• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reverse Ledge DI

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Reverse ledge DI is when you DI an edgeguard but end up flying back onto the stage rather than bouncing off the edge and back off the stage. This will occasionally happen at seemingly random times, and typically people attribute it to luck, but a long time ago I cracked this technique and use it with about a 50% success rate depending on which character I'm using (including on console).

Here's how to perform the reverse ledge DI:

1. DO NOT sweetspot the edge. You need to have your character be a significant amount above the edge while still riding the wall. Basically, sweetspot as poorly as you can without landing on the stage.

2. Input DI as you normally would. I'm not sure if it matters which way you DI, but I always DI UP and TOWARDS the stage.

If you smash DI high enough above the edge and bounce off the edge from this position, you will get the magical reverse ledge DI. It can be quite the lifesaver against gimps and seemingly impossible recovery situations (such as against Pikachu's f-smash). It's most useful as Mario, Luigi, Link, Falcon, Kirby, Samus, and Fox.

Reverse ledge DI will NOT work if the opponent manages to hit you before you get high enough above the edge. If Pikachu's f-smash is already out before you get to the edge, you won't be able to pull it off. However, if Pikachu is slightly late, you can reverse DI his f-smash and survive.

Pikachu is a really good character to practice the technique with. You don't even need someone good to practice it with either. Just jump off the edge and have him try to f-smash edgeguard repeatedly.

Feel free to ask any questions.

dandan

Smash Lord
actually you can reverse DI from below to certain moves like fox dair, although they require down and into the platform DI.
you can also reverse DI pika fsmash from under the platform, but it is really hard.

btw, the best DI that can be done is near the edge DI, when you stand on a platform, near the edge (not directly on the edge) and get usmashed, you can DI yourself into the edge even though you are not anywhere close to it for normal smash DI, if i am not mistaken you need to DI towards the edge and down, then up, then toward the edge and down again, anyhow, i am failing to see how people without keyboards will pull it off.

yeah buddy

Smash Rookie
could you make a video of this? I'd love to see how its done/how it works. I have a friend who constantly spams pika's fsmash against me and I'd like nothing more than to rattle his cage.

Top Bottom