• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros: Fixed (Progress Halted, Bio you may lock)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokelover980

Smash Ace
*Insert Imaginary Banner Here*​

Hello, and welcome to Super Smash Bros.: Fixed (only a temporary title until a better one is made). This project strives to create balance, but also achieve a fast-paced gameplay. It also will "fix" some of the "errors" of Brawl, such as the balance, how slow it is, some of it's glitches, some of the stages and anything else found along the way while the project is going on. You may think "Oh, whats the point of this, you're just ripping off BBrawl and Brawl+ and combining them!" No, I'm not. Well, I sorta am. I want to achieve balance like BBrawl does, and I want fast paced gameplay like Brawl+, but I also want to fix things such as glitches and some stages, and like I said, there's more to be found that just hasn't been found yet (or I'm to lazy to think about XD). You may still be thinking this is a ripoff, and if so, fine, I don't care, I'm not forcing you to like or use my codeset.

If you are to lazy to read the above, here is a simple version. I'm basically combining Brawl+ with BBrawl, while also "fixing" some of the "errors" that people found with Brawl. It may be a ripoff, but there will be unique elements, such as fixing the errors with Brawl. If you don't like my goals, I'm not making you like or use my codeset, so you don't need to tell me.

THE MISSION
1. To create a balanced game.
2. Make the game fast paced.
3. Fix "errors".

Or, in detail:

1. Achieve balance, where everyone should be around the same tier as Fox, sorta like BBrawl (except this balances towards a different character, and in different ways. BBrawl doesn't want to change what makes Brawl, well, Brawl. This will change various things, such as certain characters gravity and hitstun and hitbox size).
2. Increase gameplay speed, kind of like Brawl+ does. Hitstun is set at .49. I'm trying to think of a way to describe my other gameplay changes, be patient please :X
3. Fix as many of the things gone wrong in Brawl as possible. This includes, but in limited to, glitches, balance, slow speed and stages with bad death boundaries/ledges. Some codes may be needed to fix some of these things, some of the things might not need codes and can be edited in their files.

You can sign up whenever you like, either by PM or in this thread. Your more likely to get your application looked at if you PM me, so I recommend that. Here's the form you should use:

Username:
Coding Skills (PSA, BrawlBox, Codes):
Why you want to be on the team:
Proof of your skills (in a post, or a file, anything that can prove yourself worthy):
How you think you could help:
Anything else you think I should know to increase your chances of making it:

FAQ:
Q: What's the point of this project?
A: It's to make balance in a way like BBrawl (not in a way like Brawl+) but also achieve fast-paced gameplay like Brawl+, while also fixing the "errors" of Brawl, which includes glitches. There will also be different gameplay modifications from Brawl+ and BBrawl, so it should still try to stay unique.

Q: I play as a top tier character, will they be nerfed?
A: Yes, but you shouldn't be worried. The main way their getting nerfed is by reducing hitbox sizes, and balancing the knockback/strength of moves. Some attributes such as weight and shield size may be changed, but mainly for the better, and there shouldn't be much of a difference.

Q: So wait, will bottom tier characters get a boost?
A: Yes, but it will be like top tier characters, except small hitboxes may get larger, and strength/knockback will get increased and balanced. Some moves may become faster as well.

Q: Why don't you just join the BBrawl team or Brawl+ team and put your goals to work in those projects?
A: One person isn't enough to implement my goals in to those, and plus, then that project would just turn into a ripoff of the other.

Q: Why should I play this?
A: I'm not going to answer that for you. If you like the projects goals, then you can play it if you want. If you don't, I'm not forcing you to play it.

Q: Why was this project created?
A: I was playing Brawl+ one day (it was 5.0, not Near Gold) and decided that I wanted the fast paced gameplay, but I wanted better balance as well, and Brawl still had to many glitches. And so, this project was born, aiming to create balance, a fast game and get rid of the pesky glitches which can make or break a match.

