• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First creature that is both plant AND animal discovered

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
A green sea slug appears to be part animal, part plant. It's the first critter discovered to produce the plant pigment chlorophyll.

The sneaky slugs seem to have stolen the genes that enable this skill from algae that they've eaten. With their contraband genes, the slugs can carry out photosynthesis — the process plants use to convert sunlight into energy.

"They can make their energy-containing molecules without having to eat anything," said Sidney Pierce, a biologist at the University of South Florida in Tampa.

Pierce has been studying the unique creatures, officially called Elysia chlorotica, for about 20 years. He presented his most recent findings Jan. 7 at the annual meeting of the Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology in Seattle. The finding was first reported by Science News.

"This is the first time that multicellar animals have been able to produce chlorophyll," Pierce told LiveScience.

The sea slugs live in salt marshes in New England and Canada. In addition to burglarizing the genes needed to make the green pigment chlorophyll, the slugs also steal tiny cell parts called chloroplasts, which they use to conduct photosynthesis. The chloroplasts use the chlorophyl to convert sunlight into energy, just as plants do, eliminating the need to eat food to gain energy.

"We collect them and we keep them in aquaria for months," Pierce said. "As long as we shine a light on them for 12 hours a day, they can survive [without food]."

The researchers used a radioactive tracer to be sure that the slugs are actually producing the chlorophyll themselves, as opposed to just stealing the ready-made pigment from algae. In fact, the slugs incorporate the genetic material so well, they pass it on to further generations of slugs.

The babies of thieving slugs retain the ability to produce their own chlorophyll, though they can't carry out photosynthesis until they've eaten enough algae to steal the necessary chloroplasts, which they can't yet produce on their own.

The slugs accomplishment is quite a feat, and scientists aren't yet sure how the animals actually appropriate the genes they need.

"It certainly is possible that DNA from one species can get into another species, as these slugs have clearly shown," Pierce said. "But the mechanisms are still unknown."

Source: http://www.livescience.com/animals/green-slug-animal-plant-100112.html

Cool. Of course, human stupidity is gonna kill it off the Earth faster than it was discovered. lol

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I was expecting an animal with roots and fruits lol.

Pretty incredible though.

Wouldn't it be more apt to just say it's an animal that can conduct photosynthesis as opposed to saying it's both plant and an animal?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
What's next? A bulbasaur like animal?

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
ZOMG. Man, I was expecting a Pikmin, not a slug..

There goes my dreams of leading plant-animal hybrid armies of doom. I guess I can work something with slugs.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I was thinking more along the lines of a mammal that was green... :X

But that's pretty cool. Imagine if we could do research on it with stem cells and all, would turn out interesting.

-Terywj

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
Wow! That's pretty **** epic! I will now harness their power and take over the world! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Frown

poekmon
Ooooooooooh!

*clicks link*

This is REALLY interesting. If humans become extinct, perhaps this will eventually be the new standard for living organisms?

UberMario

Smash Master
Funny that it took so long to come to a conclusion considering they live in New England.

And they went a little far saying that it's "half-plant, half-animal" considering that it's a slug and thus still an animal. Sure it produces chlorophyll, but it requires another organism (or rather part of one) to produce food. I'm curious how it keeps the chloroplasts alive if they're the remains of digested algae regardless.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Good, now figure out how to get this into people and we fix world hunger.
Pff, who cares about world hunger?

I'd be able to sleep in longer because I wouldn't have to worry about eating breakfast. I could just grab some sun on my way to class.

Now that's science I can get behind!

Spire

III
BRoomer
I hope that after years of study, we figure out a way to genetically engineer ourselves to adopt such abilities. After all, we can only evolve through technology now, not naturally. It would run McDonalds out of business.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I'm supposing with the right technology all the DNA and stem cell researches could do something and graft it onto humans.

They would clearly need to test this out on prototypes (probably mice) first. Fatal side-effects would be bad.

-Terywj

Eggm

Smash Hero
M2k would be the first to buy it. He hates having to spend time eating instead of practicing smash.

For you people saying "this would end world hunger" it wouldn't. Slug has to stay under light for 12 hours to obtain enough energy just to survive. I wouldn't think that even 24 hours would come close to satisfying a human's energy needs. I remember seeing these calculations in my bio class and from what I remember photosynthesis for 12 hours would only take care of a couple hundred calories. Humans are pretty inefficient creatures.

Also notice the surface area to volume ratio of the slug.

tl;dr photosynthesis doesn't produce enough energy for human survival.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
I stumbled upon this yesterday morning. It blew my mind! F***ing photosynthesis? Be right back guys, I'm gonna go eat a few pounds of algae every day for the rest of my life and see what happens.

Top Bottom