• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

In-Depth Explanation of the RDB File Change

MATTS!

Smash Ace
Well, little info about "The New RDB file." The RDB has nothing to do with the Smash Bros. Rom. Let me teach you some stuff. The RDB(Rom DataBase -For you nubs) is a file for the emulator. It even works for mupen. Mupen is compatible with the RDB. It is just a file that patches roms as you play them through the emulator. Similar to a gameshark code, but this RDB file puts Hexidecimal fixes in the Rom when you play it through PJ64k, or Mupen, so it runs the ROM as good as it can with out any problems, because nobody has coded a perfect emulator yet.(if they can play the game on the emulator, they are not to much worried about a block or line here or there in the game, it's a working emulator to them) Some of them do update the emulators, but it's a hard long process, and if there is one working 97% for most games, they are not going to waiste months trying to perfect it, Belive me.(some coder's do though, rare) They move on to the newer systems to try and create an emulator for them. Anyways, The RDB patches the game, but it's only for a specific game thats coded into the RDB file. Thats why the update is for "Super Smash Bros. (U)" and not "Super Smash Bros. (U) [!]" with the exclamation point. The game testers played smash with the "Super Smash Bros. (U)" file so the fixes and bugs were applied in the RDB file to only work the fixes in the "Super Smash Bros. (U)" Rom file.

Before you read these next 2 paragraphs. The (U) at the end of the Rom means USA(NUS) A English North American Release.

Now the "Super Smash Bros. (U) [!]" Rom file is better than the "Super Smash Bros. (U)" Rom file because it's a Verified Dump.(Meaning it was dumped properly with 100% free errors. Now because it was dumped with 100% free errors, means it's an exact copy of the Data from the Super Smash Bros. Memory Chip in the Real Game Cartridge. Which means if you loaded this game ("Super Smash Bros. (U) [!]") into a Device that could transmit the Rom File through the ACTUAL System, it would play perfectly 100% like the game cartridge.(There's a rare device called the Doctor V64 that can do this, and a few other impossible finds of devlopment kits that can also do this, but the Doctor V64 is the most known. Yes you can play all your n64 roms through the Doctor V64, on your actual Nintendo 64 System, like you have the real game, on your TV) Now thats what the [!] means at the End of "Super Smash Bros. (U) [!]" Rom file.

The "Super Smash Bros. (U)" Rom is a non-verified dump, but still could be a 100% dump or a 1% dump. You just don't know. It's a dump that's been dumped by an unknown dumper, that didn't include any info about it or anything. This was the rom used when the game testers tested it with PJ64k for problems and then fix those problems in the RDB file so when you played ONLY THE "Super Smash Bros. (U)" ROM it would fix simalar problems that all parties came up with that particular rom. These Roms are really hard to find nowdays, just the country labeled roms. They pretty much been delete from the internet due to being dumped bad.(Some are just the "Super Smash Bros. (U) [!]" Rom file with the [!] point deleted from the end. You can tell by putting them through a Rom Verifier and comparing the MD5 Chucksum. GoodN64 is a good Nintendo 64 verifier utility) All you see now days is (U)[!], (E)[M3], (U)[B1], Hacks, etc. distributed all over the internet. You still can Delete the [!] so the RDB file thinks it's the "Super Smash Bros. (U)" Rom and not the "Super Smash Bros. (U) [!]" Rom file so the RDB thinks it's the original Rom file used when testing.

The reason they didn't do it to the "Super Smash Bros. (U) [!]" Rom file is because the update is old as **** from 2006. Only the "Super Smash Bros. (U)" Rom file was in hands at the time. Good dumps where just in the early stages of being dumped properly.

When it all comes down to it, the Emulator is the thing that needs to be fixed for it to be 100% perfect just like the Game System.

Thanks,

The Great MATTS!

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
It's a dump that's been dumped by an unknown dumper
I lol'd. Holy crap i had no idea this was one of those forums that required 10 characters for a post. LAME.

DMoogle

A$
I think I said in another thread that [!] means there's a problem with the dump, but I was wrong. The tag for a problem is .

Thino

Smash Master
I read it .

BUT WHAT THE **** DOES IT CHANGES/IMPROVES IN MY ONLINE GAME ????

100% dump or 99% dump , how does it affect the game play?

Top Bottom