• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Information and Updates from the Brawl Back Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Information and Updates from the Brawl Back Room
From the Director of Public Relations of the BBR

Table of Contents:

Section 1: Introduction and our Principles
Section 2: Announcements from the Brawl Back Room
Section 3: Current Projects
Section 4: Schedule
Section 5: Members List & Director Status

Section 1 - Introduction and our Principles

Greetings. For those of you that don't know, the Brawl Back Room is a group of people that strive to enhance the competative community for Brawl. Our Principles, as written in the BBR Constitution are threefold:

Principle 1: To grow the competitive community and promote fair competitive play
Principle 2: To establish standards and provide support for players, tournament organizers, and tournaments worldwide
Principle 3: To develop and guide leaders in order to build and enhance the competitive environment of the community

More simply though, the Back Room is most famous for constructing the "Official Tier List" and the "Official Rule Set." We have other such projects on the way.

Many of us in the Back Room acknowledged the public's outcry that the we did not communicate enough with the public and some of us agreed with it. We are responding to that claim with this thread, meant to open an effective line of communication with the back room. This thread will regularly provide updates on the projects of the Back Room, and field some questions that you might have for us. However, please note that WE MAY NOT BE ABLE TO ANSWER EVERY QUESTION THAT YOU ASK US. This thread doesn't mean that you will always know exactly what's going on in the Back Room, but it will give you insight to what we are doing, and show you that we aren't just sitting on false thrones and laughing at the world.

I will frequently monitor this thread, and try to respond to as much as possible. Additionally, other Back Room members will probably visit from time to time.

Section 2 - Announcements from the Brawl Back Room

3/31/11
The Brawl Backroom no longer is producing the BBR Official Recommended Ruleset. Instead, the Ruleset will come from the Brawl Backroom Ruleset Committee, which is a separate organization comprised of tournament organizers.

3/31/11
The next tier list is slated for release sometime toward the beginning of Summer.

[COLLAPSE=older announcements]
3/31/11
The third set of Applications for the BBR are currently under review. New entrants should be admitted in about 2 weeks.

08-07-10
The Official BBR Ruleset 3.1 has been released after some issues of the 3.0 version. Shaya and Marc led and reform and the new version was better accepted.

07-24-10
The BBR Weekly Character Discussions are part of the tier list discussion. They are done to increase knowledge so that the tier list and its process(aka voting) can be accurate.

BBR Weekly Character Discussions Index

Official BBR Recommended Rule Set 3.1
[/COLLAPSE]

Section 3 - Current Projects

Stage Analysis Project(led by MetalMusicMan) – The Brawl Backroom is currently working on a Stage Analysis Project. This project will review the stages in Brawl, and offer information for both new and veteran players alike, as well as reasoning on why people would feel these stages are suited, or ill suited for competitive play.

Smash World Rankings(led by Rajam) – Rankings of the best player of the USA and Canada. This is a huge project and is often updated. Check its official thread.

Section 4- Schedule

The following schedule is what the BBR shall do for the rest of the year.

Around April 8th: New members admitted.
June: Stage analysis guide released.
Late June/early July: New tier list released.

After: matchup chart update, looking into new avenues for publishing content.

Section 5 - Members List & Director Status

MLG_JV -Head SWF Admin/MLG representative
AlphaZealot -Head Councilman
Marc -Head Councilman
Shaya -Head Councilman
.joel -Director of Member Relations
Ankoku -Director of Admissions
ChiboSempai -Director of Tournament Production
Pierce7d -Director of Public Relations
Rajam -Director of Official Smash World Rankings

List of people that are currently in the BBR. (Last updated: 4/19/2011)

Members (95 total):
∫unk
-Doom-
-Ran
.joel
adumbrodeus
Ally
AlphaZealot
Alphicans
Amazing Ampharos
Ankoku
BardulL
Bionic
C.R.Z
Calzorz
coney
Count
Crow!
Cyphus
dabuz
Darkmusician
Dazwa
DEHF
Dekar173
DMG
Dojo
EdreesesPieces
ESAM
Espy Kasrani
gallax
God-is-my-Rock
hadesblade
Hilt
Hylian
I_Am_Infinity
Ishieymoro
Judo777
jv3x3/MLG_JV
K Prime
Kasper!
KBizzle
Kel
Kewkky
KirinBlaze
KishPrime
Krystedez
Marc
Marcbri
MetalMusicMan
Mic_128
Mikey Lenetia
Mr. Doom
MrEh
nealdt
NickRiddle
Nicole
Nike.
Nysyarc
Omni
Orion*
Overswarm
Padô
Pierce7d
Poltergust
Praxis
R@vyn
Rajam
Raziek
Red Ryu
RichBrown
Ripple
san3711
Scamp
ScaryLB59
Seagull Man
Sethlon
ShadowLink84
Shaya
Staco
swordgard
T-block
The Real Inferno
TheMike
TheReflexWonder
TheTantalus
Tin Man
Tsukasa Kasrani
Tuen
Twinkie
UTD Zac
Vlade
vVv ChiboSempai
vVv Choice
Yikarur
Yink
Zigsta

TheMike

Smash Lord
AlphaZealot conceded me the permission to post what are the requeriments to be let in the BBR. They are the following as shown in Article VIII, Section 2 of the Constitution of the BBR which is only viewable by the Back Roomers.

• Well versed in all aspects of tournament play
  • Well versed in all aspects of running a tournament
  • Striving to advance the competitive community
  • An active member in their community
  • A positive reflection on the Smash community
  • Willing and capable of leading
  • Willing and capable of following others

llamapaste

Smash Journeyman
Thanks Pierce! I think people will appreciate the SBR's openness to discuss topics.

M@v

Subarashii!
Great idea guys. This should definitely make relations between the sbr and everyone even better. I'm interested in how that matchup project turns out. Good luck with it guys.

Feels

Smash Cadet
1st page :D
I'm kinda interested in when tier list 4 comes out(like a lot of people) not to rush anybody...

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
this question is obvious to most of you BUT, to make things perfectly clear.
Does the back room have a direct connection to nintendo, like IGN is saying?

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Nice to have an insight to what's developing.

Can an individual be on the BBR if they no longer play Brawl?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
this question is obvious to most of you BUT, to make things perfectly clear.
Does the back room have a direct connection to nintendo, like IGN is saying?
Not that I'm aware of.

How are the tier lists made?
Well after lengthy discussions on each tier/character, we discuss some more! Then we vote placing by placing.

Nice to have an insight to what's developing.

Can an individual be on the BBR if they no longer play Brawl?
Generally no, but in some instances yes.

What is it like to be a Backroom member? Lots of work or you have to be very wise and smart about stuff?
Yes and no. People get into the Back Room for different reasons. Being knowledgeable about the game, being a prominent TO, representing a particular region, etc. We like to be diverse, so we can gather a lot of data. However, the standards are high and ever increasing.

86 people is a large br.

is it as active as the WBR (that being not at all)?
It's hard to say. I'm not in the WBR and so I cannot compare. We're pretty active, but not all members are active. Those of us who are active work very hard, and there's quite a commotion back there, especially right now.

I think it's fair to say that we're planning another purge pretty soon. While I have the greatest respect for Ken, amongst others on the list, we're aware that not all the members are active, and plan on removing some.

Thanks for asking!

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Where did it say that?
When the DLC rumor came out ign said that the backroom had a poll going on to do something. I read it on ign like three months ago. Something About Krystal and Roy as DLC and bowsers castle.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I read some guys post on IGN claiming to be a member of the BBR and that the BBR did have such connections. This rumor is false.

Also, be aware that the dates listed are deadlines for the most part, aka the ruleset may come out sooner then June 1st but at the very least (and hopefully) no later then June 1st.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
Cool stuff! Thanks for showing this to the community. I'm interested in the match up project, it sounds exciting!

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
lol remember kids, you cant spell ignorance without IGN

what I'd really like to see from the sbr is a movement to get all the characters boards to have proper matchup threads that are detailed and quality, and ideally all follow the same structure and outline.

also a mod for the snake boards would be nice... one day...

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
What everbody needs to undertand is that the tier list and the MU chart will not be PERFECT. Though each one will improve.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
this is true^ but that doesnt mean we dont ASK top TL mains about certain things

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Good **** Shaya.

And good **** Pierce for actually giving the people details on what is going.

TP

Smash Master
Pierce, Ganon better be C tier. I'm holding you accountable and defriending you if he's not. This is the price you pay for being the public relations guy.

In other news, great thread and thanks for the schedule in particular.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Good job on this, it helps the community learn what is going on rather than the discussion others have speculating about the subjects.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Something that has bugged me since one of the MK discussion topics where a BBR member break the "no flaming" rule. Don't remember the exact wording, nor will I be name dropping, but...

What exactly does it take for a BBR member to be kicked out for reasons other than inactivity?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
As in a week, right?
Honestly, I'm surprised it's not out yet.

Something that has bugged me since one of the MK discussion topics where a BBR member break the "no flaming" rule. Don't remember the exact wording, nor will I be name dropping, but...

What exactly does it take for a BBR member to be kicked out for reasons other than inactivity?
Disruptiveness, leaking, anti-productivity, evidence that shows they were a poor selection initially.

I didn't know there was a council. Do you all wear robes and sit in a circle, discussing the balance of the universe?
If they also discussion a "Chosen One" and wonder if they found him, but he's too old, I'm quitting smash before everything goes down hill. :laugh:
No, but we do talk about start wars a lot.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
^ lol isn't that leaking? ^

Also how is blue not the favorite? Luke Skywalker used green and he's a ***** loser
You haven't read the books, have you?

Dude is pure win in the books.

And Jacen Solo used blue and turned into a pansy, whiny, "I'm not making the same mistakes as Darth Vader whoops did I just choke that guy to death with the force?", "Whoops, just killed Luke's wife and tortured his son after I tortured Boba Fett's daughter to death", OP'd Sith in the worse arc in the star wars series. I only finished reading it because they made Boba Fett even more awesome in those books. The arc was so bad, they are making another series to try and explain everything somewhat logically. >____>

On topic: Another point of curiosity: do you find the BBR trying to get more European members?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom