• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shell Shocked Monthlies -~- College Park, MD -~- 5/8

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Shell Shocked VI. College Park, Maryland.

Hosted by me, Joe Silver aka IMPRESSIVEMANJOE.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

The idea is to have Melee tournaments at UMCP on a monthly basis and then to have Friday smashfests on off weeks. Smashfests start around 7 PM.

Smashfest thread:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=247761

Tournament Location:

Basement in LaPlata Hall (located beside the North Campus Diner and the Eppley Recreation Center)
College Park, MD 20742

Link to College Park Interactive Map:

http://www.parking.umd.edu/themap/

Thumbnail:

http://seamster.cs.umd.edu:8090/map/index.html#

Smashfest Location (NOT Tournament Venue; see above):

University Of Maryland South Campus Commons Building #6, Room 6313
4230 Knox Road
College Park, MD 20742

Calendar:

Smashfest - 2/5
Smashfest - 2/12
Smashfest (LaPlata basement) - 2/19
Smashfest (LaPlata basement?) - 2/26
Smashfest - 3/5
Shell Shocked VI - 3/6
Results: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=268008
Smashfest - 3/23 (Tuesday)
Smashfest - 4/2
Shell Shocked VII - 4/3
Results: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=270930
Shell Shocked VIII - 5/8
Results: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=274262

Entry Fee:

Singles: 10$
Teams: 10$ per person (20$ per team)
Venue Fee: None

Pot Distribution:

60% / 30% / 10%

Tournament Schedule:

11 AM: Arrive; warm-ups.
1 PM: Teams.
4 PM: Singles.

Rules:

-4 Stock
-2/3 Sets
-3/5 Finals
-8 Minute time limit
-Items off
-Ties broken by lives, then %
-Double blind character pick can be called at anytime
-Stage Knockout: Each person (or in the case of doubles, each team) may choose one stage to be disabled for the entire set; it must be chosen at the beginning of the set
-Advanced Slob Picks: Loser may choose the next stage or select to go random; the winner may then change their character, followed by the loser
-Bring your own controller
-Controller mods, glitches (Ice Climbers' Freeze glitch, Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, etc.), and tactics used to stall a match (wall bombing, rising pound, etc.) are banned
-Team attack will be ON
-Life stealing allowed

Stagelist:

Singles

Neutrals: Final Destination, Yoshi's Story, Dreamland, Battlefield, Fountain of Dreams

Counterpicks: Kongo Jungle, Brinstar, Rainbow Cruise, Pokemon Stadium

Doubles

Neutrals: Final Destination, Yoshi's Story, Dreamland, Battlefield, Pokemon Stadium

Counterpicks: Kongo Jungle, Brinstar, Rainbow Cruise

Stage Striking will be in effect for the first match of the set. The player with the lower port will get to choose the first stage to strike. Loser chooses ban before next match.

One ban per player per set. To be chosen after loss.

Modified DSR: You cannot go back to the last stage you won in a set, unless agreed upon by the other player.

The player choice clause: If both players agree to a rule outside my ruleset, feel free to play by that. If one player wants to counterpick Mute City, and the other player is fine with that because they think it's a fair stage, then that is more than fine. However, in the event the two players disagree, house rules stand.

My AIM: ChivalRuse
My #: (443) 847-3233
My E-Mail: jows_crisis@yahoo.com
ChRed's #: (240) 778-4089

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Okay, Eggm. I will revise the ruleset. Also, due to there being no venue fee, 10$ for singles should be acceptable.

SnackAttack: We should be able to accommodate you if you need housing. I'll ask for volunteers, but if necessary, I can give you a sleeping bag, and you can sleep in the LaPlata lounge on a couch or on the floor, which is carpeted.

The Newb

Smash Ace
I like this. I like this a lot.

I just wish the smashfests didn't start so late. To make those, I'd get rush hour in the teeth.

sonofashrub

Smash Apprentice
I like this. I like this a lot.

I just wish the smashfests didn't start so late. To make those, I'd get rush hour in the teeth.
if you want to arrive earlier to beat the traffic, there's always a chance any of us fine gentlemen who live on campus can just hang out or whatever until the smashfest starts.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
This. Sounds. Amazing.

You can confirm me right now. Power rankings sound like a hilariously good idea. I'll talk maaad ****.

*IMPORTANT*
edit: I just thought of a fantastic idea. I was planning on attending 2 fests this weekend. I was thinking of going to the fest in CP this Friday, then driving back to Charlottesville for the night, waking up, and driving 4.5 hours to a Brawl/Melee tourney called 99% Melee in North Carolina on Saturday. I could still do that; the idea still sounds pretty good to me. However, I'd rather attend Tunes' biweekly in New Jersey (3 hours from CP) because it'd save me 3 hours of driving, probably have a few better players, and be exclusively Melee. So what I was thinking was that I'd go to Tunes' with 4 other people carpooling with me. The catch is that I'd need to be able to sleep somewhere on Friday and Saturday nights. So I'd be willing to drive anyone in CP for free in exchange for a floor to sleep on. :)

Whoever can't house me can come too, but would have to pay a little gas (sorry; it won't be much if we can get a full car). If we have more than 4 people who want to come, people with setups will have priority. If no one is interested in heading up to Jersey with me, I'll just go to North Carolina like I planned. Either way, I need to know interest for this proposal soon.

TELL ME NOW IF YOU WANT TO COME.

FuzzyManPeach

Smash Rookie
Yeah I'm on campus and I have smash and a sofa, should you want to crash at my place. I get out of class at around 2 so if you wanted to get here 2 hours earlier to beat the traffic you can hit me up and I will accommodate you.

Also, there is supposed to be a ridiculous snowstorm coming this weekend so pending the weather you may end up stuck on campus...just a thought.

Anyways, name's Max and you can reach me at 4109601495.

The Newb

Smash Ace
Also, there is supposed to be a ridiculous snowstorm coming this weekend so pending the weather you may end up stuck on campus...just a thought.

Anyways, name's Max and you can reach me at 4109601495.
True enough. Either way, I'm interested in Melee basically all the time. It's just the weather this weekend might prove difficult.

Also, I'm down to play whoever is available that early on the campus. If nobody's around, I'll just cruise college park :chuckle:

Jove

Smash Journeyman
crimson- if you go to that then I cant come, but if you want to go to it then thats fine, im not gonna hold you back. and what about this snowstorm? is it gonna be really big or moderately big?

FuzzyManPeach

Smash Rookie
as far as the snowstorm I've heard a number of different things but at the moment they're calling for 12-20 inches starting in the afternoon on Friday so...yeah I don't know whether you want to risk it or not, but I thought I'd give everyone a head's up.

The Newb

Smash Ace
I'll see what the weather's looking like Friday afternoon. If it's snowing as hard as they say it will be, I'll pass.

That being said, I'd still be down for one of the smashfests in the future.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
crimson- if you go to that then I cant come, but if you want to go to it then thats fine, im not gonna hold you back. and what about this snowstorm? is it gonna be really big or moderately big?
Yea, I was just putting the idea out there. It doesn't look like anybody wants to anyway.

Everything is up to the snow right now...meh. This winter has been the most ridiculous winter ever. Stupid blizzards every other week.

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
wow you ****ing suck !!

like no joke now i have to choose between this and brawl >_>

why couldnt people listen when i said to have them on different dates >_>

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
I can't wait to be at one of these and NOT constantly TOing. Though I guess I will still be helping a fair bit.

Also Joe you sure about the $5 per player fee for teams? I know we still had more teams than singles at SSIV, despite the price.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I have singles at 10$ because it makes it worthwhile for good players to show up. Also, 5$ teams will encourage more locals to enter.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
I might be able to come to the one on 3/6, we'll see what happens when that date gets a bit closer.

Top Bottom