• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Boards more elitist than the marth boards with 1/30 of the results go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
The purpose of this thread is an attempt to have Zelda's come together and talk about her weakness then to try to figure out ways around it which in turn will hopefully bring some sort of advancement for Zelda and the people who play her. The picture was taken from deviant art it's not my work.

Recovering with Zelda

The first topic I want to discuss is Zelda's recovery or more to the point recovering with Zelda. The basic that everyone knows about Zelda's recovery is the multi direction it can be started in. The slow start the hellish ending lag. It's also stops at walls and sweet spot the ledge is almost always your safest way to recover. I say almost always because if someone times a ledge grab properly Zelda wall fall to her death. Since the second hit of Zelda's up B will not knock them off because of the invincibility frames. Now that should be common knowledge to most if not all Zelda mains. If it isn't then you learned something however, it's still to always go over the basic every now and again.

Now that the basic is out of the way the aspect of her recovering that I would like to discuss isn't just limited to her up B. I also would like to take into account how do you momentum cancel with Zelda. The way you momentum cancel. For instance if we look are using regular momentum cancel which is fastest aerial + DJ. We have to take into account that we're losing Zelda's precious second jump which is precious IMO. It's precious because it limits our options and it also limits the things we can do while we recovering. Depending on the pressure the opponent puts on while where off stage the DJ could be vital for Zelda. Then the other form of momentum canceling is the reversed Nayru's love. It's risky because it can save Zelda's DJ. Zelda's DJ is important because in my opinion her Up B leaves you the must vulnerable while recovering you never want to be in a situation where you have to use the Up B to recover. Now that's not to say that there isn't times where you can Up B to try to avoid the pressure they're putting on you and the character they are using.

How do you deal overcome Zelda's weakness and recover safely back to the stage? Also you can bring up what characters you have more trouble recovering it also.

Recovering with Zelda's up B can be a pain. Although it pretty good range wise the cool down on the back end of the recovery can be very problematic. It can cause you to be punished and quite possibility death. In order to reduce this we have to first be extremely good at momentum canceling. The best way to momentum cancel is to FF your fastest aerial then DJ. But because of Zelda's recovery issues this isn't the best of options. Some alternative to this is reverse nayru's love or just continuous Bairs. Once you've survived a possible kill shot from your opponent the next challenge is making it back to the stage safely. If you were able to keep your double jump then a mixture of her double jump air dodging and air speed. Zelda also has pretty fast aerials in Bair and nair although a bit more risky you can attempt to launch an attemp in hopes to thwart their edge guard attempts. This is risky because more than likely they will just beat out your attack. So its important to know how fast your opponents move are if zelda's options are faster then go for it. This brings me to my very last point about recovering with Zelda it is an uphill battle one in which you can win. You first must pay attention. Not only to what you're opponent is doing but to where you are an at. Try to see if your opponent has any patterns while trying to edgeguard you does he wait for your air dodge? Is he grabbing to edge hog you. Did he RAR before he jumped off the stage. Can you get away with Up B sooner than what he's expecting. You must recover mix it up and don't always DJ then up B to recover don't always recover low with your up B. You can also recover high and snap to the ledge. Practice it, it's very important. The more options you have the more your opponent has to cover.

Projectiles

I don't see how someone with a reflector can have a weakness to projectiles but that's beyond me I guess I'm not at a high enough level to know how projectiles stifle Zelda. So what I would like to do since projectiles is very vague let's try to narrow it do to what projectiles seem to bother people the must then once we narrow it down to about 4 or 5 projectiles I guess people can state why they have trouble with these projectiles then we can come up with ways of Zelda getting around projectiles.

Zelda has a couple of ways to deal with projectiles the most obvious is to shield. Power shielding the projectiles will go along way being able to cope with the projectiles. Another option Zelda has is reflector. Which isn't too much of an option depending on distance and where you're at on the stage. Because of the considerable amount of lag on the move it can leave you vulnerable and some projectiles like snake nades (cooked) or foxes laser doesn't even matter if you reflect them. Din's fire is another laggy move however, it will cancel out the majority of projectiles. So you need to be able to use it probably and always try to angle it downward just in case you get hit by a projectile. Zelda's Dtilt can cancel out some projectiles as well here's a list of those projectiles in which she can cancel.

:gw: Mr. Game & Watch

Neutral special (sausage)

:popo: Ice Climbers

Neutral special (doesn't clash)

:dedede: King Dedede

Forward special (stops waddle dees and doos, doesn't clash)

:link2: Link

Neutral special
Crouches under unangled Forward special

:lucario: Lucario

Neutral special (uncharged)

:lucas: Lucas

Forward special
Up special (thunderball)

:luigi2: Luigi

Neutral special

:mario2: Mario

Neutral special

:ness2: Ness

Up special (thunderball)

:pikachu2: Pikachu

Neutral special (thunderjolt)

:pit: Pit

Neutral special (works on unangled)

:ivysaur: Pokémon Trainer - Ivysaur

Forward special

:charizard: Pokémon Trainer - Charizard

Forward special (small rocks)

:samus2: Samus

Forward special (normal missile)

:snake: Snake

Usmash (rocket)

:toonlink: Toon Link

Neutral special
Forward special

:zelda: Zelda

Forward special (always)

:zerosuitsamus: Zero Suit Samus

Armor suit pieces when thrown

How to use Zelda's moves more effectively​

Zelda's moves are strong yet either slow on start up or suffer from a lot of ending lag. Thus making it harder to land these moves. So how do we land them ?

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Oh wow I didn't expect this - hope you can maintain the thread as it grows! Let me know if you need any help in formatting or rearranging stuff!

MrEh

Smash Hero
tl:dr version

How to Overcome Zelda's Weaknesss

1. Counterpick

:metaknight: :snake: :wario: :falco: :dedede: :marth: :diddy: :popo:

2. Counterpick Akane.

3. Short Answer: You don't.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691

1. Counterpick

2. Counterpick Akane.

Mr. Eh can you try to take this seriously you're a very knowledgeable poster I'd much appreciate your input and tips/suggestion you have that could help in this area.

AzNfinesse

Smash Journeyman

1. Counterpick

2. Counterpick Akane.

as funny as this is....
can we please have a real discussion without any comments that hinder zelda? we already realize that she's a bad character, but we're playing her anyway. We might as well make the best of it. that's all i ask.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
One thing to do is know every single possible place to recover to. On a place like Battlefield, I know my friends automatically think Im aiming to sweetspot the ledge so they go for the edgeguard. What they forget is that there are like 2 platforms at that point available for recovery, plus the ground. The key is to go off your opponents patterns. If you know they like to camp right above the ledge, space the sweet spot or recover high. I never ever recommend trying to hit anyone with FW ever when recovering. Thats more of a death sentence than using FW in general. This is one reason why places like Final Destination are very bad stages for Zelda. It doesnt give her the opportunity to mix anything up ever.

Also save your double jump. You should make it your goal to consistantly use the reverse NL DI. Your double jump is absolutely huge when recovering with almost any character, and luckily Zelda is a character that is light weight but has a move that can let you DI without using your double jump. USE IT!

-Mars-

Smash Hero
That NL trick is really hard to do from my experiences....I end up going the wrong way and killing myself more often than not lol.

I like riding naryu's momentum though out of negative hitstun....i've been able to pull that off rather frequently lately.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
That NL trick is really hard to do from my experiences....I end up going the wrong way and killing myself more often than not lol.

I like riding naryu's momentum though out of negative hitstun....i've been able to pull that off rather frequently lately.
Which is why you need to practice it. Youre not going to play at the top of your game if you dont use the best tools available. Not learning something because its too hard is a top notch john. Im not accusing you of not or anything, but its how your post came off as.

Simply, we play a handicapped character. But you have no right to john about how bad _____ situation is if you arent using the tools given to you.

Again, not accusing you bro, just saying. Practice ;). Riding NL momentum is fun too I think, too bad I cant seem to find a way to work it into my recovery as far as Ive tried.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Players have no right to john about a character when they chose the character in the first place.

