• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Hero of our time.

dmbrandonalt

Smash Rookie
It had been three weeks since I left my camp alone. I was in the jungle trying to find a certain flower for it's extract to save a village from a disease only curable in an antidote of highly volatile and scarce nature. I hadn't seen their faces in months. the last people I saw were my team, eaten alive not 20 days ago. It was my fault, I chose the campsite. I let my friends, and family die that day, as I ran for my life. I tried to choose to save them, but my body's natural reaction was to run. My mind was shut down, I had no choice.

It had been three weeks since I've eaten anything you'd maybe buy yourself. Dirty water and bugs, for nineteen days. I could barely hear myself think over the cries of the jungle. It had always been a dark, awe-inspiring place, with the constant rattlings of the world, but today was different. It was too loud. Too... loud. Every horror movie victim would have prayed for the loudness, but there was something wrong, here, I thought. A shadow shifted; I blinked, rubbed my eyes, and readjusted. It was nothing.

And just then, one thousand nothings came rushing at me. Bats. Gigantic, vicious, blood sucking vampire bats. Again, my body took over.

Nervous, I huddled into the fetal position, hoping to convince them I was already dead. No dice. The landed in front of me. I stood up, wearily, hoping they weren't here to do to me what they've most likely done with jaguars, and poisonous snakes. There must have been close to a nine hundred, nay, a thousand of them. I couldn't feel my legs, in fact the only thing I could do is barely force myself to stand up, keeping my ground, hoping I could buy myself enough time to think of a plan. I stared the bats alpha down with a stone gaze, unknowingly to the bats, the gaze was only masking my silent prayers, as I knew I'd be soon amongst those I've lost. Them, and my creator.

Easing my way into the acceptance of death, I closed my eyes. A load roar and a cool wind brushed my face. I hadn't felt the wind since I entered the jungle, and this breeze seemed almost unnatural.

When I opened my eyes, I saw him. Inui had come, riding on a lion the size of the larger version of Apache Chief. You know, when he gets all big? Inui dismounted, walked up to the bats, and began to howl. I didn't know if I was being saved, or I should be more afraid what he would do once I was free of the bats. The thought haunted me to the point where I lost my footing.

Inui took his shirt off. The weaker, milder of the bats fell unconscious to the sight alone. My prayers shifted from my father to the hopes of him never turning around. I didn't know if I could take it. Before I could even shake the imagery, Inui roared to the heavens once again, and with the booming of his mighty voice, he let loose a fierce fist to the ground, shaking not only the flooring, but the heavens themselves.

Between the rumbling, and the idea of his strength, my body convulsed. I vomited until my innards had nothing left, as if it were a sacrifice to his power. I didn't question it, I musted the the will to loosen my grasp to the group, and let the violent earthquake take me where I needed to be. In the last seconds of my consciousness, I saw what seemed to be 500 bats pummeled into oblivion. The lion, standing there, almost impervious to the shaking ground. And Inui, with a mocking smile, standing in the now open field that was once a closed canopy, basking in the glorious sun. I knew I was done for.

When I awoke, I was in a warm bed, with the smell of soup rushing through me. The first thing I noticed, is that I was in the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. Inui would explain later he made the bed by hand, of angel's wings and dragon's bones. The next thing I noticed, is that I was completely unharmed.

I jumped from the bed, feeling better than new, and sprang over to the door. The shelter I had woke in was a wooden cottage. Something you'd think you'd only see on television. The curtains were made of Egyptian silk, and the wood was a strong cherry oak. It smelled of wood fire, and lavender. Almost intoxicated, I backed from the door, too nervous to see the aching world, now that I've been jaded by this paradise. I walked the cottage's inner parameter, scaling and judging. It had gone from a wanderlust of intrigue, to a quest to find the slightest flaw. Needless to say, I couldn't...

Finally, the smell of food caught up with me. Who knows how long I'd been asleep, right? I mean, alone in a beautiful house, with the smell of freshly cooked Turkey Soup? I approached the kitchen counter, still a bit soft from the almost drug-like smells invading me like a poison. I reached in the cabinet to find a bowl, but only found glasses, at first. I scoured the kitchen for close to three minutes before I saw a bowl had already been set out for me. I picked the bowl up to fill it with the golden soup, which seemed so good at this point, I felt god had written a verse about it, warning me of it's dangers.

When I sat back down, I noticed a note, had been where I had picked the bowl up from,

"Dear Brandon,

You seemed to have lost consciousness. It's been a few weeks now, and while I would love to stay to take care of you, I have pressing business I must attend to!I have left you this house along with anything you may find in it. I won't be returning. The problem I face is days away in travel up north, and then I've to return to my family. The soup I've prepared was made with Fairy's tears, so it will never spoil, or lose it's flavor. Feel free to eat as much as you'd like, save for a small amount to feed the horse outside, waiting for you.
Also, there is a map on the wall to direct you back to town. When you get there, set the horse free, and it will find his way to me.

Inui
"

A bit startled, I knew, finally, that I was safe. I spent that time consuming and consuming til my heart was content. When I was finished, I took the remains to the door, and opened it to the new world. A world I don't think anyone besides me, this horse, and inui could have known about. The lushest greens, the brightest blue sky, and the singing of thousand of invisible birds. The song made symphonies seem like nails on a chalkboard. I was in heaven. I don't think I moved for days, just watching the sky and the trees, listening to the wind. I understood what Pochantas had been singing about. I could hear the names of the forests around me.

I was startled back to reality when I thought of the village that needed my help. Surely, at this point, they'd have been eradicated, sent back to the Nether from which they came. My eyes flooded, as the only real thing I could have shown for my otherwise worthless life was to help these people. The people, who weren't people anymore.

I knew what I had to do. I had to return, to the city of ghosts, and bury the bodies of those who counted on me. It was the only service I could provide, and it was the least these good, suffering people deserve.

So, I fed the horse, as the great Inui asked. I backed a bag of some the fruit in the house, along with some of the treasures he had laden about. I figured I could sell them to buy expensive headstones, showing the glory to these people who most ultimately deserved it. I packed and packed til I could barely stand, and then I got on the back of the horse, and before I could even get settled, he bolted away like lightning. If Tolkien knew of the speed and grace of this beast, nay, this titan, I think he would have been mused with the writings of another chapter of The Hobbit.

As I traveled these long days, there were countless villages, who seemed in perfect harmony. Every one, had a statute of Inui, tackling the Monster that plagued their lives. One portrayed Inui ripping the wings off of a Chimera. Another, had him bare knuckle punching a lion, and the lion airborne. Strangely, I think that was the beast Inui had been riding, when he saved my life.

The last town I ventured through, had a dark cloud around it. I could barely see through the fog, but when I approached the first building, it began to clear. The purple fade existed in the center, but it was clearer than the thick fog that the city is encased with. I saw it. The idea that haunted the dreams in my bittered state. The statue of this town was Golden, aside from their usual silver. Inui stood, shirtless, holding the Holy Grail. The evil that this town is built on... Built IN, was kept at bay by Inui's unkempt body. It was a sight of extreme horror, yet incredible peace.

The town's people sang endlessly of his triumphs. My name will most likely be forgotten.

As I got to my desired town, the horse nuzzled against me. Tearfully, I released his reign, and like the wind, he was gone before you'd ever think to grab at it. I trudged through the town, selling the trinkets for whatever I could. Hoping as I walked, I seemed to have enough money to give the town the funeral they so rightly deserved.

I boarded the nearest train, and crossed what little land I had left to travel. Even on the train, people sang his name in angelic voices. Even people who normally were tone deaf found the right muscles to cringe when they sang of his glories. I walked from that station for a few days. Thinking of these past weeks, and how my life has been forever altered. At times, I noticed when I was walking that there would be two sets of foot prints. When times got hard, I saw that my lord had abandoned me. Something I never thought I would allow myself to say, but at this point, I knew it must have been true.

In the last day of walking, I saw my town in the distance. But instead of the dark, meaningless view I expected, I saw lights, and heard cheering. As I got closer I began to recognize those I once knew. This must be a mirage, I thought. This can't be real.

It was real. My battered, worn body felt lighter. My strained, burdened mind felt free.

I got to the town square, where every other town had a statue of Inui. This statue was glowing more brightly than the other, and instead of a precious metal, looking life like.

It moved.

Inui was there, and knew of my plan. He saved the town, and waited for my return. He sang of my presence, and how without my help, he never would have been able to save them. I protested as loudly as I could, but no matter the strength in my voice, I was overthrown by the crowd's laughter and cheering.

I was... a hero?

No! I got their attention, and told of his glory. I told for days what he had done in every town I had traversed. Inui brought me aside, after my story was told, telling me of the battle that ensued in my sleep. He explained to me that during the times hardest in my life, he was there, watching over my every move. When needed, he was there to carry me.

Inui saved the lives of thousands. Inui saved me from a nightmarish hell. I've seen him, amongst his mighty lion, riding the wind as if it were a road, carrying the weight of the world on his gigantic shoulders, and thighs.

Next time he posts, and you think to yourself "He is being arrogant, and I don't think he should be that way" maybe you should think about what he's done for the world. This man is a hero, and treating him as anything but that is a crime under god.

Zucco

Smash Master
This is the greatest post in the history of posts. Everyone needs to read this.

bajisci

Smash Ace
........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................I am in awe.

Sliq

Smash Master
My only regret is that this story is about Inui...and that I have...Bone-itis...

Top Bottom