• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ever wonder if Sakurai's seen this stuff?

Yoshiboshi3

Smash Cadet
You know, what we've done with the game. Textures, PSAs, Brawl+........

I cant decide if he'd be proud or extreamly mad.

Stoney

Smash Apprentice
[loh-kay-shuhn] n. The act or process of locating
At least 70% of the codesets floating around here make deliberate and active efforts to undo all of the significant changes Sakurai added to Brawl versus Melee (tripping, hitstun, air dodging, knockback, etc). He'd be pretty pissed off at Brawl+ and Project: M if nothing else. Balanced Brawl might irk him since it nerfs Meta Knight so much. (I think he might actually approve of Brawl-, though. It doesn't remove his changes, it exaggerates them. More party-friendly randomness, whee!)

As for the texture hacks/stage hacks/model hacks/music hacks...well, they're hacks. He could either be impressed at our skill or horrified at how we've perverted his creation.

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
Maybe both.... Or maybe jealous because some people on the internet have better ideas than him >_>, seriously I read an interview where he said he wouldn't know what to do with the next SSB game if there is gonna be one.

Gee, I don't know, maybe customizable moves, as in more than 4 special attacks for each character, and let the player decide which ones they want to use. Do the same thing for regular attacks. Have you unlock them by playing online games, story/arcade mode. Change some physics, like making the hookshot like it's supposed to be and used it as a recovery item. Be more **** creative.

Then we could get Link using multiple swords with different advantages, disadvantages, and tactics for each, and Samus with different weaponry availabilities.

My God, the SSB series can really go places if the creator put more time into the gameplay creativity rather than making a story mode which IMO was boring and repatative, and making things like stickers, photo albums and such. He put too much thought into little things rather than the main focus.

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal
I think this should've gone in General Brawl Discussion, but think about it, we are hacking his game, that he put a lot of time and effort into. I bet if he saw any of us, he would wring our necks. I'm sure he wants us all dead so that we can stop making his game better or more fun. I'm sure he is extremely jealous that we were able to rip his game wide open and do things he couldn't, like make it balanced. Think about it, let's say you just completed this awesome character that you are extremely proud of and put months of effort into making him perfect. What if a huge majority of the people who use your character say they hate it and start completely changing the mechanics, moves, animations, model, AI, and everything else that has to do with your character, and then claim it is their own, without giving any credit to you. Or, let's say you just created this awesome new song, and then someone completely remixes it into something totally different and claims its their own, or worse, they completely swap it out for something different. Wouldn't you be upset and want to go to their houses with AK-47s and grenades and start blasting the **** out of everything they own?

****, we're cruel people. Not that I give a **** though.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
My God, the SSB series can really go places if the creator put more time into the gameplay creativity rather than making a story mode which IMO was boring and repatative, and making things like stickers, photo albums and such. He put too much thought into little things rather than the main focus.
We're taking about the guy who was in charge of Kirby games, where the gameplay is simple and the most complex a story was that somebody stole Kirby's food...

Stoney

Smash Apprentice
I think this should've gone in General Brawl Discussion, but think about it, we are hacking his game, that he put a lot of time and effort into. I bet if he saw any of us, he would wring our necks. I'm sure he wants us all dead so that we can stop making his game better or more fun. I'm sure he is extremely jealous that we were able to rip his game wide open and do things he couldn't, like make it balanced. Think about it, let's say you just completed this awesome character that you are extremely proud of and put months of effort into making him perfect. What if a huge majority of the people who use your character say they hate it and start completely changing the mechanics, moves, animations, model, AI, and everything else that has to do with your character, and then claim it is their own, without giving any credit to you. Or, let's say you just created this awesome new song, and then someone completely remixes it into something totally different and claims its their own, or worse, they completely swap it out for something different. Wouldn't you be upset and want to go to their houses with AK-47s and grenades and start blasting the **** out of everything they own?

****, we're cruel people. Not that I give a **** though.
I don't think anybody has gone so far as to claim direct ownership of these characters just because they've tweaked the movesets and/or changed the textures. If they have, they need a reality check. Even extremely modified characters like Zero and Wisp use models/graphics originally created by the Brawl developers. Assist Trophy and Trophy models were created by those developers too.

And even once we totally crack model insertion and start placing original models into the game with original movesets and textures and what-have-you, we'll still be using the base programming the Brawl developers wrote that makes the game run in the first place. We will never truly own this game; we're simply borrowing it for a while.

Meccs

@Meccs_
I'm sure he knows about em, but doesn't actively look for em. I can't see him really liking what's been done to Brawl. As an example, Itoi seems like somebody who would think it's neat, but I dunno, probably not Sakurai... maybe not angry, but more kinda disappointed.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
I really doubt he would be angry. There's really nothing to be angry about, except possibly how hacks could harm online play. Sakurai has always seemed like a very friendly sort, and he has outright stated his desires for the game to be fun for everyone.

You know, I don't understand all the Sakurai-hating that goes on about how he hates Melee's competitiveness and fun; people need to remember he made Melee.

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal
I don't think anybody has gone so far as to claim direct ownership of these characters just because they've tweaked the movesets and/or changed the textures. If they have, they need a reality check. Even extremely modified characters like Zero and Wisp use models/graphics originally created by the Brawl developers. Assist Trophy and Trophy models were created by those developers too.

And even once we totally crack model insertion and start placing original models into the game with original movesets and textures and what-have-you, we'll still be using the base programming the Brawl developers wrote that makes the game run in the first place. We will never truly own this game; we're simply borrowing it for a while.
You're right, no one has claimed direct ownership, but has anyone ever thanked Sakurai? No, never. This is who TheSilenceOfNoOne thanked:
OTHER STUFF

Credits to:
storm92 for almost starting the project in its original state
Wander for doing the first two PSA Pichu builds.
D.B.K. for continuing the pacified (that's PAC-ified, not pacified, lols) project, doing countless things before I came around.
Me. /narcissistic
5ive for creating a huge changelist on the first page of the old thread that was used a kajillion times
BigSharkZ for making the textures and attempting to size mod back in the day <3
superyoshi888 for making the old thread
Slashy as Captain Obvious
...:::VILE:::... for making a bunch of stuff that we can't use yet. XD
Eldiran for helping a LOT with "Discharge", and his article notes.
Kirk for all of his help with articles.
This is what it should be:
OTHER STUFF

Credits to:
storm92 for almost starting the project in its original state
Wander for doing the first two PSA Pichu builds.
D.B.K. for continuing the pacified (that's PAC-ified, not pacified, lols) project, doing countless things before I came around.
Me. /narcissistic
5ive for creating a huge changelist on the first page of the old thread that was used a kajillion times
BigSharkZ for making the textures and attempting to size mod back in the day <3
superyoshi888 for making the old thread
Slashy as Captain Obvious
...:::VILE:::... for making a bunch of stuff that we can't use yet. XD
Eldiran for helping a LOT with "Discharge", and his article notes.
Kirk for all of his help with articles.
Phantom Wings for, well, everything.
Team Twiizers for the Homebrew Channel.
______ for Gecko OS (I forgot who it was, sorry).
Sakurai's team for making Brawl.
Nintendo for making the Wii.
Franklin for electricity.
A lot of other people for plastic, metal, computers, etc.
And many, many more.
See how many people we don't give any credit to? We are selfish *******s. Also, we are starting to tweak the mechanics of the game, so we may very well be close to owning it.

@Eldiran: Yeah, why do people even hate Sakurai in the first place? He made the game, I have no idea why anyone hates him.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
I really doubt he would be angry. There's really nothing to be angry about, except possibly how hacks could harm online play. Sakurai has always seemed like a very friendly sort, and he has outright stated his desires for the game to be fun for everyone.

You know, I don't understand all the Sakurai-hating that goes on about how he hates Melee's competitiveness and fun; people need to remember he made Melee.
And he thought several elements loved in Melee were mistakesthat needing to be excised. That anything that could be used to better distinguish good and bad players was wrong. Granted, competitive players aren't the majority, but would the casuals really care enough that some tiny minority is sliding across the ground to the pointt that they would not buy Brawl?

On-topic: Overall, he'd (at worse) probably just be dissapointed that his intended vision of Smash doesn't suit ujs. Can't see him getting angry unless we try and sell this...