Q: How is it possible to put Brawl+ and BBrawl together without ruining them?
A: As Orca stated in a post in this thread, simply combining the mods will not balance it, it will instead make it incredibly unbalanced. That's I'm not ripping off the character files from each of the mods, I'm starting from scratch. There will be some of the same codes, but otherwise none of the files are from the other mods. In my opinion, Brawl+ is balanced, but not in a way I'd like. It's hard to understand, I know, but think of it this way. I'm not just taking Brawl+ and using BBrawl codes and some of the BBrawl characters, I'm actually trying to work my way up from the ground to balance it all, while not ruining it. Every time a new character starts getting worked on, the characters already worked on will have to get changed, mainly because of averages. I've taken some of the attributes, averaged each of them, and then I got the average of the average and the characters attributes. And if you can understand that, you have a larger IQ than me. In a simple equation: (Average+Characters Attribute)/2=New Attribute. I do that so each character doesn't have the same attributes.

Q: What kinds of glitches are you fixing?
A: MK's infinite cape glitch, the poor ledges on Final Destination (which I've for the most part fixed, needs to be worked on more before it's "fixed"), and tripping. Tripping isn't a glitch, everyone just hates it, and it seems like a glitch anyways. Also, any other glitches found while the project goes on will get fixed. This list will get updated as I remember more glitches and find more.

Once some characters come out, I will create a list to show you some of the main changes with them. If you want to tell me this is a ripoff, don't. If you want to give me advice on how I can improve on my post, PM me, but do it in a polite way, just don't instantly start out with "Your project is a ripoff, here's why, I don't understand you, you can't do this right, here's how to fix it." Instead, please do something like, "There might be miscommunication in your post, I think that ______ wasn't explained well enough, here is how you can improve it." Right now I don't want many posts in the thread, I want to keep it low on posts unless there are applications, and I want to keep it low on posts until characters are released, at which point I'll need feedback.

This post is under constant revision, because I'm not good at this. PM me with your questions and concerns, and I'll listen.

Also, even if you don't understand the project, help is always nice.

This project's progress is currently halted. Bio, you may lock until I resume progress.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
All I can say, that for me, as a snake main (Hell I love playing snake xD) there will be no real interest, because my character just got worse LOL

On the other hand, I may would just play another character (Sheik / CF)

pokelover980

Smash Ace
All I can say, that for me, as a snake main (Hell I love playing snake xD) there will be no real interest, because my character just got worse LOL

On the other hand, I may would just play another character (Sheik / CF)
You really shouldn't have to worry, the only real differences you should notice should be some attributes. Knockback will adjusted to fit the changes on most moves, and if knockback is changed then the damage will change with it. The main changes I've made for Snake so far is making a lot of his hitboxes smaller because a lot of them are huge. The hitboxes for the grenades from his Final Smash are much larger than the graphic effect it creates, now it's mainly the same size, maybe just a little bigger. I've also changed the damage of a few of his attacks to be stronger and some are weaker.

Revven

FrankerZ
I don't mean to be knockin' anything or appear like an *** or "elitist" but I kind of felt this was necessary to say:

I guess you could call this project the "non-tourney knowledge" version of Balanced Brawl.

EDIT: Don't take this as me telling you not to do this btw, feel free to do w/e. I'm just merely saying.

pokelover980

Smash Ace
Brawl- altered hitstun? Brawl+ hitstun is .45 right now.
Brawl- has hitstun at .54 I think. And I thought Brawl+ hitstun was .46
Uh, if this removes Metaknight from the game entirely, it's worth playing. Otherwise,

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
You may continue with your "whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?", but I can't answer that question unless you provide details :U
So you basically plan to take Bbrawl and Brawl+ and combine the codesets?
Kinda, but it will also have some unique codes so long as I find some coders <.<;
I don't mean to be knockin' anything or appear like an *** or "elitist" but I kind of felt this was necessary to say:

I guess you could call this project the "non-tourney knowledge" version of Balanced Brawl.
I don't really get how something like that sounds elitist or anything (at least, to me it doesn't), but I don't really understand your point. Are you saying that it's Balanced Brawl for people with no tournament knowledge? If so, I don't really see how BBrawl is really for people with tourney knowledge anyways, but I don't play Balanced Brawl. I tried it once and went back to Brawl+, I didn't like BBrawl as much.

EDIT:
I guess I don't really see the point. What niche does this fill that an existing hack project doesn't?
I guess this post really shows I'm not good at explaining things well. I'll update the first post and elaborate more myself. But to answer your question, it basically combines existing projects, while adding it's own unique properties at the same time. Simply put, it takes BBrawl, adds Brawl+ to the mix, and some other projects get jumbled in as well, then it adds in some stuff of it's own.

EDIT2: And how did I know that my project would not be positively accepted (and I'm not saying that everyone hates it, it appears everyone is just indifferent at this point) at first?

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
This sounds like it's going to be very similar to Brawl+.

You've only said two ways you're planning on differentiating your fBrawl and Brawl+: Character balance and "unique things that will be added overtime".

For character balance, why not join Brawl+'s team and try to balance that instead of creating a whole new project?

As for your unique things, that's just kind of empty.

If you can't answer how your project is going to be concretely different than Brawl+, I suggest you start thinking about it.

In the meantime, the rest of us are going to be confused.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
It's more about miscommunication. Be more specific about what this project is.

pokelover980

Smash Ace
This sounds like it's going to be very similar to Brawl+.

You've only said two ways you're planning on differentiating your fBrawl and Brawl+: Character balance and "unique things that will be added overtime".

For character balance, why not join Brawl+'s team and try to balance that instead of creating a whole new project?

As for your unique things, that's just kind of empty.

If you can't answer how your project is going to be concretely different than Brawl+, I suggest you start thinking about it.

In the meantime, the rest of us are going to be confused.
Joining the Brawl+ team won't really effect their goals, so trying to balance that would be a pointless waste of time, really. Yes, I know my "unique things" is kind of empty, but it's really hard to explain because... well... I'm not good at explaining. I'll try and list whats so unique about it.
It's more about miscommunication. Be more specific about what this project is.
I'll try.

Anyways, I'm updating the first post.

EDIT: First post updated. Read the very bottom of it. Only one person needs to ask a question, no need to +1. Anyways, I'd appreciate it if you just stopped asking the question or just telling me that it's a copy. If you don't like my project and think it's a ripoff, fine, but you don't need to tell me exactly why, or even post that. The main reason I created a thread was to be able to get a team.

And sorry if I sound pissy or anything, but you REALLY don't need to +1 my thread with the same question over and over, it doesn't help me at all.

OceanBlue

Smash Apprentice
The reason everyone is indifferent is because you haven't offered anything to be excited about. Everyone sees this as BBrawl/Brawl+, and the the only explanation you've offered is that you can't explain things very well. If you can't explain them, they might as well not exist, since no one will know about them.

If your intent is to create a more balanced Brawl, you're going to have to offer explanations as to how this will draw in people who might be dissatisfied with certain aspects of BBrawl/Brawl+ or how it will appeal to players of those games. Being a poor communicator is fine, but if you don't even make an attempt, then you won't be able to draw people into your game. You won't create a team if people don't find reasons to want to go along with your mod.

Scufo

Smash Apprentice
So basically, the main point of this is balance? Which BBrawl and Brawl+ are both trying to achieve as primary goals.

Yeah, uh, what?

pokelover980

Smash Ace
The reason everyone is indifferent is because you haven't offered anything to be excited about. Everyone sees this as BBrawl/Brawl+, and the the only explanation you've offered is that you can't explain things very well. If you can't explain them, they might as well not exist, since no one will know about them.

If your intent is to create a more balanced Brawl, you're going to have to offer explanations as to how this will draw in people who might be dissatisfied with certain aspects of BBrawl/Brawl+ or how it will appeal to players of those games. Being a poor communicator is fine, but if you don't even make an attempt, then you won't be able to draw people into your game. You won't create a team if people don't find reasons to want to go along with your mod.
*Sigh*

I know why everyone is indifferent, please please please PLEASE can everyone just STOP with the posts about why you don't like it/why there is no hype/why you aren't interested.

After this post, if you do not have anything constructive to say, or you are not contributing to the thread, your post will be reported. I do NOT want to deal with all of your problems concerning my project, keep them to yourself. I know I'm just setting myself up with this post, but seriously, you shouldn't be posting if you aren't going to contribute, it only clutters the thread.

Now please, go away if you aren't going to be helpful to the PROJECT. I understand you're trying to help me make the project more widespread, but I could care less about the fame and stuff. As far as I'm concerned, Brawl+ will always be the most popular, this wasn't created with the intention of getting everyone to play. So stop posting. If I have to, I'll just have Bio delete the thread so you stop posting, and I'll make a new thread when I'm ready for release.

humble

Smash Ace
If I have to, I'll just have Bio delete the thread so you stop posting, and I'll make a new thread when I'm ready for release.
This is in fact an intelligent idea and a way to prevent further irritating posts telling you your project lacks purpose. When you have something to present, even if it is just a more fleshed out concept, so you can more accurately respond when people ask you what differentiates your project. I realize you are attempting to get coders for your project, but first you must have an idea of what it is you are going to do. As of now your topic needs work, so rather then reporting people for pointing this out to you, fix it. Treat the illness, not the symptoms.

pokelover980

Smash Ace
This is in fact an intelligent idea and a way to prevent further irritating posts telling you your project lacks purpose. When you have something to present, even if it is just a more fleshed out concept, so you can more accurately respond when people ask you what differentiates your project. I realize you are attempting to get coders for your project, but first you must have an idea of what it is you are going to do. As of now your topic needs work, so rather then reporting people for pointing this out to you, fix it. Treat the illness, not the symptoms.
Please, please just stop. Now. I won't report you, but just stop with the bull****. I'm working on a new first post, and when I'm done it will be changed, but for now, ignore this thread until I update the post. Once I'm done you can all post again, but please stop posting for now. It'll probably be some time tomorrow, so I don't expect to see any posts until then. Everyone got that? If you do, you'll be smart and not post.

camelot

Smash Ace
can everyone just STOP with the posts about why you don't like it/why there is no hype/why you aren't interested.
This is the exact thing that needs to be in this thread. People have legit reasons on why they don't like the idea of this, and they're telling you why, so you can fix these problems.

if you do not have anything constructive to say, or you are not contributing to the thread, your post will be reported.
Once again, they have been constructive, you're just ignorant. What they're telling you is the truth. This project does not have anything unique compared to other mods; you even said this is "a combination of mods", which pretty much says that this is just a smattering of codes, and that certainly doesn't help the uniqueness factor.

Also: If you're taking away "MK's ridiculous priority", why would a Metaknight player EVER play with this mod on? This change only seems like a very biased step to eliminate Metaknight from the roster.

Same goes for other characters who you're "removing ridiculousness" from. They won't want to play this, either, as those so-called "ridiculous" things are part of their game, and removing them just makes more limits (which is not fun, by the way).

I do NOT want to deal with all of your problems concerning my project,
Then don't make a project. If you're not going to listen to what the other posters are saying, they aren't going to want to play this. Have fun fighting against only CPUs.

Now please, go away if you aren't going to be helpful to the PROJECT.
You certainly aren't being helpful to the PROJECT either, if you keep ignoring people.

I could care less
FFFFFfffffffffffffff.......

stop with the bull****.
Oh, the irony.

Closing words: Quit acting like a 13 year old Sonic fan on DeviantArt who ignores all "negative" constructive criticism. You're not going to gain any team members with this attitude. Remove the stick that is firmly planted in your buttocks.

camzy

Smash Journeyman
Sorry Pokelover there's just nothing about this project that interests me at all. You're basically improving the balance of Brawl+. Help them out and you'll be a lot more valued and you'll actually get people to play with your changes.

If you really want this to go ahead it'll have to have rethink everything.

I would like a mod where the game is dominated by items or where world wrap is on (can't kill horizontally only vertically.) Just some ideas off the top of my head but you really need to work on your idea better. Nobody is going to support an idea that's basically a ripoff of what's already out there.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
I'm pretty much going to lock this for now (at least for 24 hours) to prevent further arguing/flaming.

Pokelover, if you want to edit your post clearing up the questions (even with brawlshifter), PM me with your edited post. If your edited post checks out with me, I will unlock this topic. The general impression just coming into this topic and seeing all of the arguing over miscommunication is not really what anyone wants to see.

pokelover980

Smash Ace
Thanks for that, Bio, much appreciated.

Anyways, the post is redone, please try to follow my rules (which means you'll have to read various parts of the post, I need to organize them all in one spot. For now, they're scattered). I won't argue anymore (and that's a promise), so I expect the same from you all. Anyways, I'm working on clearing the confusion at this point, and I want to make absolutely everything clear. If you want to help make things clear, just send me a PM with some help, but do it in a nice, professional way as mentioned in the first post.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
So let me get this straight, I'm really trying to wrap my brain around this one. The goal of this project is to:

1. Achieve balance, where everyone should be around the same tier as Fox, sorta like BBrawl (except this balances towards a different character, and as far as I know in some different ways).
Okay, so one of the goals is to achieve a particular level of balance, in this case bringing characters down or up to Fox's level. However, what is meant by the:

(except this balances towards a different character, and as far as I know in some different ways)
When you say "as far as I know" it's kind of confusing because it's as though you're not quite sure if it will be balanced in different ways, but it may be. You're the head of this project, express to us ways the balance will differ.

2. Increase gameplay speed, kind of like Brawl+ does. Hitstun is set at .49, and there will be other codes that affect gameplay, which I will list later once the codelist is further down the line towards beta.
Okay, so the game's play speed is going to be addressed. Speeding it up like Brawl+. Increasing hitstun to facilitate an actual combo game.

there will be other codes that affect gameplay...
Such as? In all seriousness, what kind of additional gameplay affecting elements can we expect? This shouldn't be difficult for you to express because, clearly you have a reason for starting this project. It'd only make sense that you have some clear, concise design goals. If you want people to be more interested in this project, you may as well come clean with the changes right up front, even if some are impossible. Look at other projects as a reference, Project M for example states everything that it's about, and doing, right in the OP. It even lists codes that are mere ideas, as they aren't working yet.

It's not so far-fetched to ask you how this will really differ from other projects.

3. Fix as many of the things gone wrong in Brawl as possible. This includes, but in limited to, glitches, balance, slow speed and stages with bad death boundaries/ledges. Some codes may be needed to fix some of these things, some of the things might not need codes and can be edited in their files.
Okay so you're going to fix things. Well that's good. What glitches? Dead frames on jump? MK's cape glitch? Poor ledges on FD? Is tripping considered a glitch?-- as it's absolutely terrible.

If, at this point, you still think there is nothing at all unique to this, then leave.
Very direct, however, perhaps you haven't realized that you've yet to include something in the OP (especially up to this point) that's in anyway unique. If you had expressed a specific design goal, a specific example as to how gameplay will be unique from Brawl+, BBrawl, and Brawl- I'd have no problem. You've only stated that it will have the speed of Brawl+ and the balancing of BBrawl... Looking at the currently existing mods of Brawl, namely the ones I've mentioned, each one has a specific goal in mind, and it accomplishes that goal. Let's look at them one by one...

Brawl+: Improves on the speed of the game. Improves balance (removing infinities, chain grabs, etc..). Fixes and modifies various stages. Brings Melee and 64esque elements to the table, such as, but not limited to, removing auto sweet-spotting ledges, aerial momentum, lag-less edges, fine-tune gravity settings. In addition, it converted vBrawl's game play from defensive to offensive. All of these changes, and many more, with the intent to make the transition from vBrawl to Brawl+ as easy as possible. It's streamlined to be as user-friendly as possible, even including auto L-canceling.

BBrawl: Make's as few changes as humanly possible to improve gameplay. For one, right in its mission statement, it goes on to express that it will not remove anything that makes Brawl.. Brawl. No gravity changes will be present, everything will be exactly the same save for the removal of infinities, chain-grabs, and various character balances. Various levels have been slowed, or reversed, to make them better.

Brawl-: Break the boundaries of what's considered right and wrong... Adds a lot more hitstun, nearer 64 levels (but more DI). Increases hitlag, to make sweet-spotted attacks feel more rewarding. Basically, every character in this game is "super" but as mentioned in the OP, "if everyone's super, no one is." If the gameplay mechanics aren't enough to call this mod unique (unique like Brawl+, and BBrawl before it), DK has a projectile... Balance is still a concern of this project, as they don't want one character to be the end-all-be-all.

Project: M: A mod of Brawl+ that aims at replicating Melee much more closely, adding a ton of much-needed technical skill to the game. Adds new character specific ATs, increases the gameplay speed even MORE than Brawl+. Entirely new AD system, known as a Hybrid Air Dodge (HAD) system, which is entirely unique. Characters can once again wavedash... there's a whole host of changes planned, and in progress. There's no question as to what this project's intent is, we know what we can expect from it (that's why I'm so excited for it).

Now what about your project?

Brawl (Fixed temp. name): Brawl+ speed with BBrawl balance. Fix glitches, levels, etc. Increase hitstun.

There's really not much that I can say, as you've left little to excite us with. For example, which niche will Brawl fixed fulfill that hasn't already been covered by one of the above mods? If you're going for balance and speed... Brawl+ already does that. P:M is certainly faster, and will be balanced.

One thing that puzzles me, is that you'd like to marry Brawl+ with BBrawl. How exactly does that work? Again, I don't get it because you haven't addressed it. I mean, you say that you're going for Brawl+'s speed, and BBrawl's balance. It's almost as if you'd think Brawl+ isn't balanced as is. In fact, if you take the kind of balance concepts from BBrawl, and apply them to a game like Brawl+ you'll have a vastly imbalanced game. Each mod is balanced in such a way that compliments its unique codeset, and goal. Many of BBrawl's changes, to my knowledge, give characters better followups, perhaps even combos, decreasing the KB of certain moves so that another attack can be landed on the enemy. If this was the case with more hitstun, as is evident in the world of Brawl+, this sort of balancing wouldn't really be balancing at all.

If you want people to help you with this project, why not construct a well-thought-out mission statement? A clear and rather concise list of goals, and concepts that makes this iteration of Brawl unique from the other mods. As of now, you're just hoping people will buy into the fact that you've offered them no true explanation of this project, telling them that "If, at this point, you still think there is nothing at all unique to this, then leave."

It's not that we don't think it's not unique, it just that we know it isn't. Until you've actually expressed the "unique" aspects of the gameplay, balance ideas, etc, then I guess I must, as you've put it, "leave."

In conclusion, I wish your project the best. Furthermore, I hope that you can come up with some more compelling reasons for people to be excited about this.

BTW, this post is by no means an attempt to troll. I was expecting you to have changed the OP, clearing up the confusion in this thread... but in reading it again I see nothings really been done. Constructive criticism is very important, it's the only way we can improve. Trust me, I'm an artist... I live by constructive criticism.

Good luck. :)

pokelover980

Smash Ace
Thanks for that post Orca. I'm not frustrated today, so I won't get angry. I'll read your post over a few times and fix up the first post. Sadly, I can't do that until Friday because my time is consumed. I might be able to tonight, but it's not likely.

Anyways, if anyone makes applications tomorrow or Thursday, I won't be able to immediately respond to tell you if you made it or not.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Thanks for that post Orca. I'm not frustrated today, so I won't get angry. I'll read your post over a few times and fix up the first post. Sadly, I can't do that until Friday because my time is consumed. I might be able to tonight, but it's not likely.

Anyways, if anyone makes applications tomorrow or Thursday, I won't be able to immediately respond to tell you if you made it or not.
Sounds good. I look forward to the revisions. :)

pokelover980

Smash Ace
I don't think you'll achieve anything as unique as pigBrawl.
Nothing is as unique as pBrawl :U

EDIT: First post updated a little. It'll be updated more over the next few days, don't think I'm done and that I've tried to clarify everything. I barely changed anything this time XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom