• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metagame Development Thread. New thing to read!

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
Disclaimer: SNACK ATTACK IS GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARBAGE.

So, I posted about one, and there was some talk about it. PhantomX directed my attention to this, so I'mma start one for now.

Here's the first thing for it.

FootStool Banana Combo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93wxSc8JoCc&feature=sub

Using the Bike more

RealBobMan was kind enough to write a guide on how to use the bike better.

But here are some quotes from other Warios.

I agree that the bike and tires are the next step for the metagame, I'll try to focus on that from now on. Whenever I advance my Wario, I always do it in steps. For a long time, it was not to get grabbed, then it was bite, then grabbing instead of forward smashing, and most recently using Nair more. I LOVE NAIR!!

I have experimented with tires a little bit. Z catching them and throwing them downwards in the air creates a little wall that you can use to pressure your opponents. You can start a combo with the tire hit, or keep yourself from getting punished by pushing them into the tire, which gives them a bit more shield stun. The bike itself can be thrown straight up to surprise hit people recovering high, or forcing them to airdodge so you can clap/fart them (also works with the tires, but they are faster and don't put up as much pressure).
the Wariobike
I've Just Realized That My Guide Isn't Very Newb Friendly. It Explains A Lot, But Leaves Out Crucial Details About Some Basic Things. Here's Some Copy Pasta Of My Post In Another Topic About How The Bike Works:

Think Of It Like This. The Bike Is Its Own Entity With Its Own Hp. This Makes It Disjointed From Wario. When You Drive It Past A Certain Speed, It Becomes A Hitbox. Simple Enough Right?
By Doing A Wheelie, You're Pulling The Front Wheel In Front Of Yourself As You Connect With Your Opponent. Since The Bike Has Its Own Hp, It Eats Hits For You And Protects You. So By Doing A Wheelie, You're Putting A Meat Shield In Front Of You, That Also Happens To Be A Hitbox If You're Going Fast Enough.

So Knowing That, The Same Things You Already Know Come Into Effect. The Bike Beats A Falcon Punch Because The Falcon Punch Isn't Disjointed, But The Bike Is. The Bike Takes The Hit For You (and Has Enough Hp To Live Through A Falcon Punch), And Falcon's Hand Takes The Hit From The Bike.
Doing A Wheelie To Put Part Of The Bike Out In Front Of You Also Causes You To Move Up In Elevation. So Long As Your Opponent Has The Vertical Grab Range For It, You Can Block The Bike Hitbox And Sheildgrab Wario Off The Bike, Same As If Wario Just Tries To Run You Over.
If An Attack Hits Both You And The Bike, You'll Get Knocked Off The Bike (cause You Got Hit). Doing A Wheelie Can Help You Protect Yourself Against A Projectile, But You're Still Going To Get Nailed By Multi-hit Attacks (pk Fire Can Do This).

Also, Be Aware That The Hitbox On The Bike Is Somewhere Near The Front, So You Can Actually Go Full Speed Through Someone And Not Hit Them If You Do A Full Wheelie At The Wrong Time, Especially Against A Shorter Character.

So Yes, Doing A Wheelie Adds Priority, But Only In The Sense That You're Hitting The Opponent's Hurtbox Before He/she Hits Yours. In All Honesty, The Bike Still Exists In Front Of You When You Try To Ram Someone Without A Wheelie, It's Just That Doing A Wheelie Pulls More Of The Bike Out In Front.

I Hope This Helps. I Guess I Should Explain All Of This In My Guide For People That Don't Know. -_-;

One More Thing. I Belive The Bike Does Damage/knockback Based On The Speed At Which You Ram Someone. That's Why The Super Bike Jump Glitch Kills At Low Damage, And Why Warioman's Bike ***** Everything.

The Wariobike Is, In My Opinion, One Of The Best Sideb Moves In The Game. It's Either This, Or Dancing Blade. First, Let's Take A Look At What Wario's Sideb Does:

1. You Pull Out A Bike And Ram Someone With It. The Bike Ram Does Damage And Knockback Based On The Speed You're Going When You Hit Your Opponent.
2. You Can Jump Off Of The Bike For Extra Recovery. Be Aware That You Get More Height When The Bike Is Tilted Backwards Than If You Lean Forwards On It In The Air.
3. You Can Use The Bike As An Item.

That's Just About All Anyone Cares About When You Bring Up The Wariobike. Considering You Do About 10% From A Ram With The Bike, And You Can Be Shield-grabbed Off Of It, People Avoid It. It's Pretty Situational To Ram Someone With It. Let's Take A Closer Look.

4. The Bike Has Its Own Hp.
5. The Bike Will Carry Its Own Momentum Through Attacks Aimed At It.
6. When The Bike Is Broken, You Get 2 Tires From It.
7. The Bike Will Not Move When On A Moving Platform.
8. The Bike Can Bounce, Just Like Its Tires.
9. The Bike Is Affected By Wind (wispy Woods) And Suction (inhale).

Now Let's Talk About How The Tires And The Bike Are Connected.

1. The Bike And Its Tires Count As The Same Item.
2. Devaluing The Bike Counts Towards Devaluing The Tires, And Vice Versa.
3. The Bike And Tires As Items Do Not Count Towards The Stale Moves Of Ramming Someone With The Bike - That Is A Separate Attack.

By Now, Some People Might Be Confused. Why Does This Matter? Think About It For A Moment. First Off, The Bike Is Useful For Much More Than Just Extra Jump.

Wario Has The Ability To Bring An Item Onto The Field At Any Time! The More I Think About This, The More I Remember That Plenty Of Characters Have Items, And Each Time I Try To List Them, I Leave Someone Out, So **** It. What Really Matters About The Bike Is That It's One Of The Only Items With Hp. Only Dedede's Babies Are Character Spawned And Have Hp Besides The Bike.

That Makes Wario Special (in A Way Different Than Previously Mentioned On The Dojo). What Does It Mean That Wario's Bike Has Hp? Well, First Off, It Can Get Attacked And Break. When It Breaks, You Get Tires. Nice Right?
More Than That. Look At The Gameplay Mechanics. Look At Stale Move Negation.

You Can Attack The Bike Yourself With Moves You Don't Normally Care To Use To Revalue Your Kill Moves, Just Like You Can Pull Out The Bike And Space Yourself In A Way That Causes Your Opponent To Hit The Bike And Weaken His Or Her Kill Moves.
In A Recent Tournament, I Managed To Live Up To Over 200% With Proper Di Because My Bike Was Taking Hits For Me And Devaluing My Opponent's Attacks.
Furthermore, I Always Have The Option Of Pulling Out The Bike And Attacking It To Revalue My Kill Moves. In Doing So, I Was Able To Continuously Get Low Damage (around 100-130%) Kos.

"but Your Opponent Can Catch On. He Or She Can Just Spam Weak Moves At The Bike To Revalue His Or Her Good Moves. This Is Worthless."
There's More To It. You Know What You're Doing, And You're Going To Be Safe About It. If Your Opponent Decides To Attack Your Bike, You Attack Your Opponent. If Your Opponent Decides To Attack You While You're Attacking The Bike, You Attack Both Your Opponent And Your Bike With A Strong Move (which Will Then Kill The Bike And Give You Tires).

Also, Remember How I Said That The Bike And Tires Count As Separate Attacks In The Move Quene? That Counts Too. Every Time You Land An Attack With A Tire Or With The Bike, It Counts Towards Freshening Your Moves. Let's Look At Some Numbers:

The Bike, When Thrown Upwards With The C-stick, Does About 20% In One Hit Upon Landing On Your Opponent (when Fresh). If It Bounces Before Hand, I Believe The Damage Goes Down A Little Bit, But It's Still In That Range (17-18%) On The First Hit. The Tires, When Fresh, Do About 10% From A C-stick Throw, And About 8% If They Hit After A Bounce.

!bike Combos!