SuperGuzzi

Smash Journeyman
mmm if Sakurai's seen this hack stufff, he will try Mewtwo, Pichu, Dr. Mario and others, and will change all the music, for music of Kirby :laugh:
but really, we are bad :(

Sr. P & R

Smash Apprentice
I've always wished that Sakurai would decide to look at the GameFAQs brawl board or the SWF workshop. If he does work on the next game, I hope he considers us. Although, he'll probably make the next game super crappy and difficult to hack because of us :(

BG3

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I wonder if he'll try to put some type of hack barrier in the next game, LMAO.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
im sure hes dissapointed that he couldnt get enough time to make brawl what his fans wanted.

i dont like hacks, personally.
i dont wanna distort sakurai's hard work. its kind of disrespectful imo.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
im sure hes dissapointed that he couldnt get enough time to make brawl what his fans wanted.
i dont like hacks, personally.
i dont wanna distort sakurai's hard work. its kind of disrespectful imo.
...No offense, but why are you in the Smash Workshop? It's basically all about modding Brawl.

And I really disagree that we're "Distorting Sakurai's hard work." It's not like he made everything in the game from scratch. Besides, he shouldn't mind if it makes the game for fun.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Well, I don't think he'll be mad about it, although this might give him the chance to hire people at smashboards for beta testing and development for the next game (if he makes one though)

On another topic in a mugen forum, I did find a little bit of basis on copyrighted content, and that is to not make any profit out of their content, that was stated by Capcom and SnkP when they responded to a guy in the Mugen community
eh, I'll just put a link =P http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=62291.0
They arent' suing Mugen thank god

Well, Nintendo and Sakurai are two different things, and I'm guessing one of them seems like that angry dad everytime you visit your girlfriend lol

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Sakurai will be mad but like how the others said, he will just feel upset.
If he saw texture hacks and the sort, he might feel that he couldn't impress the fans enough and will just be disappointed. Don't think he'll be mad though.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i don't think he would really be mad or upset. i feel like he would be like well i got payed so whatever

bobson

Smash Lord
I highly doubt he would really care at all. He'd probably muse something like "Wow, you guys are really dedicated!" and then go back to feeding his cats and being infinitely more successful than anyone in this board.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
I highly doubt he would really care at all. He'd probably muse something like "Wow, you guys are really dedicated!" and then go back to feeding his cats and being infinitely more successful than anyone in this board.
^that

In anycase, he already got his porfit after ?????, so I guess he won't mind and be like Gtfo my Dual Layer DVD

GreatFalco

Smash Apprentice
I think he's seen all this. There are many videos out in youtube, images on google and lot of info about this in many websites. Also, since Brawl+ arrived to japan, sure he has noticed. Well, if I were the director of such a great project I'd like to know how is going through time. But yeah I'd love to interview Sakurai.

I personally think he may be repented about us, seeing how much work and hype has been done (I think we can be proud as a community), but overall he would do it again, 'cause we are minority.

However, Sakurai is wrong, he should understand that casual player don't care if the game can be played competitively (since is optional), whereas we can't play that way.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
You guys need to realize that half of the "Sakurai is anti competitive" stuff came from smash boards and not the man himself. Also, I think the actual programmers who worked on Brawl would be interested on how the hacks work more so than the person who helped direct Brawls development.

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
This falls under the same realm as fanart if you ask me. He'd probably be happy that someone took the time to create so much content for his game. Although Nintendo as a corporation has a strict policy against all this crap.

Andarel

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai, as project leader, probably only laid the basic theory down for how the game came out. Something this large was probably the result of a project team who each had different ideas, and it's hard to know if tripping was even Sakurai's idea. Same with other things: he is the director, not the only person who made the game (though if he was, I'd be HIGHLY impressed and a bit scared).

This sort of thing, now that we have the SD Card Loader falls into a gray area. Hacking a Wii to get the HBC is presumably illegal, but we don't even have to do that any more.

And yes, textures, now that they no longer need to be ISO hacked in, are probably closer to fanart/"parody" and could in theory be protected by law. Hard to tell. Ninty definitely isn't going to go after the sprite-ripping sites who get videogame images to distribute for free use...

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
I'd have to believe he's passed over this site several times before. Maybe he'll implement some of this stuff in the next SSB :laugh:

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
You guys need to realize that half of the "Sakurai is anti competitive" stuff came from smash boards and not the man himself. Also, I think the actual programmers who worked on Brawl would be interested on how the hacks work more so than the person who helped direct Brawls development.
this. seriously, sakurai was just the director. if anyone would feel anything it would be the programers, and as one myself i can honestly say i'd be more impressed with somebody taking my work and doing something incredible with it that annoyed. hell, i'm sure half the programers working on brawl were upset that they didn't get to do more. anyone who feels aghast at "distorting sakurai's work" really has no idea what goes into software development and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the workshop. there is no "social obligation" to keeping software in the state it was released. that actually goes against the entire idea. to be perfectly honest, if sakurai even cared then he would probably be more impressed than angry. hackers have taken the game engine and tweaked it to play completely differently. texture hacking? hell, if he's upset about that he really shouldn't be developing games in the first place.

Stoney

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai, as project leader, probably only laid the basic theory down for how the game came out. Something this large was probably the result of a project team who each had different ideas, and it's hard to know if tripping was even Sakurai's idea. Same with other things: he is the director, not the only person who made the game (though if he was, I'd be HIGHLY impressed and a bit scared).
You know, that's a good point and one I hadn't considered. It's entirely probable that Sakurai is being associated with the decisions of his subordinates, decisions he did not make himself, simply due to his position as the director of the game's development.

But consider this: in the end, Sakurai had the final say in how the game came out, and he chose for it to be the way it is. At any point he could've vetoed something that another developer working under him suggested. He could've said, "No, I do not like the idea of tripping. Remove it." He did not do this. Regardless of whether it was due to actively supporting them, not fully understanding them, or being totally ignorant of them, he let all the ideas we've seen in the game be realized.

I agree, though, that people who dislike the decisions made about Brawl usually blame Sakurai alone, when they should actually be blaming the entire Brawl development team.

I'm pretty sure this is where it all comes from. It's the Iwata Asks segment on Nintendo's official Wii website where Satoru Iwata interviewed Sakurai about Brawl's development.

During the interview, Sakurai mentioned how he wanted to make Brawl less competitive and friendlier to new players, through the online modes and other features of the game:

I guess it really comes down to whether Sakurai is an artist or a businessman. And now that I've thought about it a little more, it occurs to me that we don't really know enough about the man to determine whether he is either one.

Andarel

Smash Apprentice
Good post, Stoney.

However, some ideas do not always play out like they appear. I doubt Sakurai had a highly competitive team testing Brawl, and things like tripping are interesting to newer players (and they do happen irl, mind you -.-) and can lead to amusing things, plus require great reaction time to tech them. However, they aren't competitive...but a team that isn't tournament-standard in terms of outlook might not see it as such.

It's a forum

Smash Apprentice
Naw, I doubt Sakurai looks here. He said himself that he doesn't play the games he makes.

Fool's Gil

Smash Apprentice
I think Sakurai wants people to enjoy his games no matter what. He might be annoyed with the hackers, but for those who are still playing the game, hacked or otherwise he might be somewhat glad. If there is to be a fourth game though, chances are he'll make sure this situation won't happen again.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
...No offense, but why are you in the Smash Workshop? It's basically all about modding Brawl.

And I really disagree that we're "Distorting Sakurai's hard work." It's not like he made everything in the game from scratch. Besides, he shouldn't mind if it makes the game for fun.
i came here actually to see why there is SO many viewers. i dont care what you do to your brawl, and yes what your doing is distorting brawl, your slightly changing brawl, which is basically what distortion is. this just isnt my cup of tea. no need to wet your nickers over someone who politly disagrees with you.

lastly, true sakurai didnt MAKE EVERYTHING in brawl but him, his team and all the programmers made brawl, from scratch.

Stoney

Smash Apprentice
i came here actually to see why there is SO many viewers.
Here, I'll save you some time: people like the Workshop because it offers a chance for anyone to put their favorite character in the game. Whether it was someone who almost got onto the roster but didn't make it, someone who'd never be put in by Nintendo in a million years, or an alternate version of an existing character (like a previous version from an earlier game in the series, or a more balanced version); you get to customize the character selection however you want. After all the fuss that happened regarding Brawl's roster when it was first released, the idea of a customizable roster is very attractive.

So now you have your answer. Toodle-oo, off you go, there's a good lad.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Who knows, Sakurai could be here right now, even having this discussion with us. He would probably be Kryal, or Phantom Wings. Who knows?
Fix'd. :3

No offense to Dant, but I doubt it. And Vile? Hell no. XD

Top Bottom