• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Super Smash Bowl (Sat. 2/6/2010) BRING SETUPS!

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master

The Super Smash Bowl
Apologies for the late posting, I had to yell @ Space and Planning in order to get this finalized. :)

What's the best way to get hype for the Super Bowl? Smash Bros!

The Skinny
If you are late and you want to stay in the bracket you will have to pay a $4 fee (which will be put in the pot) to stay in the bracket. If you are late by 45 minutes or later, you will be automatically removed from tournament play, regardless of whether or not you paid.
  • With your entrance into this tourney, you hereby give your right for all your matches to be recorded.
  • There will be NO FOOD allowed in the venue. If I see anyone eating anything, you forfeit your next round of matches. If you want to eat, take it outside (there are several benches outside, plus several study/break rooms for you to eat, but make sure to throw your trash away).
  • Drinks are allowed, but make sure that your drink is closed container. If I see any spills with any kind of drink, then drinks will be prohibited, and a similar rule will be in effect as the one above.
  • Pausing without warning or acceptance from the opponents will result in a loss of that round.
  • I reserve the right to remove entrants from the tournament @ my discretion should there be any reason for additional removals of entrants
  • Livestreaming the tourney is a possibility
  • Bring foldable chairs if you have them! The venue is a little bit smaller than the one I reserved last time, meaning there won't be as many chairs. 25 seats are guaranteed to be there, but it's better to err on the side of caution.
Location/Contact info:
West Side Activity Room
555 8th St. NW
Atlanta, GA 30318​
Contact info:
Here’s my number: (404)-574-0320. Call me if you get lost or you have any questions or if you are going to show up late. My aim, gchat, yahoo, and msn chat is on my profile; my facebook chat is on my homepage tab. So there’s no excuse not to be in touch ;)

Setups
Bring Setups! There is a projector screen @ the location, but that is it. Tourneys go faster when people bring setups. I am aiming to have ten setups, so add a reply in below to let me know.

Pricing/Prizes​

No door fee! :)
Brawl singles: $8
Melee singles: $8
Brawl doubles: $16 per team
Melee doubles: $16 per team

Pot split for all events will be 70/20/10
You can also pre-register on paypal. Just send $7.50 (this is to help defray the costs of the convenience fee) to kingshavy@gmail.com. Be sure to put the title of the thread under the reason that you are sending the money & screencap the receipt for record keeping purposes (this keeps everyone honest). Preregistration lasts until Wednesday, February 3, 2010 @ 23:59.59.
One more thing: Bring Exact Change for All Events. In the event of an emergency, there is a Bank of America ATM next door (on 8th Street, by the West Side Market). But seriously, don’t be that guy that brings $40 and asks people to split it. No one will, and you won’t play. Simple as that. :)

Schedule:

1300 (1pm) Registration opens
1400 (2pm) Melee & Brawl Doubles starts
1700 (5pm) Melee & Brawl Singles Start
I would like to have half of the TVs running tourney matches, and the other half friendlies or MM. After the event ends, all TVs will be available for friendlies and/or MM. The tourney officially ends @ 2200 (10pm), or when all tourney matches have ended, whichever is earlier.

Melee Rules:
  • This is a double elimination tourney. Pools may or may not be added depending on the number of people.
  • Items off.
  • Ties are broken by remaining lives, then %. If both criteria are tied, then the Sudden Death match will be played out.
  • First stage is random from the Neutral stages listed below.
  • The loser of the first match will announce a new stage to play on for the next game. The winner will then be allowed to switch characters, followed by the loser. Apply the same logic for the third match (and fourth/fifth when applicable) if there is one. (Advanced Slob Picks)
  • No stage may be used twice in a single set if the counter-picking player has already won on that stage, unless the opponent agrees to use the stage again. (Dave's Stupid Rule)
  • Double Blind character pick can be called at anytime before the first game of a set starts, and only apply to the first game.
  • Each person (or team) may choose one stage to be disabled for the entire set at the START OF THE SET, after characters have been chosen but before the random stage has been picked.
  • Controller Mods, Glitches (IC Freeze Glitch, Mewtwo Soul Stunner, etc), and tactics used to stall a match (wall-bombing, rising pound), are banned.
  • Wobbling is permitted up to 300% or for the duration of 30 seconds, whichever is shorter. Any Wobbling above said amounts will result in a loss of the current game being played.
  • For doubles: Team Attack will be ON, life stealing allowed.
Stage List
Neutrals:
- Battlefield
- Final Destination
- Yoshi's Story
- Pokemon Stadium
- Dreamland 64
- Fountain of Dreams (Singles only)

Counterpicks:
- Pokefloats
- Jungle Japes
- Kongo Jungle 64
- Mute City
- Rainbow Cruise
- Brinstar
- Corneria

Banned:
everything else

Brawl Rules:
  • Items off.
  • Ties are broken by remaining lives, then %. If both criteria are tied, then the Sudden Death match will be played out.
  • First stage will be determined through stage striking from the Neutral stages listed below.
  • The loser of the first match will announce a new stage to play on for the next game. The winner will then be allowed to switch characters, followed by the loser. Apply the same logic for the third match (and fourth/fifth when applicable) if there is one. (Advanced Slob Picks)
  • No stage may be used twice in a single set if the counter-picking player has already won on that stage, unless the opponent agrees to use the stage again. (Dave's Stupid Rule)
  • Double Blind character pick can be called at anytime before the first game of a set starts, and only apply to the first game.
  • Each person (or team) may choose one stage to be disabled for the entire set at the START OF THE SET, after characters have been chosen but before the random stage has been picked.
  • Controller Mods, Glitches, and tactics used to stall a match (wall-bombing, rising pound), are banned
  • King Dedede's Standing Infinite is banned.
  • Japanese Ledge Rule is in effect. More than 35 ledge grabs and you lose the match.
  • For doubles: Team Attack will be ON, life stealing allowed.
Neutral:
Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Lylat

Couterpicks:
Brinstar
Delfino
Castle Siege
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 1
Frigate Orpheon
Norfair
Pictochat

Banned:
everything else

1 Stage ban per person
3 Stocks
8 Minute Time Limit

I need setups as always. Please post if you plan to bring anything and post what you plan on bringing so I can organize ahead of time.

Setups:
- thegreatkazoo: Two recording setups, Wii, Melee, Brawl

Totals:
----------------------------------------------
If overnight housing is needed, I will be glad to provide it. I have room for four people in my apartment (which is three floors above the activity room). If you also have housing in the area, be sure to add a reply and I will add you to the list as well.

Those offering housing:
At venue- thegreatkazoo
---------------------------------------------
Transportation Concerns

I know that for many of us, transportation is the biggest concern when heading to a tourney. These issues and all possible solutions are discussed below.
So, the largest john that I often hear when it comes to going to tourneys is “transportation johns!” :urg: Well, my tourney is going to put an end to that—hopefully.
Okay, for those of you without cars, MARTA (& Georgia Tech Transportation) can get you to the venue with you possibly walking for only 2 minutes. I could go into painstaking detail for every single case, but rather than do that; I will post the link for the rail lines and the respective conncetions for them here. In order to make it simpler, if you are interested into coming along and don’t have a ride, do the following: List the city you’re in, and I will give you detailed list of directions on how to get here.
http://www.itsmarta.com/uploadedFile...p_internal.pdf
http://www.itsmarta.com/uploadedFile...p_exterior.pdf
Regardless of your choice, you will be getting off on the same stop, which is Midtown (N4).

Once on the Midtown station, exit on the West Peachtree St. exit and wait for the Tech Trolley.
The Tech Trolley Looks like this

Hop on the Tech Trolley and get off on the stop that is on the intersection of Ferst and Hemphill. NB You can find out when the next Tech Trolley is arriving by going to Next Bus on your internet enabled device, picking Georgia Tech, then selecting Tech Trolley (to Campus Rec Center)

Walk up Hemphill Avenue, take a left on 8th street, the venue will be on your left (it’s next door to the West Side Market)​

For those who don’t want to go on Marta:
Please post if you will need a ride or will be willing to offer rides so that we can make sure everyone comes to this.

Needs a ride:

Offering rides:
--------------------------------------------
Nearby Food

Below I will post nearby restaurants (within a ½ mile) and their numbers so that people may coordinate their food breaks. If you are in the mood for someplace else, just ask for one in a reply.

Rocky Mountain Pizza Company
1005 Hemphill Ave NW, Atlanta, GA
(404) 876-8600 ‎

Firehouse Subs
537 10th St NW
Atlanta, GA 30318-5713
(404) 724-4616

Pizza K
543 10th St NW
Atlanta, GA 30318
(404) 885-1120

Papa John’s
990 State St NW
Atlanta, GA 30318
(404) 872-5252

City Café Diner
525 10th St NW
Atlanta, GA 30318-5713
(404) 724-0407

Lucky Buddha
529 10th St NW
Atlanta, GA 30318-5713
(404) 885-1518

Jersey Mike’s
1000 Northside Dr NW
Atlanta, GA 30318-0306
(404) 724-0760

Five Guys
1000 Northside Dr NW
Atlanta, GA 30318-0306
(404) 724-0760

McDonalds
1105 Northside Dr NW
Atlanta, GA 30318-5416
(404) 876-6766

Burger King
1123 Northside Dr NW
Atlanta, GA 30318-5416
(404) 872-8630

If you are interested or have any questions, please shoot a reply below. I look forward to seeing all of you there! :)

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
Well, I like the idea and I'd love to see a decent sized GA tournament pop up for this weekend.

However... WTF with the 7$ entry?
How random.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Well, I like the idea and I'd love to see a decent sized GA tournament pop up for this weekend.

However... WTF with the 7$ entry?
How random.
I wanted to drop the price some from last time, so no one would john about the price.

Still experimenting with the pricing though (not for this one, but just for future reference...)

DJRome

Smash Hero
i suggest making it $8 for a $15 for both events. also, why not new mbr stagelist?

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
i suggest making it $8 for a $15 for both events. also, why not new mbr stagelist?
I may be changing the price for this.

It won't be >$10, but it will be posted here before midnight.

I'll also check out the MBR stage list as well...

EDIT: Price has been changed to $8. The price won't go up again.

Rayku

Smash Lord
Is this on the day of the Superbowl (sorry, I don't keep up with football at all). If so, you should definitely have it playing while the tournament goes on.

I've got interest in going.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
I think the Superbowl is on Sunday.

lol I'm such a scrub at football.

and actually yeah. SUPERBOWL SUNDAY. That sounds right.

BearsAreScary

Smash Journeyman
tong and jeff and xif might maybe show up

i will be out of town on this day, so unfortunate
i'm too good at smash bros anyway

D

Deleted member

I should be able to make this tourney, and the super bowl is definitely on sunday.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
i may come to this just to watch/play friendlies seeing as all my money is caught up in bioshock 2 right now. if my money situation changes i'll definitely be entering, though.

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
I'll be there obviously since I'm on campus. It would be dumb not to! I'll also bring a full recording setup for Brawl only.

I'll notify 4GOD and a few of the other Tech smashers about this (like F3NiX and what not) and get them to show up. I know some scrubs who might want to show too.

I can also house people if they need it. I have a spare bed in my room and 3 couches. So a total of four people can come back to my place to continue friendlies and sleep if they so wish it.

Hope you guys can all come. Kind of short notice but oh well. I hope to maybe do something similar to this on a regular basis actually. I'm going to contact Kazoo about that.

EDIT: yeah so I just contacted some people and I probably just got at least nine more people (including myself) to show probably. So you guys should come. I'll work at getting even more.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
A few responses. Oh, and one other thing for the people who are showing up:

Bring Setups!

tong and jeff and xif might maybe show up

i will be out of town on this day, so unfortunate
i'm too good at smash bros anyway
Obv. :012:

I can come to this. Awesome.
Yea!

Ch'mmoooooooooooon get hype for this guys.
Lets have a melee tournament where entrance exceeds 10 people please?

:dizzy:
It is a pretty easy place to get to, so hopefully we get a 10< turnout for Meree.

ill definitely try and make it to this
If you do, please bring a setup.

I should be able to make this tourney, and the super bowl is definitely on sunday.
Obv. again :012:

i may come to this just to watch/play friendlies seeing as all my money is caught up in bioshock 2 right now. if my money situation changes i'll definitely be entering, though.
Bioshock2 eh? Well, that works.

I'll be there obviously since I'm on campus. It would be dumb not to! I'll also bring a full recording setup for Brawl only.

I'll notify 4GOD and a few of the other Tech smashers about this (like F3NiX and what not) and get them to show up. I know some scrubs who might want to show too.

I can also house people if they need it. I have a spare bed in my room and 3 couches. So a total of four people can come back to my place to continue friendlies and sleep if they so wish it.

Hope you guys can all come. Kind of short notice but oh well. I hope to maybe do something similar to this on a regular basis actually. I'm going to contact Kazoo about that.

EDIT: yeah so I just contacted some people and I probably just got at least nine more people (including myself) to show probably. So you guys should come. I'll work at getting even more.
Short notice because Space & Planning make up johns for everything. The last one I hosted took three weeks for them to finalize my reservation.

As for doing this a bit more regularly, we'll see. You have my number, so feel free to give me a call.

Also, I have plenty of space @ my place as well for those needing to crash...

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Anyone coming from duluth or alpharetta or johnscreek? i live like in the middle of all these places.. i go to school in duluth, i use to live in alpharetta, then it got changed to johnscreek (i didnt move houses) so yea.

EDIT: yeah i forgot, ill bring a wii If all things go well.

mercy

Smash Apprentice
If I learn how to play Marth between now and Sunday, I'll come. With a setup too.

BigLøu

Smash Lord
ooo boy...

Dyno if no one else can get you I will man up and get you, for a small bit of gas money if that's not asking for too much

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
ooo boy...

Dyno if no one else can get you I will man up and get you, for a small bit of gas money if that's not asking for too much
That would be great lou thanks a lot. I hope its not too far out of the way from where you start driving to pick me up to where you end. rather than just start to end.

Blu3r

Smash Cadet
hopefully i can go and won't get stuck babysitting. i need so much practice >__>

BearsAreScary

Smash Journeyman
after telling ivysaur about this yesterday, he has also expressed interest (melee ofc - or he'll beat your *** at blazblue if you prefer)

RJsHouse

Smash Apprentice
Is anyone able to give me a ride?
Becausee my ride tomorrow is unclear with my relatives and parents going to work.

T3h Albino

Smash Master
I thought i wouldn't like the matchup when I started playing them, but after a while they've grown on me. *kind of like how d3 dittos have* =]

Top Bottom