• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alberta Beatdown: March 6th - 7th

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Alberta Beatdown: March 6th - 7th​

Yup, WC Canada coming with it! Never heard of our players? Well that's because we're just too pro! Think that's a joke? Well come down to this and see how ****ed up you get.

Games that will be played:

Brawl
Melee
Street Fighter 4 (xbox 360)
Tekken 6 (ps3)

Smaller events include: TvC, MvC2 and Blazblue

General Info:

Location: 13223-62 St. Edmonton, Alberta, Canada http://belvederecl.com/

Start time:12pm sign ups start

End time: Whenever it ends

Venue Fee: $10
Entrance fee for Brawl Singles: $10
Entrance fee for Brawl Doubles: $20 per team
Entrance fee for Melee Singles:$10
Entrance fee for Melee Doubles:$20 per team

There will be a starter pot of $100 for Brawl singles (sorry melee, but that's the way she goes sometimes).

Pot division will be in a 60/30/10 fashion

Note: Entrance fee may go up depending on size of tournament.

Universal Rules & Guidelines

- Disrespectful and rowdy behavior will NOT be tolerated. This includes anything from overly aggressive or unsportsmanlike behavior to trashing the building or littering. Edmonton Gamers reserves the right to enforce forfeits in matches and may even ask you to leave the building if you do not cooperate.
- Hacks and mods (software and hardware alike) are not allowed unless they do not alter gameplay at all. Wireless controllers are not allowed.
- People with disabilities such as color blindness may request a specific color for their character / team to avoid problems.
- Pausing the game during a match as interference is not allowed during tournament matches.
- If there are disputes over controller ports, rock-paper-scissors will determine who chooses.
- Drugs and alcohol are prohibited.

Brawl Ruleset:

I just want to mention that here in Alberta, we like to be a little more liberal with our stage list. If you have a problem with the list, that's fine, but keep in mind if you really want something to change, you need to have a really good reason, and proof, not just "that stage is gay."

Brawl Stage List:

Starters:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Counter-picks:

Brinstar
Castle Siege
Delfino
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Norfair
Pictochat
Rainbow Cruise
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 1
Pokémon Stadium 2

- 3 Stock matches, 8:00 timer, items set to Off and None
- For doubles, Team Attack is ON, and stealing lives is allowed
- All bracket sets are best of 3 matches, except for Winner's Finals, Loser's Finals and Grand Finals, which are best of 5
- Brackets will be double elimination, with pools for seeding for singles.
- Rock-Paper-Scissors best-of-1 will be played before every set
* The winner may choose whether he wants to be able to choose controller port or to choose who strikes the first stage
* This also applies to doubles matches: only one game of Rock-Paper-Scissors needs to be played, and controller ports will then be chosen in a 1221 fashion
* Regardless of a timeout, if only one player made over 50 ledge grabs, he is given a loss for the match. Ledge grab count can be seen on the victory screen, and it is up to the player who did not exceed the limit to request to check it.
* If neither player exceeds 50 ledge grabs, or both do, the winner is the player with more stocks. If the stock count is tied, the winner is the player with the lower percentage. If this is tied, a one stock match will be played out.
- Metaknight's Infinite Dimensional Cape is banned.
- Stalling, defined as the act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict as to make the game unplayable, is banned.
* Infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 300%
- If any dispute that cannot be resolved by following these rules or any event that is believed to have broken one of these rules occurs, the TO should be called immediately.

Set Format:

* When starting a set, characters will be chosen in a double blind pick if one player calls it. The first stage will be selected by the stage striking procedure, in which players take turns striking stages from the list of starters until only one remains. Which player strikes first will be decided by the Rock-Paper-Scissors game at played at the beginning.
- After the first match, the winner will announce their stage ban choice. The loser will then announce the stage, followed by the winner picking his character, and then the loser picking his.
- This is repeated for the remaining games of the set.
- No player may choose a stage that they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

Melee Ruleset:

Melee Stage List(Singles):

Starters:

Battlefield
Dreamland 64
Final Destination
Fountain of Dreams
Pokemon Stadium
Yoshi's Story

Counter-Picks:

Brinstar
Corneria
Jungle Japes
Mute City
Pokefloats
Rainbowcruise
Kongo Jungle 64

Melee Stage List(Doubles):

Starters:

Battlefield
Dreamland 64
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium
Yoshi's Story

Counter-Picks:

Brinstar
Corneria
Jungle Japes
Pokefloats
Rainbowcruise
Kongo Jungle 64

Tournament Match Rules

- All matches are based on 4-stock, 8-minute-limit matches. Items are always off. Bracket is double elimination, with each set being best-of-3, except for finals of each division being best-of-5.
- All matches follow this order of procedure: players choose their characters double blind, players choose a neutral starter stage based on the SBR Stage Striking system¹, each player can ban one stage for that set, players play out the match, and slob picks² determine the following matches and procedure.
- The SBR Stage Striking system will be implemented for this tournament. This means that, in the first match of a set, both players will take turns striking out a neutral stage until they are left with two stages to play with, then the two are used for a random stage choice. The rest of the neutral stages can later be used as counterpicks.
- Slob picks are when the loser of the previous match chooses a stage based on the stage list, then chooses their character after the winner of the previous match has chosen their character.
- Stalling is not allowed in any shape or form. Infinites beyond 300 % are considered stalling. Players may "call the stall." By request, players may call the tournament organizer to referee a match, and the tournament organizer reserves the right to force an individual to forfeit if they continue stalling excessively.
- Wobbling is not allowed. Glitches that stall such as the Freezing Glitch are not allowed.
- If the timer reaches zero, player(s) with the most stocks will win. If both players have the same number of stocks, the player(s) with the lowest percentage will win. If both players have tied for this criteria, then a Sudden Death match will be played out.
- The Mages DQ Rule (with time modifications): If a tournament match has been called and a player does not show for 4 minutes, this player will receive a warning. If the player does not show 7 minutes after the match has been called, they will be given a loss for the first match of their set. If the player does not show 10 minutes after the match has been called, they will be given a loss for the entire set.
- Dave's Stupid Rule (with slight modifications): Players may not counterpick with a stage they have already won on during that set, but if a player counterpicks by choosing "Random", then this rule is ignored.
- In Doubles, Team Attack is on and life-stealing is allowed.

Set-ups:

I am fairly sure Edmonton Gamers will be supplying a few set-ups, but that might be mainly for SF4 and Tekken 6. Set-ups of any kind are always welcome, and I will try my best to keep a list of how many tv's/wii's there will be (lol hopefully).

Ruleset and entry information for other games will be found on edmontongamers at some point. Be sure to visit their site to find out.

Entrants:
(Please indicate what games you are entering or plan on entering).

Brawl Entrants: (29)

Director: Alphicans

Yoshara
Minus (sask)
zeriph (sask)
Bread
Frio
Alphicans
Shiro420
Links_sword
Zero Σ
Kuraudo
Yoshara
KillLock
Superboom
T-block
ChaosDrifte
Lime
Solaris
ChaosDrifter
IIIIRICK
MeSSi
lemonlau36
brningpyre
arsenal
wilson
diminisht
Fiji
Dare Evans
Brother of
Blitz
Girl

Street Fighter 4 Entrants: (74)

Director: Shiro420/Jinrai

Justin604 (Vancouver)
M-a-R (Vancouver)
thethrillisgone (Vancouver)
TeeQew (Vancouver)
Orikasa (Vancouver)
Peter (Vancouver)
Navid (Vancouver)
sakeido (Calgary)
Edwin (Calgary)
Vanilla (Calgary)
Cocokillah (Calgary)
TheLastWolves (Calgary)
Foger (Calgary)
lapchiduong (Calgary)
Jozhear (Calgary)
ph1l (Calgary)
Texiera (Calgary)
Deimlos (Calgary)
Number5 (Calgary)
Riceceta (Calgary)
JadedRyu (Lloyd Minister)
dustin (Sask)
Blitz (Sask)
Embrio (Sask)
thoughtbird (Sask)
Minus (Sask)
Mikerai
xfoo
snkammar
Stevercakes
htyn
Carl
Levi
Bobdude1234
Kururo
Kururu
Jesse
Dark Renagade
FakeSteve
AudioCG
MiniBok
Vesper
Jpizzle
B
Lee
lunaknight
FxCMYfoB
Jay
Dop3
HytN
Raidenthashocka
Shiro420
Offbeat
Jinrai
Mojo
mael
Duskbringer
Links_sword
Cindysoda
TMJ
Zak
TeeSce
beatrush
Killey
SmoZzLeR
Shane
LaZy
Teecee
Zero Σ
Padfei
Ehondizzle
2dfighter
MJ
JJ_Tactic

Tetsunoko vs Capcom (14)

Director: Dark Renagade/Shiro420

Shiro420
Vesper
JJ_tactics
Blitz
ChaosDrifter
brningpyre
jujitsutide
Zero Σ
Kuraudo
Yoshara
Offbeat ninja
Dark Renagade
Smozzler
TheLastWolves (Calgary)

Tekken 6 Entrants: (13)

Director: Smozzler

DuskBringer
Tapway
Offbeat
Shiro420
Links_sword
Cindysoda
Vitality
zenbater
shane
SmoZzLeR
lazy
dazzler
Lance
_virus_

Melee (15)

Director: x After Dawn x

Blitz
Yoshara
T-block
lemonlau36
Alphicans
Superboom
Stev0
AfterDawn
Kuraudo
Sraigux
Solaris1110
gerbality
Vitality'
Dragonz7
Falswfalco

Side Events:

BlazeBlue Entrants: (13)

Director: AudioCG

Yoshara
Killey
beatrush
Shiro420
thoughtbird
IIIIRICK
Levi
Carl
Zero Σ
brningpyre
Padfei
Ehondizzle
2dfighter

Mvc2 Entrants: (14)

Director: AudioCG

M-a-R (Vancouver)
JJ_Tatics
Shiro420
razorsuĸe
Regent
Dark Renagade
Astral
Lee
Kyle
Shane
Crazy Jay
B
MJ
Vesper

Street fighter HDR (5) Entries

Director: Audio CG

Shiro
Jinrai
AudioCG
MJ
Mini-bok
embrio (Sask)

A more in depth scheduel will be posted closer to the start date, for now this is what I can give you. This is not hosted by me, but by Edmontongamers, I am just advertising it on smashboards. Any questions can be asked here, and I will see what I can do to relay them to EG, or you could ask them yourselves on their site. They ask that if you're coming that you make sure you say so in this thread. Hope to see some good competition come out for this.

http://www.forums-edmontongamers.com/alberta-beat-down-t529.html - Edmonton Gamers' Thread for this tournament.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Shiro was talking about that. He said if there is a day 2 (meaning that maybe he can extend this for 2 days), TvC and melee will be held on those days. I am really unsure of what he's planning to do, I am just the messenger for brawl.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
I'm fine with there being TvC I personally won't be paying for a day 2. putting 100 up for brawl plus paying for the hall is a bit much.

Don't hate on sf4 and tekken 6 just spread the love and enter all the events (and feeeeeeeeeed the pot)

Nelo Vergil

Smash Master
Lets just create a Day 2 venue fee, I looked up the hall, and its alot cheaper Sunday, why not just do it that way, if theres enough want for TvC and Melee, the venue fee can cover it right?

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
Yes but we do not have any scene in this city for tvc . i like tvc i only played it twice im my life and i play VS games religiously

I'm not a scrub or a fool. i just don't want people to waste money on a gamble. I know melee has a strong scene in edmonton. but i dont see anyone asking for a day 2 but two people. the event is most than a month away just be patiant and give it time we could easlily have tvc on the same day as well

WAIT your in edmonton? Bring your *** over to Edmontongamers.com and lets get some casuals going. I need to beat ya down

Nelo Vergil

Smash Master
How can there be a scene if the games not even out though, you have to create a scene, its that simple, it just doesnt magically appear out of no where.

Maybe later, Im way to lazy to go register through things XD

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Wasn't the turn-out for Melee bigger than Brawl at the last monthly? And ADAT2? I can't recall...

Brawl happens more often here, but Melee is alive and well.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
How can there be a scene if the games not even out though, you have to create a scene, its that simple, it just doesnt magically appear out of no where.

Maybe later, Im way to lazy to go register through things XD
The games actually been out for over a year and lots of people here have the game, When seen it at animethon i asked just about everyone if they wanted to do a tournament and asked anyone interested in the game to join our site. Tournament was did not happen and no one seemed to join from that games scene.

From What I understand The last time we did a tournament for brawl we had 40 ish people show up. Last time we did one for melee there was around 20 or so people showing up. This does not mean there wasn't quality fights at either event. I do not hate Melee nor do I favor brawl. I'm just trying to let the people who want to pay for a day 2 on this event know that there very well could not be enough people coming for melee to cover the cost.

both Brawl and Street fighter 4 Have had great numbers and are very strong communites in this city. I know there will be lots of head, I have no problem hyping that tournament for brawl by pulling 100 bucks out of EG's money to start the pot off.

Melee is a bit aged and I have no idea how many people to expect. It's not to say I am against the idea of doing a 2 day event, only that I do not know if it's going to be in great numbers. Much like the ganes happening the day before.

Alphicans sugested doing a seperite site fee for the 2nd day. But I seriously think that would be bull****. Why should there be 2 site fee's? If we do decide to make this a 2 day event it will be one site fee for 2 days.

I'm also in favor of just having more setups running and doing it all in one day. this hall fits 250 people. We only need enough equipment to run all of it.

I'll have a PA system with a mic and all that jaz as well as people announcing matches and w/e to make sure things run nice and smooth. So i don't see it being a problem with doing it all in one day. but thats just me. It's very interesting to get feed back from you guys.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom likely didn't receive as much of a reaction because it was Japan-exclusive, and not as easily accessible to the common gamer competitively.

This version of Tatsunoko vs. Capcom that is coming out here is entirely different, with a different cast, some cut and some gained. Unlockable characters and all. It's practically the new and improved version that we got a year ago, and I'm certain that when it gets released here, that we'll be seeing an increase in the scene if we advertise it. After all, Marvel vs. Capcom 2 was a hit and I noticed that people played it a lot in Edmonton too. Along with the other fighters. This was at the Western Canadian Championships (Melee was hosted there, and Japanese Brawl was introduced as a side gaming event for the first time; ahhh good times)

Just putting the game out there for people to acknowledge being used to sign up for is how a scene starts.

Running it for 2 Days could make it easier to spread the events out, and allow more time for friendly matches. Instead, we're just trying to cram everything in on one day, without any time for friendly matches. And knowing the Smash community, some people will hold off on ****ing off when tourney matches can be played (DAN. JACK. EVERYONE? LOL), and especially when others for the other games want to get things done as quick as possible.

If this hall can fit 250 people? 2 days to attract the likes of people from outside of our province, for even games like Tekken 6, Street Fighter IV, Brawl, Melee, Tvs.C, the list goes on for what we could be hosting, it'd give far more incentive. I know that I'd love to pitch in on that venue fee to help make this happen. Less stressful on you, and a far better turn-out from those around us is possible.

I'm hyped enough already. 2 Days would run smoother without the hassle and johns that no one had time to "practice" or something.

We'd show them a good time and make them enjoy their stay in Edmonton, instead of having to just savor ONE day of a cluster**** of so many titles being run all at the same time. Quite the challenge, and I'm certain it can be done, but if we attract more attention with this for all the games here, wouldn't another day for 100% certainty of everything running smooth, be worth the extra cost of one more day?

Heck, this is coming from a guy who could very well just be a ******* and say, "Pffft, screw a second day. Sorry Melee and TvsC guys. I got mah Brawl, I'm set."

But I want something more out of this to remember, that everyone can remember. ******ery and kickassery shall ensue!

[EDIT]

... lol, how come bada ss is censored but kickass isn't. XD

Yoshara

Smash Lord
I would be in support of TvC and day 2, even with a venue fee.

P.S. Even without any day 2 events I will still be going to this.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
What I'd love to see is this. Just a general idea of games on what days.

Sorry if I'm stepping over the line on this or anything! Not running anything or something, just, opinions and ideas. D:

Day 1

- Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Doubles)
- BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Singles)
- Street Fighter IV

End Day 1 on a kickass nostalgic fighting game high note!

Day 2

- Super Smash Bros. Melee (Doubles)
- Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars
- Tekken 6
- Super Smash Bros. Melee (Singles)

No particular order, really on Day 2, but hey. I'm used to Melee (whenever it's available) singles being a grand finale.

If there's no time for Doubles, then that just makes it that much easier to run 2 days and more time for everyone. But yeah, that's what I think. Those games would be great.

Nelo Vergil

Smash Master
Id be willing to cover a quater of Sunday's rental fee, legit, maybe more, just so we can have TvC. Everything Brandon said is 100% true (all points I was gonna make XD). Sure we should cater to what we know will work (Brawl, SFIV), but we should atleast try to cater to different gamers as well, we get the word out at a number of different sites that promote each game, which creates a huge influx of people, a far larger take home/pot, and really helps define games like BlazBlue and TvC as legit communities with legit scenes (CT is really sort of an underground thing atm, and TvC hasnt even come out yet to Westren Audiances).

I was planning on holding TvC for my tournament when I get around to finding a venue, to help make and define a scene, but this would be a great way to start, a fresh start for nearly everyone to experience it and such

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
I love how much you guys want to help out. If we are infact looking into getting this day 2 to happen, and hear me out. I want to write up a contract and have anyone who is helping put money into the event get their money back the same day. Like say for exmanple you guys are paying for day to. everyone thats coming in that day (25 people) they give the money at the door and you guys come up and get your money back the same day before the event ends.

Bull**** happened with Carl before and I do not want to repeat the same mistake again. EG is an actual bussniss bought and owned so anything done with money needs to be properly documented and delt with accordingly.

Thats the only way I'll even think of doing this. Call me crazy, but I like things to be out in the open and there for people to see.

BTW if we do have a day to I think it would be wise to have TvC and Blazblue on the same day, since the games are more similar in play style. Brawl, tekken, sf4 will be on the same day. Brawl can have doubles and all that other funnyness on day 1.

Melee Blazblue and TvC will be fine for a da 2. Hmm come to think of it. we might as well call this event Western Canadian Championships 3. But keep in mind that I am weary of using that name because it's not up to me (EG might be owned by my by my friends are very vocal about using our biggest and longest running tournament name so loosely).

What we use to do is host all our team tournaments on one day and then do a sinles on the 2nd day. but given the nature of needing so many consoles for melee, TvC and Brawl, I think it makes sense to do this the way you guys are suggesting.

Anyhow people please add me on msn if you have more ideas on what you want to do with this event we have the 6th for sure so let me know asap. I want to get this hype machine going!!

Shiro_dk@hotmail.com

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
My main reason for splitting Melee & Brawl, to be honest, is because there are some that play both games. And though not the same, they do share similarities. And switching between the two games can be tedious and throw ones A-Game off. Some at the big Melee/Brawl tournament in California (Genesis) last summer had complaints about that and how it threw some off that competed in both.

I've got a really good feeling about this one.

The Western Canadian Championships should make a comeback, seeing as how this could be huge. Sounds amazing, in my eyes.

We'll be in touch.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
I'll also be offering housing for people coming.

And yeah just give me a bit to talk it over with some friends and we can go form there. the name just means allot to us so we want to throw that name on what will be our biggest and best tournament of the year.

Lol this tournament is almost as hyped as my avatar and sig =0

be sure to give the eg thread some love too http://www.forums-edmontongamers.com/alberta-beat-down-t529.html

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
**** straight we are. In the next day or so, we'll discuss the support for the venue with Shiro, the contracts, and the like.

Get the word out, Luke, to other regions/provinces nearby about this. I can do the same thing later.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Interesting...I was smashing with some of the BC Brawlers yesterday, and they mentioned wanting to go to an AB tourney at some point. I don't know how this would fit into my school schedule, but we'll see how it goes.

:005:

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
I use Lili so its all good.

You should come out to our bi weekly ranking battles for tekekn, decent amount of interest =)

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
ALPHIPOO

Luke. Adam and I are both putting down $100 for Day 2. Day 1 is covered by Shiro and the gang. Please confirm what you will be putting down, so we can go under contract and so that we can rent out the hall for Day 2 ASAP.

If not, Adam and I will be splitting Day 2. You'll be a total lame-o, but at least we're heroes to Melee and a kickass gaming session.

It's $275 in total.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Yes of course I'll pitch in. I'll sign w.e for you Shiro, you won't have to lose anything, just book the hall for 2 days.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
yeah there are controlls

i play on sexbox

just post up

wow sf4 has 17 pre-reg's brawl as 13 and this is only the first 24 hours

Igcoris

Smash Journeyman
Interesting...I was smashing with some of the BC Brawlers yesterday, and they mentioned wanting to go to an AB tourney at some point. I don't know how this would fit into my school schedule, but we'll see how it goes.

:005:
firefly, if you do go, how do you plan on getting there? If melee happens, i'd definitely be interested.

Top Bottom