I could write walls and walls of text explaining how to recover with Zelda. Does that help anyone? Not really. Walls of text are boring to read, and they can usually be easily summarized into a single paragraph. The problem is that whenever someone posts a simple solution to the problem, sometimes the readers simply don't want to hear it. In this case though, it really is that simple.

Learn to read your opponent. If you know your opponent is going to grab the ledge, don't go for the ledge. If you know your opponent won't go for the ledge, then grab the ledge. If there's the Smashville platform around, then that's a potential destination as well. Just get back onstage. Remember, you're Zelda. Your recovery is terrible. Getting punished for your recovery is guaranteed. Accept it and move on.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Is that last paragraph your simple solution MrEh? If so, I like it.

Accept the exept it and move on part. You should always be looking for ways to improve bad situations. It's how metagames advance x.x

MrEh

Smash Hero
Yes, the last paragraph is the simple solution. And no, Zelda's metagame will not improve by discussing her recovery. When it's as limited as her UpB, sometimes there's really nothing that needs to be said. There are no fancy tricks to using the UpB. You just need to use it smarter.

The part about accepting it is true though. People need to realize that sometimes, there's nothing you can do. If a fat character gets grabbed by Dedede, he's going to get chaingrabbed. Instead of figuring out cute ways to get out of the chaingrab, the player should instead think about ways to avoid getting grabbed in the first place. (see where I'm going with this?)

At high levels of play, you're going to get edgeguarded. Zelda's recovery is exploitable. You know that, your opponent knows that. You're guaranteed to take a chunk of damage, if not a stock. There are no fancy tricks to recovering. There aren't massive amounts of options you can exploit. You either grab the ledge, or you get punished. In most situations, there really is nothing you can do. Instead of finding a way around the gimping, you should try to prevent yourself from being in that situation in the first place.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Yes, the last paragraph is the simple solution. And no, Zelda's metagame will not improve by discussing her recovery. When it's as limited as her UpB, sometimes there's really nothing that needs to be said. There are no fancy tricks to using the UpB. You just need to use it smarter.

The part about accepting it is true though. People need to realize that sometimes, there's nothing you can do. If a fat character gets grabbed by Dedede, he's going to get chaingrabbed. Instead of figuring out cute ways to get out of the chaingrab, the player should instead think about ways to avoid getting grabbed in the first place. (see where I'm going with this?)

At high levels of play, you're going to get edgeguarded. Zelda's recovery is exploitable. You know that, your opponent knows that. You're guaranteed to take a chunk of damage, if not a stock. There are no fancy tricks to recovering. There aren't massive amounts of options you can exploit. You either grab the ledge, or you get punished. In most situations, there really is nothing you can do. Instead of finding a way around the gimping, you should try to prevent yourself from being in that situation in the first place.
I think it's un realistic to say don't get thrown of stage. It is more realistic however to get talk about how to get back on stage safely. While you are talking about her up B do you up B back to stage every single time ?

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Actually I see what MrEh is saying.

But, my point is that it never hurts to discuss it. It seems like you have the additude that there is no reason to discuss it because you already know how limited it is. But do we honestly know 100% for sure about every aspect of FW?

I mean, we could have said Zelda has terrible survivability due to her having really horrible aerial moves to stop momentum with, plus her light weight. But the Japanese (I think?) found the reverse NL momentum cancel. You could think you know it's limited. You can think it will never change. But the point is you never ever know if there is more to explore or not. Now, I dont know about you, but I would like to hear what others have to say about her recovery. If we keep getting the response about how its extremely limited and unsafe, then we accept it and move on for now. But that doesnt mean it will be like that forever, and it doesnt mean we should never discuss it. The only way things progress is to pitch ideas. To think outside the box. To not be close-minded about thought to be limited situations.

tldr: Dont discredit discussion just because you think its not worth it, or you think it will accimplish nothing. Any discussionthat tries to improve her metagame is worth discussing in my opinion.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Actually I see what MrEh is saying.

But, my point is that it never hurts to discuss it. It seems like you have the additude that there is no reason to discuss it because you already know how limited it is. But do we honestly know 100% for sure about every aspect of FW?

I mean, we could have said Zelda has terrible survivability due to her having really horrible aerial moves to stop momentum with, plus her light weight. But the Japanese (I think?) found the reverse NL momentum cancel. You could think you know it's limited. You can think it will never change. But the point is you never ever know if there is more to explore or not. Now, I dont know about you, but I would like to hear what others have to say about her recovery. If we keep getting the response about how its extremely limited and unsafe, then we accept it and move on for now. But that doesnt mean it will be like that forever, and it doesnt mean we should never discuss it. The only way things progress is to pitch ideas. To think outside the box. To not be close-minded about thought to be limited situations.

tldr: Dont discredit discussion just because you think its not worth it, or you think it will accimplish nothing. Any discussionthat tries to improve her metagame is worth discussing in my opinion.
Ah that makes sense. But I think discussion how older Zelda recover and make safer recoveries will improve her metagame.

Bandit

Smash Lord
Honestly, MrEh is 100% correct with his last paragraph.

It's all mind games about getting back to the stage safely. More often than not, you will be punished. Just recover from a higher angle and try to hit the stage to cancel the UpB and reduce the wind down. Just mix it up.

Oh, and the NL trick is stupid and risky. Love jumping is just stupid. This topic is pretty stupid; please pick a new topic because this is far from her worst weakness.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Honestly, MrEh is 100% correct with his last paragraph.

It's all mind games about getting back to the stage safely. More often than not, you will be punished. Just recover from a higher angle and try to hit the stage to cancel the UpB and reduce the wind down. Just mix it up.

Oh, and the NL trick is stupid and risky. Love jumping is just stupid. This topic is pretty stupid; please pick a new topic because this is far from her worst weakness.
I never said it was her worse weakness. I said it's one of her weakness. It's something good to start with IMO. If you wanted to discuss Zelda's weakness you could of made a thread. If you have a suggestion for a topic to be discussed then suggest it and it will be discussed next everything else in your post is unnecessary.

Bandit

Smash Lord
You aren't talking about her recovery anymore; you are just talking about whether or not it is right to talk about her recovery.

Everything in your post was unnecessary.

If you want weaknesses, how about dealing with range from Ike/Marth/DK or dealing with projectile spammers like TL/Pit/Falco or how camping her is just so easy to do or how to mount an offensive attack or, you know, something useful.

I simply give my input because I already know this stuff, and my knowledge of it can be helpful to others.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
You aren't talking about her recovery anymore; you are just talking about whether or not it is right to talk about her recovery.

Everything in your post was unnecessary.

If you want weaknesses, how about dealing with range from Ike/Marth/DK or dealing with projectile spammers like TL/Pit/Falco or how camping her is just so easy to do or how to mount an offensive attack or, you know, something useful.

I simply give my input because I already know this stuff, and my knowledge of it can be helpful to others.
Recovering with zelda is a weakness of us. Getting back to the stage is a problem. Her lack of range compared to other character could be something to discussed same with her dealing with projectiles. Even if you already know that it's not the point. It could be helpful to other members. It could also be a good reminder for other members. I'm not saying what I'm suggesting is law. Just trying to get a discussion of how to overcome Zelda's weakness and try to learn how all other Zelda's recover or how they try to deal with adjust or to being edge guard. You may already be passed this point so leave your knowledge or don't post.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
There should not be a topic on how to better a move that can be predicted before even using it.

What MrEh said true to its fullest. There is nothing more that needs to be said about this topic.

All you need to know is that if your getting knocked off the stage, there is a 35% that you will make it back to the stage. Yes I'm saying its that low cause you only have two options. Either grab the ledge, or get on the stage. Against anyone who can read very well or just read where you are going to show up, they can punish accordingly.

That's my take on this subject.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Rofl @this topic. AL, stop trying to make yourself useful before you hurt yourself.

Jkjkjk, that was a joke. Sort of.

Cosign everything MrEh and Bandit have said. You can't change Zelda's recovery..... if you have to use FW, you'll suffer that end lag regardless, and it's enough for a majority of characters to punish you no matter where you land. You cannot change this or do anything about it. The best you can do is land as far away from where you think your opponent will go as possible -- and then pray that they **** up. Or you go for the ledge if they aren't in a position to edgehog. End of story.

I vote for talking about her weakness against camping next..... oh wait.... the only solution to that is perfect shielding.

Okay, maybe dealing with range? ****.... not much we can do about that either.....

Well, ****, just play smart. /end thread

Bandit

Smash Lord
@AL

Seriously, why are you arguing with me? Talk about her recovery, and I will give my input.

You want to practice her recovery? Just jump off FD at different angles and hit the sweetspot. Then jump off at different angles and aim just above the ledge. Do this for awhile and you'll learn she has far more than 16 angles to choose from.

If they are below you and you are above the stage, UpB down to the stage. Sometimes straight down, sometimes at an angle, but always within FW cancel range so you have little wind down.

If you let yourself fall below the ledge, you have failed and put yourself in a position to be punished. If they come out to deal with you, ff flub dair to foot stool is a true combo.

Now, it's your turn to post.

Edit: ****... Kaylo FTW!

Edit2: To edge guard Zelda, when her UpB starts, the opponent drops onto the ledge. When she lands on the stage, they pop up and deliver a damaging blow. Try facing a Luigi who UpB's you every time you don't sweet spot.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
There should not be a topic on how to better a move that can be predicted before even using it.

What MrEh said true to its fullest. There is nothing more that needs to be said about this topic.

All you need to know is that if your getting knocked off the stage, there is a 35% that you will make it back to the stage. Yes I'm saying its that low cause you only have two options. Either grab the ledge, or get on the stage,Against anyone who can read very well or just read where you are going to show up, they can punish accordingly.

That's my take on this subject.
Once again it's not limited to just her up B. I mean if you recover 100% of the time with Zelda's up B then I don't know what to say. Now when you bring up the 35% can I ask you what you did while recovering. Did you momentum cancel or reverse nayru's to stop your momentum. If you save your double jump was you able to get back to the stage with proper DI or did you go for the ledge. Do you up B from above or below the stage. Things of that nature I'd go more into detail them have some one through out some arbitrary number.

Bandit

Smash Lord
Once again it's not limited to just her up B. I mean if you recover 100% of the time with Zelda's up B then I don't know what to say. Now when you bring up the 35% can I ask you what you did while recovering. Did you momentum cancel or reverse nayru's to stop your momentum. If you save your double jump was you able to get back to the stage with proper DI or did you go for the ledge. Do you up B from above or below the stage. Things of that nature I'd go more into detail them have some one through out some arbitrary number.
Read my post. And stop arguing with the players and prove his 35% wrong.

Oh, and to answer you questions, never use NL to cancel momentum because the end lag is long. You should be Bair'ing. And yes, save your second jump at all costs; even if it means you take an attack you shouldn't because you can DI the attack up and have an easier recovery.

You should really just ask more questions.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Rofl @this topic. AL, stop trying to make yourself useful before you hurt yourself.

Jkjkjk, that was a joke. Sort of.

Cosign everything MrEh and Bandit have said. You can't change Zelda's recovery..... if you have to use FW, you'll suffer that end lag regardless, and it's enough for a majority of characters to punish you no matter where you land. You cannot change this or do anything about it. The best you can do is land as far away from where you think your opponent will go as possible -- and then pray that they **** up. Or you go for the ledge if they aren't in a position to edgehog. End of story.

I vote for talking about her weakness against camping next..... oh wait.... the only solution to that is perfect shielding.

Okay, maybe dealing with range? ****.... not much we can do about that either.....

Well, ****, just play smart. /end thread
Well I figured I'm tired of the way these forums go on this forum. I never said anything about changing her Up B. I know it's laggy I know it's slow. What I want to talk about is what or how do different Zeldas get back to the stage. I don't really see why this is so much of a problem for you. Contribute to the thread or don't post. Like honestly this is funny.

@AL

Seriously, why are you arguing with me? Talk about her recovery, and I will give my input.

You want to practice her recovery? Just jump off FD at different angles and hit the sweetspot. Then jump off at different angles and aim just above the ledge. Do this for awhile and you'll learn she has far more than 16 angles to choose from.

If they are below you and you are above the stage, UpB down to the stage. Sometimes straight down, sometimes at an angle, but always within FW cancel range so you have little wind down.

If you let yourself fall below the ledge, you have failed and put yourself in a position to be punished. If they come out to deal with you, ff flub dair to foot stool is a true combo.

Now, it's your turn to post.

Edit: ****... Kaylo FTW!

Edit2: To edge guard Zelda, when her UpB starts, the opponent drops onto the ledge. When she lands on the stage, they pop up and deliver a damaging blow. Try facing a Luigi who UpB's you every time you don't sweet spot.
The only angle I have trouble sweet spotting is from underneath the ledge. where you kind of get stick under the edge I always send the ledge out too far.

Bandit

Smash Lord
FD is perfect practice. If you really want some BS recovery options to challenge yourself, go to Pokemon Stadium 1. That stage destroys Zelda's recovery below the stage immensely.

And if you are below the ledge, learn to aim just above the ledge. Better to take punishment and live then be a hero and die going for a sweetspot.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Read my post. And stop arguing with the players and prove his 35% wrong.

Oh, and to answer you questions, never use NL to cancel momentum because the end lag is long. You should be Bair'ing. And yes, save your second jump at all costs; even if it means you take an attack you shouldn't because you can DI the attack up and have an easier recovery.

You should really just ask more questions.
So because the ending lag is long you shouldn't use the reverse NL even though it can save your life? Also if you just bair you're not properly momentum canceling because you need to DJ also after you FF your fastest aerial. I'm making this in attempt to generate discussion between all Zelda players. Also the 35% is an arbitrary number. I could say that Xelda can safely recover 95% of the time does that make it true? Hell no. Talk about how you recover people are focusing on the Up B too much thats just one aspect of recovering with Zelda because you don't always need to use her Up B to recover.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
FD is perfect practice. If you really want some BS recovery options to challenge yourself, go to Pokemon Stadium 1. That stage destroys Zelda's recovery below the stage immensely.

And if you are below the ledge, learn to aim just above the ledge. Better to take punishment and live then be a hero and die going for a sweetspot.
I've practiced on Ps1 before. I'll use BF because it's the easiest point to illustrate where I have trouble at. I after the little slant recovering from under neath the bottom part. That's where I have trouble at.

Basically at the bottom part.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
*facepalms her brains out*

Here, AL. Let me make it simple for you.

How to recover with Zelda:

1. DI properly.

2. FF bair to regain momentum and survive. Jump if you absolutely need to cancel your momentum, but saving your second jump is better.

3. If the other person comes out to hit you, avoid them with your airdodges, double jump, and air speed. Unless they're directly underneath you in a position to be spiked, you have nothing to combat 90% of the cast with in the air off-stage. Better to just try to make it back without taking damage.

Most people aren't stupid enough to put themselves in a vulnerable position as they're edgeguarding.

4. If you need to FW, you're all but ****ed.

It's really not that hard. Just be smart, avoid as much damage as you can, and get your feet back on the ground ASAP.

Next. Topic. Please.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
There is no such thing with Zelda. I've tried it in an actual match. I didn't slow down, hell I didn't even stop or went the other way. You keep going and the only thing that will somewhat slow you down is Bair, but your too worried about something that doesn't even exist with Zelda.

One more thing, please don't bring up all this light info in front of me cause most of it will either get you killed or make you look like a fool.

Lets see if I can break your statements down.

"I mean if you recover 100% of the time with Zelda's up B then I don't know what to say."

Umm...have you tried recovering with sideB or any other B that she has? I didn't think so.

"If you save your double jump was you able to get back to the stage with proper DI or did you go for the ledge."

First off its were, and second if I had SDI or perfect DI, as you call it, I wouldn't be going for the ledge cause I would already be above the stage thinking on a way to land on the ground.

"Do you up B from above or below the stage."

FW below makes you predictable. FW above is the same way. What's the difference? Below you have no choice, while above you do.

I think, or hope to think, you know what I'm getting at here.

Bandit

Smash Lord
I've practiced on Ps1 before. I'll use BF because it's the easiest point to illustrate where I have trouble at. I after the little slant recovering from under neath the bottom part. That's where I have trouble at.

Basically at the bottom part.
Wait... are you under the stage? Like if you went straight up you would hit the stage?

If you are there, you failed mega-hard and probably will die. You have terrible odds of making it back. I have gotten really good at halberd and delfino at going from one edge to the other, but I practiced that.

I assume you meant you were away from the ledge and below the stage (if you went straight up, you would hit air then float down to your death). In battlefield's case, it's really easy to recover.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
WTF @ people roasting almo over one of the few threads on this dead forum capable of producing some form of discussion.

Almo's trying to discuss Zelda's recovery.....which blows and ways to work around it.

If you don't like it you mutha ****as can gtfo.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
There are no ways to get around it..... you do your best to get your feet back on the god**** ground while taking the least amount of damage possible. That's really how simple it is. There aren't any tricks to it.

Nobody ever said this thread's a bad idea, but there are plenty of other weaknesses we could be discussing that wouldn't be so useless to talk about.

EDIT: Here, I'll even suggest a few:

- Her abundance of transcendent priority (often a negative) and how to trade so that it's in our favor
- Her lack of approaches
- Her lack of aerial game
- Laggy startup on some of her most important moves (and how to better set them up)

If you need more, I can keep going. These are things that will actually help her metagame to discuss -- not how to recover better when her recovery is pretty ****ing basic.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
I agree with mars. Why are you (general meaning) trying to kill a thread that could actually produce some useful discussion? If you don't agree with its usefulness don't post in it. If you don't agree with the current topic suggest a better one to be discussed next and leave it at that. If you don't like the poster don't judge his thread/posts because of that.

Why is this so hard?

And thus you just gave your enemy a golden chance to edgehog since you won't be able to DI or move for a while after FW. All they need to do is airdodge through your appearing hitbox or speedhog after it and voilà: you've lost a stock.

Sometimes it's really better to take the chance and try to sweetspot. They can edgehog or you might fail, but that's how it's going to be when recovering low. At least that way you still have two options instead of one.

There is no such thing with Zelda. I've tried it in an actual match. I didn't slow down, hell I didn't even stop or went the other way.
Ahem...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6V4HDXpFIo

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Pretty sure Bandit and I both gave suggestions for better topics.

But whatevs, have fun discussing fifty thousand ways to FW. I'll be back when something useful is going on.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
While this could be a useful thread, since we seem to have discussed everything about how to potentially get gimped less, maybe we should move onto one of the problems that KayLo! suggested. The discussion is being drawn out more than it needs to be.

I recommend discussing how to try and deal with Zelda's lack of approaches next.

I'm also tempted to keep a count of how many times KayLo! has facepalmed her brains out...

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
*facepalms her brains out*

Here, AL. Let me make it simple for you.

How to recover with Zelda:

1. DI properly.

2. FF bair to regain momentum and survive. Jump if you absolutely need to cancel your momentum, but saving your second jump is better.

3. If the other person comes out to hit you, avoid them with your airdodges, double jump, and air speed. Unless they're directly underneath you in a position to be spiked, you have nothing to combat 90% of the cast with in the air off-stage. Better to just try to make it back without taking damage.

Most people aren't stupid enough to put themselves in a vulnerable position as they're edgeguarding.

4. If you need to FW, you're all but ****ed.

It's really not that hard. Just be smart, avoid as much damage as you can, and get your feet back on the ground ASAP.

Next. Topic. Please.
Please don't dismiss the topic as if it is beneath you to discuss this that is pointless. There are times when you will need to DJ also to cancel you momentum and for those times how do you come back. Also just to try to clarify are you suggesting that the best way to make it back safely is to save your DJ and use air doddges couple with Zelda's air speed?

There is no such thing with Zelda. I've tried it in an actual match. I didn't slow down, hell I didn't even stop or went the other way. You keep going and the only thing that will somewhat slow you down is Bair, but your too worried about something that doesn't even exist with Zelda. I've done it before if you didn't slow down with the reversed Nayru's then you were doing it right.

One more thing, please don't bring up all this light info in front of me cause most of it will either get you killed or make you look like a fool. I'm so nice I'll bet my life guess I got a gambling problem.

Lets see if I can break your statements down.

"I mean if you recover 100% of the time with Zelda's up B then I don't know what to say."

Umm...have you tried recovering with sideB or any other B that she has? I didn't think so. It depends on the stage my opponent how high Zelda is and how far my opponent is from me. I mean you don't get the biggest boost a Din's but I've safely din's on top of SV moving platform and exploded that to get my opponent to shield just ot by some extra time. Does it work all the time no. Is there a lot of factors that can make something like that go against me yes.

"If you save your double jump was you able to get back to the stage with proper DI or did you go for the ledge."

First off its were, and second if I had SDI or perfect DI, as you call it, I wouldn't be going for the ledge cause I would already be above the stage thinking on a way to land on the ground.

I didn't say perfect DI but proper DI. You're right if you DI correctly you won't even need to use your upB.

"Do you up B from above or below the stage."

FW below makes you predictable. FW above is the same way. What's the difference? Below you have no choice, while above you do. What you mean below you have no choice and above you do? Do you mean you have to FW when you're below the stage and if you're above it you can get by with her DJ + air speed ?

I think, or hope to think, you know what I'm getting at here.
responses in bold.

Wait... are you under the stage? Like if you went straight up you would hit the stage?

If you are there, you failed mega-hard and probably will die. You have terrible odds of making it back. I have gotten really good at halberd and delfino at going from one edge to the other, but I practiced that.

I assume you meant you were away from the ledge and below the stage (if you went straight up, you would hit air then float down to your death). In battlefield's case, it's really easy to recover.
Under the stage and going straight up would kill me. That's the only proper I have when it comes to recovering. Yeah it does happen to me ever now and again not very often but I know Zelda can recover from that point it's just whenever I do the angle is too far out.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Plz, tell me that everyone here has noticed that People with Directional control up and Bs
(Fire fox or bird, Vanish, etc.)
Can auto cancel if you use it against the ledge downward in melee, but not in brawl?
I mean it sucks, you cant mindgame as good as you could in melee, that auto ledge cancel was just
Soooooo Perfect, Does anyone get me?
*Dont answer this if you dont know what im talking about....

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Yeah seriously guys, I think you guys are just acting like this because you don't like AL.

Im almost positive if someone like Kata or KayLo! posted this you would be all over it.

There is nothing wrong with trying to discuss her recovery, it is a weakness.

And what is this bull**** that the NL DI doesnt work. It most certainly does, you're just doing it wrong.

Idk, I would have thought some of you could actually post some informative stuff without getting raged into it. Everytime we have a discussion about some kind of wekaness it just turns into how much Zelda sucks and all you can do is ______ so deal with it and move on. Way to be creative guys, I commend you all.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
These 13 year old kids are kinda smart<_<

Which begs me to wonder what kind of terrible education was I getting lmao.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
Seen it. Tried it in an actual match. Nothing came from it.

Less you forget that the whole point to momentum cancel is to STOP all movement so that you can stay alive longer. IE Gdubs.

Yes before you respond to make yourself look better than me, I did watch the video and let me ask you this. Do you honestly believe you have that much room to cancel like that on a stage, save getting hit going to the opposite end of the stage? Aside from stages like FD, and Japes you can always just DI and Bair your way back to the stage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQsy8-zqh5Y

That's all I need for evidence on that matter.

As for AL's stupid little edit, I'm not gonna respond to anything so unless HSS replies back, I'm done with this pointless topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom