• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upthrow is OP. A Jigglypuff+ guide (Now discussing matchups)

Jer

Smash Ace
Here we go

This is my attempt at reviving the Jigglypuff thread, i'll try to teach you what to do against certain characters, what moves have sexy priority, and pretty much the basics of Jigglypuff, the cutest character in the game :)

The only thing that's near impossible for me to teach is to pretty much "How to play" in a certain sense. It'll be impossible for me to teach you how to space properly, read techs, "mindgame" your opponent into doing what you want them to do, or what to do when you're being pressured in certain situations, this is for you to find out on your own. What i will be able to teach you is what to do in certain matchup, what moves are the sex, and pretty much the basics to get you going with Jigglypuff.

All frame data information was taken directly from Veril's thread, which he allowed me to use. If anything has changed, he will let me know, and you guys will know as soon as possible.

*All frame data was collected by Veril testing frame perfect with the frame advance code (debug menu). Values are for B+ (this really matters for shieldstun). If you intend to use this information at any point, please remember to credit me or I will do terrible unspeakable things to you. As you will see, some information does not match up to the vBrawl Jiggs frame data. I will note that I currently assume the hitbox durations shown there are correct for all aerials, so credit goes to Illinialex for testing them.

The goods

Jigglyfaqs 1: Why use bair instead of fair?

Bair is one of Jiggs' best moves, if not the best in my opinion.

Fair has greater range, a strong and weak hitbox, equivalent startup to bair, and a long sex kick. The strong box is where the kills are at, where has the weak hitbox has low knockback, making it quite the combo starter. It can set up for 3 KO moves: Strong Fair, Rest, and Dash Attack. B-air has less aerial lag, and a crazy knockback angle, which makes it combo into itself, or fair. The knockback is less than the strong hitbox but greater than the weak one. This means it loses out in regards to versitility, but fills a niche that f-air does not. The moves differ in regards to the autocancel points, hitstun frames, and aerial lag... thus the best times to land them to maximize frame advantage.

Bair is almost like "The Jiggs move". It can combo into any one of Jigglypuffs moves, excluding the smashes unless you get lucky. This and up-tilt are Jigglypuffs combo starters, so get used to using them alot.

Here's an overview of some relevant frame data

Both Fair and b-air both have 7 frames of starting lag. Landing during any of these frames will cause the move to autocancel, and you will suffer only 2 frames of landing lag vs. the normal 11. The hitboxes both begin on frame 8. Bair's hitbox stays out slightly longer (8-11) than f-airs strong hitbox (8-9), though fairs weak hitbox lasts a long time (10-20). B-air also ends earlier by 5 frames while in the air (32 vs 37) and autocancels earlier (23+ vs. 27+).

When you take into account their shield hit lag differentials and shieldstun, that's when things truly become interesting...

Changes from Brawl to Brawl+

Jiggs got the crap end of the stick in vbrawl. Her rest got nerfed pretty bad, but not actually as bad as people made it seem. Without hitstun, WoP was virtually gone. F-smash was much slower, d-smash was crazy punishable, and dtilt was pretty much useless. With the addition of stale moves, this limited Jigglypuff's f-air, her best KOing move.

Jigglypuff in Brawl+ is now much better, but not as good as melee Jiggs. Rest KO's very early now, around 30% without DI from the center of FD and there are endless amounts of ways to combo into it. Rest is punishable however, depending on the knockback angle, so make sure you know exactly when to use it.The ability to rest through moves (that I've been talking about forever) is nerfed in B+, but not gone. Its impossible to rest through most multihit moves in B+ (unlike Brawl), BUT resting through hitboxes is still possible... and really cool. Rest has effectively unbeatable priority due to invincibility frames.

The whole "Stale moves" idea was so garbage. Jigglypuff is now playable again :) Fair is like, THE SEX, no seriosuly, go pick up the game right now, and just use fair, i guarantee you'll want to pick up Jiggs on the spot because of it. Dash attack can also Kill now. I know, it's crazy right?

Jigglypuff is still light as hell though, which means getting combo'd (Which rarely happens if you DI right) is NOT an option. She can die as early as 80% with certain characters, even less (Ike,Bowser, etc.) Her ground game is iffy, but manageable, and some of her moves have limited range.

Jiggs is a DEADLY character in brawl+. She's still super light, which makes her easily KO'd, but just small and cute enough to do some disgusting damage.

Pros and Cons of Jigglyplus

Pros:
-MAD CUTE
-Best recovery after MK
-Pound (Oh you'll see this)
-Rest combos(Three hit to rest is good right? :) )
-Amazing Aerial game
-Can't be CG'd
-Strong Fair, WoP.
-Nair (I'll get back to this later in)
-Forward Throw (Especially without DI)
-Upthrow (Until it gets changed)

Neutral:
-A sub-par ground game made much better with dash-canceling, dash-dancing, etc
-Rest is punishable on KO and as such its use is limited to a certain % window.
-Several moves are very situational.

Cons:
-lightest character in the game. She dies crazy early.
-Getting grabbed is like GG no re, with certain characters like Marth, she can get grabbed into some redonkulous combos.
-Obviously bad matchups with Marth and GW. Several other soft and hard counters may exist.
-KO moves become much harder to land at high% when her combos become easier to escape.
-poor range and priority on most of her moves
-sing

Combos

Everyone basically knows the, U-tilt>U-Air>Rest combo, which is sexy, but you can make up your own while playing, the possibilites are endless, especially against people with bad DI.

U-air>Rest (Yes this works)

Pound>U-Air(X2)-Rest

Wall of Pain

B-air>U-tilt>U-air>Rest

Drill>Rest (Very unlikely, but when you pull this off, it's awsome)

Nair>Rest(This rarely happens, but it's cool)

Pound>U-air>U-Tilt>Rest

Pound>Rest

Pound>U-air>U-tilt>Rest

F-Air>Jab*Force get up*>Rest (One of the hardest rest combos possible)

There are much more but i can't think of them right now. Feel free to throw some in, and i'll add them to the list.

Tricks and Tech

Dash-Canceling:

It is now possible to cancel a dash by crouching. This is extremely significant most importantly because it allows for DC up-tilts.

Dash-dancing:

I cannot express how much Jigglypuff benefits from dash dancing. You can do almost anything out of it, grabs, f-airs, b-airs, you name it, it can happen. This also sets up for combos sometimes, leading from dash dance into bair ****, or anything you want.

SHADing and The Pseudo-Waveland:

I assume you all know what SHADing is. When you airdodge and land while buffering shield you'll slide while shielding, the legnth of the slide varies by character, and Jiggs is long enough to be useful. You can buffer anything usable OOS from this, but the best use of this is to buffer shield right before an aerial autocancels, this will give you a somewhat increased range for grabs OR a safer retreating option.

There seems like there are a lot of potential uses for SHADing and the pseudowaveland. It definitely improves her ability to combo f-air and b-air into grabs.

I personally don't use this, but i'll leave it in.

How to kill.

Jiggs has the best low% KO ability of any character in the game. Period. As the opponent gets to higher % however, her options shrink drastically. For now I'll just list the more common ways of KOing.

Gimping
stage spiking
comboing into rest
perfect resting
f-smash (higher %)
up-tilt (higher %)
rollout (Very rarely you'll kill like this)
d-smash edgeguard (This is one of the hardest things to do, don't do it unless you know for sure that you'll make it happen)
strong dash attack (high%)
soft f-air to strong f-air combo
Offstage WoP

Moveset Overview

Throw formula:
[first actionable frame (w) - release frame (w) = lag]

f-throw: [30-13=25] b-throw: [50-26=24]* u-throw: [42-9=31]* d-throw: [90-67=23]

*weight dependent

Up-tilt: One of her most beneficiary moves at low%, it sets up for a drastic amount of combos. It comes out very quickly and has very little ending lag. The knockback on this move is nearly vertical and low enough early on so it can combo into rest. Aw higher percents however (140% and upwards) it can kill, or lead up to a kill. The downfall of the move is actually getting the hit in. The problem inherent in this move is actually landing it. Its hitbox extends a surprising distance back due to its disjoint but has pitiful range in front. This moves range is very small in general

Damage: 9 ~-<~>-~ Combos into: Every other move. Seriously...
Setups: FF strong or weak nair, land-canceled d-air, autocanceled up-air, back air, weak f-air, up-smash...
Applicable Techniques / weirdness: Dash-canceled up-tilt, setting c-stick to attacks, pseudo-wavelanding, pivot walking.

Up-Smash: This move is probably Jigglypuff's best smash. It has quite the amount of KO potential, but no combo ability. It's time to shine is when it comes to tech chasing. This can kill if tech chased right at high percents, and if the opponent is bad, you might even be able to do some moves after it to lead into a kill. Boost smashing this move is where the sex is at.

The boost-smash, because of its speed and the distance covered (the greatest of any of her moves) is a very good tech chase option. Rest, rollout and n-air are also good tech chase options (I'm gonna make a section on this). An important distinction of the boost-smash is how fast it moves and that it can combo at some %. This actually lets you set up combos into rest out of a tech chased roll! Obviously its also a good way to punish general retardness or wonderful mistakes (your call :p) like people landing onstage from the helpless state,

Down-Smash: This smash is really not very good. You'll almost never end up using it, EVER. I mean you might be able to get in an edgeguard with this if you're lucky and get the timing right, but you'd be much better off not even trying for it at all. Onstage, you might use this if people roll into you, or can techchase, but other then that you'll never be using it, which is pretty disappointing.

Setups: trip, missed tech, noob roll spam, opponent recovering with up-b, opponent attacked by bees.
Applicable Techniques / weirdness: Dash Canceling! This is really useful for getting that edgeguard.

Down-Air:
This move is pretty good, but not as good as her other aerials. You'll be able to get D-air rests only if your oppnent is ******** and doesnt know how to shield/DI.
On stage, it's not very useful, you might be able to do D-Air to like techase into a grab or dash attack, but other then that you don't really want to use it on stage.
When ledge dropping however, you can use dair to get back onstage and it's quite effective, you can hit through their shield and end up behind them, just make them eat the damage on the shield, or even make them take damage and lead into some sort of combo. It's also very useful for when people try to recover, you can dair them to give them enough knockback so that they are away from the stage, and you can N-Air/F-Air/B-air them and keep them offstage.

I think that D-Air is a very viable move if used properly.

Rest: "The ****"

When Jigglypuff falls asleep, she dreams of the nuclear chaos writhing at the center of all things. Those close to her briefly touch the mind of Jigglypuff, and are lost (Lovecraft anyone?). To understand how powerful rest is, watch the opening scene of Akira.

Rest in B+ is about as good as an oreo clondike bar (amazing). It KOs incredibly early, has many setups, and deals a ton of damage. What keeps it from being too good is how incredibly punishable it is. The comic amount of lag after this move makes it punishable on KO... really punishable. Obviously writing all the ways it could be punished would be stupid, since I'd be hurting myself by revealing this info. However, I will say that Pit, if he reads your DI, can easily wrack up massive damage off one combo (upon respawn). Ganon can just flat out kill Jiggs on respawn, even at incredibly low %.

Basically you want to combo into rest at as close to 40% as possible on most characters, since that is almost always a KOunless its the last stock, in which case go for the kill.For those of you who read all my old rest research: rest cannot interrupt multi-hit moves anywhere near as well as in vBrawl. Perfect rests still work, in the exact same manner, making rest an insane combo breaker. Depending on the situation, this may be another point to use rest.
Priority: Rest beats everything as a result of its invincibility frames. The only way it doesn't hit is if the opponent is invincible or you flat out miss.
knockback angle: 45°, so DI won't drastically change the KO%. It also means rest KOs to the side now. If rest KOs off the top, it is not punishable.
Setups: weak nair or f-air, b-air, up-air, land-canceled d-air, autocanceled up-air, pound (not universal), up-tilt, up-smash, d-throw (not universal), up-throw (not universal), ledge-canceled sing, item tricks.
Applicable Techniques / weirdness: OOS rest, Wavelanding into buffered rest, spotdodge to rest, perfect shield to rest, perfect rest, rest interrupts!

Veril said this perfectly, so i'll just leave this in and not edit it :)

Grab and Throws: Jigglypuff has a ridiculous grab range, especially with the pivot grab. In addition, she has a lot of ways to get a grab, and has a boost grab!

F-Throw/B-Throw: F-Throw and B-Throw are Jiggs two best throws. F-throw, if not DI'd, can actually kill, even if DI'd, it sets up for gimps, kills, anything. However, it does not set up for any sort of combo. B-throw is by far much worse then F-throw, considering it doesn't ever kill, and it ends up making opponents going somewhat upwards, which makes them harder to kill.

U-throw: This move as of right now, is VERY viable, but will be fixed shortly. This move can kill as early as 140% on certain characters, but once you get to 160% on semi-light characters it's a guaranteed kill. You never want to use this unless going for a kill, because it doesn't lead into anything except you taking damage.

D-throw: Don't use this.... ever. It's really, really bad. It leads into nothing, and you can really do nothing afterwards. (There's really not much i can say about this, because it's so crappy)

Overall, Jiggs d-throw followups are largely negated by DI, and there's no reason an opponent will mess it up more than once. Of course, if they do they might just lose a stock. Still, Jiggs throws aren't very good

Characters that can be d-air rested w/o DI (rough combo range): CF (0-120), DDD (0-20), Falco (0-105), Fox (0-85) "looks at Glick", Ike (0-20), Martha (0-40), Link (0-?), Pit (0-?), Sonic (0-?), Snake (0-?).
Characters that can be d-air up-aired w/o DI: the above +: dK, DK, ICs, Ivysaur, Mario, Olimar, Rob, Sheik, Wolf.

N-Air: Here is one of my favourite Jigglypuff Aerials. This move is the definition of gimp, especially on tether characters. This move has just enough hitstun, that it can lead into u-tilt and then the combos begin. If you use a nair while infront of your opponent and they shield it, you'll most likely always end up behind them which will lead into a grab. Now for gimping with this. Whenever your opponent is trying to get back on stage, you can run out and nair him, the knockback is minor, but on certain characters it can be a life or death situation. I know with Toon Link, if you nair him low enough, there's no way he's coming back. Especially with tether characters, you can drop down and nair if they are just hanging there(Oh snaps rhymes), but that most likely won't happen unless they are terrible. N-Air can also help out with WoP surprisingly. If you're doing WoP's and you get a weak hit with your F-Air, you can N-Air right after and they'll be in enough stun that you can get in another fair and just keep them going.

Dash Attack: There isn't really much i can say about this move, other then it's good for tech chasing. If you can read your opponent like a book, you'll be able to hit dash attack almost every time on them. It can actually kill if your opponent is not expecting it, like, if you're close enough to the edge, and your opponent rolls towards the edge and you dash attack, it will most likely kill, because your opponent won't expect a dash attack of all moves, and most likely won't DI out of the way. Even if it doesn't kill, it'll lead into a gimp of some sort.

Tech Chasing:

Ah yes, the tech chase, one of my favourite things to do with Jiggs. Once you get really good at reads, and just knowing what to do, you'll be able to tech chase in no time.

Jigglypuff has many options when tech chasing, you can grab, smash boost a U-Smash, Dash Attack, and even Rest. Tech chasing is a big part in Jigglypuffs game, without it, you won't be doing good in many matchups. I can't really teach you how to tech chase per say, because each person is different and you just have to know after a while where they are going to go. You just have to practice, see what you're most comfortable with, and just go from there.

Tech chasing with Rest when you're opponent is on a platform above and and rolls is pretty sexy though, you should try it out.

The art of the gimp:

Gimping is a MAJOR part of Jigglypuffs game, MAAAJJJOOORRRR.

Jiggs has the gayest playstyle when it comes to gimping, you can do F-throw into like N-Air at low % on certain characters off stage and just keep them off.

Get used to N-Air, you'll be using it alot. If your opponent is low, you can N-Air ontop, and just watch the opponent fall. You can do low% wall of pains, grab onto the ledge and start it up again. The possibilities are endless when it comes to gimping with Jigglypuff, you just have to figure out what works best with you.

Videos

I will add to this as soon as i'm at home and have access to youtube.

Jer

Smash Ace
Matchup Discussion

Bowser

Captain Falcon

Charizard

Diddy Kong

Donkey Kong

Falco

Fox

Ganondorf

Ice Climbers

Ike

Ivysaur

Jigglypuff

King Dedede

Kirby

Link

Lucario

Lucas

Luigi

Mario

Marth

MetaKnight

Game and Watch

Ness

Olimar

Peach

Pikachu

Pit

ROB

Samus

Sheik

Snake

Sonic

Toon Link

Wario

Wolf

Yoshi

Zelda

Zero Suit Samus

Sulfur

Smash Apprentice
I feel like this guide will become more complete once/if the changelist is released.
As it is, it's decent and covers all of the important parts of her game.
I'm interested in her MU vs ivysaur, lucas, and marth. Thoughts?

Veril

Frame Savant
I hope Jigglypuff gets that back air range buff she desperately needs.
lol oh god no

Veril pm'd me them not too long ago, just because i was taking over the thread. I don't think im allowed to post them though.
Jer, those are the 6.0 changes from vBrawl ;p
Silly boy! You can and should post it.

The upcoming changes for Jiggs are already public (bair range reverted to vBrawl, up-throw won't kill).

Alphatron

Smash Champion
What do I do vs. game & Watch if I don't want to pick another character?

Veril

Frame Savant
The bair range buff improves it a ton, but that can be said for all of Jigglypuff's bad matchups (and a major reason it needs to be removed). Once that's gone... seriously get a second for GW.

Here's the worst matchups for Jiggs imo:
GW, Zelda, Captain Falcon. Olimar and Luigi are at least soft-counters.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Need. Match-Up. Advice. Now.

I hate having a really good Zelda and GaW in my area. And on top of that still having no idea what to do against MK and having all the vBrawl players pick him cause it's just easier than learning a char. :p

Jer

Smash Ace
Don't approach zelda from above, ever. You'll always get usmash and that sucks le shlong.

Try and get in with pounds, and use back airs to your advantage for mindgames.

Get in grabs as much as possible, gimping is ehh, but if you can punish after up b you should be good.

As for gaw, im not too experienced in the matchup

Bandit

Smash Lord
Need. Match-Up. Advice. Now.

I hate having a really good Zelda and GaW in my area. And on top of that still having no idea what to do against MK and having all the vBrawl players pick him cause it's just easier than learning a char. :p
Zelda: Force off her off the stage to UpB recover. Grab the ledge to force an on-stage recover and anticipate the recovery spot. Rest accordingly.

I played Glick's Jigglypuff, and I was rest-comboed once, but it was more from inexperience in the match-up. http://www.youtube.com/jcaesar007/ It was a money match at the Hackfest before Pound 4.

Baiting Fsmash is not ideal as it has little wind down and she can always follow with Jab which also has little wind down. Baiting Usmash is ideal, but she can challenge you with Nair instead as a safer defense.

Zelda shouldn't be lightning kicking you since you are small, mobile, and she doesn't have any combos into lightning kick.

This really comes off as Zelda's fight to lose, but with Jiggs' aerial mobility, the bait opportunities are there to apply some real punishment.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Fsmash can be beaten until Bair get's it's range nerf, you just have to swing above the hitbox, and since she leans forward you'll get her.

Can't rely on Rest comboes. And Riot seems to clash LK's into me almost constantly. It's ludicrous. I'll try to zone with Bairs, and he'll just clash in the Air and I get LK'd. So frustrating.

Any MK advice? He's all faster than me(on the ground) and all disjointed and hard for me to hit or combo.

Jer

Smash Ace
So after this weekend, i've come to the conclusion that Ganondorf may be a counter to Jiggs. Event hough were still able to combo the **** off Ganon, the way Jab works, it kills (At high percents of course), and Fair getting through Shield hurts alot too.

I seem to be having most of my trouble against Ganons, Kage and pkmvodka use Ganon and can beat me. I'm still not too sure what to do, it may be because i play too aggro, but it's one of the harder matchups for me.

Yoshi is one too, getting in is a bit if a problem, but you can do rest combos early on, but ones he gets to High%, good luck getting anywhere near. Edgeguarding Yoshi is a joke, it's extremely hard, especially on stages with walls, due to egg roll bringing back the second jump.

kr3wman

Smash Master
hey jer, whats your thoughts on the jiggs/falcon matchup

There's this guy I can beat consistently, but any help would be cool.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Yoshi is one too, getting in is a bit if a problem, but you can do rest combos early on, but ones he gets to High%, good luck getting anywhere near. Edgeguarding Yoshi is a joke, it's extremely hard, especially on stages with walls, due to egg roll bringing back the second jump.
Good thing he's losing that infinite stall then...

Jer

Smash Ace
I'm not too sure about the matchup, CF kinda gets ***** when he's offstage by Jiggs, but CF is really fast and can get in and out against Jiggs.

You can pull off some easy combos against Jiggs, even if i DI right, but if i bait you i can get in combos with rest or wops, i think the MU is maybe 60:40 for Jiggs? Or even more not too sure.

Glick

Smash Lord
Matchups for jigglypuff are impossible right now.

I agree with yoshi.

other then that I can't be sure of anything.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
Sonic vs Jigglypuff is **** hard, and I definitely think it's in Jiggly's favor.

Her dancing through the air ***** Sonic's dancing through the ground.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Bowser vs. Jigglypuff. Once I'm offstage, how do I ever recover. Aerial UpB is punishable on hit as Jiggs can simply use rest. I could just try to knock her away before recovering but I usually just end up trading hits with stuff.

Top Bottom