• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario's Week 24 Matchup Discussion: Wolf

Padô

Smash Lord
Still Furry week:

Wolf

I got this on my hands lol. Lots of good Wolf players here in Brazil.
Later I'll argue on.

Good discussion!

Padô

Smash Lord
Double post but I'm starting it...

Wolf have some stupid aerials that come out really fast and sometimes If the wolf plyer predicts what you are doing he's beating your dair with an Uair or a Fair which personally HATE.

All his aerials are shieldgrab-able, the hardest one is Bair maybe, it's got range and autocancels really fast, but if you dash and shield it you can grab it since wolf aerial mobility is CRAP. Shield grabbing him is a really good option because we got a stupid CG that goes from around 50% to 200%(?), even if you miss some grabs in the middle of the CG I'm pretty sure we racked up some good Damage.

Sometimes Wolf can be a pain in the *** to who is used to roll after shielding an aerial so LEARN TO JUMP OOS if you roll away you are getting a free Fsmash which has got a lot of range (someone confirm me if we can bite it).
About recovery, don't worry because you are not getting gimped, just DI correctly his aerials and you will be knocked up from his aerials and tilt up the bike to avoid the lasers. On the otherside we got his trashy recovery that is pretty easy to bait for a waft while he's trying to recover on stage and if he tries to reach de ledge, Ledgedrop Invicible or not nairs should gimp him easily also works with nair pokes off stage to bet honest there are many possibilities to kill Wolf off stage from waft to Nairs so this makes this matchup on our favor.

Overall: 60:40

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Lol shieldgrabbing a good Wolf should NOT be happening, terrible advise. Wolf's air speed is actually one of the best in the game (his acceleration is just worse), so retreating aerials will NOT be shieldgrabbed. Don't fish for the grab, a good Wolf will be able to prevent it.

edit: Probably 60-40 or 55-45 though, definitely in our favor though I'm not quite sure to which extent.

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
Bite will beat the first hit of Fsmash, though you might take damage, while if they space the second hit correctly, they won't get eaten.

The only experience I have with Wolf is a lot of bairs, somewhat spam with lasers, and spaced Fsmashes (kinda like a Marth, if you position yourself so that they can tipper Fsmash you on purpose, they will Fsmash 9 times outta 10.)

Watch out in case the Wolf knows how to light-step, or whatever they call it. They can cancel their side-B on the ledge on purpose, and if they know what they're doing, they can catch you by surprise.

Wolf will have a hard time killing us, and doesn't have many options when knocked offstage. 60-40.

And just so this can be clear, what is the difference of air SPEED and air ACCELERATION? Is speed vertical, while acceleration is horizontal?

Padô

Smash Lord
Lol shieldgrabbing a good Wolf should NOT be happening, terrible advise. Wolf's air speed is actually one of the best in the game (his acceleration is just worse), so retreating aerials will NOT be shieldgrabbed. Don't fish for the grab, a good Wolf will be able to prevent it.

edit: Probably 60-40 or 55-45 though, definitely in our favor though I'm not quite sure to which extent.
That's why I mentioned the DASH before sheildgrabbing which is a VERY IMPORTANT detail.

@JNIG

Yes, Bair is terrible and it's an awesome spacing move if the Wolf knows how to abuse from it, by the way you can SH Airdodge on his back and Nair OoS.

Gichan

Smash Champion
I don't think wolf's bair is terrible at all. What is so bad about it? It is really fast, auto cancels **** well, and they can retreat it. Obviously we can easily go through it if we go from the top and dair, that really helps.

I don't find the recovery too easy to gimp but i do find that they screw it up and we can waft it. does anyone know effective ways to gimp them? Like hit them with fairs before the move starts or something?

I really think the matchup is 60:40 in our favour because of the shieldgrab, the wolf will eventually slip up and nair our shield or something if we keep pressure on them. But like Lord Chair said, we are not grabbing that bair unless our timing is that **** good. I think it would just be better to use the dash attack to usmash upon hitting them.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Uhm, if you take Wario's CG into consideration then this match-up is more than 6/4. Wario is pretty much Wolf's hardest match-up. Without the CG it's around 55/45.

:059:

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
You need to do the buffered dthrow CG or he can shine out of it. It's easier to just gimp wolf, haha.

Air speed is generally what people refer to as the maximum speed a character can move it. Wario has the greatest aerial acceleration, meaning he reaches that speed the fastest, which is what lets him weave in an and out so well.

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
Ha, wow, I didn't think air speed and acceleration in Brawl would be the same as the literal meaning of the two. I mean, it's Brawl. But I completely understand it now. Thx guys.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Uhm, if you take Wario's CG into consideration then this match-up is more than 6/4. Wario is pretty much Wolf's hardest match-up. Without the CG it's around 55/45.

:059:
They list D3 as 65:35...

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
lol wolf nuff sed
no nuff ISNT said.

I dont understand why wolf is so 'easy' for you guys. or you are trying to make him sound like a joke.

Wolf is serious business. it might be in our favor but its not too bad on the wolf's side.

Wolf has pojectiles making it annoying for wario to approach from the air.
Wolf's back air is hard to get past and punish if they know how to space it right.
Wolf out ranges wario in the air.

Wario's Dair is hard to punish for wolf (i personally would fsmash with wolf if wario retreats with dair shield poking or even Fair with wolf)
Wario's Bite is annoying for wolf because he relies so much on shield retaliation.
Wario has a 0-100 chaingrab on wolf.

Wolf's grab release on wario:

Wario ground breaks from wolfs grab, but IF you air break or are on the ledge/platform and you DO get grab released he can:

Ftilt (tilted upwards)
Fair
Dair (not 100% sure)
Bair
Nair
Shine
Neutral B.

Not many options for wolf but he would most likely Fair or Bair depending on the situation.

I dont think its THAT bad for wolf like Dedede is but still in our favor.

60:40

Gichan

Smash Champion
informative post dyno, thanks. If you don't know this matchup, you'll get gimmicked to death.

but with the cg and bite, I will say 60:40 in our favour.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
ALSO!!!

Grab release wise: if wolf gets you off the platform or edge and your feet are off the ground, i hear he can infinite you. Keep an eye out for that.

EDIT: wolf can also shine>footstool>dair (true combo) only works on wario from what i hear.

Top Bottom