• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Better version of the rdb file, still with [!]

firo

Smash Ace
I made a version of the rdb file that still contains the updates but retains the [!]. (The file really can be edited in notepad, so it was not too difficult. The same can be done with other games if you open the rdb in notepad, find the name of the game you want to change, and add the [!], then refresh the rom list)

Here is a link for it:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YFX7SIMP

For anyone wondering what this is about, putting a new project64.rdb file from the newer PJ64 versions back into PJ64k contains some settings that can optimize how ssb runs and reduce some lag. However, doing so removes the [!] from the rom and prevents those with the new file from playing with those who do not have it.

malva00

Smash Master
that's dumb all it takes is one person without it and it'll have the same start up lag problems if the person does have start up lag problems

changing to U is better for better chances of everyone changing

firo

Smash Ace
that's dumb all it takes is one person without it and it'll have the same start up lag problems if the person does have start up lag problems

changing to U is better for better chances of everyone changing
I originally thought that the performance increases were on each individual machine and that PJ64K would run better (even just slightly) regardless of what the other players have. I would think that if you had to play with players without the new rdb, having the new file would be better than not having it, but I might be mistaken. If there is no performance gain unless all players have the new rdb file, then there is not much use for this.

malva00

Smash Master
lol u think if someone lags everyone else won't lag?

it's common online ssb knowledge since the beginning of time

Battlecow

Play to Win
There's a new rdb file for Project 64k. If you download it and replace the old one with it, It's supposed to cut down on the amount of lag you get while playing online, even allowing a bunch of people to play on LAN with 60 keyframes per second without any lag. However, you needed to rename the rom from "Super Smash Bros. (U) [!]" to "Super Smash Bros. (U)" which made you unable to play with the people who weren't equipped with this shiny new RDB file (i.e. everyone) so you had to go back to your old PJ64k and play the normal way again. Firo's new update (apparently) allows you to obtain the benefits of the new RDB file without renaming it. Malva's gripe with this was that not everyone would change if they didn't have to change in order to play with the people who did change, and that there was no benefit unless all parties involved had the new RDB file (at least, that's how I understood it). Clear enough?

Untrust Us

Smash Journeyman
personally, I find this new rdb file to be the reincarnated form of Mupen.

The Star King

Smash Hero
personally, I find this new rdb file to be the reincarnated form of Mupen.
EXACTLY, I have a feeling that everyone will be too dumb to change.

On the other hand, people DID change to Exc, but I think that mostly happened when EGX died and the first people to come to Galaxy (who tended to be the more competetive ones) made it popular.

DMoogle

A$
I tried to get people to switch to LAN, but then I found out that I DS every 10-15 minutes with LAN, compared to every ~20 minutes with Excellent.

IIRC, the [!] means that there's something wrong with that ROM dump. Most of the time it doesn't affect the gameplay though.

Top Bottom