• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlStats v1.2.1 (updated October 2011)

el_refugio

Smash Apprentice

More info:
BrawlStats instructions and how-to (at Wiibrew)
or on my personal webpage.

Watch a demo here:
BrawlStats demo video

Here is the original message:
I have been working for some days in a new project called BrawlStats, thanks to an idea that a friend gave me.

BrawlStats is a Wii application that will have to be ran after a Brawl session. It will store automatically on your SD your results and then you will be able to navigate freely through a clean GUI that will show you a lot of information that Brawl doesn't store (or doesn't show).
It will be like a database of your Brawl matches.

The most important code is already finished. Now it's time to work on the graphics and loading/saving engine.

I hope to have it ready before February, but I can't promise anything.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
This would be helpful for recording match results for the forum and tournaments

STUFF2o

Smash Ace
Definitely useful. I'm not too sure Brawl's system in accurate enough. It says my favorite character is Kirby, even though I use Captain Falcon and Luigi 10x as often as Kirby.

el_refugio

Smash Apprentice
Finally I'm free of exams so I can work on BrawlStats.

Expect more information and captures soon!

el_refugio

Smash Apprentice
Yesterday we played Brawl a bit, then we did the first BrawlStats test. It was a success! :D
I must remember everyone that the code was done almost without any testing, so it was great to see that it worked. This means that most of the hard work is done, now I must focus on getting the GUI prepared.

Here's the screenshot of the moment!

The GUI will be also in english and it will be compatible with NTSC version too, don't worry.
Also this show only the first page of the first tab, BrawlStats will show a lot of more information!

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Very nice work el_refugio!
Is there some way we could interpret differences of casual matches and competitive matches so that we don't confuse ourselves? that'd be great ^_^

el_refugio

Smash Apprentice
Is there some way we could interpret differences of casual matches and competitive matches so that we don't confuse ourselves? that'd be great ^_^
Unfortunately the game doesn't save the match's options (well it even doesn't save the default match options!), so it's impossible.

But with BrawlStats you can start a session whenever you want. Explanation:
When you run BrawlStats it loads your NAND's Brawl savegame and check the game running time. If it's different from the last session it will ask you if you want to save it as a new session.
This means, if you are going to play casual matches and a competitive matches on the same day, you can create a new session after playing the casual matches. Then play again the game now in competitive matches, when you run BrawlStats you will create a new session (the same day, but a totally different session). The first session you created will contain the casual matches information, while the second session while have the competitive matches session.
Then you can write on a paper which sessions are casual and which are competitive. Another idea is to use different usernames when playing casual or competitive matches.
This is the only way I can think of having the information separated. There is no other way.
On the other hand, it could be possible to add an option to set any session as competitive or casual. But I'm not interested on it now, the session file format is already finished and I don't want to touch it anymore. And I don't think I'll modify it in the future, because that could break the old sessions and create compatibility problems. Sorry :(

Also... Maybe I'm wrong (as I never followed the tierlist history) but BrawlStats could be also very helpful on creating the famous tierlist :)

thoko

Smash Rookie
Would this work with USB Loaders?
(I don't have my original brawl disc anymore, and I like the faster loading times.)

el_refugio

Smash Apprentice
Would this work with USB Loaders?
(I don't have my original brawl disc anymore, and I like the faster loading times.)
Yes. It loads your Brawl savegame, it doesn't matter how you run it.

You will need two important things: SD card and an IOS with trucha bug (3.2 users won't have any problem, 3.3 or later users will need a cIOS, if you run your game via USB you won't have to worry about this because you already have a cIOS installed).

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
I support you!!
I'm amazed you were able to manipulate the NAND save file.

How do you use this anyway, before running the game? or in-game that pops up?

el_refugio

Smash Apprentice
I support you!!
I'm amazed you were able to manipulate the NAND save file.

How do you use this anyway, before running the game? or in-game that pops up?
AFTER running the game.
You can run it before too, you'll get the same results but it's better to run it after because it will save your last session and you will be able to see the latest results.

el_refugio

Smash Apprentice
Good news!

I have been working on the IOS selector and it seems that BrawlStats works with any IOS, this means that cIOS WON'T BE NEEDED!
However, the IOS selector (will be only shown once, on the first BrawlStats run) will be still there because it can be useful for future Wii versions.

I also added an option to configure the exit method: return to HBC or return to Wii menu, for those who will run BrawlStats from a channel ;)

el_refugio

Smash Apprentice
I coded a very big surprise in BrawlStats yesterday.

Cool :)

Do you need any help with the GUI?
No, thank you :) It's already almost finished.
now I got it :D

I was reading this a while ago... but didn't get it :D

this would definetly be helpful :D
That's because english is not my main language and I could not explain it as best as I would like. For that reason I'll need someone to write a readme file. I'll start the open betatesting phase soon, so I hope someone here will be able to write it :) BrawlStats GUI is very self-explanatory but it's still need some important things to know before running it.

el_refugio

Smash Apprentice
Stats Melee-style:

Don't put your hopes up because it will have some limitations. If you follow certain rules while doing a Brawl session, BrawlStats will be able to calculate these numbers :)

b2j135

Da Bess Pit
NNID
b2j135
3DS FC
3222-5569-3062
So this is like...a Brawl Rankings System?

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
It's actually a database of things like how many matches you've played in a session, how long you've played in a session, how many times you've used a character, etc. As el_refugio states himself, this could be useful for a lot of things.

With that said, I really can't wait for BrawlStats to be released, especially since now we don't have to install a cIOS to use it. =)

el_refugio

Smash Apprentice
With that said, I really can't wait for BrawlStats to be released, especially since now we don't have to install a cIOS to use it. =)
Bad news about that :(
I tried BrawlStats on a 4.2 and it did not work :( I must do more testing, but I can't promise anything.

Here goes what I have now: In order to use BrawlStats...
* 3.2 users WON'T need to install anything.
* 3.3 or higher WILL need a cIOS OR any trucha bugged IOS. Notes:
* If you are playing on USB Loader then you are ready.
* If you don't want to install a cIOS, you can use Trucha Bug Restorer to restore trucha bug to IOS36. It's easier and safe.
I hope to improve this, I will try to make it non-cIOS but as I said, I can't promise anything.

Prawn

Smash Master
dude they could put this up during the final parts of large tournaments so we could have a bunch of stats about Losers finals, winners finals, grand finals etc lol

mad cool

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
That's a shame =/ but, like Zolga, I do have a trucha IOS, so I'm good.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Bingo. I knew what I was doing when I hacked my Wii (Or at least had somebody who did, thanks Sails!) and so I don't really mind.

el_refugio

Smash Apprentice
I added a quick option to make screenshots and save them to the SD!
Expect the first beta soon!

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
This sounds really cool, I can't wait. :3

cIOS thing doesn't bother me at all either.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Can BrawlStats do anything advanced? Such as archiving available replay data in the Wii/SD?
Pulling a top-down view list of replays with nametags identified?

That would be awesome

Top Bottom