The Wariobike Gives Wario The Ability To Perform True Combos. This Is Unique To Him And Rob (rob Can Juggle Against His Gyro When It's At A Standstill), But Wario's Combos Have The Potential To Be Much More Damaging. Basically, The Tires Don't Really Have Any Knockback (probably Set Knockback), But They Have Pretty Substantial Hit-stun. The Bike Has Some Knockback (which I Believe Is Set), Does High Damage, Has Substantial Hit-stun, And Will Hit You Repeatedly! The Tires Will Only Hit Each Character 1 Time Per Throw (you Can Bounce It Off Multiple People In Ffa Or 2v2), But The Bike Will Bounce On Anyone Repeatedly. This Is Crucial.
Utilizing Just The Bike, You Can Perform Devastating Combos. Even If A Combo Doesn't Result From Your Opponent Getting Hit By The Bike, You've Just Given Them 20% For Landing The Hit In The First Place. That Hurts Hard. Here's An Example Of What A Bike Combo Can Do (it's Against Comps, But It's Only For The Purpose Of Illustrating The Power Of The Bike):

http://allisbrawl.com/video/video.aspx?id=7772

So The Key Here Is That You Can Pull Off True Combos By Using The Bike And Tires. That Alone Is Enough To Make Wario Exceptionally Fun To Play. There's More To The Bike Even After This Stuff (gasp), But I'll Get To That Later.
Now, If You Want To Use The Bike To The Fullest, You Need To Know A Bit About How It'll Behave When You Throw It.

1. Throwing The Bike With The C-stick Counts As A Power Throw (like A Smash Throw Of Any Item). The Bike Will Do More Damage On Contact, And It'll Go A Little Further When Thrown This Way.
2. Throwing The Bike With No Directional Influence (just Tapping A After Picking It Up) Will Cause It To Go In An Upward Arc, And Then Back Down In Front Of You About The Distance Of The Tip Of Ike's Sword When He Fsmashes.
3. Throwing The Bike Forward Usually Will Not Cause It To Bounce Off Of The Floor, But Throwing It Upward Will. That Is Key For Stage Control And Some Combo Setups.
4. Slanted Edges Will Affect The Bounce Of The Bike. That Is Crucial In Some Stages, And Can Give You An Incredible Advantage.
5. The Bike Has Enough Hp To Live Through A Non-stale Falcon Punch. I Would Imagine That It Has Around 30 Stamina, But I Don't Know For Sure. From My Experience, The Bike Will Live Through Bouncing On An Opponent's Head About 3 Times (sometimes 4) From A C-stick Throw Upwards. It Seems That Since The Bike Is Thrown Harder And Does More Damage With A Power Throw, It Takes More Damage. If You Neutrala Throw It, It Can Bounce As Many As 5 Or 6 Times, Which Is Perfect For Gimps (edgeguarding, And Drowning!)
6. The Bike Is So Heavy That It'll Sink. If You're Riding It, You'll Get Dragged Along With It. If You Toss It Off To Edgeguard Someone Who's Swimming And It Bounces On His/her Head, It Will Drag Him/her To The Bottom As It Sinks.
7. Just Like How The Bike Wont Move When Sitting On A Conveyer Belt, It Also Wont Be Affected If You Bounce It On One (though Trying To Pick It Up To Throw And Bounce Is Hard On Most Conveyer Belts Since You'll Be Dragged Off Of One Before You Can Throw The Bike).
8. The Bike Isn't Only Affected By Wind When It's Sitting There - It'll Also Be Blown Around When Bouncing!

The Tires:
Now, The Tires Don't Do As Much Damage Per Hit As The Bike, But Causing A Lot Of Damage With Them Isn't Really The Point, Especially Considering That Using The Tires A Little Too Much Will Devalue The Damage Done By The Bike, And Getting The Tires By Bouncing The Bike On Your Opponent 3 Or 4 Times Is Going To Reduce The Damage The Tires Do Anyway. There Are Really Only 4 Things You Need To Consider When Using The Tires:
1. You Can Bounce Them.
2. You Can Roll Them.
3. They Disappear When Blocked.
4. They Disappear Over Time, But The Time Counted Against Them Is Only Counted When They're Touching The Ground. If You're Holding A Tire, Or If The Tire Is Bouncing, It'll Last Longer. Rolling The Tire, However, Still Counts Time Against It.

