• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gotcha (on Camera)! NOW ACCEPTING CCV REPLAYS! GET AT ME!

ElNoNombreHombre

Smash Journeyman
Introduction:

PUNK9 had a great idea: help other Pikachu players record replays in a more YouTube-able format for those who don't know how, or lack the resources to do so, thereby allowing them to show off their Pikachu for whatever purpose would aid the Pika community.

However, Real Life decided to intervene, so the project got put on an indefinite hiatus barring someone else to pick up the torch and keep recording.

Well, that someone has arrived. I was recommended to create a new thread as opposed to reviving the old one, so I could control the OP. So therefore, here it is.

I am also aware there is a service like this elsewhere on the boards. However, this one is different as it is exclusively for us Pikas.

Also, I just wanna see some more new Pika vids.

How to get Your Replay Recorded:

This should hopefully be pretty simple. If it's not, somebody's doing something wrong. Probably me.

What I Need from You:

Most importantly, I need the replay(s) in question, of course! I don't really care how you get them to me. Links to places like mediafire or your own personal webspace, trade Wii friend codes and sent to me via the in-game replay sender, file transfer over instant messaging clients, IP via carrier pigeon, whatever. Get it to me somehow.

What you'll get back is a 16:9 720p replay, all ready to be YouTube'd (I also take special orders, like different aspect ratios and stuff. Ask for details if you need them.). I can give the replays to you via Megaupload for you to download or I can upload them to my YouTube channel (or if you're insane, and trust me with your details, I can upload them directly to your YouTube channel).

If you upload them to YouTube or whatever video service you use, the only thing I ask is a thank-you. (Careful when downloading the movie file. They weigh in at 400+MB a pop. Make sure you can download such a thing in a reasonable amount of time).

If you want me to upload it to my channel (which I'll assume you want if you don't tell me otherwise), please tell me the following:
  • WiFi or not
  • Tourney (+ tourney name)/Money Match/Friendly (includes Seriouslies/Meanlies)
  • Date (Approximate date is good enough if you don't know the exact date).
  • Handles of the combatants. Especially important if you go by a different name than here.

If any custom content is involved (provided it falls under the restrictions below) beyond just unlimited-length replays and saving tags in the replays, you'll need to provide me with them as well, if I do not already have the content in question.

What you get:

You will either get a PM with a link to the video files, or a PM link to the video on my channel. Links to videos on my YouTube channel will also be updated here.

I will try to turn around requests within 24-48 hours, however, if real life gets in the way, obviously that'll take priority. I'll keep everyone informed on updates. If you don't get your movie back in that amount of time, bug me until you get it.

Here's an example of what to expect.

The Rules:
  1. I will only record replays between two or more human (or other sapient creature discovered in the future) players. Item use is discouraged, but acceptable in limited doses (e.g. if it's part of a special tournament, like one that turns on smash balls).
  2. There must be at least one Pikachu involved. It doesn't have to be you. In fact, you could be you pummeling the crap out of an opposing a Pikachu, and that's OK.
  3. I'm willing to do custom textures, even though I don't have many right now. Be prepared to provide them/provide me a way to acquire them.
  4. I am NOT willing to do custom soundtracks UNLESS you can demonstrate to me that the music involved is copyleft (e.g. Creative Commons -- be prepared to show me the license for it as well in this case) or Public Domain (or other, similar won't-get-lawyers-involved states).
  5. Any and all of these rules can be waived for any reason, however, waiving is at my discretion (as it's my capture device). As well, I reserve the right to not record someone's replays for any reason (it's unlikely that I won't, however).

You Can Help!

If you've got a capture device and you're willing to record for other Pikas, lemme know (and any idiosyncratic rules you might have), and we'll make this a team effort.

Assistants for when I get swamped:
  • Urban Menace [sample]

SPECIAL RULES FOR PIKACHU CCV CLIPS
  1. Please note in your request that the replay is for the CCV.
  2. Please tell me approximately where the clip in question starts (and/or what it is I'm recording).
  3. These will only be going up on my youtube as 480p unlisted videos (to speed getting the vids up for selection). The editor will recieve the raw video, however.
  4. Don't worry about how good it is. Just gimmie things to record! Let someone else weed through everything!

Q&A
What is your recording setup?
Capture Device: Hauppauge HD PVR
Video Editor: Macromedia Media Encoder CS4

I have some non-Pika replays I'd like to have recorded, but you say you're only recording Pikachu-related stuff, is there some other way to get them recorded?
Yes! There are people on the Videography board who are perfectly happy to record those replays for you, specifically the We Record Your Replays thread.

ElNoNombreHombre

Smash Journeyman
Production Queue and Archive
Requests To Be Started
  • None

Requests in Progress
  • None

Recently Finished Requests
  1. :pikachu2: PZ vs :pikachu2: Syko_Lemming at Smashville
  2. :pikachu2: PZ vs :pikachu2: Syko_Lemming at Smashville
  3. :pikachu2: Lamb vs :snake: Billybeegood at Final Destination
  4. :pikachu2: ThaOriginChu vs :mario2: Big.B at Smashville
  5. :pikachu2: ThaOriginChu vs :ness2: Chrono-Cross at Smashville
  6. :pikachu2: ThaOriginChu vs :link2: Karatekickz at Halberd
  7. :pikachu2: ThaOriginChu vs :gw: Karatekickz at Corneria
  8. :pikachu2: ThaOriginChu vs :mario2: Karatekickz at Smashville
  9. :pikachu2: ThaOriginChu vs :mario2: Karatekickz at Corneria
  10. :pikachu2: ThaOriginChu vs :gw: Karatekickz at Corneria
  11. :pikachu2: ThaOriginChu vs :pit: Karatekickz at Smashville
  12. :pikachu2: K Prime vs :wario: PhantomX at Final Destination
  13. :pikachu2: K Prime vs :wario: PhantomX at Smashville
  14. :pikachu2: K Prime vs :wario: PhantomX at Jungle Japes
  15. :pikachu2: K Prime vs :wario: PhantomX at Final Destination
  16. :pikachu2: K Prime vs :popo: Hylian at Frigate Orpheon
  17. :pikachu2: K Prime vs :gw: Hylian at Rainbow Cruise
  18. :pikachu2: K Prime vs :popo: Hylian at Smashville

Forecasted Upcoming Delays
  • None

Publicly Viewable Request Index

[collapse=altairian]
[/collapse]

[collapse=K Prime]
[/collapse]

[collapse=Syko_Lemming]
[/collapse]

[collapse=ThaOriginChu (a.k.a. PZ)]
[/collapse]

[collapse=Wiscus]
[/collapse]

Pikachu CCV Clips
[collapse=None yet. Show me what you're made of!]

[/collapse]

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Thanks so much, Hombre. <3 Pikas definitely need more quality vids up, and this should help with that a lot.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
I like this idea, and it's good of you to do this. When can we start sending vids? I know I have a couple that I want on youtube.

ElNoNombreHombre

Smash Journeyman
Awesome, thanks for bringing this back!
Thanks so much, Hombre. <3 Pikas definitely need more quality vids up, and this should help with that a lot.
No problem. Here's hoping Murphy can keep his freakin' hands off this project.

I like this idea, and it's good of you to do this. When can we start sending vids? I know I have a couple that I want on youtube.
You can start sending right now if you want, if you don't mind the flickering pixels I described. They're usually hidden by the up-scaling + resizing by YouTube's player, though. Just let me know where you have them (if they're hosted on the web somewhere), or let me know how you want to get them to me if you prefer a different method.

Also, don't forget any of the options I mentioned if you want them. I'm not in this to boost my vid count or my views. I'm just in this to raise the number of replays available for easy viewing.

altairian

Smash Lord
I might have some replays for you, I sent them to a friend to record but he's kinda lazy and I want them to get critiqued so if he doesn't do them soon I'll send them your way lol

Death note

Smash Cadet
I have several questions for you, if you don't mind.
1. Do you have the ability to record the sound from the replay, or is it mute/ custom soundtrack?
2. What capture card do you have, how much did it cost, and where did you buy it? I want to buy my own, but when I went to Fry's to look for a video capture card, I had no idea what I was looking for. I saw some products from Dazzle, but I'm not sure it was the right one.
3. Would you be able to record some of my non-pikachu matches as well? I know you stated that you want pikachu-only matches, but I'm not sure if that's because this is the pikachu board, or because you just want to get pikachu matches out there.

ElNoNombreHombre

Smash Journeyman
I have several questions for you, if you don't mind.
1. Do you have the ability to record the sound from the replay, or is it mute/ custom soundtrack?
2. What capture card do you have, how much did it cost, and where did you buy it? I want to buy my own, but when I went to Fry's to look for a video capture card, I had no idea what I was looking for. I saw some products from Dazzle, but I'm not sure it was the right one.
3. Would you be able to record some of my non-pikachu matches as well? I know you stated that you want pikachu-only matches, but I'm not sure if that's because this is the pikachu board, or because you just want to get pikachu matches out there.
Questions are fine (and encouraged!). I tried to be as encompassing as possible, but I'm sure I inevitably forgot some information. So, anyone with a question can feel free to ask away.

1. If you look at the two samples provided in the post, you'll see that, yes. I am able to record the sound from the replay. I can mute this if it's desired. Just remember, if your replay has custom music you also want recorded, it needs to be from a source that won't get me in trouble with the copyright holder and/or their legal representatives.

2. I have the Hauupauge 1212 HD PVR. It goes for about $200 on Amazon.com or Newegg.com (it's the same price, or close, on both, and I don't remember which I bought it from). It's a bit overkill for most people's needs. You also need a component cable so you can record in 480p as opposed to 480i.

More information about the one I use can be found in this thread, and I'm sure the information on the videography board (and the nice people there) can find you a decent card with the cost/quality ratio you're looking for.

3. My primary goal is to increase the number of Pikachu vids out there by removing the barrier of getting it recorded. The secondary goal of that restriction is to help keep myself from getting inundated with requests (especially if this should become popular at all).

However, if you've got something exceptional you'd like recorded (like you beating M2K's Meta Knight), I might be willing to help out as well. I'm not putting down any guidelines because I don't really have any guidelines (and don't want any of them held against me). Don't be surprised if I deny your request, however.

What you might want to do instead is check out the We Record Your Replays thread and ask there for your non-Pikachu video needs. There's a guy there that has the same recording device (but insists that the vids go up on his channel) and better editing software.

Death note

Smash Cadet
I have another questions. I wonder if this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Pinnacle-Captur...ps=63&clkid=7710168030767046287#ht_5613wt_939

is able to record videos, either as I'm replaying a saved replay or playing at the time. It seems as if it only has video in, so if I'm recording I wouldn't be able to plug the cables into the tv, so I can't see what I'm recording. Unless I'm mistaken, and it provides an additional cable which can be plugged into the tv so that the input travels from the wii, through the device, and into the tv.
Correct me if I'm wrong - I plug in the red, yellow, and white cables into this capture device, I put a usb drive into the other end, and I press the record button. It then records until I press the button again, and it saves the video that it just recorded as an mp4 (or other video format) into the usb drive I plugged in.

ElNoNombreHombre

Smash Journeyman
I have another questions. I wonder if this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Pinnacle-Captur...ps=63&clkid=7710168030767046287#ht_5613wt_939

is able to record videos, either as I'm replaying a saved replay or playing at the time. It seems as if it only has video in, so if I'm recording I wouldn't be able to plug the cables into the tv, so I can't see what I'm recording. Unless I'm mistaken, and it provides an additional cable which can be plugged into the tv so that the input travels from the wii, through the device, and into the tv.
Correct me if I'm wrong - I plug in the red, yellow, and white cables into this capture device, I put a usb drive into the other end, and I press the record button. It then records until I press the button again, and it saves the video that it just recorded as an mp4 (or other video format) into the usb drive I plugged in.
I'm gonna mini-mod a little bit here and say that this is beginning to drift off topic. I'll point you again to the videography boards on this very website. Please re-direct all questions about recording equipment there, as your questions are beginning to go outside of the scope of this topic (i.e. taking requests to record replays, and recording them). There's a lot of people there who know a heck of a lot more about this stuff than I do, and thus can help you much more than I can. (I'm seriously not trying to be dismissive. I'm just trying to keep this on topic and help you get better answers than I can give.)

But to answer the question, that device should work, but you'll need some RCA splitters (preferably female to male) to split the signal so you can send it to both your TV and the device at the same time.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
If you send the movie file back after recording (as opposed to uploading it to YouTube yourself), which format will it be in?

ElNoNombreHombre

Smash Journeyman
If you send the movie file back after recording (as opposed to uploading it to YouTube yourself), which format will it be in?
The raw video (if you want to edit it yourself) will be in .mp4 or .m2ts (AAC audio encoding) depending on the requested preference. I think the m2ts looks better, so I have that as the default, but as I understand it, YouTube's preference is .mp4.

I don't think I put this in the original post, but I am willing to do editing + up-scaling from 480p to 720p if desired, especially if someone knows of a free service that'll let me share files greater than 200MB or knows of a decent Windows file splitting program (since Linux (and probably OS X) is easy--split + cat). In this case, it'll be .mp4 (.h264 + mp3 because AAC encoding is currently broken on my video editing encoder), unless requested otherwise.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Oh, okay, that works. I just prefer having my videos uploaded onto my own YouTube account (OCD ftw).... that's the only reason I asked.

I'll be sending you a few vids tomorrow. Shouldn't be more than 2-3. Thanks in advance!

ElNoNombreHombre

Smash Journeyman
Oh, okay, that works. I just prefer having my videos uploaded onto my own YouTube account (OCD ftw).... that's the only reason I asked.

I'll be sending you a few vids tomorrow. Shouldn't be more than 2-3. Thanks in advance!
Excellent. I've actually tried to find some vids of your pika (I was curious about your style) before but mostly struck out (my search-fu is weak).

And I totally understand about the desire to have one's own videos on one's own channel. I'm intending mine as something of a log of my progress, so I don't really care about giving away the videos of others back to them.

Rule of thumb is that when you make the request, if it involves pika and it's reasonable, I'll provide it. All the other bajillion words are just there to provide some preset options (I'm thinking about redoing part of it to resemble more of a fast-food menu style for easier requesting).

altairian

Smash Lord
I have a bunch of replays that got saved the other night, when I get home from work tonight I'll go through them and pick out the ones I'd like recorded and send them your way. =)

ElNoNombreHombre

Smash Journeyman
I have a dazzle and pinnacle 14...I could help out recording if you would like lol.
Sure. Any help is appreciated. The more recorders, the faster the turnaround. Just let me know what your devices are capable of doing (480 i/p, what file format they save as, whatever, since I am not familiar with them). Any rules you've got about the stuff you've recorded, custom content you can do (custom textures, custom soundtracks, etc), distribution of the recorded replay (upload to your YouTube only, link to [file sharing service], etc), anything at all relevant.

Once I have that info, I'll add you to the OP.

Now Pikas have absolutely no johns for not having vids up.
Speaking of which, I'm still waiting on the replays from everyone who initially posted interest in getting the recordings. Come on! Show me ya 'chus!

KayLo!, I've got your Wii registered in case that way's easier for you to send them to me.

AvalancheBarrage

Smash Ace
Now Pikas have absolutely no johns for not having vids up.
All I have are videos of beating computers, which nobody cares. That work? =P

I need moar people to play against where I live. Only person I ever see won't play me because he says he gets pwnt too much, when he really doesn't. :S

I'll see if I can convince people to get together for a brawl-a-thon and get some videos o.o

AvalancheBarrage

Smash Ace
Mkay, then wanna play some?

Oh, I haven't played against a person in like....wow I don't even remember when. Better get all my johns out of the way first.

I blame lag.

...That should about do it.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
It's all good. Getting your *** beat by Prime on wifi is shown to drastically improve one's skill over time.

Just ask..... 95% of the people in the Pika chat.

altairian

Smash Lord
lol, maybe I'm not playing Prime enough and that's why I'm getting better so slowly :o

Also, I might go through my replays tonight and post some up for ya ENNH. I might just play bioshock till 3am though. I'm a little undecided atm

ElNoNombreHombre

Smash Journeyman
This thread needs more activity and I need replays recorded!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AY46HHXA

It's four wifi matches, I hope it's not too much for you.
It's no problem at all. Once recorded, I just tell the encoder what section I actually care about and tell it to go, and the encoder is nice enough to leave my computer in a usable condition. I'm sure I've got the quality settings a little higher than they need to be, so render times are a little on the slower side for the moment. However, the audio is now properly synced, which is great.

I've recently figured out a somewhat reasonable way to transfer the huge files (which I need to add to the OP) from myself to someone else, would you like them for your own channel, or would you prefer I just throw them up on mine?

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I hope none of those are the matches we had......
Nah, they're just ladder/friendly matches I had saved a month ago. I want you to critique them. :x
It's no problem at all. Once recorded, I just tell the encoder what section I actually care about and tell it to go, and the encoder is nice enough to leave my computer in a usable condition. I'm sure I've got the quality settings a little higher than they need to be, so render times are a little on the slower side for the moment. However, the audio is now properly synced, which is great.

I've recently figured out a somewhat reasonable way to transfer the huge files (which I need to add to the OP) from myself to someone else, would you like them for your own channel, or would you prefer I just throw them up on mine?
You can upload them to your channel. Thanks a lot btw!

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Nah, they're just ladder/friendly matches I had saved a month ago. I want you to critique them. :x
Heh, if you want, I already noticed a few things from our matches the other night if you want me to comment on them when I do alt/other people's critiques.

I usually don't say anything about people's wifi play unless they ask, though, since I know wifi doesn't rep how I play offline at all..... so I figure it's the same for everybody.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Yeah, lemme get on real quick. I was gonna sleep off my stomachache, but I feel so hot and uncomfortable. -_-

ElNoNombreHombre

Smash Journeyman
Top Bottom