning on the ground, and the timing for a powershield is pretty simple. Never pursue offstage (especially with a fair, what's wrong with you?), and watch for the offstage charged gyro shot. It seems to be a popular choice. Lasers are more tricky. If you're expecting a laser, for God's sake, don't pull a nade. Ever. Live out of your shield like a homeless man lives out of a cardboard box (oh the irony), and you should be fine.
I wanna note that f-tilting the gyro can remove the hitbox for it. Then throw it up in the air so ROB can't pull another.
It's pretty much an even camping game. All ROB has are his lasers and gyro. Both are easy to powershield on reaction. If you throw nades in between you can out camp ROB. Pulling out Nades in between lasers is really easy to do. Of course, ROB can deal with your nades too. So it's basically whoever makes the first camping mistake loses the camp war. Snake doesn't need to be massively aggressive. The matchup isn't as bad as you make it sound. I think the only real problem is getting gimped, which is pretty easy to avoid now anyway.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
lulz @ Yume's response.

Snake vs. ROB:
Snake side of the MU:
+Grenades
+Snake does well in ROB blindspot. Using the following: U-air, U-tilt, U-smash, and sometimes B-air.
+Better CQC.

R.O.B. side of the MU:
+Gyro helps. Stops a good amount of Snake's approaches (if he decides to approach). Can stop grenades in their path.
+Better aerials.

-Dies very early.
-BIG blind spots, under him and diagonally under him; that Snake can take advantage of.

The set just began, and both player have began camping. Personally, I think both characters can camp equally. And lets just say this match is taking place on FD. So anyway, both player have started camping. Couple grenades are thrown out, couple Gyros and laser are PSed. Then finally one of the 2, has been hit by to many projectiles...that they approach. This is where it all starts.
So lets say Snake approaches: Snakes approaches most of the time with grenades. As soon as he's under "ROB's Skin". This can cost ROB most of his stock....knowing he dies at about 120%.
F-tilt and other tilts may be punishable...but that's ON SHIELD or Side step>D-smash; making CQC for ROB difficult. This means the ROB player , if he's smart, will be trying to taking the fight into the air or off stage. And this is if he's smart. ROB will be doing this by trying to get grab, quick tilts, or aerials. Now if ROB screws this up, remember ROB's Blindspot. This could end bad for the ROB player....if his Blindspot is exposed. But in the end Snake could end up winning, with lots of diffiuculy, but it a win for Snake.

Now, lets say ROB approaches: This ends in the same result, Snake winning after lots of little problems. If ROB approaches and SOMEHOW end up under "Snake's Skin". I put "Somehow" in caps, because approaching and keeping up Snake can be very hard, especially w/ all of the grenades and other traps. Now the ROB could get get a grab or just get Snake in the air....which is Snake's weakness....but most Snakes aren't dumb...and probably wouldn't get juggled by ROBs. If ROB end up getting Snake off stage this could lead to a gimp, but Snake's recovery can overcome this lots of the time. ROB approaching ends up a win for Snake....."why?"; your probably thinking. Well okay think about it in overall terms. On the ground? This Snake area, because of his awesome CQC. In the air? This could possibly help ROB get some damage, but Snake will most likely will NOT get juggled. Off stage? Okay, so if your a ROB main or once were your thinking this is situation is in ROB's fav. Well, your right. This situation is probably the most advantages for ROB....this can lead to a gimp, a decent amount damage, or maybe some juggling.

Remember this is is if this is on a stage w/o platforms. With platforms....ROB could have even more trouble.

Overall MU:
*A stage w/ platforms, I say could make this MU even at times, but mostly remains in Snake's fav.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Sooo R.O.B...

Our Strength

In terms of killing power and CQC, Snake has a distinct advantage here. So if you can keep the fighting on the stage and avoid getting gimped, you should win most of the time. R.O.B. can't really combo that well, nor camp that well. You can react to his laser and gyro shot because of the long startup lag they have. And if you learn the distance of his glidetoss and what he can do from it its not that hard to avoid getting hurt by it. ROB has a major weakness below him, so if you can get him above you you can do some major hurting to him and poss a nice utilt/bair/uair kill.

His Strength

R.O.B. has the tools to gimp Snake with his gyro, laser, and of course, dair. If he gets you offstage and you DI wrong youll be in a world of hurt. His ftilt and dtilt our ranges our tilt iirc, and since they're faster he can punish your tilts well with them. He also have a really fast spot dodge and d-smash, theres like only a 1 frame lag from his spod dodge to d-smash.
Also, his bair and nair, albeit slow, has great range, duration, and priotity, plus his bair propells him forward. So don't be an idiot and charge after him trying to follow up, youll get hit.

What you should do.

The most important thing is to avoid getting hit offstage, try to keep the matcb on the stage. If he grabs you, hold the control stick up, that way youll be DI'ing his f-throw and b-throw the right way since theyre so quick. His dthrow and uthrow take a while to start up so you can react to them by diing left or right.

If you do get hit offstage, always recover high unless your 100% sure you can make it back on the ledge. His laser and gyro can hit you out of your second jump, leaving you helpless in your cypher and a really easy gimp target. if you do get in that position, cypher away from the stage, as close to the blast zone as possible, and C4 recover, dont be afraid to use it 2 or 3 times to get above him, its better to take 40 damage than getting gimped.

When your recovering from on high, ROB cant really juggle you that well. You can fast fall air dodge through his nair and bair since theyre so slow, just dont jump into ROB as you cant fast fall and will get hit. Footstooling ROB is a good idea since his u-air is so bad. ROB should never hit you with his Usmash because of its horrible range, just be smart, dont fall on him, use b-reversal, and you'll be fine, as his running speed is pretty bad.

As for ground combat, make sure that he's the one making the first move, since his dsmash and dtilt are really quick making them great punishers. You have to try to get inside him, powershield/shield his tilts and punish, but dont always do it as he can grab you. You shouldn't have a big problem killing him because of his floaty nature and big hurtbox. SH bair can his a standing ROB.

As for camping, ROB can laser your nades and blow them up. And his gyro is good for camping too. You want to approach him in this matchup, use nades wisely, perhaps a sh/dj nade pull would work if he doesn't expect it. You shouldn't use nikita as an attack in this match up, even if you hit him offstage, as he can just laser you and you'll lose control of the nikita.

ROB can approach and follow up using glide toss trick with his gyro, make sure to learn the distances and follow ups. And if you grab his gyro, throw it up, he cant throw one out again until it lands.

So yeah, you need to play smartly in this one of you could suffer an early death by gimping, but if you can avoid that you will give him fits trying to kill you. Since his fsmash and usmash shouldnt hit you, nor his nair/bair since you can react to them.

Stages

I think Battlefield and Castleseige are great stages against ROB, you can combo him with the platforms as well as do C4/nade tricks with them. And on CS transformation 2 theres no way to get gimped.

I would ban Rainbow Cruise for obvious reasons, avoid FD too since he can camp pretty well there, although it isn't really that bad. I think YI should be avoided too, but maybe thats cuz I suck there =P.

Ratio

55:45 Snake or 60:40 Snake, play smart and avoid the gimps, and you have a good chance of winning this.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
lulz @ Yume's response.

Snake vs. ROB:
Snake side of the MU:

+Grenades
+Better CQC.

R.O.B. side of the MU:
+Better aerials.

-Dies very early.

Overall MU:

Sooo R.O.B...

Our Strength

His Strength

What you should do.

Stages

Ratio

LOLz, Yume did this pretty much same time I was. And, here are both of them.

Bleh, ROB.

Easy answer: Use MK.

Serious answer: I'll make one when I get home.
Your "easy answer" is right.
You could also use, G&W.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
I'm not sure there's a whole lot to add to what we already all knew. My response is, "It's even or a very slight advantage toward ROB, just Snake ends up winning anyway because the best Snake is better than the best ROB." :/ The way Holy keeps getting closer and closer, though, he might actually win a full set against his bro soon. :p

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
I realized a major flaw in our matchup discussions, we dont have any top Snakes contributing at all. If we're just gonna go by what me and Mizu says we're in deep trouble.

ALLLLLLLLYYYYYY HELP US WITH THIS MATCHUP I KNOW YOU KNOW THIS MATCHUP VERY WELL!!!!!!!111111

RATED

Smash Lord
this matchup is Dead even really really EVEN. Snake can use his Ground game but remember that a good rob will know how to evade those Ftilts, so sometimes in this Matchup do something "random" like a running grab instead of a Ftilt or jab, also remember to SDI ROB's downsmash. ROB **** us really badly offstage. Use granades carefully since he can punish it with his Lazors , gyro is annoying too. while Rob is in the air start throwing granades to RoB and then attack since his Nair has a huge hitbox if done properly and the instead he uses nair , he will hit granades.

Underload

Lazy
Thanks for the input so far. This thread's going into phase 2 (sounds so official, huh?) now, which is the post-spotlight discussion. I'll stress it again, all of these threads are open to discussion permanently, so if you have even a tiny thing to mention, I invite you to post it. Think of it as a sort of wiki, I guess. I'll edit new things into the OP when I see new replies, so don't worry about that.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
I realized a major flaw in our matchup discussions, we dont have any top Snakes contributing at all. If we're just gonna go by what me and Mizu says we're in deep trouble.

ALLLLLLLLYYYYYY HELP US WITH THIS MATCHUP I KNOW YOU KNOW THIS MATCHUP VERY WELL!!!!!!!111111
Lulz. :laugh:
Yea, I don't think Ally will see that he doesn't come on the Snake boards to often.

Turazrok

Smash Master
What happened to Ran? I can help with ROB. Later. Depends on if Sudai LOL NAMESEARCH!!!! LOL
comes to the tourney Saturday.

Sudai

Stuff here
Tura, you assume that if I go, I'll be playing brawl. :p

Nah, really though I wouldn't mind getting some games in with you so you can help contribute to the MU discussion.

napZzz

Smash Hero
What happened to Ran? I can help with ROB. Later. Depends on if Sudai LOL NAMESEARCH!!!! LOL
comes to the tourney Saturday.
ran is leaving for a short while thanks to the scrub invasion

this matchup is 5/5 just leave it at that

ROB Match up :/

I think it's a 55:45 Snake or even. What do you think about it a Ally?

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
I "like" this matchup now. It's not that bad, and I've beaten ROBs like TeeVee, Chibo, Joebot, etc.
I believe it's 55:45 Snake. 60:40 may be pushing it. I just don't see how it can be 50:50 at this point. If the Snake player is good at avoiding getting tossed off stage at early %'s, ROB will never gimp him. Tech chasing ***** ROB at least 30% a grab usually.

Most ROBs just camp the left or right side of the stage and spam laser/gryo and hope you mess up your shielding. Just pull out a nade in between lasers and slowly approach while powershielding the lasers/gryos. Then go for a grab or ftilt, or if you're expecting the predictable spot dodge to dsmash, punish that xd.

The only problem is if ROB starts planking. You could risk a surprise Bair off stage, or shield drop nades, etc if you're behind. If you're winning, run all the way across stage and gg xd. Overall, Snakes favor. Just don't mess up at early %s and get tossed off stage because that's where ROB beats Snake.

Underload

Lazy
Okay, so I have some long overdue input for this thread. Just yesterday, I got a few friendlies in with Colorado's local R.O.B. player, Bees. He's quite good, and since our matches are still fresh in my head, I'll take the time to post my thoughts.

There's three x-factors in this matchup.

+ Snake's ability to use grenades both sparingly, and correctly. R.O.B. has the ability to avoid badly cooked grenades, and punish sloppy use lasers, which usually ends up with a grenade blowing up at your feet / in your face. Snakes can become extremely habitual with their grenade use, that's also important to note. Smart players (not just R.O.B.s) will not all your habits. The best ones will notice the smallest problems and exploit them as much as possible.

+ Snake's ability to win up-close encounters. There's two most likely outcomes to you and R.O.B. coming close to eachother. The first (with or without spotdodge) is a dsmash. Knowing the powershield timing is always fantastic, but if you happen to get caught in one, learn the correct way to SDI out. You'll land right next to R.O.B. (either on the same side as before or on the other, either way right next to him), which leads to an easy punish. The second is a simple "oh man tilts, gotta run away" tactic. Don't over-extend yourself with a DACUS. If you have to chase, just go for a regular dash attack. If you're hypothetically in the very middle of FD (no ledges or platforms), then take the time and learn your opponent's running / spacing / rolling habits for later. Knowing habits in general is very important for Snake.

+ Snake's ability to repel R.O.B.'s camping game. See how all three sum up distanced and up-close play together? Clever me. Anyway, R.O.B. has two dimensions to his projectile camping, gyro and laser. The answer to gyro is simple. Shield button. Dash -> shield will get rid of gyros spinning on the ground, and the timing for a powershield is pretty simple. Never pursue offstage (especially with a fair, what's wrong with you?), and watch for the offstage charged gyro shot. It seems to be a popular choice. Lasers are more tricky. If you're expecting a laser, for God's sake, don't pull a nade. Ever. Live out of your shield like a homeless man lives out of a cardboard box (oh the irony), and you should be fine.

I'll edit in more later.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I wanna note that f-tilting the gyro can remove the hitbox for it. Then throw it up in the air so ROB can't pull another.

Something EY told me once.

Also, how exactly do you DI d-smash? Directly up right?

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
I honestly don't know much about this matchup, I haven't played it in idk how long in singles. In doubles though(I'm sure they use this tactic in singles too) the spot dodge dsmash shenanigans can be really annoying. Like UL said, learn to SDI and tech. However, if you read it, use dair, I personally found dair to be really useful in my doubles matches today against the ROB involved team I played today. You can hop right over the dsmash, and avoid other things like dtilt, etc etc, you guys know what you can hop over and what you can't.

So yeah, Dair, use it. Feel free to correct if you think otherwise, just my experience against buenob today.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Whats the point of SDIing his dsmash anyways? I mean it doesn't kill, you cant really SDI it until a certain damage anyways when it wont lead to combos. And ROB cant really juggle Snake that well.

Turazrok

Smash Master
The lasers... they're really annoying. You must learn to power shield. It recharges in around a second or something.

Underload

Lazy
I don't know the actual recharge time on R.O.B.'s lasers. I always just assumed it was after a few seconds. I might look that one up later. Interesting.

I don't know the actual recharge time on R.O.B.'s lasers. I always just assumed it was after a few seconds. I might look that one up later. Interesting.
It renews it self exactly every 1 second. So pretty much, he can fire a laser any time you draw a nade, which is what he should be doing. 20 seconds for the strong hit. But, we should be able to shield it on reaction.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
use d-tilt more, you craw under his ftilt, plus you can hit him back since d-tilt is his tilt with the most horizontal range. only ftilt-2 is longer.

XvCvX

Smash Rookie
I would say it's a 50-50. R.O.B. has (most of the time) better camping. Snake has worse air game, his mid/short rage game is better but can be problematical because his A combo clanks with F-tilt and he can start a new one before we can.... He can aim his F smash if he sees you crawling toward him... So yeah.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Isn't Nikita surprisingly good at gimping ROB (because he can't air dodge out of up b)? And ROB is a huge target to Nair in the air.

etecoon

Smash Hero
ROB can air dodge after performing an aerial, which he should have time to do usually considering nikita's start up time, it also doesn't have the trajectory to do what you would call gimping if they DI it right, it might actually help him recover in some cases.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Nikita sucks at gimping ROB because ROB can just shoot you with his laser and you lose control of the nikita.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
even though it cant Gimp, it is still very useful against many chars.
You can use it to get in the way of your opponent recovering.
You can use it when your opponent is on the ledge to take away options.

Top Bottom