• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

St Phillip's 2nd tournament: Brawl, TvC, and more! San Antonio TX, March 6th 2010

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
The first St Phillip's tournament was a nice little suprise with 30 entrants. After unexpectedly running the first tournament (it's just what I do :laugh:) I've been asked to run the next event. Hopefully we can get a high local attendance since there will be no venue fee. Food such as frito pie and hot dogs will be on sale. Tell all your friends! Anyone is welcome!

Where:

St Philip's College

801 Martin Luther King Drive
San Antonio, TX 78203-2098

Heritage Room (more on this later)

Entry Fees:

Venue Fee: NONE! NOTHING! ZERO! NADA! $0.00!

All games will be 5 dollars to enter. Teams will be 5 dollars per person on the team (so 10 dollars per team).

Schedule of Events:

Doors open at 10:00 am, closing at 9 pm. Registration is open until an event has begun.

Brawl singles @ 2 pm
Tatsunoko vs Capcom @ 3 pm
Street Fighter IV @ 3 pm
Tekken 6 @ 3:30 pm
Melee @ 4 pm

Prize Layout:

All games will pay out in cash.

1st: 60%
2nd: 25%
3rd: 15%

General Rules:

Double Elimination
Best 2/3 matches
Finals (Winners, Losers, and Grand) will be best 3/5 matches
Pausing will result in the loss of a round unless the opponent lets it slide.
All button changes MUST BE DONE before the rounds begin.
If any rules are broken, you should report WHEN IT HAPPENS, not after the fact.

Tatsunoko vs Capcom

All characters allowed
Winner stays, loser may change teams. Team order must be kept the same.

Tekken 6
Stage is random select
Winner stays, loser may change characters.

***Super Smash Bros Brawl***

Neutral Stages
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Pokemon Stadium

Counterpick
Brinstar
Castle Siege
Delfino
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Lylat Cruise
Pictochat
Pokemon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Green Greens

Everything else is banned.

* 3 Stock
* 8 minute timer
* Items are set to "off" and "none"
* Matches are best of 3 except in the case of winner's/loser's finals and grand finals.
* In the event of a dispute(1vs1 or 2vs2), controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
* First round stage will be determined by stage strike system.
* No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
* In teams matches, ports will be 1221.
* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.
* If sudden death occurs, sudden death will be ignored and a 1 stock, 4 min overtime match will take place on the same stage.
* Make sure you fix your controller and your tag before you start playing. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action.

Banned Techs

* Meta Knight's infinite dimensional cape.
* DeDeDe's Infinite grab if the opponent is over 250%.
* Infinite wall grab if the opponent is over 250%. Does not apply if the wall will eventually go away, i.e. PS1.
* Stalling, including planking and scrooging, is banned. Stalling is the act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling. If you are unsure a tactic is considered stalling, ask the TO before using it

Other Rules

* Bowser/Ganon suicide attacks. If these moves are used to end a match and a sudden death is then started. Bowser/ Ganon will be declared the winners and the sudden death will be ignored.
* Ledge Grab Limit Rule: Characters are allowed to grab the ledge a total of 50 times per game. If you think that your opponent grabbed more than this, check the stats after the round. If it is exceeded the limit even by a single ledge grab you will lose your match (not the set). However, this rule can be ignored if BOTH players agree.
* MikeHaze rule: No yelling or making abrupt noises at your opponent.
* Chibo's Video-for-the-masses rule: You cannot refuse to be recorded if you pay money to enter an event.

***Super Smash Bros Melee***

-4 Stock
-8 Minute Time Limit
-Items will be set to "OFF"
-For any given tournament set, each Player will be given the option to ban 1 Neutral or Counterpick stage from being played upon.
-All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches, with the aforementioned Finals sets being best 3/5 games.
-In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
-No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
-If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage. In the event of a tie, a 1-stock sudden death tiebreaker will be played out.
-The Ice Climber Freeze Glitch is banned
-Jigglypuff's rising pound stall is banned
-Peach's bomber stall beneath levels where she is unreachable is banned (example: FoD)
Banned in Teams only: Fountain of Dreams, Mute City
Not Banned in Teams: Great Bay
Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. 1st Stage will be chosen at random unless agreed upon by both players. Each Player will be provided one Random Reset, with the lower-seeded Player given the option to use their reset first.**
3. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
4. The winner of the previous match may announce their Stage Ban selection
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Random Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match
**If neither Player has chosen to use their Random Reset within 3 seconds of the match starting, the match must be played out on the stage generated.

Neutrals:
-Fountain of Dreams
-Pokemon Stadium
-Dream Land
-Final Destination
-Battlefield
-Yoshi's Story

Counterpicks:
-Rainbow Cruise
-Kongo Jungle 64
-Jungle Japes
-Mute City
-Poke Floats
-Corneria
-Brinstar
-Green Greens

No controller mods/macros, etc.

Please bring consoles and TVs! The more equipment we have the faster and smoother we can run the tournament. And you'll have more time to play friendlies. Please support the scene!

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Well, I think this is also during HOBO23.

**** HOBO, I'll be going to this. I need to save the money for WHOBO anyways.

Suspect

Smash Hero
* DeDeDe's Infinite grab if the opponent is over 250%.
* MikeHaze rule: No yelling or making abrupt noises at your opponent.
* Chibo's Video-for-the-masses rule: You cannot refuse to be recorded if you pay money to enter an event.
1. This implies that D3 can infinite grab you now, what happen to that stop at 5 rule?

2.Mikehaze rule should be into effect if you are getting chaingrabbed, i honestly dont see whats wrong with it..

3. chibo rule- stupidest rule ever

not like ill be there or anything just felt like adding my 2 cents :ohwell:

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
yeah shouldnt Chibo's rule be the opposite?

like, because you're paying money you can refuse to be recorded?

its no biggie, it just seems like a common sense thing.

edit: i like your conclusion Espy

hype for 2nd St Phillips Tourney! the first one was super fun, the place was awesome and there was a better than expected turnout.

also i placed top5 because Espy/Morningstar didnt go

edit2: i JUST saw that venue fee! thats my kind of venue fee! :)

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
I'll be here.

I'll be two4 by then so its all good.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
yeah shouldnt Chibo's rule be the opposite?

like, because you're paying money you can refuse to be recorded?

its no biggie, it just seems like a common sense thing.

edit: i like your conclusion Espy

hype for 2nd St Phillips Tourney! the first one was super fun, the place was awesome and there was a better than expected turnout.

also i placed top5 because Espy/Morningstar didnt go

edit2: i JUST saw that venue fee! thats my kind of venue fee! :)
The video thing makes sense. You enter an event, you have to expect some type of publicity.
Like football players.

Bad example is bad, but you get my point. You can't expect to hide when you do well at a tournament.

@Frost: I hope whatever tournament you go to for whatever game you play, you get yelled at during an intense game. Loudly.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
But Espy, you know there's a Mike Haze rule that applies to EVERY tourney in the world. Sus is safe. Just hope for bad controller johns like I had back at Dpad. :S

**** KM and his twisted controller that hardly works. >_<

Also I need a teammate for this. Any takers?

Suspect

Smash Hero
The video thing makes sense. You enter an event, you have to expect some type of publicity.
Like football players.

Bad example is bad, but you get my point. You can't expect to hide when you do well at a tournament.

@Frost: I hope whatever tournament you go to for whatever game you play, you get yelled at during an intense game. Loudly.
Very horrible example, football is MADE to be shown on tv and they get paid millions regardless if they win or lose. They also dont pay to play every game.
2.Mikehaze rule should be into effect if you are getting chaingrabbed
If im being gay and chaingrabbing someone then i deserve it. Idk if they allow yelling like that in MvC2 but they should.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Very horrible example, football is MADE to be shown on tv and they get paid millions regardless if they win or lose. They also dont pay to play every game.

If im being gay and chaingrabbing someone then i deserve it. Idk if they allow yelling like that in MvC2 but they should.
umad?

10yesur

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
yup.
usomad.

EDIT: To keep it on topic, Kyle, will they be needing anything like extension cables or whatnot?

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
Too soon after Mizuumi Con for me
If I get the family okay, I'll go
Else I'll have to make it a Juan for me
Could not help but notice a poem flow

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
1. This implies that D3 can infinite grab you now, what happen to that stop at 5 rule?

2.Mikehaze rule should be into effect if you are getting chaingrabbed, i honestly dont see whats wrong with it..

3. chibo rule- stupidest rule ever

not like ill be there or anything just felt like adding my 2 cents :ohwell:
1. The stop at 5 rule is old as hell HOBO junk. I'm never putting anything arbitrary like that in my ruleset.

2. The mike haze rule is essentially good sportsmanship. It's an unwritten rule in most tournaments. Thanks to Mike Haze it has become a written one, at least in the smash community.

3. This is because M2K hates being recorded, but dammit every TO and fan wants to see the matches. TO basically says prepare to be recorded if you're in the finals. End of story.

Suspect

Smash Hero
make these so called "fans" pay

AND D3 CAN INFINITE GRAB NOW UNTIL 250%?! lolwut

Donkeybong is gonna get last and Morningstar will be going all snake I bet.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Kyle whats the situation on tv's? I can take 2 (or 3 if *gasp* you find a ride). Is it just gonna be plasmas everywhere again?

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
I don't know if St Phillips will have anything on hand besides the plasma TVs, I will ask.

More TVs is never ever a bad thing to have.

Also lol I could ride with you and 3 TVs, not sure if I want to be squished in the back like that one time though.

You're the closet smasher to me!

Nike.

Smash Hero
There was about 30 people. Only top5 were people that post here. Espy, Kprime, Morningstar, and Greyfox didn't show up and results were like

1. Nike
2. JUJ
3. Slim
4. Castro
5. Donkey Bong

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
The Chibo video rule is taken a tad out of context, but it's close enough. It's official stating has a more indepth explanation, but a good short way of putting it is "By entering this tournament you agree to allow any tournament matches of you be recorded and uploaded if possible"

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
So, let's assume that by some miracle of god I make money at this tournament... would I be able to receive my gift cards/prize/whatever that same day (not planning to spend the night).

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
So, let's assume that by some miracle of god I make money at this tournament... would I be able to receive my gift cards/prize/whatever that same day (not planning to spend the night).
Yeah, we are going to take care of that after all entries have been put in (late entries included). We'll have the gift cards ready to go.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Depending on what day my film shoot is this weekend, I might be able to attend this, too.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
i will never again change my date for any san antonio event. i might start to hold events on the exact day all SA event happen just to **** up your attendance.

**** you guys

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
i will never again change my date for any san antonio event. i might start to hold events on the exact day all SA event happen just to **** up your attendance.

**** you guys
What is this?!?!

I think that was a little uncalled for Xyro, considering that I'm bringing Espy and Prime to HOBO 23. >_>

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member

@ PX/Grey.................... whats this then^

Its been clear FOREVER that HOBO gets the first weekend of each month. I know this has NEVER been a rule but 99% ALL of the TOs in tx try to work around it and i try and not take up any other weekends so that phase of FS or w/e can have thier free and clear. Hell, i have even CHANGED my date when FS8 happened because i wanted it to do well.....Then stuff like this happens.

Its just wrong. Well its a mistake i will never make again.

PS: when i said "you guys" i should have put SAN ANTONIO and its TOs. Not the actual players like grey/espy/ect

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
That post was made prior to the SA group deciding to go to HOBO23.
So...yeah.

If you want proof:

Posted 2-04-10

=====

...we need to go to HOBO23.
NOW.
Posted 2-08-10

=====

Good-bye 1st place in San Antonio...again.

lol.

So anyways, we should start planning for HOBO23.

If JUJ and Grey are assumed to be green, then that's two.
Then I have to go (****it Xyro), and I'm not sure about K Prime. Morningstar's shown interest, and Tofer wants to go as well.

Was anyone else interested in going to HOBO23?
Posted 2-09-10.

=====

Rest assured that SA is coming to HOBO23.

St. Phillips is more or less for the San Antonio players that can't show to HOBO, or for Phantom, who needs money for FF13.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'm nearly 99% sure we'll be heading to HOBO.

Oh, and sry, I didn't mean "**** HOBO" as a derogatory thing. >_<
It was me just being stupid. ;;

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
this calls for a "Xyro, umad" post. :laugh:

also theres only 1 D3 player in SA... and its double elim... i'm feelin top 8 again :p

Suspect

Smash Hero

**** you guys
Most SA events are little so you wont be hurting its attendance, you will actually be keeping most them from coming to your hobos.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
BTW, since SA's HOBO plans fell through, I'll be attending this instead.

Top Bottom