• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got nobody to play? A list of things you should practice by yourself

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Many of us Diddy mains who aren't kings of Wi-Fi (lol Wyatt) don't often have people to play against. This is obviously problematic because Diddy requires an absurd amount of tech skill to be good, and one can get rusty very quickly if one hasn't played in a while. This is a list of things you can practice in Training mode when you don't have anyone else around to keep you on your game.

If you can think of anything else to practice, please post and I'll add it to the list.

Difficulty: Beginnier

• Glide Tossing
    If you're really new to Diddy
  • Dribbling
    Glide Toss Backwards (throw Banana down) > Pickup Banana quickly > Repeat
  • Banana Pulls
    When you pull a Banana onstage, practice catching it with an Aerial (B-Air) or Instant Throwing it before it touches the ground.
  • Wall Infinite
    Practice this against a computer on Walk (so that he'll roll away ASAP):
    Have a Banana in hand and a Banana at your feet. When your opponent is against a wall, throw a Banana to trip him and then throw a second Banana before he can stand up. Then pick up the first Banana and throw it again, and then the second Banana and throw it again, all the while you are bouncing your opponent against the wall. There is a timing you have to learn in order to do it perfectly.
  • Double Banana Lock
    Practice this against a computer on Walk (so that he'll roll away ASAP):
    Have a Banana in hand and a Banana at your feet > Throw Banana (hit opponent) > Pickup Banana > Glide Toss Forward (throw Banana forward) > Pickup the first Banana again > Throw Banana > Pickup Banana > Glide Toss Forward > Repeat until edge
  • Picking up grounded Bananas with Aerials
    Practice picking up Bananas with rising F-Airs and B-Airs (Aerial as soon as you jump). Also practice:
    Glide Toss Backwards (throw Banana down) > Rising F-Air (picking up the Banana)
  • Dribble to Popgun
    While this might not seem like it is hard or needs practice, you have to learn how to not turn around during the Glide Toss:
    Glide Toss Backwards (throw Banana down) > Popgun
Difficulty: Intermediate
  • Monkey Flip Kick Cancel
    Learn how to use Side-B and IMMEDIATELY start the Kicking animation; you'll know if you've Kicked fast enough if you only hear a "Fwoosh" as Diddy flies through the air. This is important because if you manage to do this, you can Airdodge or Jump before you hit the ground. By Jumping, you can chase your foe, and by Airdodging you suffer no lag as you hit the ground. Practice this:
    Monkey Flip > QUICKLY Kick > Airdodge right before you land > Monkey Flip AGAIN, in the opposite direction > QUICKLY Kick > Repeat
  • Pivot Dribbling
    Glide Toss Forwards (throw Banana down) > Buffer a Turnaround > Pickup Banana quickly > Dribble some more
  • Aerials with a Banana in hand
    Jump > At the apex of the jump, Z-Drop > Aerial (you'll pick the Banana back up)
  • Wavebounce B-Reverse Popgun Canceling
    While you're in the air and moving sideways, press B to start a Popgun and then VERY QUICKLY smash the control stick in the opposite direction you're moving and hold Shield. You'll face the opposite way and reverse your momentum in mid-air.
  • Instant Throwing
    When you are in the air and a Banana is within Z-Grabbing distance, press Shield and a direction on the C-Stick at the same time to pickup and throw the Banana in very few frames.
  • Double Banana Pulls
    • Full Hop a non-smash Banana pull, jump and pull another Banana, and Z-Catch the first on your way down.
    • Full Hop off the side of the stage, pull two Bananas, and Instant Throw the second Banana as you jump back onstage.
Difficulty: Hard

• Double Drops
    Short Hop above Opponent > Throw Banana downwards > Instant Throw the Banana that bounces off your foe down, hitting the opponent again
  • BDACUS
    This takes ridiculous timing and practice, so don't fret if you're not getting it the first few tries.
    During a Buffer Window (10 frames at the end of any animation, particularly in this case a D-Tilt or Dribble) > Forward on Control Stick [> Neutral] > Up on C-Stick [> Neutral] > Up on C-Stick
  • Instant Wall Jump
    You have to be really, really fast to do this consistently:
    Hanging on a Ledge > Drop from the Ledge holding Down > QUICKLY AND SIMULTANEOUSLY Quarter-turn your Control Stick towards the stage while pressing Jump > B-Air/F-Air/Side-B/Whatever
  • Single Banana Lock*
    Short Hop above Opponent > Throw Banana downwards > Use D-Air to catch the Banana and instantly Fast Fall > Jump quickly and repeat, following the direction the opponent is bounced by the Banana

*NOTE: Try practicing the SNL on short characters first (Meta Knight), then tall characters (Snake), then fat characters (Dedede); if you can do it against all three types, you should be able to SNL everyone.

I'm going to keep this thread less organized than my others until the list gets larger. Consider this v0.1

Broletariat

Smash Cadet
Haha, I was watching the social that sparked this. Anyway, I've got some things to add, it'll be in the edit.

Edit:
Don't forget advanced ledge and recovery options that are essential for well-rounded play. Just link your kongpendium and point at it with a stick.

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
Add B reverse popgun cancel to the list.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
lol b reverse wavebounced popgun z drop bair :3...yea thats how legit i am.

white peachy

Smash Ace
How about picking up grounded bananas with aerials. (i.e. Fair or Bair most of the time). Also all the different things you can do with monkey flip, including starting the kick early enough to jump out of it/cancel it. Diddy always has tons of stuff to practice, good idea.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
There we go! I added pickup up Bananas with Aerials, Instant Wall Jump, Monkey Flip Kick Cancel, and I moved Pivot Dribbling from Hard to Intermediate. What else should I add?

And Kaptain Kong, the whole point is this is for beginners (note that Glide Tossing is on there ;P)

Yikarur

Smash Master
I know the discussion and you get the point wrong.

"That's what he means by wavebouncing.

Perhaps it's B-reversing that he's talking about, "

Wavebounce is when you face left and change your momentum and face in the same direction after the wavebounce.
B-Reversal is change your momentum and change the facing direction from left to right. (and reverse)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFlwgvN3PWM Wavebounce

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T92bx6jE_hM B-Reversal

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I know the discussion and you get the point wrong.

"That's what he means by wavebouncing.

Perhaps it's B-reversing that he's talking about, "

Wavebounce is when you face left and change your momentum and face in the same direction after the wavebounce.
B-Reversal is change your momentum and change the facing direction from left to right. (and reverse)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFlwgvN3PWM Wavebounce

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T92bx6jE_hM B-Reversal
:T

The video that I posted called what you're calling a B-Reversal a Wavebounce, and it's clearly not Lucas's Wavebounce he's talking about.

Luigi player

Smash Master
A wavebounce is when you reverse your momentum.... no matter what direction you're facing before/after the wb.

B-reversing is just turning around with a B move (no momentum change)...

At least that's what I thought.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
A wavebounce is when you reverse your momentum.... no matter what direction you're facing before/after the wb.

B-reversing is just turning around with a B move (no momentum change)...

At least that's what I thought.
In other words, what I'm describing is both Wavebouncing and B-Reversing. That makes more sense now; I'll update the OP. Sorry for the confusion :x

EDIT: 555

Yikarur

Smash Master
"- B-Move Technique: B-Reversal
How to Perform: Enter the input for any B-move, then slam the joystick in the opposite direction your character is facing before the animation begins. Can be done with all types of specials, not just Neutral B, but not all specials can be reversed. A list of compatible moves can be found in the Lists section of this post.
Effect: Character's horizontal momentum is completely canceled/reversed, character faces opposite direction, B-move executes. Can be used during dashes and jumps for easy pivoting too.
OP: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=155369"

"- B-Move Technique: Recoil Special (a.k.a. Wave-bouncing, B-sticking)
How to Perform: In the air, B-Reverse a Turnaround B or a backwards side-B. This is more easily accomplished by pushing the joystick forward and the C-stick backwards with the C-stick set to Specials.
Effect: Character's horizontal momentum is completely canceled/reversed, character stays facing the same direction, B-move executes. Can be used to space projectile approaches.
'All About Wavebouncing' by Rkey: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=191605
OP: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=152409
More info: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=152815"

ChocoNaner

Smash Journeyman
You should prolly add Fsmashing and Dtilting when you have a naner at hand. :I Mabee picking up naners with DAC too.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
lol fun stuff to do is double jump asap backwards, z drop nanner, pick up with dair cancel, then continue. u look like an acrobat its awesome :3

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I added BDACUS (yeah, that was long overdue), but until I see a clear consecutive order of button presses that constitute a PSNL, I'm not adding it. By that, I am hoping for my usual format of

Input buttons with + between them together:
Forward on Control Stick + Up on C-Stick

Input buttons one after another by separating them with > brackets:
Drop from ledge > Jump

Top Bottom