• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

THRILLER: This was it. Congrats to Cao, Amaterasu, Tibs, Shaya, Meteor and Unreon <3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
This Is It: Thriller

Saturday + Sunday Schedule:

Saturday:
09:30 - Doors Open (Registrations)
11:00 - Melee Pools Start
13:30 - Brawl Singles Pools Start (conversion of TVs as required)
17:00 - Melee Doubles Bracket Start
18:00 - Brawl Doubles Bracket Start
Brawl Doubles may be postponed (as required from Melee) / both may only be partially completed on Saturday.

Sunday:
9:30 - Doors open
10:30 - Finishing up of Melee Doubles
11:30 - Melee Singles Bracket
13:30 - Brawl Doubles Bracket Start / Finish
Brawl Singles Brackets to start shortly after doubles completion.

Hopeful completion of most main stream events by 19:30
Times given are rough estimates and events may be postponed or started early if prior events are completed in a timely manner.
Draft Thriller Brawl Pools

Pool 1
Daz
Scabe
Fruityman
Shaya
Alzi
Vermy

Pool 2
Gords
Meteor
SummonerAU
Tibs
ILAG
Nicks

Pool 3
PmAn
Amaterasu
Rad
S.D
~Chu~
Zxv

Pool 4
tedeth
Sieg
Hotdogs
Druckey
Silfa

Pool 5
Earl
Melancholy
luke_atyeo
Nova
KEITA

Pool 6
Wolfy
ViVa
J-Birds
Liam
Bjay

Pool 7
Attila
e_alert
Nanda
Toby
Vyse

Pool 8
Stray
swordsaintscoot
C~Dog
testikills
Zero_
MELEE POOLS

Pool 1
CAOTIC (VIC)
unreon (NSW)
J-Birds (QLD)
Bjay (NSW)
Ehren (NSW)
Toby. (NSW)

Pool 2
S.D (NSW)
Vyse (QLD)
Zxv (NSW)
Keru (NSW)
Silfa (NSW)
Nova (SA)

Pool 3
Sloth (QLD)
Kulla? (NSW)
Attila (VIC)
Meteor Master (NSW)
KenCombo (NSW)
testikills (QLD)
e_alert (NSW)

Pool 4
Turtle (NSW)
tibs (VIC)
Shaya (NSW)
Sieg (QLD)
Gords (NSW)
Scabe (NSW)

Pool 5
Kupo (VIC)
Jaz (NSW)
Hotdogs (QLD)
IGIF (NSW)
SummonerAU (NSW)
Ellipsis (NSW)

Pool 6
Amaterasu (QLD)
tedeth (NSW)
Earl (VIC)
Melancholy (NSW)
atyeo (NSW)
Megapup (NSW)
Daz (NSW)

3 to emerge from each.

Poster Version

Important Threads/Links
Pre-Registration Topic
AIB Link
If you are attending Thriller, please pre-register!
Thriller Brigade!
For all things [President of] Culture related, including the Thriller Dance rehearsals and general plans for out-of-tournament experiences!
Thriller Housing
Post here to look for people to house with or get a hotel with. Also if you are able to house please consider making yourself known!

Consider Watching:

Thriller Promo & HYPE Video
Queensland's Rebuttle: for they are Smooth Criminals
The original feature length Thriller video.

Dates
Saturday the 10th through to Sunday the 11th of April, 2010

Events
- Super Smash Bros. Melee: Singles & Doubles
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Singles & Doubles
- Street Fighter IV & BlazBlue run by OzHadou OFFICIAL: http://ozhadou.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4873 for registration!: OzHadou venue fee includes Day One venue fee ($20). So cost is $10 + $5 each for singles/doubles.
...and if time permits
- Brawl and Melee Regional Crew Battles
- Screw THAT: BOWLING REGIONAL CREW BATTLES
- THE GANON CHALLENGE
- Duelist Pro
- Pokémon (4th gen) Overused Singles (or other DS funsies?)

Location / Venue

Located in Sydney's Eastern Suburbs, 10 minutes from the City and even closer to the Airport, The New Market Hotel and the Manhatten Superbowl is in an epicentre of public transport and also has free parking.

Address:
549 Gardeners Road, Mascot NSW 2020
Parking via Tramway Street (off of Botany Rd)
Google Maps Link

Mascot Train Station is a short walk from the venue. The following Bus Routes also travel to within walking distance of the venue:
400, 309, 310, 20, 343, 301, 303
There are more details in the Boost thread on all these bus routes in the First Post

Tournament Rooms
Thriller is using two venue rooms on both days. One large room that is used for regular Boost tournaments below the bowling alley, and another smaller room upstairs of the Hotel. Both will be used to adequately space out concurrent events.
However, due to the smaller room requiring access through the Hotel, use of the second room will most likely be restricted to non-minors on Saturday.

Facilities
The venue is split up with a bowling alley above us and next door to a Pub/Hotel.
The Bowling Alley is open until midnight on both Saturday and Sunday nights.
The Hotel is open until 3am on Saturday and midnight on Sunday.
Both the bowling alley and the hotel serve food, drinks and alcohol. In general, please avoid bringing in outside food or drink.
The alley upstairs of course offers bowling (with a discounted price for patrons) and has an arcade.

Feeding Us
For all patrons over the two days, included in the venue fee are two meals. These are given to you in the form of vouchers that you can redeem at any time at the Bistro in the Hotel or by ordering upstairs at the bowling alley.
Things available are
- 250g Grain fed Rump steak w/one side (chips, salad, mash or vegetables)
- Beef Burger and Chips
- Beer Battered Flathead Fillets and Chips
- Basil and Ricotta Gnocchi
- Chicken Caesar Salad
- Margarita Pizza
- Ham and Pineapple Pizza
- Lamb Wrap and Chips
These are the standard meals available. I am under the impression more meals will be available for redemption than what is normally on offer during the weekend.

Costs and Necessities

It is necessary that you have legal photo I.D. on you at all times.
As the venue is a licensed premises, it is required that minors are noted.
All attendants are expected to have their own controllers (Gamecube controllers are preferred for Smash over Wiimotes)

Venue Fee: $30 for the two days (includes two meals valued between $10-15 each)
Tournament Fee: $10 for an individual event of a game, $15 for both.
As in $10 for Brawl Doubles only, $15 for singles and doubles. Seperate fees for Brawl and Melee.

The Staff

Shaya (Jean-Paul) - Main Coordinator/Organiser. Please relay any questions specific to the event itself to me through the boards or through email (kingshaya@gmail.com). Will be active in managing brawl events throughout the weekend.

S.D (Sam) - Main man of Melee. Sam will be the main man in terms of seeding, organising and managing the melee events over the weekend.

CAOTIC (David) - The President of Culture and well-versed in all organisation. An extremely experienced Tournament Organiser who will be strongly involved in non-gaming activities throughout the period. He also will probably have some Melee responsibilities because he is cool like that.

Condog (Conor) - Brawl Coordinator. Conor is an up and coming Tournament Organiser in Melbourne and will be helping the running and managing of the brawl events at Thriller. He also happens to be awesome at graphic design, and has contributed a lot already (look at that awesome poster!)

Want to help out? Both Melee and Brawl will require people to manage and be in charge of pools. Managing the bracket and the input of results will be restricted. I probably only need one more person to help coordinate Brawl, and you are best to contact S.D or CAO if you wish to help with Melee or CULTURE. Both games will need help in running pools though, so if you are happy to help please contact me!

-

Thriller will be the first competitive (prize money) Smash Major in Sydney in almost? three years. From my understanding it will be the first to ever not be run by CAOTIC. I wish for this to break all the records of previous Sydney tournaments, setting a new benchmark for our currently active players to remember and to break in the future.
I hope for Thriller to be the best it can possibly be in delivering a hyped event. As a region I consider the strongest in the country for Brawl I hope to offer the highest competitive standard possible since Rocky of last year (I could only wish to offer more, but the lack of Perth's corpsecreate makes this problematic). Melee is not to be forgotten too, as New South Wales continues to find new talent and recently respark interest in older players; and S.D recently coming second in SQUAT beating out Accelerate (3rd place @ Rocky) and it also has strong melee dominator CAOTIC showing up ;)

Beyond the competition itself I aim to have a theatre atmosphere produced for the Sunday during the playing of the majority of final matches. I also hope to have as many fun side events as possible - and with a lot of attendees learning the Thriller Dance I know there will be wide spread enjoyment.

Also within my aspirations is the invitation to the SF4 community to join with us at this major. I have strong convictions for the growth of our scene, and that happens to include competitive gaming in general.

Thriller will be setting the trends for rivalries and anticipation for Robocop which will happen 6 months from the end date.
Of course I want everyone to have an fun and enjoyable experience, meet new people, play a lot of smash and dance a little :)

Best of luck to all attendants in achieving your goals. I pray that I can achieve all of mine.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Super Smash Brothers Brawl

General Rules

• Playing non-tournament matches without a Tournament Organiser's consent may result in disqualification.
  • Players may forfeit games and/or sets if their match has been called by a TO and is not started within reasonable time. Please inform a TO of any situations that may hinder you from playing.
  • Players have the right to remove an SD card from a wii before play.
  • Homebrew / Modded Wiis must NOT alter game play, characters or stage designs. Stage/Character textures or replacement music must not make the game unplayable or uncomfortable for an individual player.
  • Have a shower and use deodorant.

Prizes
Monetary prizes are consisting of the total entry fee pot.

Singles
1: 50%
2: 25%
3: 15%
4: 10%

Doubles
1: 60%
2: 30%
3: 10%

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Game Rules

• Match Settings: 3 Stock | 8 Minute Timer | Items set to "off" and "none"
  • Matches are played as best of three sets. Championship and Finals (Winners, Losers Semi, Losers) sets are best of five. This includes Pool Matches
  • Matches ending with suicide moves that result in Sudden Death have the initiator of the move declared winner.
  • (A) In the case of a match going to time, Sudden Death is not played.
  • A player may not select a stage which they have already won on in the set, unless the opponent agrees.
  • Players are responsible for their own controllers (including connectivity, battery life, etc) and control settings.
    [*]No unnecessary pausing of the game.
    [*](B) Stalling is banned.
    [*]Actions that cause glitches and/or game freezes which prevent the game from continuing are the responsibility of the player.
    [*]Extension (Infinite or otherwise) of Meta Knight's Dimension Cape / Down B is banned.
The above listed yellow actions may result in the player responsible forfeiting the MATCH or SET. Tournament Organiser's disgression.

A) Time Out Procedures:

In the case of a time out the winner(s) of the match are declared by (in order):
  1. (Singles Only; Meta Knight only) If the player has more than 25 Ledge Grabs they forfeit the match.
  2. Highest [combined] stock count.
  3. Lowest [combined] percentage.
In the case of not being able to declare a winner, a One Stock Four Minute Decider is played with the same characters and stage.
In the case of the Decider time out with the previous conditions, Sudden Death is played out.

B) Stalling
The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Set Procedure
  1. Opponents select their ports*.
  2. Opponents choose their characters. Double blind selection may be called if a player wishes it.
  3. Opponents strike the starter stages one at a time until there is one remaining*. The first match of the set is played on said stage.
  4. After the match is played the winner may declare a legal stage banned.
  5. The previous match's loser selects a remaining legal stage to be played on.
  6. If the previous match's loser wishes to, they may also counterpick a port.
  7. The winner of the previous match picks character first. The loser then picks their character.
  8. Steps 4-7 are repeated until a set is completed.

(*)In the case of dispute, a best of one Rock, Paper, Scisors match is played. The winner may select preferred port OR which opponent strikes first. The loser obtains the unselected option.

Legal Stage List

Starters
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium 1
Lylat Cruise

Counter-picks
Final Destination
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Pictochat
Brinstar​

Doubles Subset:
  • Life Stealing is allowed.
  • Team Attack set to ON
  • Port Selection, unless in mutual agreement must be in a 1221 format (team 1/team 2)
  • Doubles has additional stages, and hence teams may ban TWO of them during counter-picking.

Additional Doubles Legal Stages
Pirate Ship
Green Greens
Hanenbow
Norfair
Jungle Japes
Rainbow Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 2​

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Super Smash Brothers Melee

General Rules

• Playing non-tournament matches without a Tournament Organiser's consent may result in disqualification.
  • Players may forfeit games and/or sets if their match has been called by a TO and is not started within reasonable time. Please inform a TO of any situations that may hinder you from playing.
  • Have a shower and use deodorant.

Prizes
Monetary prizes are consisting of the total entry fee pot.

Singles

Doubles

The following list is an adaptation of the widely accepted MLG Melee Ruleset and new MBR ruleset.

Game Rules

• Match Settings: 4 Stock | 8 Minute Timer | No Items
  • Matches are played as best of three sets. Championship and Finals (Winners, Losers Semi, Losers) sets are best of five.
  • In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors.
  • A player may not select a stage which they have already won on in the set.
    Gentleman's clause: any stage may be played on so long as both players and the Tournament Host agree to it, including banned stages.
  • Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played!
  • Wobbling is allowed except when used to excessively stall a match (Tournament organisers will have full discretion disqualifying illegitimate play styles).
  • The Ice Climber Freeze Glitch is banned.
  • Jigglypuff's rising pound stall is banned.
  • Peach's bomber stall beneath levels where she is unreachable is banned (example: FoD).
Set Format (In Order of Procedure):

1. Blind Picks character selection.
  2. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in alternating 1 2 1 2 1 2 order (rock-scissors-paper to determine first choice).
  3. The first match is played.
  4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
  5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
  6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
  7. The losing player picks character.
  8. The next match is played.
  9. Repeat 4-8 for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.

Legal Stage List

Starter Stages:

Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Past Stages: Dream Land
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle​

Counter Stages

Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
DK Island: Jungle Japes
F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City
Kanto Skies: Poke Floats
Lylat System: Corneria
Planet Zebes: Brinstar

Additional Rules for Double's Play

• Life Stealing is allowed
  • Set team attack to ON
  • Move Past Stages: Kongo Jungle to the Counter Stage List
  • Add F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City to the Banned Stage List
  • Add Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams to the Banned Stage List
  • Stage striking format will be 1-2-2-1

Nova

Banned via Warnings
I am not attending unless J-Birds, Kaion and Hotdogs do.
Well actually I will anyway.
But I'll kill everyone if they're not there.

And Tibs, you Master 3 sucker, attend this.

Sieg

Smash Champion
You Broke The Chain Nova.

Now We Will Never Know What The Tournament Will Be Called.

Nova

Banned via Warnings
Chains. Doomed before it started.
Meh.
Belts are better. That's what this tournament should be called. "Belt".

And Smooth Criminal is a much better song than Thriller anyway, and Shaya failed with his 1 minute after thing. ALL the hype is ruined, babies cry and I'm going to bed.

Goodnight.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Should have called it Ben.

Because THAT would have made sense. Lol.

Nova

Banned via Warnings
I'm doing that impossible lean forward thing from the MJ/AAF Smooth Criminal clips.

I get angry when people confuse the Album Thriller with the Single. The Album is decent, the Single isn't.

I. Hate. The. Single. Especially the TV version.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zA1Y-ts6FiI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zA1Y-ts6FiI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Start learning it kids.

There's tutorials all over Youtube.

AND WE SHOULD ALL DRESS AS ZOMBIES. I'LL COVER ENTRY FOR BEST DRESSED UNDEAD. <3

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Seriously though, I'm guessing this'll be, what... the Elysium/Sydney major?

tibs7

Smash Champion
i saw that thriller dance in that suddenly 30 movie the other day =]

yay auto win teams.
how much in entry and what not? stage list? Please dont say 3 starters. BF,SV,YI.
this will be pretty ****.

****ashi

Smash Apprentice
April 10 is AutumnSmash in QLD apparently Nova.

I need a clone.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
How rooms work out will be a bit "hmm".

Saturday is a very busy day at the bowling alley/pub.
And the second room can only be accessed through the pub, meaning it's almost a no-go for anyone under 18, "unless they're accompanied by a parent/guardian".

This could mean room 2 is not used Saturday or cannot be used after mid afternoon.

J-Birds

Smash Lord
Hmm this is rather unfortunate i was hoping Autumnsmash would attract some oos people like it did last year.
Thriller takes priority though i suppose.

Hmmm.. no chance of the ol switcheroo?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Ughhhhh.
Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Want to go to Thriller.
Don't want to abandon QLD smashers.

I have no control over LanSmash dates :(

Sieg

Smash Champion
**** it. QLD can get off their *** and actually go somewhere for once.

Move your ***** people.

Isorropia

Smash Apprentice
From what I've seen from the sf meets I've been to, I don't remember anyone at all being under 18 in a group of 40 or so people. So, in theory it might not interfere with sf people using the room, but in terms of moving equipment/moving between the rooms while the pub is in use....

S.D

Smash Master
I know Ben was keen to bring some QLD love to a Sydney tournament this year and I thought this would be the perfect opportunity... stupid lansmash dates :(

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Lansmash date is quite disappointing.

I couldnt really afford to do it a week later, Uni will be back by that point.
And Easter Weekend has its issues.

More info over the next few days.

Vermy

Smash Champion
waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait.

wait.
wait.
wait.

You telling me I get to dress like a zombie, dance, play Smash AND Street Fighter IN THE SAME PLACE, with burger fuel in the vicinity, with all my peeps from NSW?

F*CK YEAH. MOTHERF*CK YEAH. GODD*MN MOTHERF*CK YEAH.

Shaya, we are getting drunk till we pass out. My shout. You drink jager. We finish the bottle. I swear to enter this tournament under the influence. (Unless that's against the rules.)

Anyone able to house me for this?

P.S. Thriller.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
wow nova, I wonder how many more people are gonna steal your medication, god****

cHeWe

Smash Apprentice
what attendance do you reckon you will get to this? i really wanna go back to sydney for a while...could co inside it with this :).....would also probs bring glenn along :)

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
osht do it, I want to ICs ditto glenn. :)

I don't want to speak for Shaya or anything, but it sounds like this is going to have a huge turnout based on hype alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom