• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MA Power Rankings (melee)/General Discussion

Roman.

Smash Champion
Welcome to the Massachusetts Melee Power Rankings and General Discussion

This thread should be the basis for MA discussion as well as power ranking discussion.

Nu Nu NU *Smash* MA Player finder: R.I.P. NES n00b

MA Melee Power Rankings Panel

Power Rankings

1. Yedi :falco: :drmario:
2. Roman:fox:
3. The Irish Mafia:peach:
4. Kyu Puff :popo:
5. ArcNatural :fox:

3/20/10 - SOTP North Attleboro MA!!!
3/21/10 - The Four Swords present: Code of Hero- Vernon, CT
3/27/10 - MILKTEA'S brother's tourney that he needs to GRADUATE Mansfield CT
4/17/10 - Saffron City - East Coast Regional MELEE Monthlies! GO TO THIS!
4/18/10 - Sotp north attleboro MA
5/8/10 - Mass Madness X2 - Get Your Macho Juices Flowing For Mofo - Somerville, MA
5/15/10 - HEERO Presents: No Ceilings *A Melee Tourney*
5/29/10 - Mass Madness 20: We're baaaaaaaaaaack. Featuring Mofo! - Framingham, MA

Tournaments before the next Power Ranking

6/26/10 - SOTP 5 - North Attleboro, MA

6/27/10 - GameUnderground VideoGame & Music Fest MA

Upcoming Tournaments

NoJohns are back! July 10th! 60+ Melee is healthy enough in tristate right?

NESLIN II: New England Smash Lovin' In New-hampshire: FIRST POST UPDATED! Please Read

Prawn Presents: MASS B.A.S.S. Milford, MA 7/17/10

Souper Bowl 7/18 SUNDAY. Lowell, MA. Brawl, Melee, Brawl+

Saffron City - East Coast Regional MELEE Monthlies! Next one: July 24th!!!!!!

APEX 2010 Aug 6th - 8th : NJ USA/EU/JAPAN/CA REGISTRATION IS UP! 5/30 price goes UP

Flood of Deucalion - Cataclysm prep Tourney - September 11th 2010

Cataclysm 5 - CT - OCT 9-11 - Isai semi confirmed!

Revival of Melee 3! November 20th-21st!! Set the Date! Nanuet, NY

6/13/10

1. Yedi
2. Roman
3. The Irish Mafia
4. Kyu Puff
5. Arc Natural
3/12/10

1. Matt.Zeb
2. Arc Natural
3. Roman
4. Kyu Puff
5. Hero

Roman.

Smash Champion
Okay so I'm going to start with my list of the top 8:

1. Roman
2. Arc Natural
3. Kyu Puff
4. Matt.Zeb
5. Hero
6. Sky
7. Yedi
8. Spife

edit: btw, i'm going to keep track of everybody's list incase i have to compose it of averages or something

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
i clearly shouldnt be ranked since i haven't been to a tourney in quite a while

Banks

Smash Hero
I'm not from MA, buuuuuut

1. Roman
2. Arc
3. Kyu Puff
4. Mattdotzeb
5. Yedi
6. Hero
7/8/9. sky~spife~irish mafia (look up tournament results)

altho i hear hero is a bit better now

Banks

Smash Hero
fox player who goes places with hero, he has long hair. you'd know him if you saw him

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Because most of the players being ranked are close in skill/can beat each other and considering the fact that New England offers little in the way of tournaments, I don't think it's smart to do anything more than a top 5. The players who would need to play each other to be able to make the close calls rarely do. If you're serious about this, I recommend trying to organize a ranbat at the next MA tourney or something.

If you go by the criteria mentioned, I think Matt is clearly #1.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Also, Jared (Elen) has started playing again. Wouldn't be surprised if he shoots right up the list.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
This is sweet! PR topics are awesome and double as all sorts of sick discussion topics (ALA our NY one xD). social, tournament, trash talking, smashfests, whatever! I love pr topics and I can't wait to see it be done and pretty <3

Good **** Roman being (potentially and probably?) #1!!! =)

Banks

Smash Hero
This is sweet! PR topics are awesome and double as all sorts of sick discussion topics (ALA our NY one xD). social, tournament, trash talking, smashfests, whatever! I love pr topics and I can't wait to see it be done and pretty <3

Good **** Roman being (potentially and probably?) #1!!! =)
where do you get your ecstasy?

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Long Island. And it's Molly! Pure MDMA hardly any sass. I can get ecstacy pills in Albany though.

But this is hardly appropriate for smashboards and I'm sure I'll get a verbal warning saying drugs are not appropriate discussion on the boards ^_ ^

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
Hey we have rankings! good **** Roman.

I'm not good enough to make top 8 so no complaints from this one on that.

If I do ever get in there be sure to put my name above Omni's but below Maf's eh? <3 Omni and The Irish Mafia. also spife...

I haven't been to a real tourny in FOREVER but I'm gonna try to make it to MILK; and there's a 95% chance I will make it so lets see if I can make it onto the list @ like 15 or something...

EDIT: ZoSo's right it should be a top 5 ranking, and Matt.Zebb should be 1st. sorry Roman. :(

dudutsai

Smash Lord
My opinion of MA

I am no longer in MA

1 Arc Natural
2 Matt.Zeb
3 Roman
4 Kyu Puff
5 Hero
6 Sky
7 Yedi
8 Spife

Irish Mafia would be on here, but he doesn't go to enough tournaments
Elen would be on here, but he doesn't go to enough tournaments

St. Viers

Smash Champion
oh my. If arc and .zeb are so high, I need to get to more tourneys. Granted, I'm sure they are better than me now, but still, makes me want to prove myself ^_^

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
You all forgot to put me at the top of the list. I feel insulted.

You guys are forgetting about Elen and Trees. I'm pretty sure they both wreck most of MA, regardless of whether they're "active" or not. They definitely go to tournaments enough to be put on a ranking list.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
I think top three is me, Arc, and Roman in any order. I'm not making a list for now but Arc's supposedly gotten better recently so he might be first.

People who need to get to a tournament so they can be ranked:

Elen
Trees
Matt
Yedi

PK Webb

Smash Champion
I wish I lived here so I can attempt to be ranked but I probably be rock bottom

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
I think their should be a specific time period for people to judge their rankings off of. Do tournaments a year ago count? 6 months ago? 3 months ago?

This, everyone post your list crap isn't gonna really work. Everyone is biased. I'd rather it be more formulaic, and based off concrete tournament results, and Money matches.

Also, there are quite a few people we play with on a regular basis, that don't live in Mass, so I don't think it would be a bad idea to have them panel the entire thing. It would get rid of self-bias. People like Zoso, Kevin, Banks come to mind. If supplied with tournament data from a certain period i'm sure they could collectively come up with an accurate enough list.

my 8cents

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
I've busted my *** off going to tournaments.
If we're doing a MA top 5, mine'd be (for active players)
1: MattDotZeb
2/3: ArcNatural/Roman
4: Kyu Puff
5: Yedi

The only time I've seen Hero is when I played him in roy dittos at MattDotSmashfest and beat him, even when I sucked. IDK what tournaments I haven't been going to, if anyone could tell me I'll be there in a heartbeat. I've never played Sky so I don't know about him.
Are you guys going to MILK? if so, I'd love to play you.

Edit: different "hero". I'd like to play you though.

Hero 13

Smash Apprentice
irish mafia..never picked roy..never will bro lol .. sorry we haven't met

EDIT: none of this will prove n e thing though.. just wait for future tourny results..s h i t is too biased

dudutsai

Smash Lord
I'm joking, Mafia. I sarcasm from time to time

I think everyone I've talked to agrees that it is impossible for PR to be made that perfectly represents each person's skill.
While working off of a point system would end with an unbiased PR, one player missing a tournament would mean taking a ZERO, which would throw the whole point system off.

The most accurate way to make a PR for this region would be to base a list off of a combination of tournament results and money matches, but without a point system, and definitely without the consideration of friendlies.

How's this for a solution: Out of state people who play MA frequently (Bank$, th0rn, Zoso, KevinM, me) get together and make the first PR, which will be updated after each tournament.

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
I'm curious: What's this PR supposed to mean or do? Don't tourney placings speak for themselves when it comes to ranking people? Why go out of our way to make an arbitrary list?

Also, are there seriously only 11 people worth naming for this list? Why do you guys wanna rank the top 8 of 11 people? I'm pretty sure the only people who left MA for school were me, Relax, and Sai, and Sai's the only one who would have made rankings IMO (I dunno relax's tourney %, but mine is pretty abysmal).

Silliness I say. If you guys really want to be on a list to boost your egos, go for it. Heck, make 5 lists, that's gotta be better than one. I've never really understood the point behind PR's (if someone wants to explain it, I'll listen).

Also, I know I'm a terrible person to bring this up, since my only remaining connection to the community is via a couple random smashboards threads and (hopefully) some tourneys, but seriously, all this is gonna result in is a few people getting butthurt and some pointless bickering.

tl;dr: Go play smash, leave silly lists for politicians or something.

EDIT: Pre-emptive statement - this is food for thought. If it sounds like anything else, it's because I'm a terrible writer.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
wait wtf you live in troy what the hell? Dude come to our CNY or WNY events with the other people who commute from that area O_O Altarian who drives sai can pick you up probably it's on his way...

Plus Kwan the amazing DK player lives in Troy, you should get a hold of him if you haven't already??

EDIT: Green Archer check the topic and post where you're at and you can go on the map and meet people:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=255695

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
wait wtf you live in troy what the hell? Dude come to our CNY or WNY events with the other people who commute from that area O_O Altarian who drives sai can pick you up probably it's on his way...

Plus Kwan the amazing DK player lives in Troy, you should get a hold of him if you haven't already??

EDIT: Green Archer check the topic and post where you're at and you can go on the map and meet people:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=255695
LOL, I don't look around the boards much. Heck, I only find tourney threads because someone (usually MAF) links me to them. I'll hang out in the NY finder for a while though.

@improving via a list: Seriously, you need an arbitrary list to motivate you? Why not make your own list of people, in order of people who's hardest for you to beat, and then train to beat people on that list? Why let other people tell you who you should be trying to beat?

If you can't motivate yourself to get better, why do it? Peer pressure?

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
Why are you even arguing this? You're attempting to judge a person's character based on what sorts of this would motivate them? I just don't see why this is a big deal to you.

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
It's not a big deal to me at all. I'm just curious as to why people want the list, and I don't personally see "motivation" as a reason. Making your own list of goals should mean more to you than a list someone else makes, right?

I am curious as to whether or not a list happens, and what the final rankings come down to be. I'll use it to train too, since I can't motivate myself to get better right now (hypocritical I know, but what I think, what I say, and what I eventually do tend to vary drastically). I also don't plan on entering any tournaments for the foreseeable future. I've played tournaments for almost four years now (I think), about time I put some priorities in order: Fun first, tourneys second.

Man I got off topic. w/e

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
If people really want to do a PR (this came up in the CT thread a while ago as well), it should be a regional one. There doesn't really seem to be enough activity in any state to warrant separate lists.

Then again, I don't think there's enough activity in NE to warrant any list at all, so take my suggestion with a grain of salt.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Don't know why so many people are randomly trying to shoot down an idea before it even starts.

It seems petty.

Top Bottom