Now, You Get 2 Tires Every Time The Bike Breaks. Whether Or Not You Can Control Both Of Them Is Kinda Dependent On Where They Go After The Bike Breaks, But If You Can Get The Both Of Them You're Going To Be Capable Of A Lot More Than If You Only Get One.
Now, If You Play Zss, You Might Feel More At Home Using The Tires Than You'd First Expect, But I Can Assure You They're Used A Little Differently. Zss's Suit Pieces Fly Further When You Throw Them And Have Kill Power. The Tires Dissapear When Someone Blocks Them, But They Set You Up Better Than The Suit Pieces When They Land. The Suit Pieces Do Last Longer When You Carry Them Or When You Bounce Them, So If You Play Zss And You Just Happen To Be Reading This, Remember That. Try To Hang Onto A Suit Piece For As Long As Possible, Revalue Your Moves Starting At Like 70% (dsmash Into Grab Into Pummel Into Whatever), Then Get Kills With It (and If You Ever Play Against A Zss, Be Aware Of This Too, And Don't Let Her Use Those Suit Pieces!).

Anyway, I'll List Just A Few Combo Lead-ins, Setups, Or Mindgames For You Guys, But After Reading The "wario Theory" Section, You Should Know All That You Need To Figure This Stuff Out For Yourselves.

1. Full-hop Over An Opponent, C-stick Throw Down, Fastfall, Uair. If The Tire Hits Your Opponent, You Should Be Able To Perfectly Link A Uair Out Of It, And If Your Timing Is Good, You Might Even Grab Your Tire Again With That Uair. At Most, This Simple Combo Will Land 27% On Your Opponent, And At Worst, Your Opponent Blocks The Tire And You Di Away Safely. (taking It A Step Further - Half Fart For A Ko).
2. Glide Toss Into Grab. Your Opponent Blocks The Tire, You Grab. Your Opponent Gets Hit By The Tire, You Can Still Grab, But You Might Be Able To Land A Fsmash Or A Fart. It's Not Perfectly Safe, But It Still Works.
3. Short Hop, C-stick Throw The Tire Down To Bounce It, Di Backwards, Dsmash Upon Landing. A Simple Mindgame That Someone Should Be Able To See Through, But I've Had This Land In A Tournament Before. Your Opponent Tries To Capitalize On Your Laggy Dsmash, Get's Hit By The Tire, And Held Still So That The Lingering Hit On Your Dsmash Hits Him/her.
4. C-stick Throw The Tire Up, Short Hop A Dair At Your Opponent And Di Through Him/her, Trying To Get The Last Hit On The Opposite Side. Because Of The Knockback Properties, Your Opponent Will Be Sent Backwards Toward Where The Tire Is Bouncing And Get Hit By It. Just A Bit Of Extra Damage. : )
5. Use The Above Setup, But With 2 Tires! At Lower Damage On Your Opponent, The First Tire Should Hold Him/her Still For The Second, Which Will Cause Just Enough Hit-stun To Follow Up With Something Else, Like A Fart, Fsmash, Or Grab. As Far As Damage Goes, Dair + Tire + Tire + 1/2waft Adds Anywhere From 40 To 60% Damage. If Used Near The Edge, That Might Even Kill, Or At Least Set You Up For An Edgeguard.

So, Quick Recap Of What The Bike Can Do:
1. You Can Ram Someone While Riding It.
2. You Get An Extra Jump Off Of It.
3. You Can Use The Bike As A Throwing Item To Rack Up Huge Damage.
4. You Can Break The Bike To Get Tires, Which You Can Then Use To Rack Up Damage Via Combos.
5. You Can Use It To Revalue Your Own Moves And Devalue Your Opponents' Moves.

But Wait... There's More!!!

One Little Trick I Picked Up A Few Months Back Is That You Can Continuously Ram Someone With The Bike (the Actual Sideb Attack) And Drag Someone A Short Distance. The Hitbox On The Bike Will Only Exist To Hit An Opponent 1 Time, And It Will Start When The Bike Picks Up Enough Speed. If You Let The Bike Move At It's Idle Speed, Tap The Control Stick To Accelerate Just As You're About To Hit Your Opponent, Then Let Off So You Slow Down, And Repeat It... You Can Land About 3 Or 4 Hits Before Your Opponent Can Do Anything About It Due To The Low Knockback From Moving So Slow. Because You're Moving So Slow, The Damage Done By Each Hit Is Only Like 1%, But This Definately Has It's Uses. One Will Be Discussed Later In The "wario Theory" Section, One Will Be Mentioned Right Now: Low Damage Kos If There's Ever A Walk-off Edge. Delphino? Castle Siege? Take Advantage Of This! : )

Bike Priority And You (important In Keeping The Bike From Being Used Against You)
Just So You Know, The Bike Can Still Be Attacked When You Throw It. What Happens To The Bike Depends On What Hits It. Some Moves Just Hurt The Bike, But The Bike Goes Through Them And Hits The Attacker. Some Moves Clank The Bike And Cause It To Bounce. Knowing Which Moves Do What Is Important In Developing Strategies Against Each Character With The Bike. For Every Other Character, I'll List How Their Moves React, And For Wario, I'll List What You Need To Know Here In Case Someone Reflects The Bike Or Throws It At You. The Bike's Hitbox Should Refresh At About The Same Rate As It Does When It Bounces On Someone.

1. Do Not Dair. The Bike Will Hit You, And You Don't Want That.
2. You Can Attack The Bike And Bounce It With Uair, But It Does So Much Damage That You Might Break It (which Might Be What You Want - The Tires).
3. You Can Bounce The Bike With Fair And Bair And Avoid Getting Hit So Long As You Don't Follow Through With Di And Run Yourself Into The Bike After Its Hitbox Resets.
4. If You Need To Approach Anyway, Or Want A Really Defensive Move, Nair Is Your Friend Here. If The Bike Lands On You From Above You'll Get Hit, But If You Go Through It Sideways You'll Be Fine. It Seems The Hitbox On Wario's Nair Is Strongest From The Sides And Weakest From The Top (it Should Be Fine From The Bottom Too). The Refresh After The First Hitbox Should Happen In Time To Protect You From A Second Bounce, But That's About It - Though It's Enough Time To Do What You Need To Do.

Also, Here Are A Few Strange Things You Can Do With The Bike:

Apparently The Bike Can Be Used In A Manner Similar To Bucket Braking: http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=52574

It Seems That A Glitch That Causes The Bike To Fly Straight Up Into The Air When Attacked While Doing A Wheelie On Uneven Terrain Also Makes The Damage/knockback From The Bike Hitbox Insane (metaknight Dies At 48%): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuyf219kbfq

It Seems That The Bike Can Do A Barrel Roll, And That Out Of Said Barrel Roll, You Can Do The Super Bike Jump: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mxg_4tzszi&feature=channel_page

Looks Like Running Over An Enemy's Pitfall Item With The Bike Will Cause You To Die: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl8auu6xwnu

Here's A Nice Example Of What You Can Accomplish, Both Good And Bad, When Using The Bike (hint - I'm Talking About The Second Match, The First Is Just Me Getting *****):
http://allisbrawl.com/video/video.aspx?id=11948
Que Combo! :O

This combo was brought to our attention by Que, a NY/NJ Wario main from the well known and revered crew, the Zodiac Braves.

LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IrQING3x9c

As you can see, it involves using a tire which means usng the bike and foot-stooling.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I wish he would of demonstrated it with Wario in a vid but it seems as though this could be very good for Wario. Although no footstool combo has had any impact on brawls metagame whatsoever.

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
You got me there, but it's a start, right?

I think I may have found a way to perform something similar to a wavedash with Wario as well.

I'm looking into it right now.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
This footstool combo is more viable b/c it isn't DIable and the requirements to perform it aren't ridiculous (not a certain percentage only combo, or all that). One footstool on them while they're standing/shielding while you're holding a banana (not that unlikely), and you're set.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
You got me there, but it's a start, right?

I think I may have found a way to perform something similar to a wavedash with Wario as well.

I'm looking into it right now.
I guess it is a start. But I'll wait and see someone pull this off before I try to learn it.

@ PX are you talking about this footstool combo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUhS8RQrOU4

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Maybe we can talk about Wario's throws. Like dthrow uthrow vs fthrow. Or when it's appropriate to use bthrow.

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
I PM'd Fiction a while ago asking about something he posted a long time ago (his "Fiction's Trixies" thread) and he said that there were lots of things that he hasn't shared yet with the community.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I would take his claims with a grain of salt.

And I only taught him some things, he taught me a couple as well. Wario's metagame was pretty much our collab work during the "omg grab release wario sucks" era, lol.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
@fair to waft: I have been doing this a lot and its my most fav fart set up. BUT i am rather curios about it. Does this work because the fair sour-spotted or because the DI inward?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
@fair to waft: I have been doing this a lot and its my most fav fart set up. BUT i am rather curios about it. Does this work because the fair sour-spotted or because the DI inward?
There has to be a little bit of both. I'm not sure if the fair legitimately combos into waft. I've always likened teh fair hit to a hit of Falco's laser. It's a quick disrupting move, but it doesn't have much stun. If they have no choice but to DI into you, though, and if you've eaten their DJ, they're going to eat the waft as well.

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
you guys have to realize that waft oli is a wifi player

im fairly certain that fair to waft isnt guaranteed at any % <_<

but you can still use fair to bait an airdodge then waft. or just follw them around in the air until they get scared then waft teehee

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691

but you can still use fair to bait an airdodge then waft. or just follw them around in the air until they get scared then waft teehee
Stop discrediting Wifi player plz it's really serious when two of the top 3 players in the world play wifi.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Fair to fart definitely isn't a combo, but it is a good setup. More like a trap than anything, because if you predict them right, they're dead.

I say the next step in Wario's metagame is usage of Nair. Nair is by far my favorite move of Wario's. It combos at low percents, and at higher percents, the weak hit of the Nair still combos into stuff, while the first hit turns into a killing blow.

Nair has a lasting hitbox, so it is good from a ledge drop and can be used to gimp people with mediocre recoveries like Luigi and Diddy Kong. A quick ledgehopped Nair can be used to kill people trying to grab the ledge.

Nair combos that I use are:
1. Nair to Nair.
2. Nair to grab/bite

Nair also combos into Fsmash, and I heard it combos into fart as well, but that's not very useful because it isn't at killing percents.

ALSO!!! Toobusy is right, we shouldn't be basing legitimate strategies off of Wifi play. Wifi sucks ***, and while I agree that it makes people better, well..... Wifi just sucks (you can combo people because they can't time their air dodge I'm saying).

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
You realize that those same people play TONS of offline tournaments, all the time? WiFi can be a supplement for offline, but being just an online player doesn't help you, ESPECIALLY if you play Wario.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever tried fair to fart. I'll report back with my findings if I smash today lol.

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
Wifi is for lolz and top players usually go silly characters or sandbag hard online
wifi will never be taken seriously

ALSO pwneroni said what i was getting at, its a trap more than anything, but so is every waft set up

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Pwneroni... I've been saying nair is Wario's most versatile and abusable move and that everyone needs to use it more for over a year now. You guys need to step it up! :)

SnackAttack

Smash Champion

I know what you mean, but Waft-OLi plays offline too and he's the best Wario in Southren Florida or something.

Joemama8

Smash Journeyman
I think the next big step for wario is utilizing tires and focusing your entire game strategy around getting your bike on the stage

/bobman
You warios should check out Krystedez (Goes by spectrum000 on the forums) he is 100% legit and he MAINS bike and SECONDS big tire! lol

Top Bottom