• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario's Week 25 Matchup Discussion: Sonic

Padô

Smash Lord
Not Furry Week anymore.

SONIC
We leak good Sonics in Brazil, all I know is that we can bite his spinning campy thing.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Don't spam Bite, a good Sonic will cancel his cancel to cancel his cancel his cancel, proceed to jump and attack you from above (don't ask me how all this works).

No really, don't ask, just don't spam Bite.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
I dont wanna type a wall right now so ill keep it simple..

Nair is really good
Bite to edge guard like DDD
Fair is good
shield + upair is good
watch for the jablock

Gichan

Smash Champion
finally a character we really have to discuss. Sonic is all **** gimmicks, I don't know how to deal with all the cancelling he does. Someone already mentioned one of the best things to say, don't spam bite because they have worked on something that gives them a hard time.

We need someone liie phantomx to type a wall of text to explain this matchup. From what I see in his matches against Espy, Sonic really isn't that easy to deal with.

Asa

Smash Hero
if the sonic gives you the opportunity you can gimp his up-b by grabbing him out of it

does sonic have any good grab release options?

watch for the jablock
what's his setup for the jablock?

Lord Chair

Smash Master
if the sonic gives you the opportunity you can gimp his up-b by grabbing him out of it

does sonic have any good grab release options?

what's his setup for the jablock?
I don't believe he can air release us, and even if he does the best he can do is bair.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
@jablock: The sonics i plays have not done the jablock on me, but im rather sure that it starts with a dthrow or he will knock you off a platform when you have your shield out and jab like that.

@Grab release: We do Ground break so we shouldnt wory about this too much unless we are on a platform or we get grabbed off the edge. (i will edit this post on what he can do to us after i get home)

Fair
up air
bair
nair
dair
up tilt
up smash
fsmash

60:40

Waymas

Smash Journeyman
bike and bite works for this matchup imo , yea you can gr his upb if he fails at life , but beware of the gay spin campin :p obviously in wario advantage i would say 65-35 , also be really patient

Gichan

Smash Champion
65:35 is correct BUT Sonics are catching on to Warios, so that number may have changed or will change soon enough. they have many gimmicks, that spinning cancelling crap screws our spacing up. Also, those B moves are pretty disjointed and sometimes suck you in. Like, we need to discuss ways to deal with it, like, if they hit our shield with a B move what is the best oos option?

ChomP

Smash Cadet
I usually nair oos. Also I use Uair oos if they try to use their neutral b

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Sigh, alright then:

Bite only works if you predict a direct spindash (whatever it is called) approach. If you allow Sonic to see you Biting, he'll just cancel his cancel into his cancel to cancel to a dair coming from above. Alternatively, if you Bite while Sonic is charging his spindash he will just keep charging it until Bite is almost over and get you in the cooldown frames.

Obvious Wario stuff works against Sonic, Sonic is capable of catching Wario's landing due to his massive ground speed, Sonic's fair has landing lag and therefore is a bad move low to the ground (which makes his front vulnerable). Sonic has trouble killing Wario so long as you space well and don't jump into fully charged fsmashes. Bair will be Sonics main killer, while it is at the same time also crucial for bringing in the much needed damage. Expect to live stupidly long, especially when Sonic gets his bair stale.

Sonic offstage is free damage.

Sonic gets his part of the matchup on the ground, techchasing Wario and catching him on his landing.

Sorry for a simple summary like that, not really motivated for extensive stuff.

Top Bottom